Votes: 2 6.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Article is more appropiate for this thread:

We need a Rampe replacement & a key defender..

Potential Cunningham and Rampe/KPD replacement for me...

Mentioned previously that a haul of Harrison Oliver (tough, quick HB/defender), Matt Whitlock (mentioned in article, KPF/KPD) and Cochran (intercepting KPD) would be decent.

Grabbing legitimate KPF and a separate KPD also an option with first 2 picks, then we'll have to look for a Cunningham replacement elsewhere. Mills down back gives us some more breathing space, with Fox too, but need a small, quick defender at some point.

If we're confident on nabbing Charlie McCartin then Oliver (only if we see him as a small def) and a full time KPF would do nicely, along with Cochran.

Last edited:

Potential Cunningham and Rampe/KPD replacement for me...

Mentioned previously that a haul of Harrison Oliver (tough, quick HB/defender), Matt Whitlock (mentioned in article, KPF/KPD) and Cochran (intercepting KPD) would be decent.

Grabbing legitimate KPF and a separate KPD also an option with first 2 picks, then we'll have to look for a Cunningham replacement elsewhere. Mills down back gives us some more breathing space, with Fox too, but need a small, quick defender at some point.

If we're confident on nabbing Charlie McCartin then Oliver (only if we see him as a small def) and a full time KPF would do nicely, along with Cochran.
Im guessing if you are grabbing 2 KPDs that there would be a major cut to the KPD depth in both Francis and Arnold going out the door?

Im guessing if you are grabbing 2 KPDs that there would be a major cut to the KPD depth in both Francis and Arnold going out the door?
Purely in terms of numbers, if drafting is the means, then I think we need a net increase of 1 KPD.

We'll need to replace Rampe next year. Hamling also getting on.

So I'd only be looking at cutting 1 of Arnold or Francis. If both then we need 3 KPDs in by next year.

E.g. if both are cut and we replace them with 2 draftees, by end of 2025 we may have the following in AFL / VFL:

TMac
Melican
Edwards/Snell

Edwards/Snell
2024 Draftee (maybe Charlie Mc)
2024 Draftee

That's slim, especially with Tmac and Melican's histories, so we either draft 3 (I want 7 KPDs), or draft 2 and pick up another mature ager.

Brandon Parfitt anyone? I always rated this guy and shocked that he can't get a regular game for Geelong even though he's been a solid player and plays very well when called upon. Whispers of him potentially being moved on if not delisted.

Would be very handy depth at worst, good for the VFL, and worst case a replacement if Parker was to leave. He's only 26 too.

Will get a better idea after the future stars game on GF day, but I am interested to see if we move one of our 1st round picks into next year.

Carmichael and the small glimpse of Max King was very exciting. If someone told me both of them were going in the top 10 next year, I wouldn't be shocked.

gotta say, thanks to Richmond's exodus and Melbourne imploding, I haven't heard peep about Freo trying to poach Warner for a while. Thanks incompetent Victorian teams!
I think someone posted something last week that it's looking increasingly like he will stay in Sydney.
How freaking marvellous will that be if it happens? Being able to keep our entire list together for the medium term is something most clubs, particularly non Melbourne clubs, can only dream of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ladhams’ manager was on Gettable and wasn’t overly convincing that he’d be staying at the Swans.
Would have been better to keep RJ, if he was willing to play VFL, to mentor McA and Green. Ladhams is one different dude and can't see what he brings on and off the field.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Would have been better to keep RJ, if he was willing to play VFL, to mentor McA and Green. Ladhams is one different dude and can't see what he brings on and off the field.

Love Hickey but I think he was cooked by the end. Would love him in a pastoral role but I get the feeling that once the boots were hung up it was back home to Queensland.

Nah. He was cooked, wouldn't have made it through the VFL season let alone an AFL one.

We have pick 18 and 19. Plus pick 56.

We have a great team. We won the minor premiership.
We have the core of our midfield less than 25. Some a degree less.
We have experience all over the park.
The immediate future is secure.

Development.
What do we need for the future. While we are contending, we are simultaneously developing a side for the future as well. Unlike most sides. We continue to keep keeping on. Continuously.

Defenders
We also have two KPDs in Snell and Edwards earmarked for the future.

Mids
We have young mids in Sheldrick, Warner Co, Mitchell etc

Ruck
Green. A first round pick. Stretch doing his best.

Forwards
We don't have a young KPF.
Smalls: Konstanty not blooming. But Hanily brought in.

The future spine is being developed. KPDs underway. Ruck looks covered. A young KPF is needed.

All the mediums and smalls may not be obviously there but the Swans usually fill medium and small defenders and forwards with mids. See Roberts, Florent, Rampe, Heeney etc. Not worried about those. Obviously if a player turns up at our pick and screams pick me, I don't expect us to pick them.

The Draft
I reckon we are deficient in KPF and maybe a medium forward for the future. That is the area where I expect we spend our picks.

PS
But you always need more mids.

Ladhams’ manager was on Gettable and wasn’t overly convincing that he’d be staying at the Swans.

We have pick 18 and 19. Plus pick 56.

We have a great team. We won the minor premiership.
We have the core of our midfield less than 25. Some a degree less.
We have experience all over the park.
The immediate future is secure.

Development.
What do we need for the future. While we are contending, we are simultaneously developing a side for the future as well. Unlike most sides. We continue to keep keeping on. Continuously.

Defenders
We also have two KPDs in Snell and Edwards earmarked for the future.

Mids
We have young mids in Sheldrick, Warner Co, Mitchell etc

Ruck
Green. A first round pick. Stretch doing his best.

Forwards
We don't have a young KPF.
Smalls: Konstanty not blooming. But Hanily brought in.

The future spine is being developed. KPDs underway. Ruck looks covered. A young KPF is needed.

All the mediums and smalls may not be obviously there but the Swans usually fill medium and small defenders and forwards with mids. See Roberts, Florent, Rampe, Heeney etc. Not worried about those. Obviously if a player turns up at our pick and screams pick me, I don't expect us to pick them.

The Draft
I reckon we are deficient in KPF and maybe a medium forward for the future. That is the area where I expect we spend our picks.

PS
But you always need more mids.
Good summary. Bang on for our needs. With those picks we are unlikely to get an absolute top notcher but there appear to be a few decent ones that might be around the mark for one of our picks. I imagine we'll take Cochran as a tall medium defender. Maybe we'll try to split the other pick for Cochran and a next year second or something like that if 56 won't get it done.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back