List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Who do you want with Pick 5 (6)?

• Luke Trainor (194cm, Key Defender, Sandringham Dragons)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bo Allan (191cm, Midfielder/Defender, Peel Thunder)

• Tobie Travaglia (187cm, Defender, Bendigo Pioneers)

• Taj Hotton (182cm, Forward/Midfielder, Sandringham Dragons)

• Alix Tauru (191cm, Key Defender, Gippsland Power)

• Trade the pick (let Lamb burn the place to the ground)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Lachie Hunter (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited by a moderator:
The timeline reads like Petracca is pushing for this.
A bit concerning if true.

The club should totally be listening to Petracca’s concerns, and anyone else's about the direction of the club.

But if one of the concerns some players may have is about the velvet glove handling of Oliver over the past season, I don’t think the best solution is to show everyone that another of your star players gets to determine hiring and firing at will.

Mind you we do seem to be world-beaters at ordinary people-management so nothing much would surprise me.

When did Dan Hannebery become a Newsbreaker™️?

Anyway:

We're two days into the off-season and I haven't listened to a second of it but I am already exhausted by Trade Radio.

Basically the transcript:

If someone at the club is leaking this stuff to Morris, I hope they realise that it’s not super helpful in getting us a decent return in this trade.

Mind you, it could be just a guess. It was my guess. I should have attached a “sources close to Oliver” have said to my thoughts to make them a bit weightier.

Ah well. We did this with ANB and TMac and both were great the next year. I’m not sure the Oliver thing is as simple but maybe it will have an effect.

As soon as Viney resigned Oliver was always going to be on the trade table. Both are contested players who struggle in other positions contested footy was 2021 Melbourne need to find genuine leg speed in the middle of the ground.

If someone at the club is leaking this stuff to Morris, I hope they realise that it’s not super helpful in getting us a decent return in this trade.

Mind you, it could be just a guess. It was my guess. I should have attached a “sources close to Oliver” have said to my thoughts to make them a bit weightier.

Ah well. We did this with ANB and TMac and both were great the next year. I’m not sure the Oliver thing is as simple but maybe it will have an effect.
We have awful leaks at the club. Some of the worst I've ever seen.

The AFL scrapheap is littered with players who are smart, creative and good kicks but didn't have the size, strength or speed to actual use it.
And for every one of them I think there are three players who were massively overrated for their size, speed or strength on that same scrap heap. If Reid has good endurance to go with his silky skills it's pretty irrelevant.

Oh no you're not getting away that easy
Imacelebrityau GIF by I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! Australia
Finally found someone later than you legs 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance you trade him for a pick over 30. Who cares about his shit contract if we can't pay anyone to come here.
You can always overpay someone to come here like I said yesterday, there will be players who always chase the cash. Decent chance the coach and CEO are out next year, a new coach to bring some hope and optimism again and we remove one of the clubs biggest cancers. It's a massive win to **** Oliver off.

Might as well wait 12 months and see if he comes good as he can’t get anymore ****ed than he is now..
Absolutely it can get worse, he could get back on the gear or fall off again as a player for the 4th year in a row.

And my Sugar style failure to use the mutli quote button continues as I catch-up on the days news. 🤗

Last edited:
Imagine if he got back to 90+% peak Oliver and took them to the flag in 2025.

The stories of how we paid for their premiership and got some shit picks back that turned into another VFL spud.
Who cares, we aren't winning a flag with Oliver and need a rebuild.

I hope that we’ve got some grounds to terminate if he goes awol again.
Doubt it, we gave him the stupidly long deal knowing he had issues. Would have heard about a get out clause after last year's shenanigans at the Lorne camp if we had one from someone in the media I reckon.

For the second year in a row, Melbourne have kicked the tyres with other clubs for their interest in a trade for Clayton Oliver.

For the second year in a row, they have quickly tried to walk that talk back. For the second year in a row, it has not gone well.

The club this week has tried to shut down talk of an Oliver trade. That doesn’t mean the trade is shut down. There are two parties to contracts and while Melbourne wanted to grab their words back after they slipped from their lips, this masthead has reported Oliver is now poised to meet with senior Geelong officials.

Three other club and industry sources with knowledge of trade discussions said that Gary Pert, the Melbourne CEO who has been running two reviews into the club, recently made contact with a number of teams about whether they had an interest in trading for Oliver.
The premiership midfielder, who had well-known troubles last year, is now in a far better physical and mental place. But eager to get into this year’s draft, the Demons were open to discussing a trade. Besides, the club would be seen to be acting aggressively after years of turmoil.

It didn’t pan out as hoped. When a player is put out there for a second year running, it is hard to argue it’s because things have gone well.

In the lead-up to the grand final, amid myriad official AFL functions, word quickly spread within recruiting circles that Oliver was once more on the market.

Adelaide, St Kilda, and Geelong were among clubs that had all looked closely at Oliver last year and thought he was gettable. After the year Oliver had, seemingly content at Melbourne, clubs didn’t pursue the midfielder, nor consider him a chance to be available. That changed in recent weeks when clubs, and the player, learnt of trade discussions.
Geelong were very interested last year at the possibility of landing Oliver, but this year Bailey Smith remains their priority and this renewed Oliver possibility has arisen late.

Melbourne might have wished to hose down the trade talks, but Oliver is now exercising the same rights as the club – to explore his trade options, notwithstanding his contract. As this masthead has exclusively reported, he is poised to meet with Geelong’s CEO Steve Hocking and football boss Andrew Mackie.

This year is different to last. In 2023, the idea came out of the blue that Melbourne would entertain a trade of one of their best three players and there was an immediate and fierce backlash from fans at the prospect.
Melbourne would now argue that part of the rationale for the trade discussion last year was to awaken Oliver and the world to the extent of the problems he was suffering and how difficult things were for him and the club.

Even if Oliver’s football this year – after a terrible, disrupted pre-season – was not at the level of his prime, two weeks ago, he was in a great place. Now he is the subject of renewed trade discussion and wondering if he has to take matters into his own hands and try to move.
This year, the situation is different because the club has not only had the aborted trade discussions of last year with Oliver, they have had the Christian Petracca debacle. Petracca, the 2021 the Norm Smith medallist and four time All-Australian, was so frustrated with the club and the way his serious injury was handled that it was only a long-term contract that kept him from trying to leave.

For a club wishing to redress the image of how they treat their players, tossing one of the best midfielders out there for a second year in a row is an unusual way of doing it.

They have also missed the finals, had their president quit after a radio interview that worsened the problems she was trying to fix and launched two reviews both conducted by the same person.

If you wanted to paint a picture of a club in disarray, this was as subtle as Ken Done.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Early Draft Poll Added

Back