• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 18 27.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember people telling me to calm down in 2022 when we picked who we picked and didn't pick the likes of Weddle, Gruzewski, Barnett.

At least we thought Vickery might be the next Cunningham I guess.

Magor was the only one I was excited by tbh and then we failed to play him in his actual position once we got some structure in the VFL side.

Last edited:

Pre Parker trade we are currently sitting at 36-3-2 split

We know Parker will go. Therefore, 35-3-2

There is a much better chance than not that Konstanty leaves: 34-3-2 (39)

Leaves 5 spots in the drafts, i would expect a 3 main list and 2 rookie list split. Leaves us with 37-5-2

I expect to see Cochran picked up in the national draft: Leaves us with imo 2 top 40 picks in some manner and 2 rookie selections

Discuss...

Presumably the Parker deal gets done towards the end of next week, and we get an idea on what's happening with Mitchell, Ladhams, Konstanty, and any other trade(s) once trade week officially starts tomorrow.
Probably waiting on interest in Ladams to work out what to do with McAndrew

Konstanty, Mitchell ( too slow), Kirk and Francis all very lucky. So far.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
If the club doesn’t want to re-sign Kon and Sid, they may have a bit of trade value - so no way they’d be delisted now.

Francis is needed depth.

Agree Kirk appears lucky. I’m yet to see anything there.

Both could be first round picks, especially King.

Bullish on King's upside but on current performance/scope look like a cusp second rpund to third round. Has shown glimpses and I feel he has the highest ceiling/lowest floor out of the three likely academy picks next year.

Would definitely be worth a list spot either way

While Beatson is not great with first round picks, he almost always nails picks when he finds a way to get up the drafter order / create shenanigans to get there (eg. The West Coast pick trade from a while back).

If we go up the order and get Armstrong, I am confident we will have a gun.

Armstrong would be a good get, however, really, really want Hetherton. Riverina KPF would looks good in air and set shot. Likely to be top 5 pick so bit of a pipe dream for us.

Shanahan may be next player to nab if Armstrong isn't there

Outside of Hetherton and academy players, some to keep an eye on for 2025:

Cody Curtin: brother of Dan Curtin and a KPD likely first
Riley Onley: big bodied mid likely first
Matt LeRay: fwd/mid likely second

Lots to go under the bridge

Would it be worth us trading our 2 top picks for GC's 13 pick + future 2nd or 3rd (if possible)? We could then use 13 for Shanahan (or whichever KF is considered to be best at that pick), LP pick and pick 58 for our remaining selections.

Future 2nd / 3rd will be useful to match bids in 2025.

Would it be worth us trading our 2 top picks for GC's 13 pick + future 2nd or 3rd (if possible)? We could then use 13 for Shanahan (or whichever KF is considered to be best at that pick), LP pick and pick 58 for our remaining selections.

Future 2nd / 3rd will be useful to match bids in 2025.

Wouldn't be surprised if that is what we are trying to do.

Our later picks will likely be pushed out by four with bid matching etc. (Ashcroft, Kako, Lombardo and Marshall)

Rohan wants to play on....

Now that the Cats have taught him how to show up in big games (sometimes) eff it, bring him home.

Not the worst idea , what's the downside, plays VFL

Wouldn't be surprised if that is what we are trying to do.

Our later picks will likely be pushed out by four with bid matching etc. (Ashcroft, Kako, Lombardo and Marshall)
Later picks won't be pushed out tho. Given that it takes more than 1 pick to match top picks. Most matches involve 2-3 picks so you end up with say the #58 we currently have i would expect to end up being pick 52 or so when we use it to match Cochran. Will be more obvious next year in what will be the "match" draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Later picks won't be pushed out tho. Given that it takes more than 1 pick to match top picks. Most matches involve 2-3 picks so you end up with say the #58 we currently have i would expect to end up being pick 52 or so when we use it to match Cochran. Will be more obvious next year in what will be the "match" draft

We have no second rounder currently so... is kinda moot.

Brissie have pick 20
Dons pick 9
GC 6 and 13

Ashcroft top 5 pick - push back one for pick 19 (brissie first slides ahead of 19)
Dons use pick 9, bid for Kako pick 12ish - push back one
GC keep pick 13 and use it - Lombardo pick 14 or so - push back one

That pushes us back to pick 22 and 24 already.

