• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure that this was the only reason for Campbell's slow growth in confidence. You may be correct, but Horse was never going to give him a midfield role from the get go. Swan recruits generally earn those stripes after stints across half forward or half back. Don't know why, but Campbell seemed reluctant to actually position himself to demand the ball as the best placed option or intercept it himself. That last quarter display against GWS was a coming of age for Campbell. It was one hell of an announcement of his arrival in the best 22.

Was always going to not suit defence, and in fact if he was ever going to work it was wing to half forward. Should always have played there whether in seniors or in the VFL.

Agree with the first, Cleary has shown talent in the midfield and forward, let's work on that first.
We've tried drafting a small lockdown defender and so far it appears not to have worked. Thought we might have gone with Lachie Cabor who played there in the Allies but we didn't. 🤷

The year we missed Darcy Wilmot was very annoying to say the least

KPF with our first thanks, we actually have some good defenders and Cochrane coming. I'd be happy with a general defender with our second of those 'first' rounders or take the best available so to speak. I do have questions on both McLean AND Amartey going forward, Joel played well last week but that was the first one in months.
Go the Whitlock twins. I honestly wouldn't be unhappy with that.

There's no massive urgency with the small lockdown defender. Harry has just re-signed for 2 years and is in career best form as far as that role goes. Robbo will improve never having played or trained in the backline more or less until he was selected there. Vickery is being groomed for the role; Kirk is another option, maybe even Konstanty if he isn't working out up forward and isn't delisted? For now, my money is on Vickery to be Harry's successor. What I like about Vickery is that he is composed and he is quick enough.
I quite agree about the lack of urgency regarding a small lockdown defender. As I said, I reckon Cleary has the skill and aptitude to succeed in the role. Could he be used in other roles? Definitely. He's a keeper. I am interested in your nominations of Vickery, Kirk and Konstanty. Composed and quick enough - two attributes that almost all footballers would aspire to have in their cv. My guess is that only one of those three will gain a renewed contract.

I quite agree about the lack of urgency regarding a small lockdown defender. As I said, I reckon Cleary has the skill and aptitude to succeed in the role. Could he be used in other roles? Definitely. He's a keeper. I am interested in your nominations of Vickery, Kirk and Konstanty. Composed and quick enough - two attributes that almost all footballers would aspire to have in their cv. My guess is that only one of those three will gain a renewed contract.

Unlike some others, I'm happy to entertain the idea of Cleary being played in defence. Just because he shone in the front half doesn't mean he couldn't play elsewhere. He has the right attributes. In modern footy you have to be versatile. And just because you are drafted (or play) in a particular position, doesn't mean you will stay there. Robbo is playing as a defender currently (which I definitely didn't see coming - unlike Kiama Chris ) but he could still wind up playing midfield in future. There are countless other examples of our other players having moved around. In fact almost all of our backline started elsewhere.

Whitlock brothers and Charlie McCartin does make us a little tall doesn't it? It depends on who leaves the club but you would back a couple of them to turn good

That's why I'm expecting us to take a tall, sort of best available utility at the second of our firsts, ideally Cochrane as a rookie (he won't be bid on until a late 3rd at best)

Unlike some others, I'm happy to entertain the idea of Cleary being played in defence. Just because he shone in the front half doesn't mean he couldn't play elsewhere. He has the right attributes. In modern footy you have to be versatile. And just because you are drafted (or play) in a particular position, doesn't mean you will stay there. Robbo is playing as a defender currently (which I definitely didn't see coming - unlike Kiama Chris ) but he could still wind up playing midfield in future. There are countless other examples of our other players having moved around. In fact almost all of our backline started elsewhere.
I wouldn't write off Cleary to defence but I think the timing would be wrong.
Unless something dramatic happens he and Sheldrick will form the core of our VFL inside midfield next season working on their trade with Adams (maybe) as their mentor.
I think this is a great development path and far better than shifting around just yet.
Later maybe.
A lot depends on what happens with Parker and what Adams' role might be but that's how I see it.
BTW I think Gus would be a better defender than Caiden but don't want either there.

And that 'one' can consider themselves very lucky

There's no massive urgency with the small lockdown defender. Harry has just re-signed for 2 years and is in career best form as far as that role goes. Robbo will improve never having played or trained in the backline more or less until he was selected there. Vickery is being groomed for the role; Kirk is another option, maybe even Konstanty if he isn't working out up forward and isn't delisted? For now, my money is on Vickery to be Harry's successor. What I like about Vickery is that he is composed and he is quick enough.
Roberts needs to fix his other side and will be part of the midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back