• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, just depends how brutally we prune the senior/rookie list.

Would have Lloyd over Magor, but would have been nice to give Magor a shot in his actual position.
This has annoyed the heck out of me. Why on earth haven't we played Magor and Vickery in the roles we drafted them from? Is there a disconnect between the list management team and the coaches, particularly the VFL coach? I haven't seen a lot of them live but what I saw of Magor I liked. Composed, hard, disciplined. In defence. What about mid/forward? Grrrr!

This has annoyed the heck out of me. Why on earth haven't we played Magor and Vickery in the roles we drafted them from? Is there a disconnect between the list management team and the coaches, particularly the VFL coach? I haven't seen a lot of them live but what I saw of Magor I liked. Composed, hard, disciplined. In defence. What about mid/forward? Grrrr!
Vickery was drafted as a half back and small defender, as per Beatson's post draft comments (which actually calmed me down at the time, because otherwise we just drafted another winger).

Magor was put back because our VFL team was awful in the first half of last year. No point sitting him as a forward without any delivery, so get him involved other ways. The problem is, we never really switched him back. So now he'll be judged and probably cut based on a position that wasn't what he was good at. When a medium forward is actually a need.

I say he isn't because he isn't played as one and has never been. If we have ideas to put him in that role once Cunningham retires, ok, but until I see any evidence of there being a backup, I'd like to draft one. Either way, we're then going to need someone to replace Roberts, which Oliver may be able to do too.

And as I said, I don't know too much about Oliver, other than that he sounds like a half back, with pace and foot skills, but is also hard at the contest and not afraid to hit packs. Maybe the latter doesn't mean he's played specifically as a small defender and I'm reading too much into it, but around our picks he seems the most likely to fill that role.

Corey not sure. I'd imagine we would have played him there at either level if it was in our thinking. We did it immediately with Campbell, even though he joined as a mid/fwd.

Also, I'm not sure why you're talking about playing a draftee on a tricky small forward. Cunningham isn't retiring this year, neither is Fox. I expect both to be on our list next year. The idea is to get someone in to develop a bit before you have to play them in the AFL.
You took draftee too literally. I used it as code for inexperienced player. Harry, Florent, Lloyd and Blakey all played a fair bit in other positions before becoming defenders, not to mention Tom. Even Roberts.
Only Harry plays as a lockdown small. So far we have had bugger all success drafting smaller defenders. All converts.
Campbell was/is, I'm pretty sure, intended to be used as a super boot to clear the ball out to the wing, not as a lockdown defender.
Of our existing troops I wondered if Corey has the necessary physical characteristics to perform that role. Who knows what the coaches think?

The bigger picture to me is that draftee contracts are too short. Even with an extra year for 1st round picks, I think it isn't enough time for a lot of players to establish themselves.

Players like Konstanty and Vickery and Magor are just babies in a footballing sense, but clubs are almost forced to delist them because they have make room on the list for another 4 or 5 kids.

Last edited:
I know i chucked it out there about a month or two ago with regards to Reef McInnes and yes being a Sydney club means that its hard to lure these guys away but he could be on the move and i feel like he would complement our forward line alot better as he is a great as a contested player and loves a mark. Could he be a solution to the KPF problem by undersizing a bit and going 2 KPFs + McInnes?

Predicting 90% of people to say no to this hypothetical

The bigger picture to me is that draftee contracts are too short. Even with an extra year for 1st round picks, I think it isn't enough time for a lot of players to establish themselves.

Players like Konstanty and Vickery and Magor and just babies in a footballing sense, but clubs are almost forced to delist them because they have make room on the list for another 4 or 5 kids.
Agree you either make it as a 18-20 year old especially in non key positions or you have a gap of 2-3 years and make it as a 23-25 year old returnee

Players like Konstanty and Vickery and Magor and just babies in a footballing sense, but clubs are almost forced to delist them because they have make room on the list for another 4 or 5 kids.
Agree. Alongside that lists are too small. Turnover of 15-20% every year would be unacceptable in any other workplace.

Don't know if we necessarily need another half back considering there is currently a log-jam there and also we have Carmichael for next year who will most likely be within the national draft range of picks.

Agree with picking up one of the Whitlocks or Shanahan with one of the firsts we have as it looks likely that 1-2 KP players alongside Reid won't be on the list in 2025. Also agree on matching Cochran just a question of with pick 56 that will come in to around pick 45 or with pick 74 that will filter into like pick 55-60 or so.

Wonder what we do with the other first, personally i like grabbing a medium forward or maybe another mid/forward hybrid but still with a couple months before the draft we will wait and see what falls out
What about Tim Membrey

I know i chucked it out there about a month or two ago with regards to Reef McInnes and yes being a Sydney club means that its hard to lure these guys away but he could be on the move and i feel like he would complement our forward line alot better as he is a great as a contested player and loves a mark. Could he be a solution to the KPF problem by undersizing a bit and going 2 KPFs + McInnes?

I think he is underrated and could be handy.

I am just not sure we are going to have the list spots to be bringing in fringe players from other teams, unless some players are leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All for it and could be one we get relatively cheap a F3 or something

Neither Davis nor Gerryn are in Twomey’s Phantom Top 30.

Which I find remarkable …. even though I have absolutely no idea about the Vic kids.

#VICBIAS

Not surprised on the latter one, think Davis goes higher than everyone thinks though.

Neither Davis nor Gerryn are in Twomey’s Phantom Top 30.

Which I find remarkable …. even though I have absolutely no idea about the Vic kids.

#VICBIAS
FWIW, ESPN have Gerryn at #21, and Davis at #26 in their rankings today

You took draftee too literally. I used it as code for inexperienced player. Harry, Florent, Lloyd and Blakey all played a fair bit in other positions before becoming defenders, not to mention Tom. Even Roberts.
Only Harry plays as a lockdown small. So far we have had bugger all success drafting smaller defenders. All converts.
Campbell was/is, I'm pretty sure, intended to be used as a super boot to clear the ball out to the wing, not as a lockdown defender.
Of our existing troops I wondered if Corey has the necessary physical characteristics to perform that role. Who knows what the coaches think?
If Wicks gets pushed out of small forward role, I reckon there is a chance he could have a career turnaround as. Small defender. He has the tenacity, he just needs to focus it a little more.

I am intrigued by the notion of a pest small defender who drives their small forward absolutely nuts - but they need discipline to do it.

He would be a good get. Pies play him as a key forward which he's not. He's in the mold of Membery where he plays tall but isn't your focal point.

If we got him I could see him fit in nicely. He's also been played in defence the last couple weeks and doing alright.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back