List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Who do you want with Pick 5 (6)?

• Luke Trainor (194cm, Key Defender, Sandringham Dragons)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bo Allan (191cm, Midfielder/Defender, Peel Thunder)

• Tobie Travaglia (187cm, Defender, Bendigo Pioneers)

• Taj Hotton (182cm, Forward/Midfielder, Sandringham Dragons)

• Alix Tauru (191cm, Key Defender, Gippsland Power)

• Trade the pick (let Lamb burn the place to the ground)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Lachie Hunter (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited by a moderator:
Get what you're saying re current cap space/pressure, but it's not like he's only on $1 million per in 2025. He'll also be around that figure in 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029 and 2030. Keeping him would require an enormous amount of faith that he returns to near the player he was, because that sort of money could see us struggle to bring in future targets or impact our ability to retain some of our own talent if they break out.

If he had one (or even maybe two) years left on that deal, then I agree that it wouldn't really be worth trading him for peanuts due to our current situation. But you'd hope that by the back end of that deal, we're in contention again, and I'd hate to be hamstrung by it if he doesn't bounce back.
If we were that worried about it we'd be shopping him around ourselves. I think Geelong are seeing if we'll blink and I honestly doubt we do.

I'm not against trading him, I just think out of the all the clubs they are bottom 3 for getting a decent draft picks, money off our books or a player back.

They have a history of underpaying for players and will need us to pay a sizeable part of his contract.

Why the **** would we sell him at his low for bargain basement return.

Might as well wait 12 months and see if he comes good as he can’t get anymore ****ed than he is now.

Sure if we get offered good returns pull the trigger now but if the options are bargain basement in 2024 or bargain basement in 2025, we may as well wait out the year. Not as if we need cap space.

If we were that worried about it we'd be shopping him around ourselves. I think Geelong are seeing if we'll blink and I honestly doubt we do.
Are you sure we’re not? The clubs language around this sounds different to that used about Petracca. It seems possible that we may have done a Tom McDonald / ANB thing and told Oliver that we would be okay if he wanted to explore his options.

Get what you're saying re current cap space/pressure, but it's not like he's only on $1 million per in 2025. He'll also be around that figure in 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029 and 2030.
His contract is also aggregated to any increase in salary cap / player payments along the way.

So he’s probably going to be on $1.3m+ in his last couple of years.

Are you sure we’re not? The clubs language around this sounds different to that used about Petracca. It seems possible that we may have done a Tom McDonald / ANB thing and told Oliver that we would be okay if he wanted to explore his options.
It's possible but the way this is being reported it sounds like its coming from Oliver and other clubs. Just my reading of it.

Hes a contracted player so you’d think Geelong will have contacted us to ask if we would be ok with them meeting.

That's absolutely what's happening, and it makes sense considering their needs and relative lack of capital.

And if we're not worried about it (the contract), that's a big concern in itself. There have been numerous decisions made over the past couple of years that have appeared to lack future planning as we've continued to double down on a list/gamestyle that caught lightning in a bottle three years ago.

Continuing to back Oliver comes with an enormous risk. It could pay off. But even if it does, I still doubt he drives us back into contention in the near future.

If it doesn't pay off and he regresses further, it becomes a disaster.

It's a question regarding asset management that needs to be answered without emotion/sentimentality by the club, and not much that we've done over recent times gives me faith that we'll approach that question in the right way.

Imagine if he got back to 90+% peak Oliver and took them to the flag in 2025.

The stories of how we paid for their premiership and got some shit picks back that turned into another VFL spud.

Too much risk on our side to sell him on the cheap.

If there was a top 10 pick on the table I would take the punt but another pick in the 30s is useless to us.

Every chance he comes good again in 2025, and the risk of that for a pick 30 is idiotic. We don’t need the cap space, just play him down at Casey for the season if we have to opposed to giving our opponents a leg up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's absolutely what's happening, and it makes sense considering their needs and relative lack of capital.

And if we're not worried about it (the contract), that's a big concern in itself. There have been numerous decisions made over the past couple of years that have appeared to lack future planning as we've continued to double down on a list/gamestyle that caught lightning in a bottle three years ago.

Continuing to back Oliver comes with an enormous risk. It could pay off. But even if it does, I still doubt he drives us back into contention in the near future.

It's a question regarding asset management that needs to be answered without emotion/sentimentality by the club, and not much that we've done over recent times gives me faith that we'll approach that question in the right way.
If we do trade him I would personally rather take on a portion of his salary and get a decent pick back than sell him for a second rounder to get it all off. Once he's gone we're in full rebuild mode and won't have anyone worth giving that salary to anyway so stock up on picks and bring on the next generation.

If we do trade him I would personally rather take on a portion of his salary and get a decent pick back than sell him for a second rounder to get it all off. Once he's gone we're in full rebuild mode and won't have anyone worth giving that salary to anyway so stock up on picks and bring on the next generation.
I tend to agree; however, it's a long time to be on the hook for a former player.

Geelong would not pay for Olivers full contract under any circumstances, it goes against every list building and contract strategy they've employed over the past 20 years. They would only take him if we payed for a large portion of his contract, or if he renegotiated a new (much) lower contract with Geelong.

I'm guessing Clayton found this out when he met them and now he's "happy" to stay at Melbourne.

Hopefully a stupider club than Geelong makes a play for him

We do seem to have something of a sunk cost issue in our planning, and it’s holding us back from creative change.

Do you tell your current employer about upcoming job interviews you have?
I do. For reference reasons - less of a problem with Oliver.

Two articles say that we didn’t know about this meeting, but neither suggest we mind too much.

Almost as though we gave Oliver leave to look around.

Trade him.

This is exactly what we're going to have to put up with each and every year whilst he's on this ridiculous contract.

He's a distraction to this footy club in season and off season.

Do it Goody.

If he goes it will be on our terms due to his long term contract. If it is Geelong Dekonning needs to be included.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Back