List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Pick 9 & big fish Tom Campbell in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for Pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Alex Neal-Bullen (Traded to Adelaide)
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Lachie Hunter (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)
  • Future First (Traded to Essendon)
  • Future Third (Traded to Adelaide)
  • Picks 40, 54, 65 (Traded to Essendon)
Confirmed ins:
  • Tom Campbell (Free Agent from St Kilda)
  • Pick 9 (Traded from Essendon)
  • Future Third (Traded from Essendon)
On-traded:
  • Pick 28 (from Adelaide, to Essendon)
  • Pick 46 (from Adelaide, to Essendon)

Last edited:
I also love how they throw in how Rioli won the best and fairest this year.

He won because he played all 23 games in a year with nearly everyone else missed a bunch of games and they blooded a heap of kids.

They were also dogshit this year and got to see plenty of the ball playing in defense.
Yep, another stupid argument, BNF finishes on a trash team are irrelevant.

Or AA appearances. E.G. Max Gawn is a 7XAA recipient, 3X1sts and 2X2nds please.
All-Australian selections are way more relevant than B&Fs, to be fair.

All-Australian selections are way more relevant than B&Fs, to be fair.
True, but it still is like using commendations to leverage a deal. Like Trac has multiple AAs and a few B&Fs, that shouldn't be used to play a part in the trade.

Like Player A is worth X to us but if we trade him to you he is worth X+Y+Z so we expect that in return.

Looks like Oliver is staying. Whoever we draft at pick 5 can stay in the VFL due to Goodwin playing the 3 amigos and Sparrow every match in 2025
Just like how Windsor couldn't get a game for us this year.

He took Hunters spot. Whose spot will Smith/Langford take? You really think Goody will drop his favourites?
Young players, especially midfielders tend to start on the bench or half forward/half back lines and get rotated through the middle. So they will find a place if they're ready to go.

Yes, Goodwin loves his favourites but has also never shied from playing ready-made youth.

Looks like Oliver is staying. Whoever we draft at pick 5 can stay in the VFL due to Goodwin playing the 3 amigos and Sparrow every match in 2025

Surprised the Crows did not show an interest in Sparrow as he would be a good fit for them.

I expect Pick 5 to be starting Round 1 (ala Windsor).

Assuming we take 5 & 9 to the draft at this stage, realistically who do we take...

I think at 5 we have to grab the best mid up for grabs would be happy with Lalor/Langford

Then at 9 if Tauru is available would have to take him or even Lindsay.... he looks like he has the best skills in the draft could see him start on the half back flank then transition to the middle in due course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on how Carlton’s pick swap compares to ours? Excluding the later picks to compare the ones that have the highest impact on each team they were:

Give: Pick 12, F1st and F2, Owies
Get: Pick 3

Our trade:
Give F1, ANB
Get: Pick 9

Assuming we take 5 & 9 to the draft at this stage, realistically who do we take...

I think at 5 we have to grab the best mid up for grabs would be happy with Lalor/Langford

Then at 9 if Tauru is available would have to take him or even Lindsay.... he looks like he has the best skills in the draft could see him start on the half back flank then transition to the middle in due course

Thinking Jagga Smith at 5 and Armstrong at 9 (Or Berry).

Tauru will be gone by 9 I think and I would be opting for forward half players who can win a contest over back half (Lindsay/Trivaglia).

Last edited:
Thinking Jagga Smith at 5 and Armstrong at 9 (Or Berry).

Tauru will be gone by 9 I think and I am opting for forward half players who can win a contest over back half (Lindsay/Trivaglia).
Smith will be gone by 5 surely, I like Berry at 9 ahead of Armstrong - Armstrong will take at least 3 years can see him being similar to Jefferson - still undecided, hopefully he plays some senior footy this year but shows glimpses in the VFL.
I think we have to be careful not getting sucked in to drafting for the obvious list need which is Key Forwards & opt to draft for best available talent....

