List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Who do you want with Pick 5 (6)?

• Luke Trainor (194cm, Key Defender, Sandringham Dragons)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bo Allan (191cm, Midfielder/Defender, Peel Thunder)

• Tobie Travaglia (187cm, Defender, Bendigo Pioneers)

• Taj Hotton (182cm, Forward/Midfielder, Sandringham Dragons)

• Alix Tauru (191cm, Key Defender, Gippsland Power)

• Jobe Shanahan (194cm, Key Forward, Allies)

• Split the pick (let JT cook)

• Trade the pick (let Lamb burn the place to the ground)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:

Well... running is only one part of the game, albeit a pretty important one. I'll assume you're talking more endurance than pace as you mentioned Ashcroft who's not quick.

Ashcroft as you said has excellent endurance, FOS has posted elite yoyo times in the past, he'll be an excellent runner.
Ashcroft was the only one who looked close to complete. So I mentioned him bcuse the others didn't really impress compared to past years checking on likely types.

Jagga is elite in this area, never stops. Lombard has endurance and burst. Langford posted poor speed test numbers but his yoyo was well above average and in general he gets around the ground really well. Lindsay has foot speed and endurance. Smillie is above average.

There are plenty outside the first round that are also excellent runners, like Moraes and Gross.
I'm looking for what I think our current team lacks. Foot-speed off the half-backline and thru the middle... with the skills to hit-up short targets inside F50.

It's the run&carry types, who can also play inside the contest, we Need... run&carry with the step to zigzag thru and out of traffic.
These are the types weed need, imv.
But also, the types who will be in highest demand, across the afl teams this draft.

Last edited:
Brisbane's first is an option for us, Dees are into it. They need the points.

Also apparently talking to Gold Coast about a similar deal to Geelong getting Bowes (player and pick for salary cap relief). Not sure on the player though.

Second hand info, but rumour that Houston was spotted catching up with Richo and Jack Viney so perhaps that one's not totally dead in the water?
Houston would be awesome but the problem is he’d dilute our draft capital and we really need to bring some kids in.

I’m concerned that the senior players would far prefer that we bring in Houston than use pick 5 on a kid who won’t be at his peak for 4-5 years.

Hopefully we stand strong and use the picks on kids.

Supposed to be a strong draft, do we try get another first rounder this year... Future 1st/Split pick 5 this year
Maybe we could downshift P5 & our future 1st Rnd pick, to Freo or Other team, for a pick around P9 or P10, and another 2024 1st Rnd pick inside the top 13 picks... bring them forward into this draft.
I'd also try to trade in another into the bottom end of Rnd 1 2024 draft.

3 picks within the 1st Rnd, just not in the top 9 picks.

We will have at least 2 picks in the 2nd Rnd. Maybe bring a future 2nd Rnd pick into play this year.

Next years draft, we can bring 2 yrs worth of future picks forward.
And I feel like we will have players to trade out of our list this time next year. To receive valuable picks from.

Also apparently talking to Gold Coast about a similar deal to Geelong getting Bowes (player and pick for salary cap relief). Not sure on the player though.

Second hand info, but rumour that Houston was spotted catching up with Richo and Jack Viney so perhaps that one's not totally dead in the water?
Maybe not but this article did not mention anything about melbourne except the fact he wanted to return to the city.

Houston would be awesome but the problem is he’d dilute our draft capital and we really need to bring some kids in.

I’m concerned that the senior players would far prefer that we bring in Houston than use pick 5 on a kid who won’t be at his peak for 4-5 years.

Hopefully we stand strong and use the picks on kids.
Players making list decisions would be even worse than whatever is happening now! Windsor will probably come top 10 in the b&f? But wouldn't want more youth would we 😔

I'm sort of hoping that deal will carry over to 2025.

Dan Houston​

One more year, and his price will drop next season, with him being 28.5Yrs... for a late first Rnd pick.?

7 chops and 2 retirements. Their fans get all the fun. Meanwhile we extend all the geriatrics.
Yeah their list turnover since the flag has been crazy. Reckon Parfitt is a bit harsh but I guess Geelong just thought other guys had passed him and were happy to let him go find a new home on his own. They don't waste any time trying to get better. Love the attitude.

