List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

I received an interesting email from my son's junior club yesterday encouraging him to trial for a spot in the U14 Lions diversity team. He has played footy since age 5 and has grown up attending games, watching it on TV, SEN on the radio. There has been zero impediment to him becoming an footy player / fan. I am Australian born, his mum is white Aussie but was born in Zimbabwe as her parents were working as expats over there at the time. Yet he qualifies to play for the Lions U14 diversity team, play a national carnival and presumably, if we lived in Vic / WA / SA be considered an NGA. What a joke.
Hey! I think you must have married my wife, too! Aussie/Zimbabwe/expats, etc. My son is now 25 and doesn't like sport but hopefully he can still qualify for an NGA!

I received an interesting email from my son's junior club yesterday encouraging him to trial for a spot in the U14 Lions diversity team. He has played footy since age 5 and has grown up attending games, watching it on TV, SEN on the radio. There has been zero impediment to him becoming an footy player / fan. I am Australian born, his mum is white Aussie but was born in Zimbabwe as her parents were working as expats over there at the time. Yet he qualifies to play for the Lions U14 diversity team, play a national carnival and presumably, if we lived in Vic / WA / SA be considered an NGA. What a joke.
This is the same argument people make about Blakey and the academy. I think it’s probably more difficult to make rules around who qualifies to an NGA that capture all the possible situations vs enacting minimum requirements about investment in a player (which we clearly did with Blakey).

Any chance we could be interested in Barass like last off season?

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I get the sense Barrass has no intention of leaving Perth and this is all just about trying to get the Eagles to redo his contract.

And that was probably what was going on last year where he was supposedly interested in us.

I get the sense Barrass has no intention of leaving Perth and this is all just about trying to get the Eagles to redo his contract.

And that was probably what was going on last year where he was supposedly interested in us.
Yep i think he knows his back is cooked and doesn't want to move so he just wants guaranteed money till he is 34 rather than 32 (current 3 year deal gets him to 2027 and age 32 season)

Yep i think he knows his back is cooked and doesn't want to move so he just wants guaranteed money till he is 34 rather than 32 (current 3 year deal gets him to 2027 and age 32 season)
I don't think it is anything to do with his back.

He has probably signed long term with the Eagles on way less than he could get in the open market and is trying to get a salary increase.

My understanding is that the Eagles promised him more money but he hasn't seen it yet.
That's correct - it's been reported that his next contract was going to be a significant increase but it was of course, never put in writing. Now they have Harley Reid and there's a new sheriff in town by the name of Don Pyke.

So the 'offer' is not reflecting what was indicated in previous discussions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would people rate:
1) Re signing Parker last year for 2 more
2) Followed by the signing of Adams

There were a few clues that Parker was starting to lose his effectiveness. I feel this might have then lead to us signing Adams for 3. But in the end, we potentially have 2 reasonably well paid players who may not be best 22. Certainly feel like neither is in our best midfield mix and there's really only room for one on half forward (IMO Parker is the better forward).

How would people rate:

There were a few clues that Parker was starting to lose his effectiveness. I feel this might have then lead to us signing Adams for 3. But in the end, we potentially have 2 reasonably well paid players who may not be best 22. Certainly feel like neither is in our best midfield mix and there's really only room for one on half forward (IMO Parker is the better forward).

Parker signed in 2021 didnt he? at the time it made sense 100%.

Adams was cheap trade wise, cap wise not sure, but we got bullied in the guts, the way we used him is odd

How would people rate:

They were good signings.

It's still not clear what role, if any, they can play in a potential flag tilt, but they are much better options than what most clubs have.

How would people rate:

I think you are confusing Parker with Rampe.

Parker re-signed in 2021.

How would people rate:

I'm happy to pay Parker for a few more years than his best. Having his leadership around the club is important.

He's still a key player for our club and we wouldn't have been where we are today without him.

It's not a debate of 2 vs 4 years but rather he likely would have just left to get 4 years elsewhere

I'm happy to pay Parker for a few more years than his best. Having his leadership around the club is important.

He's still a key player for our club and we wouldn't have been where we are today without him.

It's not a debate of 2 vs 4 years but rather he likely would have just left to get 4 years elsewhere
I agree with this. Never have agreed with the Adams decision. Just don't think he adds anything to our list and his disposal is very ordinary. It does seem to me though that Adams is in favour with Horse, Parker not and the bar for Parker to cement his spot seems higher than Adams.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back