Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:

Last edited:
I do laugh at these "Tas won't be able to retain players because it's quiet, nothing to do" posts. Geelong seems to do just fine and it is comparable. Culture and a sense of belonging is what makes people stay.

Just as an aside. The training centre is:
  • 10 minutes from the airport (hour flight to Melbourne)
  • 5 minutes to the city
  • 10 minutes to multiple beaches
  • 10 minutes to 5 acre hobby farm blocks
  • 20 minutes to large farming blocks of land
They'll just get a different type of bloke, they won't get the bloke who wants to be a Hollywood cat walk style gypsy but they'll get the blokes who wanna live in privacy, get a nice big farm and be less busy.

I do laugh at these "Tas won't be able to retain players because it's quiet, nothing to do" posts. Geelong seems to do just fine and it is comparable. Culture and a sense of belonging is what makes people stay.

• 5 minutes to the city
Huge difference between Geelong and Hobart. Massive catchment area across Greater Geelong. There's plenty more to do in Geelong than Hobart. Even Sicily came out and said it's a fn dull town. Oneof my best mates live down there and its great for a wknd, but to live? Nah. Both his teenage boys have moved back to mainland Vic. Maybe Clarry will get sent down there to liven things up?

Freo bloke on main board said he would happily give up there 3 firsts this year + a young kid for Trac

Would take that in a heartbeat.
Go and get this trade knocked out with him and send it thru to the AFL mate.

They'll just get a different type of bloke, they won't get the bloke who wants to be a Hollywood cat walk style gypsy but they'll get the blokes who wanna live in privacy, get a nice big farm and be less busy.

It'll attract some players and won't be attractive to others.

I imagine the younger generation, especially from big cities, might not like it but more mature players, especially with families, will love it.

The dollar stretches far more in Tassie than other cities too. Almost a reverse COLA.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I imagine the younger generation, especially from big cities, might not like it but more mature players, especially with families, will love it.

The dollar stretches far more in Tassie than other cities too. Almost a reverse COLA.

Vic Country yes, Vic Metro no.

Spot on ā€“ reckon they might lose some of the young city guys they draft, but they'll balance it with FA acquisitions later on.

Players actually getting exposure to the place via travelling down there for games initially will help too.

I reckon I'd love playing in Tassie, could get alot of pub time and hook yaself up with **** all media but still peaceful and quiet enough.
My brother played for their VFL team for 4 years, he liked it but the Mrs had a cry and wanted to come back.

Melbourne great Ben Beams was captain I'm pretty sure, was either him or Justin Plapp who used to play with the Tigers, Jack Riewoldt played some games for them too as a teenager.

My brother played for their VFL team for 4 years, he liked it but the Mrs had a cry and wanted to come back.
I used to love the VFL team in that era is that like early mid 2000s? Ben was still there after he got delisted by us from memory

I used to love the VFL team in that era is that like early mid 2000s? Ben was still there after he got delisted by us from memory
They had a lot of ex AFL players, pretty good team every year. Trent Bartlett who used to play for the Bulldogs, Luke Shackleton who was a top 30 pick for the Pies. Ian Callanan who ended up playing for the Crows. Probably some others I'm forgetting.

It only stretches for property, everything else is a bloody rip off like everywhere else in Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dream scenario might be that we slip all the way to 15th by end of season and get inside St Kildas pick since they will like get the first round compo (which is unbelievable overs for Battle).

We might also be in a position to slide back for multiple first rounders in a deal with Freo who have a bunch of them or Essendon who might need to jump ahead of a bid on their nga player - although they are doing a pretty good job of fixing that by dropping like a stone after the bye as usual.

We brought in Billings, Fullarton and McAdam to bolster our attack. There was genuine enthusiam for these three in the preseason; Fullarton to be third tall and keep JVR out of the ruck, Billings with his kicking inside 50, McAdam as a marking threat and defensive pressure...

The problem is that these guys performed as well they did at their prior clubs. Billings is flakey and still hasn't lived up to his pre-draft hype. McAdam is injury prone and lazy. Fullarton is still not ready to make the next step to best 22 (and may never be ready!).

It wasn't that the club didn't try to improve. We just failed to pick the right players (or didn't do enough to sway better players into nominating us).
Yeah, I had pretty high hopes in McAdam in particular for that fwd X factor. Weird how physically smaller he looks compared to what I thought we were getting, especially considering he should be in his prime (physically).

• 5 minutes to the city
I think the culture and country feel will appeal to some players. agree there for sure.

10 mins from multiple beaches - which means only 10 mins back when you realise how bloody cold it is (good for recovery though)

An hour flight from Melbourne - add in check in, waiting for takeoff, touch down, getting out and into Melbourne. Really still 4hrs trip. Not comparable to driving down the highway... Worse for players with kids or a dog they want to take on a quick trip.

Add an extra hour to the flight and can be in Qld instead from melbourne, 10 mins from beaches that are actually warm enough to swim.

Hobart is a great city, won't be for everyone but guys like Daniher and Jeremy Cameron don't want the bright lights. They'll still get good players who want to be there.

Hobart is a great city, won't be for everyone but guys like Daniher and Jeremy Cameron don't want the bright lights. They'll still get good players who want to be there.
Agree. As much as GWS gave lost plenty of guns they've kept plenty too. GC have plenty of talent too just can't put it together properly to build a consistent team.

Tassie has the benefit of being a football state, but still a place where a player can disappear from the attention. If they build a good core group they should be alright

It only stretches for property, everything else is a bloody rip off like everywhere else in Australia.
Hobart area was great for property about 7-8 years ago. Gone through the roof since then.

I dunno, I get Tas are gonna eat up some draft picks over a season or two, but I don't think it's worth panicking over and tanking for. Close to half of GWS selections ended up somewhere
else across a number of years. The talent won't all stay in Tas. And we're likely to be pushed back a handful of spots in the draft. Don't think it's worth losing our s* over. Unlike Giants and Suns, most fans want to see a successful Tas team. Will still want to beat them, but being from an AFL state, a lot will take them on as their 2nd side.

Itā€™s to late now but why didnā€™t we try get Loyd Meek in the Jackson trade and last year we should have chased Chol he would have been a better 2nd ruck/foward option than petty and roo. So I guess we will chase some other donkey that wonā€™t get a game and give schache a 2 year extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread šŸ—‘šŸ”„

Remove this Banner Ad

Back