Remove this Banner Ad

I think we will be choosing between 2 or hopefully 3 of the following
One will be gone before our pick

Langford
Smilie
Reid
Lindsay
Travaglia

I am ok with all of them and trust our team to know what the right mix is and who translates to AFL.

I suspect Lindsay and Travaglia get extra points from Ross because they fit his game plan best but possibly the 2 least certain to end up mids at AFL level.

I think if Reid makes it he makes it as a Mid he does his best work in traffic we really don’t know what his running capability is since he sat out the combine but our recruiters will. If his GPS stats measures up OK I am not worried by his size he has that long body short leg low centre of gravity build that will ultimately give him the ability to play inside. Daicos type build. What would hold him back is if his running ability is not up to AFL level mid he will need to get from contest to contest and run forward to back in Ross’s game plan if they don’t think he can do that then I expect we will let him slide. He is one of my favourites so good to watch and such a contrast with all the others. If he has the running ability will be a high possession class mid, if he doesn’t he will be a too slow HFF and probably a bust.

Travaglia I really like as well at worst he is a very good intercepting and running HBF. He just gets involved in games, seems to know where to be and be on the move early. At best he translates all that to the midfield like Will Day did but that might be expecting too much. Him and NWM could be an awesome combo off HB

Lindsay didn’t pop for me when watching the champs games even his first quarter dominance in the VM v VC game wasn’t particularly eye catching. But he looks like a Ross Lyon type of player can kick, can run, defends basically ticks a lot of boxes but he looks more Wing HFF than mid. Probably a safe bet to be a good AFL player but might be more a role player than a difference maker. I might be underselling him and he played well in the middle in the CTL so will trust the process come draft time.

We have to take one of Smilie and Langford both would be in our midfield sooner rather than later don’t think we will have access to both but if we did we could have the tallest midfield group ever with Pou Langford and Smilie would be a bit unbalanced but certainly a point of difference.

My personal preference
7. Smilie/Langford which ever is left
8. Reid
9. Travaglia

I am assuming Tauru is gone to North early
Trainor would have been in this mix but the concussions are too risky this high in the draft now
Berry and Hotton are my next level down and Dalrymple might have them higher than I imagine
Not sold on Bo Allan but he is a bit hidden away in WA so again will trust the recruiters if he is in the mix

We might not have many later picks and they might all go on Cole and Hoffman but I also like
  • Rhys Unwin will be later in the draft he was really good fighting against the tide in the CTL grand final.
  • Dattoli - 20-30 Strikes me as one of those Sydney style nuggets that a just good footballers with an appetite for the contest
  • Dodson - 20-30 Looks like a good ruck who can actually get involved around the ground will be a good investment for whoever picks him (talented rucks are good trade chips down the track tend to increase in value as time goes on)

There are also a whole bunch of talls who I really haven’t spent any time looking at given our midfield needs and the Cole Hoffman presumption none of them really screamed pick me when whatching the Champs games but there will be diamonds amongst them

16. Murphy Reid (18)

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

MID/FWD, 180cm

2024 Champs: 4 games, 24.5 disposals, 3.2 clearances, 1.0 goals

Talent League: 8 games, 27.2 disposals, 4.4 clearances, 1.1 goals

Reid's season has been superb. For school, club and state his performances see him continue to ascend draft boards to the point of garnering top-10 consideration. He's a damaging midfielder that finds himself on the receiving end of play to finish chances in the forward 50, and his inside ball-winning ability is underrated. The question marks on Reid stem from his athletic profile -- he isn't one to exit congestion with speed or chase down opponents defensively. It's more likely Reid finds a role outside the centre square at the next level where his skills and creativity can shine.

Best traits similar to: Gryan Miers

Disastrous for us.

Surely we do the trade 9 & F3 for our F1 & 27.

F2, F3 to Port for their F2 & Soldo.

8 & 9 for 3 & 26.

In: 3, 26, Soldo
Outs: 8, F1, 27.
We’d be able to get a lot more in return for 3+26 with 8&9 if 12&14 is anywhere close to getting 3

I think we will be choosing between 2 or hopefully 3 of the following
One will be gone before our pick

Langford
Smilie
Reid
Lindsay
Travaglia

I am ok with all of them and trust our team to know what the right mix is and who translates to AFL.

I suspect Lindsay and Travaglia get extra points from Ross because they fit his game plan best but possibly the 2 least certain to end up mids at AFL level.

I think if Reid makes it he makes it as a Mid he does his best work in traffic we really don’t know what his running capability is since he sat out the combine but our recruiters will. If his GPS stats measures up OK I am not worried by his size he has that long body short leg low centre of gravity build that will ultimately give him the ability to play inside. Daicos type build. What would hold him back is if his running ability is not up to AFL level mid he will need to get from contest to contest and run forward to back in Ross’s game plan if they don’t think he can do that then I expect we will let him slide. He is one of my favourites so good to watch and such a contrast with all the others. If he has the running ability will be a high possession class mid, if he doesn’t he will be a too slow HFF and probably a bust.

Travaglia I really like as well at worst he is a very good intercepting and running HBF. He just gets involved in games, seems to know where to be and be on the move early. At best he translates all that to the midfield like Will Day did but that might be expecting too much. Him and NWM could be an awesome combo off HB

Lindsay didn’t pop for me when watching the champs games even his first quarter dominance in the VM v VC game wasn’t particularly eye catching. But he looks like a Ross Lyon type of player can kick, can run, defends basically ticks a lot of boxes but he looks more Wing HFF than mid. Probably a safe bet to be a good AFL player but might be more a role player than a difference maker. I might be underselling him and he played well in the middle in the CTL so will trust the process come draft time.

