List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

You want rorts?

James Borlase at Adelaide was selected under the NGA system. His father was a premiership captain at Port Adelaide where he played 246 games and his mother represented Australia 70 times at netball. His parents moved to Egypt for work and James was born there then moved back to Adelaide a COUPLE OF MONTHS after he was born.

There, ladies and gentlemen, is the NGA system. And they complain about a FS in our academy...
The pretence of NGA is that it is supposedly meant to give clubs incentive to develop players from a non footy background. Borlase clearly has had footy coursing through his veins and has been disadvantaged in no way by being born in Egypt. Guys like JUH, Saunders and Mitch Owens (who St Kilda matched our bid) are all the same. They all would've played footy, progressed through the usual pathways in a footy dominant state and got drafted regardless of their minority status. My understanding is that the clubs who use the NGA system dont even need to put any time ir effort into these kids given the infrastructure is there via junior and school footy. The NGA system is clearly just a concession to the clubs from traditional footy states and serves no real purpose in advancing the game.

Its so dumb because Sydney will like never have an NGA prospect because they will always be in the Swans Academy because the Swans need to pay money to create the infrastructure and to upkeep the infrastructure that Victorian clubs get for free. And the AFL values them the same?

Pretty ordinary if we didn’t, could be one of the top talents from that draft

win some you lose some, personally got that one wrong too as I didn't know what set position he was. We were hoping Ed Allen slipped as we expected the Pies to go a true key tall they took Allen (best avail)

The pretence of NGA is that it is supposedly meant to give clubs incentive to develop players from a non footy background. Borlase clearly has had footy coursing through his veins and has been disadvantaged in no way by being born in Egypt. Guys like JUH, Saunders and Mitch Owens (who St Kilda matched our bid) are all the same. They all would've played footy, progressed through the usual pathways in a footy dominant state and got drafted regardless of their minority status. My understanding is that the clubs who use the NGA system dont even need to put any time ir effort into these kids given the infrastructure is there via junior and school footy. The NGA system is clearly just a concession to the clubs from traditional footy states and serves no real purpose in advancing the game.
I don't have an issue with Borlase being eligible for Adelaide NGA. But they need to put effort into the development, otherwise it's not an academy

When the Riverina was taken away from the Giants’ academy region, then CEO Dil said the AFL couldn’t justify a club academy for a region already covered by existing development infrastructure, in this instance the Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup system.

Furthermore, GWS were not permitted priority access to Todd Marshall (or it might have been Brander), despite him participating in their programme because he’d spent some time elsewhere and therefore the Giants hadn’t invested enough into his development. They said that all the northern academies needed to be able to produce documentation to show how much they’d invested into any draftee they wanted to claim.

Hmmmm…. Wonder what changed.

He spent 3 months living in Egypt and spent the rest of his life playing footy in Adelaide. Why was he NGA? (philosophically, not legally)
Does he have an Egyptian passport? Or was it literally he spent some time of his life there.

This may be a very unfortunate edge case, development is my main concern

Rubbish technicality.
I'll offer another rubbish technicality;
A young highly rated prospect called Christian Moraes isn't eligible to be selected as a Next Generation Academy prospect even though his father was born in Brazil. But if his father had been born in an Asian, African or Oceania country he would have been eligible.

A player is also eligible if he was born those countries (eg Borlase was eligible because he was born in Egypt).

And of course JUH was eligible even though, to paraphrase his mum, he had a football in his hands from when he first stated walking.
But somehow a kid from Warrnambool, who boarded at Scotch College, was eligible as a NGA, because of his indigenous roots.

Clearly the idea of workshopping a rule/regulation never seems to be considered by the AFL and so you end up with these ridiculous inconsistencies and very rarely is the anticipated outcome close to what they envisaged.

I mean in the matter of a few years we've had NGAs allowed to be picked without restriction, then only if they were outside the top 20, then the top 40 and now it's been proposed to go back to the unrestricted status.

The Northern clubs spend millions on their academies, the NGA is a box ticking exercise, do you meet these criteria, register with us and we'll get back to you if you're any good.

Farce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have an issue with Borlase being eligible for Adelaide NGA. But they need to put effort into the development, otherwise it's not an academy
But he only becomes eligible because he just so happen to be born in Egypt. It's so pointless. Might as well let Adelaide have an academy open to all kids that they can match bids on.

I'll offer another rubbish technicality;
A young highly rated prospect called Christian Moraes isn't eligible to be selected as a Next Generation Academy prospect even though his father was born in Brazil. But if his father had been born in an Asian, African or Oceania country he would have been eligible.

A player is also eligible if he was born those countries (eg Borlase was eligible because he was born in Egypt).

And of course JUH was eligible even though, to paraphrase his mum, he had a football in his hands from when he first stated walking.
But somehow a kid from Warrnambool, who boarded at Scotch College, was eligible as a NGA, because of his indigenous roots.

