• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough for Ladhams to request a trade if that's what ends up happening. If he went to a team like West Coast he'd be their starting ruck.

Unfortunately for him, neither he or Grundy are any good in that resting forward/ruck role, and ideally one of Green or McAndrew is ready to replace Grundy once he's cooked.

Would ideally like to find an older bargain bin ruck as a back-up until then, but that's what Ladhams was in the first place, so no harm done ultimately.

Fair enough for Ladhams to request a trade if that's what ends up happening. If he went to a team like West Coast he'd be their starting ruck.

Unfortunately for him, neither he or Grundy are any good in that resting forward/ruck role, and ideally one of Green or McAndrew is ready to replace Grundy once he's cooked.

Would ideally like to find an older bargain bin ruck as a back-up until then, but that's what Ladhams was in the first place, so no harm done ultimately.

Yer but surely Grundy cant be expected to Ruck 23 rounds again next season we are going to run him into the ground

Its infuriating how we kept giving away premiership rucks to other contenders for packets of chips can we stop doing that in the future please.

Yer but surely Grundy cant be expected to Ruck 23 rounds again next season we are going to run him into the ground
Yeah but Ladhams is a better player than someone to have come in for a few rounds a year because our main ruck needs a rest. If there's a team that could guarantee him game time next year, it'd be hard to blame him for leaving.

We could replace him with say Tom Campbell who the Saints just delisted and it would be pretty inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.
Its infuriating how we kept giving away premiership rucks to other contenders for packets of chips can we stop doing that in the future please.
I think we'd get a token late pick for Ladhams. Fair enough too, we pretty much got him for free and his value has decreased since then.

We have pick 18 and 19. Plus pick 56.

We have a great team. We won the minor premiership.
We have the core of our midfield less than 25. Some a degree less.
We have experience all over the park.
The immediate future is secure.

Development.
What do we need for the future. While we are contending, we are simultaneously developing a side for the future as well. Unlike most sides. We continue to keep keeping on. Continuously.

Defenders
We also have two KPDs in Snell and Edwards earmarked for the future.

Mids
We have young mids in Sheldrick, Warner Co, Mitchell etc

Ruck
Green. A first round pick. Stretch doing his best.

Forwards
We don't have a young KPF.
Smalls: Konstanty not blooming. But Hanily brought in.

The future spine is being developed. KPDs underway. Ruck looks covered. A young KPF is needed.

All the mediums and smalls may not be obviously there but the Swans usually fill medium and small defenders and forwards with mids. See Roberts, Florent, Rampe, Heeney etc. Not worried about those. Obviously if a player turns up at our pick and screams pick me, I don't expect us to pick them.

The Draft
I reckon we are deficient in KPF and maybe a medium forward for the future. That is the area where I expect we spend our picks.

PS
But you always need more mids.
Someone sees eye to eye with me. Cooper Hynes and a Whitlock brother are realistic. Shanahan if he somehow falls would be the unrealistic KPF. We do have to be mindful of Buller but i expect this will be the last year for him unless he starts like a house on fire

What Meek, Sweet and the Big O have shown is that there are good rucks to be found in reserves or the state leagues. Ladhams could've been good for us but has been let down by his temperament. If he goes, that's not a bad outcome for all concerned and we can either comb the level below for a suitable backup for Grundy or put our faith in McAndrew and Green. We are fortunate in having good backup from Mclean, Amartey and potentially Buller too.

Last edited:
Just a younger Wicks tbh so i would rather go for a draftee than replace/challenge a 25 year old with a 23 year old
Wicks has become a bit of a whipping boy on these boards but he a good small forward.

The dude is still contracted for next yr, can still pop up impact the board and bring others into the game. Not overly keen to replace him

Wicks has become a bit of a whipping boy on these boards but he a good small forward.

The dude is still contracted for next yr, can still pop up impact the board and bring others into the game. Not overly keen to replace him
All im saying is that Rosas plays a similar role and has similar impact as Wicks so if we were to try and upgrade on Wicks it would be through the draft and not Rosas. (I don't think we will upgrade him in the next year or two anyway)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All im saying is that Rosas plays a similar role and has similar impact as Wicks so if we were to try and upgrade on Wicks it would be through the draft and not Rosas. (I don't think we will upgrade him in the next year or two anyway)

No reason that they both can’t be in our AFL squad providing competition for each other with Hanily. I’d prefer our first two draft picks used on a tall and a mid.

Yep, upgrade through trade. Rosas wouldn't be an upgrade. Draft if there's someone good enough.

Yep, upgrade through trade. Rosas wouldn't be an upgrade. Draft if there's someone good enough.
Like i understand it if you only have a couple of project guys but no point just taking all of the dead wood from other places and hoping they turn out well.

What does the trade look like?

No idea obviously but thinking out loud, he’s under contract for another year which typically means you have to give more than if they are out of contact but the club reportedly has given him the green light to seek another club so maybe that deflates the trade currency. Not that he’d be worth a hell of a lot anyway given he’s hardly a hot commodity who has proven himself.

I’d happily give a third rounder for him given we are right in our contention prime and could do with ready-made and undervalued commodities

(I know with us in finals no exit meetings have been undertaken) but Ngl its a little refreshing to have little trade news in/out other than if something comes up for Ladhams. Yes it might get a little more busy when Sydney's season finishes but hopefully it is a relatively quiet one and we go to the draft to upgrade rather than the usual trying to find gold out of other teams tailings

Rewatching some of our games earlier this year, his work was pretty solid to be honest. I'm with you, we're unlikely to find better out there elsewhere for what we'd want to pay.

Think Wicks still has a role to play as a small forward next year.

Just needs to reset after a season from hell really. He was on the outer with the playing group after whatever shenanigans went on early this year and his form dropped away badly from his 2023 output which was masked by the team winning. The suspension was the cherry on top.

If he can get back to his best he can help us a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back