Smith will be gone by 5 surely, I like Berry at 9 ahead of Armstrong - Armstrong will take at least 3 years can see him being similar to Jefferson - still undecided, hopefully he plays some senior footy this year but shows glimpses in the VFL.
I think we have to be careful not getting sucked in to drafting for the obvious list need which is Key Forwards & opt to draft for best available talent....
I'd rather not go for a key forward but Armstrong looks way more physical than Jefferson. Think he'll be alright.

Whose taking Smith?

At the moment but if concensus forming is Lalor will go at 1.

North if they hold the pick will want a bigger body like Langford

Carlton - FOS
Adelaide - Draper

Armstrong is very different to Jefferson, most reports are he is almost ready to go at AFL level, big unit who launches at the ball like Naughton.

Berry is Dylan Moore like which is exactly what we need inside 50. Especially with Pickett always suspended or up in the midfield.

That said you need 3 big key forwards this day and age with the way rotations work, would always have one injured, suspended, out of form, on the bench, in the ruck ect. Relying on 2 will likely always leave you a little short handed.

Last edited:
Whose taking Smith?

At the moment but if concensus forming is Lalor will go at 1.

North if they hold the pick will want a bigger body like Langford

Carlton - FOS
Adelaide - Draper

Armstrong is very different to Jefferson, most reports are he is almost ready to go at AFL level, big unit who launches at the ball like Naughton.

Berry is Dylan Moore like which is exactly what we need inside 50. Especially with Pickett always suspended or up in the midfield.

That said you need 3 big key forwards this day and age with the way rotations work, would always have one injured, suspended, out of form, on the bench, in the ruck ect. Relying on 2 will likely always leave you a little short handed.
Agree that Smith looks like the one that might slide to us which would be a very nice get.

Lalor firming as 1 and if he doesn't then Kangas might take him at 2 anyway.

Such a strangely weird draft that Smith seems 50/50 to go number 1 OR land at us with what will be pick 6.

FOS and Draper are locks to be gone, they won't get past blues and crows. They could easily end up being pick 1 and 2 but can't see a world where it slide further.

Agree that Smith looks like the one that might slide to us which would be a very nice get.

Lalor firming as 1 and if he doesn't then Kangas might take him at 2 anyway.

Such a strangely weird draft that Smith seems 50/50 to go number 1 OR land at us with what will be pick 6.

FOS and Draper are locks to be gone, they won't get past blues and crows. They could easily end up being pick 1 and 2 but can't see a world where it slide further.

Funnily enough Smith is probably best for us as he has a big point of difference to our other mids so I won’t be complaining if we nab him.

Not a fan of Armstrong at all. Just reminds me too much of Sam Weideman with his lack of intensity and tends to double grab his marks.

If you're looking for a key forward, Jobe Shanahan would be my pick. Absolute beast from the country in Moama. Strong unit who crashes packs, and is a strong contested mark.

Physically ready to go and kicked 4 goals on his VFL debut this year which shows he ready to step up to senior level if need next year.

Been following this kid since the early school boy days. Can certainly play.

Not a fan of Armstrong at all. Just reminds me too much of Sam Weideman with his lack of intensity and tends to double grab his marks.

If you're looking for a key forward, Jobe Shanahan would be my pick. Absolute beast from the country in Moama. Strong unit who crashes packs, and is a strong contested mark.

Physically ready to go and kicked 4 goals on his VFL debut this year which shows he ready to step up to senior level if need next year.

Been following this kid since the early school boy days. Can certainly play.
Agree on Shanahan. I'd love to see us try and trade 9 back if we are into him. Reckon there could be some strong offers for 9 as a couple of potential sliders would appeal to certain clubs. GWS want to get higher as an example.

Reminds me more of Cadman than Weid but get your point. Cadman lacks a bit of that intensity too.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Pick 9 & big fish Tom Campbell in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for Pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Back