• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I swear if Cleary is near the lockdown defender role I'll go full ropeable. Can we stop this playing guys completely out of position, if we want a lockdown defender, fine, draft one.
And you barrack for the swans? Horse must have driven you to distraction. Players do not emerge from junior ranks in "set" positions. They have skills, deficiencies and aptitudes. I like Cleary's fearless attack and his tackling pressure. He could play almost anywhere on the ground. I think he has the discipline to be an elite small defender. We won't know until he is tried there at the top level. Horse will try him wherever the team's needs are greatest, our choices are limited and he offers the best of those choices of performing at a high level. You will never know if he is playing "out of position" until you try him there. Rhys Jones won a Norm Smith medal playing "out of position."

I swear if Cleary is near the lockdown defender role I'll go full ropeable. Can we stop this playing guys completely out of position, if we want a lockdown defender, fine, draft one.
I support the idea of drafting someone, at least by next years MSD, to be a future small defender... but... neither Smith, nor Cunningham, nor Fox etc were small/med defenders at time of drafting.

I get the frustration of drafting a player and then playing them anywhere but their original position e.g. Campbell, Magor etc. So if the experiments don't work out, play them in their original position, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try them out somewhere if you think they have the traits.

And you barrack for the swans? Horse must have driven you to distraction. Players do not emerge from junior ranks in "set" positions. They have skills, deficiencies and aptitudes. I like Cleary's fearless attack and his tackling pressure. He could play almost anywhere on the ground. I think he has the discipline to be an elite small defender. We won't know until he is tried there at the top level. Horse will try him wherever the team's needs are greatest, our choices are limited and he offers the best of those choices of performing at a high level. You will never know if he is playing "out of position" until you try him there. Rhys Jones won a Norm Smith medal playing "out of position."

We hopefully have learnt from having Mills back there too long and for that matter Heeney not in the middle. I have no issue drafting a small forward in fact I would at the 3rd or 4th selection

I support the idea of drafting someone, at least by next years MSD, to be a future small defender... but... neither Smith, nor Cunningham, nor Fox etc were small/med defenders at time of drafting.

I get the frustration of drafting a player and then playing them anywhere but their original position e.g. Campbell, Magor etc. So if the experiments don't work out, play them in their original position, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try them out somewhere if you think they have the traits.

You only have to look at Campbell and see how bad this playing out of position goes. It is why I always say picking guys in natural positions is more effective, and if that means your 12th mid doesn’t make a side so be it

I agree with LukeParkerno1 that we don't play Cleary as a lockdown defender. He is literally made to be on ball in 2-3 years he just needs to wait his turn much like Rowbottom and others did when he was blooded through the forward line. If anyone had lock down defender vibes it would be Wicksy imo.

I agree with LukeParkerno1 that we don't play Cleary as a lockdown defender. He is literally made to be on ball in 2-3 years he just needs to wait his turn much like Rowbottom and others did when he was blooded through the forward line. If anyone had lock down defender vibes it would be Wicksy imo.

Yep no issue Cleary playing HF with stints here and there in the middle next year depending on how the side is going and what not

Cleary has shown already that he is going to be an elite runner in the AFL and he has midfield skills. He was 2nd in the Swans time trial earlier in the year which isn't the easiest thing to do for a young player in their first AFL pre season.

He's going to be a gun midfielder in the AFL. Not suggesting he is starting in the midfield next season, however, he could or should hold down a forward/mid role.

Interesting quote from Chad in yesterday’s West Australian.

In relation to Ashton & Troy:

“Yeah, I’ve spoken to (the recruiters) about them. Hopefully we can make something happen”.

Given Ashton has fallen waaaaay down the WA draft pecking order, seems a bit ambitious by The Chad.

Last edited:
Cleary has shown already that he is going to be an elite runner in the AFL and he has midfield skills. He was 2nd in the Swans time trial earlier in the year which isn't the easiest thing to do for a young player in their first AFL pre season.

He's going to be a gun midfielder in the AFL. Not suggesting he is starting in the midfield next season, however, he could or should hold down a forward/mid role.

You'd assume that if Parker goes, he could play HF with a stint here and there in the midfield next year, increasing the time in the middle in 2026 and beyond

Interesting quote from Chad in yesterday’s West Australian.

In relation to Ashton & Corey:

“Yeah, I’ve spoken to (the recruiters) about them. Hopefully we can make something happen”.

Given Ashton has fallen waaaaay down the WA draft pecking order, seems a bit ambitious by The Chad.
But it also sounds like Chad is staying, then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, I guess Chad has been promoting them to the Richmond recruiters.

The way it sounded was that he had been speaking internally, which would mean that he plans to stay. I may have completely misread it, though.

Exactly how I read it too mate

Agree with the first, Cleary has shown talent in the midfield and forward, let's work on that first.
We've tried drafting a small lockdown defender and so far it appears not to have worked. Thought we might have gone with Lachie Cabor who played there in the Allies but we didn't. 🤷

How do you read that from that? Recruiters could be at any club

The article I read said Warner was talking up his two brothers to Leon Cameron.

From the McKirdy article ...

And with Ashton Warner looming in this year’s draft – “Without having to pump them up too much, I think they are going to be better,” Chad said of his two youngest brothers – maybe a third, talented Warner on the list could give him even more reason to stay in Sydney.

“I’ve been talking to (Leon Cameron) a little bit about it so hopefully they can get something done there,” Warner joked.

We hopefully have learnt from having Mills back there too long and for that matter Heeney not in the middle. I have no issue drafting a small forward in fact I would at the 3rd or 4th selection
Mills playing in defence is better for the team ( and him ) at the moment. Can he play midfield and on ball? Of course he can. Heeney....agreed. He could have been rotated through the midfield more often and earlier. Horse obviously felt for many, many years that Heeney would create a defence nightmare for the opposition...just as he does now when he "rests" forward. KPD and KPD with our first picks then best of remaining mids ( look for tank, sprint and footskills.)

There's no massive urgency with the small lockdown defender. Harry has just re-signed for 2 years and is in career best form as far as that role goes. Robbo will improve never having played or trained in the backline more or less until he was selected there. Vickery is being groomed for the role; Kirk is another option, maybe even Konstanty if he isn't working out up forward and isn't delisted? For now, my money is on Vickery to be Harry's successor. What I like about Vickery is that he is composed and he is quick enough.

Mills playing in defence is better for the team ( and him ) at the moment. Can he play midfield and on ball? Of course he can. Heeney....agreed. He could have been rotated through the midfield more often and earlier. Horse obviously felt for many, many years that Heeney would create a defence nightmare for the opposition...just as he does now when he "rests" forward. KPD and KPD with our first picks then best of remaining mids ( look for tank, sprint and footskills.)
Don't forget we have Cochran 195cm defender from the Academy. Might go "all tall".

You only have to look at Campbell and see how bad this playing out of position goes. It is why I always say picking guys in natural positions is more effective, and if that means your 12th mid doesn’t make a side so be it
Not sure that this was the only reason for Campbell's slow growth in confidence. You may be correct, but Horse was never going to give him a midfield role from the get go. Swan recruits generally earn those stripes after stints across half forward or half back. Don't know why, but Campbell seemed reluctant to actually position himself to demand the ball as the best placed option or intercept it himself. That last quarter display against GWS was a coming of age for Campbell. It was one hell of an announcement of his arrival in the best 22.

KPF with our first thanks, we actually have some good defenders and Cochrane coming. I'd be happy with a general defender with our second of those 'first' rounders or take the best available so to speak. I do have questions on both McLean AND Amartey going forward, Joel played well last week but that was the first one in months.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back