List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty average. Last I saw, was playing as a forward / ruck, low possession count, odd goal. Looks to have lost alot of condition. Real shame he didn't come on as he did have some skill and seemed a good bloke.
A lot of good blokes don't make it

Just did a speed read of the Bests in their (Glenelg's) match reports for the year. He was only mentioned once.

James Bell on the other hand, in their bests most games.

Glenelg sit 3rd behind the great Marty Mattner's (pictured left) Sturt in 2nd, who are also featuring former Swans Academy and VFL player Angus Anderson. Matt Ling's Norwood is on top.
Not really surprised as Gould didn't have the level of drive and self discipline.
Also not surprised about Belly. No shortage of drive there, just not quite the talent for the top grade. Family still here so I hope he ends up back home when footy is done.
Good for Lingy too.
Thanks B86.

1. Pretty sure we can still take on 1 more main list spot as we are at 37 and the max is 38 so that would effectively be done by delisting a rookie and drafting someone.

To get to a 38 player senior list means we need to delist 2 Cat A rookies to begin with. We can have between 36 and 38 on the senior list. We normally run with 36, this year we went with 37. List in total is capped at 44 so more senior list spots means less Cat A rookies we can have as Cat B spots are fixed at 2 and if not filled can't be used elsewhere.

I’d be keeping Francis for sure. He’s proper KPD seniors depth and they’re not the easiest to find. He wouldn’t break the bank to keep as I suspect we’d be basically his only option.

Probably the club’s decision will depend on how close they think Will Edwards is to contributing at seniors level - if they think he could basically play from round one next year, then maybe Francis is expendable but if they think Edwards might not be ready til later in the year it makes sense to keep Francis for another year.

I’d be keeping Francis for sure. He’s proper KPD seniors depth and they’re not the easiest to find. He wouldn’t break the bank to keep as I suspect we’d be basically his only option.

Probably the club’s decision will depend on how close they think Will Edwards is to contributing at seniors level - if they think he could basically play from round one next year, then maybe Francis is expendable but if they think Edwards might not be ready til later in the year it makes sense to keep Francis for another year.
I ask one question, Do you want Fox or Francis to play this week as the third key tall?

To get to a 38 player senior list means we need to delist 2 Cat A rookies to begin with. We can have between 36 and 38 on the senior list. We normally run with 36, this year we went with 37. List in total is capped at 44 so more senior list spots means less Cat A rookies we can have as Cat B spots are fixed at 2 and if not filled can't be used elsewhere.
To be fair i think that could work out as Reid was a cat A. Meaning the current structure is 37-5-2. I think Arnold goes as well as potentially Magor which would get us down to 3 Cat A rookies, i suspect we pick one up in the rookie draft to get us up to 4 but then i suspect we will make room on the main list for 3-4 draftees.

Please correct me if im wrong

I'd be expecting green to at least play a handful of games next year, increasing the year after and then ready to take over from Grundy in 2027.

Ladhams isn't required

Yes he is, Grundy goes down we are in a premiership window, who is your ruck? Green who is as his name states, very green, and McAndrew who lets face it has been underwhelming at best. You need two very good rucks on your list, Ladfhams has his faults but heaven forbid Grundy goes down he's ready as a no1 ruck to play right now and next year. The year after different question as Green will have developed more

I ask one question, Do you want Fox or Francis to play this week as the third key tall?

I know he's playing FWD but Hamling for me, but watch them go Francis and I am on a hope and a prayer we get the 1 good week in 4 Francis gives us. Fox plays anyway

To be fair i think that could work out as Reid was a cat A. Meaning the current structure is 37-5-2. I think Arnold goes as well as potentially Magor which would get us down to 3 Cat A rookies, i suspect we pick one up in the rookie draft to get us up to 4 but then i suspect we will make room on the main list for 3-4 draftees.