Marshall gets bid on pick 20, brissie match, push back again.

Likely have picks 23 and 25 if we do not move em on.

Our current pick 58 might go up to around 50 at best

We have no second rounder currently so... is kinda moot.

Brissie have pick 20
Dons pick 9
GC 6 and 13

Ashcroft top 5 pick - push back one for pick 19 (brissie first slides ahead of 19)
Dons use pick 9, bid for Kako pick 12ish - push back one
GC keep pick 13 and use it - Lombardo pick 14 or so - push back one

That pushes us back to pick 22 and 24 already.

Marshall gets bid on pick 20, brissie match, push back again.

Likely have picks 23 and 25 if we do not move em on.

Our current pick 58 might go up to around 50 at best
Yep you referenced later picks so that meant our pick 58 and not 19 and 22 which will get pushed back 3 or 4 each as you said

This is just my personal wishlist of players we need in the 22 (ie not just on the list being overlooked by the match selection committee for various reasons):

1. AT LEAST two more small forwards. Preferably one who is damaging with the ball (ie goals, assists) and one who is elite with pressure (ie fast, good tackler.) Ideally they'd be good at both but being realistic, such players are hard to find so I'd settle for one who is strong in each area. I think we desperately need more players that can win the ball and do good things with it at ground level for us inside 50, and players who can pressure and close the opposition's time and space when they have it in our forward 50.

2. TWO more contested types that can run through the midfield. Again, like the small forwards, preferably one who is damaging with the ball (ie hard balls, clearances), and one who can be more of a two-way mid (ie can do tagging jobs.) We need more supply out of the mids beyond just Heeney & Rowbottom, and we also desperately need someone who can shut down opposition mids on the inside (as opposed to Jordon, who is great at his tagging jobs but they are mainly on outside players.)

I think there are players on our list who could potentially fill these roles - Campbell, Cleary, Sheldrick & Mills, in that order - but geez it wouldn't hurt to increase our odds. For that reason I am not at all opposed to names like Finn Maginness and Matt Owies. Though they may be average players to date, they tick the right boxes of what we are lacking, and it's worth remembering that last year Jordon was the average pick-up and Adams the highly-fancied one, and look how that ended up...

This is just my personal wishlist of players we need in the 22 (ie not just on the list being overlooked by the match selection committee for various reasons):

1. AT LEAST two more small forwards. Preferably one who is damaging with the ball (ie goals, assists) and one who is elite with pressure (ie fast, good tackler.) Ideally they'd be good at both but being realistic, such players are hard to find so I'd settle for one who is strong in each area. I think we desperately need more players that can win the ball and do good things with it at ground level for us inside 50, and players who can pressure and close the opposition's time and space when they have it in our forward 50.

2. TWO more contested types that can run through the midfield. Again, like the small forwards, preferably one who is damaging with the ball (ie hard balls, clearances), and one who can be more of a two-way mid (ie can do tagging jobs.) We need more supply out of the mids beyond just Heeney & Rowbottom, and we also desperately need someone who can shut down opposition mids on the inside (as opposed to Jordon, who is great at his tagging jobs but they are mainly on outside players.)

I think there are players on our list who could potentially fill these roles - Campbell, Cleary, Sheldrick & Mills, in that order - but geez it wouldn't hurt to increase our odds. For that reason I am not at all opposed to names like Finn Maginness and Matt Owies. Though they may be average players to date, they tick the right boxes of what we are lacking, and it's worth remembering that last year Jordon was the average pick-up and Adams the highly-fancied one, and look how that ended up...

We should be all over Riley Garcia.

Bullish on King's upside but on current performance/scope look like a cusp second rpund to third round. Has shown glimpses and I feel he has the highest ceiling/lowest floor out of the three likely academy picks next year.

Would definitely be worth a list spot either way
Long way to go but I think King will be at the very top of the draft if he has an injury free year.

And I can't see how Carmichael won't be in the top 20 as well, unless something goes wrong. He's too good.

Last edited:
So what would that mean in terms of what picks we need to match them?

Well if it went like how I think it could, we are going to need a lot of points.

If you had a bid under 5 and another one under 25 (like Brisbane do this year), you'd need probably five picks under 30 to match both bids.

As it stands, we would have one.

The 2025 system is a huge change and I feel like it is getting underplayed a little bit.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back