• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 19 27.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as we reflect on the debacle that was Saturday, many here are looking at the prospect of what would/could happen next time we are in a GF.
My problem with that is that I believe it will be many years before we are again in a GF.
It seems that the list management team are going to go down the same path as they did after the 2022 GF believing that the internal progression from the existing squad would/will be enough. No need for new additions to the squad other than the draft. 2023 proved how wrong that was.
Hawthorn will be a significantly better team next year as will Brisbane. Collingwood, Geelong and Fremantle will have improved their best 22 but it seems we're happy to stay with what we've got.
Some may argue that we can't bring in additional players due to salary cap restrictions but that problem doesn't seem to affect the forementioned clubs, particularly Geelong who seem to be able to bring in whoever they like, no matter the cost.
I agree that we really shouldn't be standing still. The problem is that it feels like it's too late to try and woo players across for 2025, and also I think Sydney's just a bit of a tough market to convince players to come across. Queensland seems to be more appealing as a destination to get away from it all, Victoria will appeal to those that want to be in the home of footy and also those that want to return to Victoria, while South Australia and Western Australia produce a surplus of players to the amount of teams they have so will have more players wanting to return home.

I also am not sure if someone would want to come to be a 20-30 level player unless they were going to struggle to get a new deal at their previous club.

Going forward though I would like the club to look at how Brisbane turned themselves into a powerhouse in convincing players to head there. The big names that went there were because:
  • Cameron - homesick
  • Daniher - wanted to leave the Melbourne bubble
  • Neale - had fallen out with his previous club and liked what Brisbane were selling
  • Dunkley - ditto
From my understanding Neale and Dunkley didn't like the lack of professionalism that their previous clubs were showing, and had also had issues with certain players. As to who examples around the league of those guys might be, I don't know but one could be Petracca. And given how the Barrett types have treated him he could also appeal as a "get the **** out of Melbourne" type. However he also seems to like his status as a budding social media influencer and unfortunately that means he likely won't leave Victoria.

This would wanna be a 2018-level draft haul if we aren't gonna trade for any talent because gee whiz I'm not sure our current list will do next year, especially if we get injuries.

It’s looking like the best draft in a decade especially for the needs we actually need.

It’s looking like the best draft in a decade especially for the needs we actually need.
My point was more that we need to actually get the picks right and ideally have a few players who can impact if called upon next year. Otherwise I'm not sure where else the list improvement is gonna come from.

My point was more that we need to actually get the picks right and ideally have a few players who can impact if called upon next year. Otherwise I'm not sure where else the list improvement is gonna come from.

Well if only we had a coach that actually plays our inside mid in Sheldrick? Could be a slight idea.

Well if only we had a coach that actually plays our inside mid in Sheldrick? Could be a slight idea.
Sure, but let's say Sheldrick replaces the outgoing Parker. That's still one less AFL-standard player on the list. So we can't just be content with what we have because what we have is arguably not enough.

Sure, but let's say Sheldrick replaces the outgoing Parker. That's still one less AFL-standard player on the list. So we can't just be content with what we have because what we have is arguably not enough.

If you took guys who have played 20
or less games our history suggests a fair few won't make it as consistent afl players. Then we have some like Francis Ladhams and even Hamling who have had some sort of career but arguably are desperation picks

If you took guys who have played 20
or less games our history suggests a fair few won't make it as consistent afl players. Then we have some like Francis Ladhams and even Hamling who have had some sort of career but arguably are desperation picks
We had a pretty good run with injuries this year, and even then there were holes or areas we were lacking in the actual best 22 itself, because the options to fill them either didn't exist or weren't really standard.

Not sure we can afford to rest on our laurels in regards to the state of the list.

I have the view it is good enough was it good enough when we were 13-3? It would help if we played Sheldrick and played Heeney, etc as the first handball mids.

I have the view it is good enough was it good enough when we were 13-3? It would help if we played Sheldrick and played Heeney, etc as the first handball mids.
You can go back and see my comments throughout our 13-3 run. I thought we were lacking in areas, mainly hardness in the mids and pressure at ground level inside 50. Nothing I saw since changed my mind and in fact only reinforced my view.

I agree that there are options to fill those holes on our list but not many, and it would only take a few injuries to expose them IMO.

You can go back and see my comments throughout our 13-3 run. I thought we were lacking in areas, mainly hardness in the mids and pressure at ground level inside 50. Nothing I saw since changed my mind and in fact only reinforced my view.

I agree that there are options to fill those holes on our list but not many, and it would only take a few injuries to expose them IMO.

Same with every side Brisbane were 0-5 with injuries, Pies horrible too. Your players 26+ in a side will always expose your depth no side has 30 plus players that are ready you do well if you have 25 ish

The side is good enough with tweaks, if we said the 23 is Adams in for Parker , the natural improvement gives us a shot.

But 4-5 injuries kill us.

Look at the Eagles 2018 lost Gaff, Nic Nat, Mckenzie, Sheppherd etc and won the flag,could we do similar.

Edit- forgot we Have Mills.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you can want more players traded in but Sydney is a hard target to attract talent. We have to rely on Academy and draft picks through the draft to build our list every year. Look at all the players linked to us this year. Thats right. No one. We can want to trade in experienced players to meet out immediate needs, but they don't exist.

So we go to the draft this year. I expect our salary cap is sort of tight having signed up the majority of the best 23. Where people expect we can land and pay for some big bodied mid that will solve all our problems constantly amazes me.

