List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Continually overlooked before his suspension - for what all of 3 weeks, coming off a significant injury that screwed up his preparation for the season. Why didn't I become a journo - you really do just make crap up these days haha.

As for St Kilda being close to finals contention - ah ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha.
He meant closer than North. Which is still a tough call but probably correct.

The Barras situation over in West Coast is an interesting example of get it all in writing before hand.

Depending on who you believe, knocked back offer from Swans due to family reasons & 'promises' that the Eagles would do right by him in their next contract.

Nek minute - there's a change at the top and those so called promises are not being offered in the next contract for reasons I think we can call speculate on <here's looking at you Harley Reid>. So now he's worse off than what he would have been. Swans on the way to Finals. Barras left with a poor contract offer from the Eagles.

The Barras situation over in West Coast is an interesting example of get it all in writing before hand.

Depending on who you believe, knocked back offer from Swans due to family reasons & 'promises' that the Eagles would do right by him in their next contract.

Nek minute - there's a change at the top and those so called promises are not being offered in the next contract for reasons I think we can call speculate on <here's looking at you Harley Reid>. So now he's worse off than what he would have been. Swans on the way to Finals. Barras left with a poor contract offer from the Eagles.
And thats just after he played one of the best games i have seen this year as an intercept defender with 9 intercept marks. Feel like he will go premiership hunting but we won't have the cap space to get him in and also he is massively injury prone so don't know if we want another injury prone KPD alongside Melican & McCartin

A genuine sliding doors moment. Leave for the Swans, you would imagine decent money and a team at the top of the ladder or stay at the Eagles on a long term deal under new management and now the chance he’s being pushed out to free up $$$ and get a draft pick in.

A genuine sliding doors moment. Leave for the Swans, you would imagine decent money and a team at the top of the ladder or stay at the Eagles on a long term deal under new management and now the chance he’s being pushed out to free up $$$ and get a draft pick in.
Could be similar to Grundy's Collingwood situation where West Coast have to pay like 300k of what his like 900k salary or whatever it is just to get a first round pick.

None of that decision by Barass made any sense to me then, and makes much less sense now.

I'm not normally one for the Northern States contramundum rhetoric, but this whole discussion just gives me the tomtits.

It seems to be all based on GC having a good Academy draft year, a club that has had exactly zero success to date in a market that constantly eats its own, but which has provided the southern states with multiple premiership heroes over recent years. Now, with a chance to actually build a sustainable base to compete, the AFL wants to change the goalposts.

Truly, they need to decide whether they have any real commitment to a national competition.

I'm not normally one for the Northern States contramundum rhetoric, but this whole discussion just gives me the tomtits.

It seems to be all based on GC having a good Academy draft year, a club that has had exactly zero success to date in a market that constantly eats its own, but which has provided the southern states with multiple premiership heroes over recent years. Now, with a chance to actually build a sustainable base to compete, the AFL wants to change the goalposts.

Truly, they need to decide whether they have any real commitment to a national competition.
The reality is that the father/son and then academy drafting system has always been a mess. It's just gone through different stages of unfairness given the total incompetence of the AFL.

The Gold Coast draft last year probably brought it to a head, but it should have been sorted out years ago.

The reason is partly due to the Suns having a great haul last year but also because Tassie is coming into the draft i believe the 2027 draft. Due to that the AFL wants to close the loophole of alot of top talent going to the top teams for chump change to allow Richmond, Geelong, North and all the bottom teams the chance to rebuild before Tassie have 15 FRPs over the 2027 & 2028 drafts. Which would basically mean any rebuilding team that starts their rebuild is screwed in those two drafts

Most of the time player managers are detrimental to their clients.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are managers detrimental to their clients when Hayward just got a guaranteed 1m extra because his agent "shipped" him around to other clubs. If anything it was Barras wanting to stay at the Eagles as the fault for the situation he is in now and not Barras's agent that tried to ship him around to get better offers

Ever heard of selling you something that isnt there? why do you think some players get rid of their manager.

Yes, some players get rid of some managers, but to say that most of the time they're detrimental is such a simplified take.

Managers look to get the best deal for their client because that's the best deal for them. They look out for their clients otherwise as you yourself said, players change managers.

Ever heard of selling you something that isnt there? why do you think some players get rid of their manager.
The impression I got was that his manager did all of the hard work with the Swans and Barrass was about to sign but pulled out at the 11th hour. It was a Barrass decision, not his manager.

Yes, some players get rid of some managers, but to say that most of the time they're detrimental is such a simplified take.

Managers look to get the best deal for their client because that's the best deal for them. They look out for their clients otherwise as you yourself said, players change managers.

Yer of course but their bottom line is signing the best possible deal regardless if that club is best fit or not.

I mean imagine taking advice from Ricky Nixon

Yer of course but their bottom line is signing the best possible deal regardless if that club is best fit or not.

I mean imagine taking advice from Ricky Nixon

Is it? That would be a dumb business strategy. I'm not sure you actually know what agents/recruiters (depending on your field) do.

Is it? That would be a dumb business strategy. I'm not sure you actually know what agents/recruiters (depending on your field) do.
Agree with SM here. If you use your strategy then Hayward would be off to Carlton for 100-150k more than he is now going to be on at Sydney. The goal of the manager is to get the player to the club they want at the highest contract value possible, this is different to
best possible deal regardless if that club is best fit or not.

The reality is that the father/son and then academy drafting system has always been a mess. It's just gone through different stages of unfairness given the total incompetence of the AFL.

The Gold Coast draft last year probably brought it to a head, but it should have been sorted out years ago.

The issue is NGA's piggy backing on father/son and academy bidding that is clouding things. Take that out of the equation and this is a simpler fix with a known grounding and set of objectives

NGA's are a data gathering, box ticking, Melbourne centric rort that involves only about 0.1% AFL club development effort, with the rest outsourced to traditional pathways. It's a newly invented scam built to appease. It can get in the bin.

Deep breaths....

Anyway, there's half your low value point issue solved and a cleaner draft with less chance for collusion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back