• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 19 28.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that we’re reportedly looking to package up our 2 first-rounders.

Could suggest we only intend to take 2 at the draft?

I’d personally be a bit sad if that’s the case.
I think we're losing/lost 6 players (outside of Reid, with Hanily in).

Parker, Konstanty, Vickery, Arnold, Magor, and one of Ladhams/McAndrew probably.

Surely at least 3 at the national draft (maybe 2 plus Cochran). We won't have great rookie picks though, maybe take 1 or 2, then leave an SSP spot.

This is just my personal wishlist of players we need in the 22 (ie not just on the list being overlooked by the match selection committee for various reasons):

1. AT LEAST two more small forwards. Preferably one who is damaging with the ball (ie goals, assists) and one who is elite with pressure (ie fast, good tackler.) Ideally they'd be good at both but being realistic, such players are hard to find so I'd settle for one who is strong in each area. I think we desperately need more players that can win the ball and do good things with it at ground level for us inside 50, and players who can pressure and close the opposition's time and space when they have it in our forward 50.

2. TWO more contested types that can run through the midfield. Again, like the small forwards, preferably one who is damaging with the ball (ie hard balls, clearances), and one who can be more of a two-way mid (ie can do tagging jobs.) We need more supply out of the mids beyond just Heeney & Rowbottom, and we also desperately need someone who can shut down opposition mids on the inside (as opposed to Jordon, who is great at his tagging jobs but they are mainly on outside players.)

I think there are players on our list who could potentially fill these roles - Campbell, Cleary, Sheldrick & Mills, in that order - but geez it wouldn't hurt to increase our odds. For that reason I am not at all opposed to names like Finn Maginness and Matt Owies. Though they may be average players to date, they tick the right boxes of what we are lacking, and it's worth remembering that last year Jordon was the average pick-up and Adams the highly-fancied one, and look how that ended up...
I have no idea who Finn Macginnes is but I'll take him over Owies

Absolutely must try for a manly key forward who can clunk a mark.
Right now we have 3 forwards who are just weak when it comes to the pointy end or when confronted with a top 5 team.
If we go into next year with Armarty McLean and McDonald as our talls might as well write the season off.

I have no idea who Finn Macginnes is but I'll take him over Owies
Finn Maginness is pretty much James Jordan but can find the pill a little better when not tagging. Prefer JJ's ball use but to take Maginness wouldn't be the worst as it would take another tagger out of the league

Is anyone a bit meh if Caleb Mitchell gets retained or not? I don’t think he has many great attributes to really make it. Athletic yes but I don’t rate his skill set nor his decision making.
I had high hopes for him being something of a McInerney 2.0. Hard-running, most damaging when overlapping by hand, capable of elite ball use.

He just doesn't do any of the above anywhere near enough. It makes me question whether he's just a bit-player, someone with too many weaknesses in his game to make him worth persisting with for the occasional bit of briiliance.

But then the other night at the Outside Flanker Awards Bob Skilton Medal, he won VFL player of the year, so I'd say his place on the list is assured for another year. How he won it over Francis or Cleary, I have no idea...

I remember people telling me to calm down in 2022 when we picked who we picked and didn't pick the likes of Weddle, Gruzewski, Barnett.

At least we thought Vickery might be the next Cunningham I guess.

Magor was the only one I was excited by tbh and then we failed to play him in his actual position once we got some structure in the VFL side.

Yet the only one playing any football is Weddle and he not even playing where you wanted him. Both Barnett and Gruzewski look mediocre although I said earlier I’d take a Hail Mary on Barnett if it’s a token 3rd

I'd take Levi for cheap to be honest . I mean who's more chance of kicking a few goals, Levi , Hamling or Francis

Seen Levi kick at goal? Unfortunately you are right as the other two are no hope of kicking one

Yet the only one playing any football is Weddle and he not even playing where you wanted him. Both Barnett and Gruzewski look mediocre although I said earlier I’d take a Hail Mary on Barnett if it’s a token 3rd
Also Weddle didn’t wanna leave Victoria, which is why we didn’t pick him when we had the chance

Current status on the Compo Picks:

• Saints a R1 selection for Battle - currently #8
  • GWS a R1 selection for Perryman - currently #16
  • GWS a R1 selection for Cumming - currently #21
Our late R1 picks are going to feel it this year I think.

Add 2 at least with the Lombard and Kako bids plus you have Ashcroft that’s 3. That’s assuming we don’t pay shenanigans and bid on one of the Carlton boys too.

Also Weddle didn’t wanna leave Victoria, which is why we didn’t pick him when we had the chance

That too. The other two aren’t any good. That whole draft was awful aside from a handful it looks one of the poorest drafts in history

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add 2 at least with the Lombard and Kako bids plus you have Ashcroft that’s 3. That’s assuming we don’t pay shenanigans and bid on one of the Carlton boys too.
Only tracking what we know at the moment - will update as more are completed.

if we can't trade up that's about where we'll end up

Yeah I can see us wanting to trade up but i question the point not as if that key forward will be there at GC’s pick 13 so what’s the point? We could get two talls at the current picks. I’d be looking at the second saints pick personally

Yep fair, I am working off our first being pick 21
Yep as you said its a definite that Ashcroft Lombard and Kako are bid on before our pick and knowing us we will bid on Marshall if he hasn't already so 21 is where that first pick will come in. Camporeale boys will have a similar range to Cochran so don't expect them to be involved in the top 25

Yep as you said its a definite that Ashcroft Lombard and Kako are bid on before our pick and knowing us we will bid on Marshall if he hasn't already so 21 is where that first pick will come in. Camporeale boys will have a similar range to Cochran so don't expect them to be involved in the top 25

Na the good Camporeale one will go in the 23-25 range. Ben will slide agree there

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back