We have a team this year that made a grand final. That is better thn 16 other teams. Trying to find solutions to our problems in winning grand finals in those 16 other losing teams is silly if it is not targeted and improves our list. Those players are rare and rarer if they want to move to Sydney.

We will make the usual enquiries as to whover wants to move to Sydney that is on our target list. Very few.

So we go to the draft again. We will play the usual games trying to maximise our hand before the Draft this year.

Have I missed anything that would help us improve our list outside what I have just stated.

It is not a level playing field when players of all sorts of experience go this way and that way but rarely our way.

Frustrated supporter venting but still positive on our prospects next year.

Same with every side Brisbane were 0-5 with injuries, Pies horrible too. Your players 26+ in a side will always expose your depth no side has 30 plus players that are ready you do well if you have 25 ish
I suppose the difference being that when Brisbane copped injuries, they replaced Jarryd Lyons with the eventual Norm Smith Medallist Will Ashcroft, and they replaced Lincoln McCarthy with a guy who would kick 4 goals in a GF in Kai Lohmann, and they replaced Darcy Gardiner with one of the most underrated key defenders in the comp in Jack Payne.

Etc.

Their depth meant that they could turn their injury curses into blessings. They didn't end up winning the flag with their injured players, they won the flag with their replacements. Not sure we would be able to do that.

I think you can want more players traded in but Sydney is a hard target to attract talent. We have to rely on Academy and draft picks through the draft to build our list every year. Look at all the players linked to us this year. Thats right. No one. We can want to trade in experienced players to meet out immediate needs, but they don't exist.

So we go to the draft this year. I expect our salary cap is sort of tight having signed up the majority of the best 23. Where people expect we can land and pay for some big bodied mid that will solve all our problems constantly amazes me.

We have a team this year that made a grand final. That is better thn 16 other teams. Trying to find solutions to our problems in winning grand finals in those 16 other losing teams is silly if it is not targeted and improves our list. Those players are rare and rarer if they want to move to Sydney.

We will make the usual enquiries as to whover wants to move to Sydney that is on our target list. Very few.

So we go to the draft again. We will play the usual games trying to maximise our hand before the Draft this year.

Have I missed anything that would help us improve our list outside what I have just stated.

It is not a level playing field when players of all sorts of experience go this way and that way but rarely our way.

Frustrated supporter venting but still positive on our prospects next year.
That's OK rusty, I'm not opposed to the draft, but as I said I think it would have to be a 2018-level draft where we pick up 2 or 3 guys who if needed can play quality footy within their first year. Otherwise I do have worries about our prospects next year, particularly if injuries strike.

I don't think we are miles off.

I guess 22 , But Rampe now 35.
plus Mills and Adams we know what we get.

Ladhams adequate backup ruck

Francis could he get better

Hamling would we pick?

Wicks? has had moments.

Then we have Cleary, Sheldrick, Mitchell, Corey Warner- tried but not proven by any stretch. Can 1-2 of them play a full year if needed?

Then if we had to go further it gets even murkier, but they could all work out.

None of the above outside the 24 have shown yet they are best 22 players.

Then in the 22-24 We have quesiton marks over some like Rampes age, Tall Forwads.

It can all go really well if Cleary kicks on, Campbell steps up, the talls develop. But you can see it equally fall to shit,

But not easy to just add proven players either of course.

I guess 22 , But Rampe now 35.
plus Mills and Adams we know what we get.

Ladhams adequate backup ruck

Francis could he get better

Hamling would we pick?

Wicks? has had moments.

Then we have Cleary, Sheldrick, Mitchell, Corey Warner- tried but not proven by any stretch. Can 1-2 of them play a full year if needed?

Then if we had to go further it gets even murkier, but they could all work out.

None of the above outside the 24 have shown yet they are best 22 players.

Then in the 22-24 We have quesiton marks over some like Rampes age, Tall Forwads.

It can all go really well if Cleary kicks on, Campbell steps up, the talls develop. But you can see it equally fall to shit,

But not easy to just add proven players either of course.
Of the young players yet to establish themselves, I’m excited about Sheldrick, Cleary and Snell.

Beyond that - not so much. Green maybe, but he’s still a complete unknown.

This is a very important draft for us.

We gave a premiership defender a 3 year deal and promptly turned him into a makeshift VFL forward.

The Hamling trade has dented my confidence in our trading strategy.
Hamling was only 2, wasn't it?

Looking at our list
Uncontracted players
Francis-required. Has filled in with injuries to our first choice key defenders.
Hanily-required. We are short on quality small forwards. Wicks is serviceable but prone to doing stupid stuff. Need a quality goal sneak who applies pressure.
Konstanty-Trade/Delist. Lots of water has flowed under the bridge and he will be held accountable for that.
McAndrew-Quandary. To keep him we need to upgrade him to the primary list. That means we will need to open up another primary list spot and delist another player(Konstanty?).
Mitchell-Keep if list spot is not required. Not Shown he should be delisted but not shown he should be kept. More aggressive list managers would delist him.
Kirk-I would move on. But I think Sydney owes its Academy players hope. Keeping Kirk on the list inspires hope for future academy players. Ditto McAndrew.

We have 35 Primary list players. We could draft in 3.
We have 5 rookies. We could rookie 1 more.

I reckon there more delistings to come after the trade period. More places will open up.

SwansList.png

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back