That's my understanding too we surely keep Hanily at least for a year longer too, been impressed with what he has shown

Fox. But if one of our two main key defenders in Melican or McCartin were injured, I’d want Francis to play.
Well how important does Francis become if they believe that Will Edwards is capable of being the backup KPD option. That would make Francis the 6th option in defence, wouldn't you want to turn him into a development player to have better future outlooks

Well how important does Francis become if they believe that Will Edwards is capable of being the backup KPD option. That would make Francis the 6th option in defence, wouldn't you want to turn him into a development player to have better future outlooks

That's the issue though, the club may not see Edwards being ready till late next year in a best case scenario. You have to assume your backup is needed round 1 next year. Then what happens, Fox as a true key or Mills? That's asking for trouble. I tend to agree we will keep Francis on for nother year despite him making me pull my hair out at times

You're making an assumption that the senior list will automatically go to 38 when it normally sits at 36 or 37 and nothing is indicating that it will go to 38.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the issue though, the club may not see Edwards being ready till late next year in a best case scenario. You have to assume your backup is needed round 1 next year. Then what happens, Fox as a true key or Mills? That's asking for trouble. I tend to agree we will keep Francis on for nother year despite him making me pull my hair out at times
Fair i guess we will find out indirectly their thoughts on Edwards if they re-sign Francis.

I thought you were going to ask one question.

Yeh I said above if Edwards is considered ready to play in round one then Francis is probably expendable. I wouldn’t mind keeping him for cheap, reliable depth though.

Fair i guess we will find out indirectly their thoughts on Edwards if they re-sign Francis.

They are not linked. They may like Edwards long term, Francis may be better for the now though and we are in a window

They are not linked. They may like Edwards long term, Francis may be better for the now though and we are in a window
You just linked them together in saying that if Francis gets a new deal then the Swans view Edwards as not ready yet and vice versa if he doesn't get a new deal

You just linked them together in saying that if Francis gets a new deal then the Swans view Edwards as not ready yet and vice versa if he doesn't get a new deal

Not really. Francis is for the now, you know if we get an injury next year. I'd be shocked if we don't have at least 1 of Francis/Hamling as our key defender backup. Edwards will not be near ready, put him in the Will Green basket until late next year and that's at best ideally he wouldn't play at all. I look at Edwards taking over a Rampe when he goes for instance.

Not really. Francis is for the now, you know if we get an injury next year. I'd be shocked if we don't have at least 1 of Francis/Hamling as our key defender backup. Edwards will not be near ready, put him in the Will Green basket until late next year and that's at best ideally he wouldn't play at all. I look at Edwards taking over a Rampe when he goes for instance.
Okay fair enough i'm probably just higher on Edwards and believe that he will be the Francis replacement and that Snell will be the Rampe replacement and then Cochran will filter through (I wonder if Cochran falls enough to be in the rookie draft)

Okay fair enough i'm probably just higher on Edwards and believe that he will be the Francis replacement and that Snell will be the Rampe replacement and then Cochran will filter through (I wonder if Cochran falls enough to be in the rookie draft)

He might be but I sure ain’t taking a chance on maybes when next year we are in a window. Highly doubt we go in with a bunch of rookies as depth, you need at least one mature KPD

He might be but I sure ain’t taking a chance on maybes when next year we are in a window. Highly doubt we go in with a bunch of rookies as depth, you need at least one mature KPD
Yea understand that and the only real mature age guy that i think is gettable on low money is Dougal Howard and don't know how much i would want that

Yea understand that and the only real mature age guy that i think is gettable on low money is Dougal Howard and don't know how much i would want that

Or just keep Francis on a 10th of the cost and he’d do the same role. Trading doesn’t always equal better.

We are more likely to go pick trading rather than player trading already are struggling to let go of players

I think Edwards is more advanced than late next year. Was looked at in our preseason games followed by solid VFL form prior to his infection. Another preseason and he will be good to go.

Or just keep Francis on a 10th of the cost and he’d do the same role. Trading doesn’t always equal better.

We are more likely to go pick trading rather than player trading already are struggling to let go of players
Bang on LP1.
The only way we'll trade anyone in is if a topflighter asks us to. A real top player, a dead set best 22. Very, very unlikely.
Drafting will be very interesting.
I won't die of surprise if we trade one of those first rounders into next year, then next year trade that pick onto 2026 for some of these gun U16s.
I reckon we'll go for a KPF if we can as we should have the time to develop him properly. Too early to tell who that might be.
We might also try to bundle our first rounders to move up but I don't know if there will be any takers without a huge haircut.
Cochran will fill our need for a tallish non-key defender.
Reckon that's as exciting as it will get.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back