List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Today’s Gettable ep, putting Ladhams and Konstanty on the radar as potentially gettable players

There is no point in trading Konstanty we will get nowhere near the value what we picked him up at (pick 20) i rather give him a chance and see what he can do.

Ladlams i would rather not unless he wants to go as Grundy getting injured would result in well Mclean and Amartey again?

I reckon we have 4 signings still outstanding.
1. Cunningham
2. McDonald
3. Hanily
4. Mitchell

Delistings
Main List
1. Vickery
2. Francis
3. Konstanty
Rookie List A
1. Magor
2. Reid
3. Arnold
Rookie List B
1. Kirk

I reckon Kirk goes if we have better prospects coming through in the academy. Otherwise we keep him.

I reckon we rookie Francis. He is too valuable as a KPD and KPF backup. Hamling is only contracted until 2025. Edwards and Snell are not yet experienced enough if in fact they will play a major role in our KPD stocks.

If we keep Stretch we need to put him on the main list. So we delist either Mitchell or Francis(assuming Konstanty and Vickery are delisted). Konstanty does not fill me with confidence because we rookied Hanily.
If we don't keep Stretch then one of Vickery, Francis or Konstanty stays I assume.

The Draft
We have 2 first rounders(pick 18 and 19) and a late pick(56).

If we keep Stretch that will soak up pick 56.

If we rookie Francis then we have 3 other rookie picks as well. Stretch to main list. Or we keep Magor and have 2 other rookie picks.

That's my take.
But I am not an expert.
We have already re-signed Buller for next year.
Francis will need to be agreeable to being delisted and rookied. He may prefer to go elsewhere and he has currency. My pick for that manoeuvre is Cunningham. Plenty of trust there. Francis is offered a year.
Stretch is the tricky one. Delisting him is a big gamble. I would keep him but it does make life difficult as we need a senior spot for him.
Magor, Konstanty and Vickery are gone.
Kirk will stay because ....
Not sure where that leaves us at the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have already re-signed Buller for next year.
Francis will need to be agreeable to being delisted and rookied. He may prefer to go elsewhere and he has currency. My pick for that manoeuvre is Cunningham. Plenty of trust there. Francis is offered a year.
Stretch is the tricky one. Delisting him is a big gamble. I would keep him but it does make life difficult as we need a senior spot for him.
Magor, Konstanty and Vickery are gone.
Kirk will stay because ....
Not sure where that leaves us at the draft.
I missed the Buller re-signing.
Agree Francis needs to be kept. We need his experience at both ends and for VFL.
We do need to free up a list spot for Stretch and Cunningham sounds like a safer bet for a rookie spot if that is the way we go. If we offload Ladhams that may not be required.
List spots are tighter this year than I have ever seen.

Agree Francis needs to be kept. We need his experience at both ends and for VFL.
We do need to free up a list spot for Stretch and Cunningham sounds like a safer bet for a rookie spot if that is the way we go. If we offload Ladhams that may not be required.
Stretch really needs to learn to kick. There are kids in my son's U13 team who seriously hit a target more accurately. Other than that, I like his ruck work and his contested work at a stoppage. Also clunks a decent mark, which one would expect when you're 210cm tall.

How has the AFL done precisely zip about tampering?

If the WA clubs want to offer Chad bazillions then he can take it, but that conversation should happen once he's out of contract. It's absurd for this to be hanging over his and the club's head for 18 months while we're trying to win a flag.

How has the AFL done precisely zip about tampering?

If the WA clubs want to offer Chad bazillions then he can take it, but that conversation should happen once he's out of contract. It's absurd for this to be hanging over his and the club's head for 18 months while we're trying to win a flag.
That would mean the death of an entire sub-industry of "trade gossip", 1000s left unemployed.

They are. That's what happens when you get quality depth. You have to let someone go to accommodate the draft. I wouldn't die of surprise if we tried to package our first rounders to just take one plus Cochran (56) and Stretch (74) even if we take a bit of a haircut and end up with somewhere 6-11, depending on whatever changes.
I feel really sorry for Magor and Vickery. IMO they never got a good run at it. You could say that of a number of players over the years.
Don't mind if Konstanty is traded rather than delisted. Never seemed to settle here so he might do better elsewhere and I'm sure we'll accept teaspoons.
Interesting if we're shopping Ladhams. Gambling that Stretch, McLean and Amartey can carry us if Grundy goes down. Wonder if anyone is desperate enough.

AFL.Com gettable reckons Ladhams might attract interest. With 1 year left on his contract, I'd let him walk if he gets an offer. Between Green, McAndrew, Mclean, Amartey and Buller, there are enough options to cover Grundy moving forward. Green in particular will continue to get better.
Green's ruck craft and aerobic fitness will continue to improve. He will be a very good player.
The danger for him is putting his "soft" young body up against "hard" men 10 years older. He can put on kg which will help but the hardness takes time. VFL sharing with McAndrew is fine, even being #1 in VFL next year with support from Buller and Edwards will be OK but I would be very hesitant to play him in seniors before 2026.

This would be interesting if they'd bring it in this year?

MORE YEARS FOR ROOKIES?

THE AFL is considering a change to the rules where players would be able to stay on rookie lists for up to five years.

Currently players can only spend three consecutive seasons on the rookie list before needing to be upgraded to the senior list or delisted.

But as part of discussions with clubs, the League has had support for extending the limit to five years under certain parameters in a bid to allow clubs more time to develop key-position types and ruck talents as rookies.

Under a possible stipulation raised, rookies would be able to stay on the rookie list after their third year if they have not played a certain number of games at AFL level by then and again at the end of their fourth year.

The rule has had support from clubs as the AFL looks at different mechanisms as part of its wide-ranging competitive balance review. – Callum Twomey

This would be interesting if they'd bring it in this year?

MORE YEARS FOR ROOKIES?

THE AFL is considering a change to the rules where players would be able to stay on rookie lists for up to five years.

Currently players can only spend three consecutive seasons on the rookie list before needing to be upgraded to the senior list or delisted.

But as part of discussions with clubs, the League has had support for extending the limit to five years under certain parameters in a bid to allow clubs more time to develop key-position types and ruck talents as rookies.

Under a possible stipulation raised, rookies would be able to stay on the rookie list after their third year if they have not played a certain number of games at AFL level by then and again at the end of their fourth year.

The rule has had support from clubs as the AFL looks at different mechanisms as part of its wide-ranging competitive balance review. – Callum Twomey

Rare W from AFL House if it was brought in.

Given how they roll though, I would expect a decision probably just prior to the Brisbane Olympics.

Green's ruck craft and aerobic fitness will continue to improve. He will be a very good player.
The danger for him is putting his "soft" young body up against "hard" men 10 years older. He can put on kg which will help but the hardness takes time. VFL sharing with McAndrew is fine, even being #1 in VFL next year with support from Buller and Edwards will be OK but I would be very hesitant to play him in seniors before 2026.
I agree with Green. We have Grundy signed for another 3 years. I reckon Green will take at least 2 more years before he is really ready.

Today’s Gettable ep, putting Ladhams and Konstanty on the radar as potentially gettable players

Trading Pistol makes a lot of sense. Swans wouldn’t even get steak knives, but he’s certainly currently surplus to requirements. Especially if Buller recovers next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back