Clearly the idea of workshopping a rule/regulation never seems to be considered by the AFL and so you end up with these ridiculous inconsistencies and very rarely is the anticipated outcome close to what they envisaged.

I mean in the matter of a few years we've had NGAs allowed to be picked without restriction, then only if they were outside the top 20, then the top 40 and now it's been proposed to go back to the unrestricted status.

The Northern clubs spend millions on their academies, the NGA is a box ticking exercise, do you meet these criteria, register with us and we'll get back to you if you're any good.

Farce.
The notion of an NGA is not at all unreasonable but as you so accurately and passionately point out it is currently a dog's breakfast.
I can imagine so many ways of doing it more effectively and even-handedly that it irritates me enormously that the AFL can't.

I have to say I don't feel it for this year's draft. Over the last few years, there's been players, whether academy or otherwise, that the prospect of signing has really excited me. As an example, last year I was big on O'Sullivan and obviously Cleary. O'Sullivan because he filled an obvious need for us, Cleary as he was a well performed academy kid. Maybe my lack of excitement is a sign of the current strength of our list but I do feel like there's no real obvious must have players for us.
I'm right there with you.

I go back to that article I've referenced a few times but cannot for the life of me find anywhere on Google now*, but draftees taken by top 6 teams play significantly less games in their first four years on average than those taken by teams outside the top 6.

In other words, the better the team, the less opportunities there are for first-to-fourth year players. This is kinda obvious but the article showed the numbers that made it quite stark.

If we're to assume we're entering a period of premiership contention, it's hard not to feel like almost everyone we draft now is really just going to be a depth player at best, a quick delist and/or trade-bait for opportunities elsewhere at worst.

*Anybody know the piece I'm talking about? It was in The Age, that's the only detail I can remember.

I'm right there with you.

I go back to that article I've referenced a few times but cannot for the life of me find anywhere on Google now*, but draftees taken by top 6 teams play significantly less games in their first four years on average than those taken by teams outside the top 6.

In other words, the better the team, the less opportunities there are for first-to-fourth year players. This is kinda obvious but the article showed the numbers that made it quite stark.

If we're to assume we're entering a period of premiership contention, it's hard not to feel like almost everyone we draft now is really just going to be a depth player at best, a quick delist and/or trade-bait for opportunities elsewhere at worst.

*Anybody know the piece I'm talking about? It was in The Age, that's the only detail I can remember.
No idea about the article but it seems self evident that there will be fewer early opportunities with top of the ladder teams.
Posted similar yesterday around getting players who would need an apprenticeship rather than readymades.

No idea about the article but it seems self evident that there will be fewer early opportunities with top of the ladder teams.
Posted similar yesterday around getting players who would need an apprenticeship rather than readymades.
It's why I'm so glad Caiden Cleary is a NSW boy. Just increases our odds of him sticking around even if the opportunities aren't there immediately. Although I expect they will be eventually - Parker, Adams etc won't be around for much longer in terms of years.

It's why I'm so glad Caiden Cleary is a NSW boy. Just increases our odds of him sticking around even if the opportunities aren't there immediately. Although I expect they will be eventually - Parker, Adams etc won't be around for much longer in terms of years.
I expect Caiden not to play for the remainder of 24, get 10 or so games in 25 and then play fully in 26 whether that be fully on ball or in the Adams role idk. But by 27 he either won't be at the Swans or he will be playing completely on ball i would expect

When the Riverina was taken away from the Giants’ academy region, then CEO Dil said the AFL couldn’t justify a club academy for a region already covered by existing development infrastructure, in this instance the Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup system.

Furthermore, GWS were not permitted priority access to Todd Marshall (or it might have been Brander), despite him participating in their programme because he’d spent some time elsewhere and therefore the Giants hadn’t invested enough into his development. They said that all the northern academies needed to be able to produce documentation to show how much they’d invested into any draftee they wanted to claim.

Hmmmm…. Wonder what changed.

the AFL's credibility hasn't changed...

the AFL's credibility hasn't changed...

You mean, the same small select group of people, picking from the same small select group of people for leadership positions doesn't change anything?!

I never

Hanily looks like a good pick

Knows how to play and good footy IQ

Due to the depth of this draft I think we will take our picks and maybe even try to acquire more picks

Deep even draft all the way into the 40s

So there will be gems into the 30s and 40s

Large 190cm + powerful type who can run and cover ground - basically a utility could be our target and there is a few of them

Basically Heeney with 5cm
Harvey Langford but he had wayyy too good of a carnival and will be a top 10 guy now. Cooper Hynes i think could still be available at our pick and he is a 190cm medium forward that can play in the midfield at times. Think we need a marking forward that is powerful somewhere between 185-190cm and then the next pick can be highest ceiling player

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back