We have to take one of Smilie and Langford both would be in our midfield sooner rather than later don’t think we will have access to both but if we did we could have the tallest midfield group ever with Pou Langford and Smilie would be a bit unbalanced but certainly a point of difference.

My personal preference
7. Smilie/Langford which ever is left
8. Reid
9. Travaglia

I am assuming Tauru is gone to North early
Trainor would have been in this mix but the concussions are too risky this high in the draft now
Berry and Hotton are my next level down and Dalrymple might have them higher than I imagine
Not sold on Bo Allan but he is a bit hidden away in WA so again will trust the recruiters if he is in the mix

We might not have many later picks and they might all go on Cole and Hoffman but I also like
  • Rhys Unwin will be later in the draft he was really good fighting against the tide in the CTL grand final.
  • Dattoli - 20-30 Strikes me as one of those Sydney style nuggets that a just good footballers with an appetite for the contest
  • Dodson - 20-30 Looks like a good ruck who can actually get involved around the ground will be a good investment for whoever picks him (talented rucks are good trade chips down the track tend to increase in value as time goes on)

There are also a whole bunch of talls who I really haven’t spent any time looking at given our midfield needs and the Cole Hoffman presumption none of them really screamed pick me when whatching the Champs games but there will be diamonds amongst them
👍 smashed it.

A very interesting watch on YouTube is “Exclusive: Draft Night drama 2018 AFL National Draft”. It features SOS in charge of the Carlton war room , with them mentioning several times that Liam Stocker was their 6th rated player overall , in a super draft with Walsh , The King Brothers , Rankine , Rozee , Butters , etc. Gee , I hope Ross has SOS on a short leash.
yeah SOS really came off like an A grade moron from that draft, hope to f the pimple is calling the shots..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’d be able to get a lot more in return for 3+26 with 8&9 if 12&14 is anywhere close to getting 3

Perhaps, it might be dependent on what Barrass eventually nets them. I'd still do the trade, I'd even skip Bombers altogether and just trade 8 & F1. Either way, I want to jump up, I've gone back to FOS, Lalor, Draper, Smith, Smillie & maybe Langford (in that order) being a cut above for mids.

A very interesting watch on YouTube is “Exclusive: Draft Night drama 2018 AFL National Draft”. It features SOS in charge of the Carlton war room , with them mentioning several times that Liam Stocker was their 6th rated player overall , in a super draft with Walsh , The King Brothers , Rankine , Rozee , Butters , etc. Gee , I hope Ross has SOS on a short leash.
Hope I’m not speaking out of school here, but the issue with SOS and the team is that they did zero due diligence on Stocker before selecting him.

Had no idea about his mental health concerns and anxiety. Most clubs took the time to speak to his teachers etc.

I doubt he’d make the same mistake again.

Perhaps, it might be dependent on what Barrass eventually nets them. I'd still do the trade, I'd even skip Bombers altogether and just trade 8 & F1. Either way, I want to jump up, I've gone back to FOS, Lalor, Draper, Smith, Smillie & maybe Langford (in that order) being a cut above for mids.
I’d only jump up for FOS. Others are not worth it given various question marks

16. Murphy Reid (18)

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

MID/FWD, 180cm

2024 Champs: 4 games, 24.5 disposals, 3.2 clearances, 1.0 goals

Talent League: 8 games, 27.2 disposals, 4.4 clearances, 1.1 goals

Reid's season has been superb. For school, club and state his performances see him continue to ascend draft boards to the point of garnering top-10 consideration. He's a damaging midfielder that finds himself on the receiving end of play to finish chances in the forward 50, and his inside ball-winning ability is underrated. The question marks on Reid stem from his athletic profile -- he isn't one to exit congestion with speed or chase down opponents defensively. It's more likely Reid finds a role outside the centre square at the next level where his skills and creativity can shine.

Best traits similar to: Gryan Miers
Reminds me a bit of what they were saying g about Zach Merret in his draft year, where he wasn't expected to play midfield at AFL level.

Reminds me a bit of what they were saying g about Zach Merret in his draft year, where he wasn't expected to play midfield at AFL level.
Zach Merrett is more comparable to Lindsay than Reid imo

Both exceptional kicks and spread extremely well with their above average leg speed and cruising speed, but limited size creates doubt over AFL midfield ability

Reid is an ok kick with an elite handball. Lacks the ability to spread like the others. At his size, the only comparison I see is Lachie Neale but let’s be real, how likely is it he becomes that? Over/under 1%?

For someone who gets pushed off the ball Murphy Reid sure gets the ball a lot.

In the National Championships only Jagga, Lombard, Langford & Ashcroft touched it more.

Contested possession ratio of 37.8% only Smillie, Jagga, Langford & Lombard with more CP's.

Better clearance rate than Ashcroft in the championships.

Ranked ahead of Jagga & Langford for tackles in the championships.

None of the ranked mids kicked more goals than him in the Championships.

EDIT: I haven't checked Reid's numbers against every single players U18 Championship Stats, but put together a quick table for comparison that included: Leo Lombard, Bo Allan, Xavier Lindsay, Josh Smillie, Tom Gross, Murphy Reid, Harvey Langford, Sam Lalor, Christian Moraes, Cooper Hynes, Tobie Travaglia, Luke Trainor, Jagga Smith, Finn O'Sullivan, Sid Draper, Levi Ashcroft & Jesse Dattoli.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back