Yeah their list turnover since the flag has been crazy. Reckon Parfitt is a bit harsh but I guess Geelong just thought other guys had passed him and were happy to let him go find a new home on his own. They don't waste any time trying to get better. Love the attitude.
I assume Geelong players are totally aware that the list decisions ongoing at Geelong are not based on sentiment and nor should they be if you want to stay within reach of success over a long period.

They seem to deal with these things pretty well. And some of their experienced players can find a valuable role in a developing team if their body can still play on. Chappy did pretty well at Essendon.

Bulldogs seemed harsh delisting a great dude and fan favourite in Daniel Cross, but we did very well out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Counter argument would be building a sustainable list profile where we have a mix of young and mature talent that is competitive and creates stronger development opportunities for young players.

As tempting as it is to blow it up and start over, that approach rarely ends well. North a good example, Hawthorn more of an outlier (plus still have some good vets).

Anyway, it's all pretty meaningless until Goodwin is gone.
I agree Scy... we need to bring in class-acts, even if they are long in tooth., as long as we do not give double first Rnd picks for older types. eg Houston... only one first Rnd pick or say No.!

Because our main theme should be our future list... then try to add, to replace lost elite players.

I assume Geelong players are totally aware that the list decisions ongoing at Geelong are not based on sentiment and nor should they be if you want to stay within reach of success over a long period.

They seem to deal with these things pretty well. And some of their experienced players can find a valuable role in a developing team if their body can still play on. Chappy did pretty well at Essendon.

Bulldogs seemed harsh delisting a great dude and fan favourite in Daniel Cross, but we did very well out of it.
Yeah Cats just look at their list and try and work out who they think can help them win a flag. I'm happy with Melk and Tmac getting extensions but they're the sorts of blokes the Cats would cut. They have the cultural capital to do so too.

I'd be surprised if Parfitt didn't have an offer from another club that the Cats didn't want to match. Probably said he'd be playing VFL anyway so go make some money. He's a UFA so delisting him just formalises things quicker.

I agree Scy... we need to bring in class-acts, even if they are long in tooth., as long as we do not give double first Rnd picks for older types. eg Houston... only one first Rnd pick or say No.!

Because our main theme should be our future list... then try to add, to replace lost elite players.
We should hand back our AFL license if we even consider trading Pick 5 and another FRP for Houston. Pick 5 should be off the table altogether, let alone adding more to it.

Proper Gander I feel like Jessica needs another email that reminds them that Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag. Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag. Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag. Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag. Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag. Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag.
692e0bd5ac1e48990b6fd980d8e93a50.gif

Doubt GC will salary dump if they are already getting Lukosius off there books.

They are better off just paying overs for Rioli and asking Richmond to pay a chunk of his salary moving forward.
Lukosius is contracted until 2026.. and with Big Mac contract extension starting from next season, they may well be talking turkey to other clubs.

Another who might be of interest, could be BB king.?
both contracted til 2026.

We should hand back our AFL license if we even consider trading Pick 5 and another FRP for Houston. Pick 5 should be off the table altogether, let alone adding more to it.

Proper Gander I feel like Jessica needs another email that reminds them that Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag. Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag. Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag. Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag. Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag. Melbourne plus Dan Houston doesn't equal another flag.
Totally, with our list in a middle ground state of flux, we have to add to it from the draft... hoping to unearth another kid who might become a future Elite midfielder.

We need so much more, than just Houston.

Well... running is only one part of the game, albeit a pretty important one. I'll assume you're talking more endurance than pace as you mentioned Ashcroft who's not quick.

Ashcroft as you said has excellent endurance, FOS has posted elite yoyo times in the past, he'll be an excellent runner. Jagga is elite in this area, never stops. Lombard has endurance and burst. Langford posted poor speed test numbers but his yoyo was well above average and in general he gets around the ground really well. Lindsay has foot speed and endurance. Smillie is above average.

There are plenty outside the first round that are also excellent runners, like Moraes and Gross.
We need burst speed away from stoppages combined with endurance, from our first pick.

Whats Lindsay like.? Re speed and endurance.? Re our first pick.? sorry Noob, I hadn't finished fully reading your post, Re Lindsay.

I also like jBerry for a mid 1st Rnd pick.

Zero chance in coming to Melbourne. That horse has absolutely bolted with that and we're not willing to split our pick 5 unless something ridiculous comes up.

The club wants to top up with elite talent at the pointy end of the draft and feel that with our pick we can grab a genuine top 3 talent in the draft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Back