• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For those wanting small forwards, there's a couple that might go a bit later than the ones that usually appear on the top 30 rankings. Personally I'd be going with players we already have, or a rookie pick, but if we do...

- Jasper Alger, Oakleigh, 182cm, 4th in 20m sprint, 10th in agility at combine, 18 in December (so on the younger side of the draft), rated 30-40 by Twomey in July (see below), 3 goals vs SA, 2 vs WA in champs

Nicholls (KPF) and O'Farrell (KPD) are other tall options mentioned here if our picks are in the mid 20s.

- Cody Angove, 182cm, Claremont - any info Dubai Quacker (apologies if you've already mentioned)? Looks impressive with his effort and some decent delivery (to where the player will be, even if he made the players work for it).

Angove is certainly a handy player - although I must confess, I’ve noticed Davis and Boxshall as more “standout” types.

I believe Angove is likely to be rated below Malakai Champion in the WA small forwards list this year. He’s probably going to be on the fringes of being selected - could go either way.

Angove is certainly a handy player - although I must confess, I’ve noticed Davis and Boxshall as more “standout” types.

I believe Angove is likely to be rated below Malakai Champion in the WA small forwards list this year. He’s probably going to be on the fringes of being selected - could go either way.
Fair enough. Just saw a few "later" names mentioned briefly on the PMBangers draft thread and went looking.

Thought maybe since the AFL just put out that video that he might be getting some chatter.

Not playing a few rep games next year isn't going to impact his development.

All we would be doing is advertising him for other teams to bid on.
Does his pay not depend on where he is drafted? I have no idea but surely someone drafted top 20 earns more than someone drafted at 50.
Can't see any kids holding back just so they can be picked lower.

Does his pay not depend on where he is drafted? I have no idea but surely someone drafted top 20 earns more than someone drafted at 50.
No kid should be trusting their academy team entirely. What if you're borderline, you do an ACL late and they cool off, you'd want other suitors. What if the academy team has a player in your role slip through unexpectedly earlier in the draft, or they get an unexpected offer to join from someone via trade. What if for some reason you get delisted earlier on, you'd want to have made a good impression on other clubs in your draft year.

Plus we'd want competitive beasts.

We have a terrible coach, our drafting strategy is rubbish, and we are so weak when trading in and out players. It really is a wonder how we have managed to win so many games, make finals, be minor premiers.
Key word there is 'minor'.

But yes, there's a bit of hyperbole around some of our earlier picks (re: their talent) and trading action/"inaction".

Key word there is 'minor'.

But yes, there's a bit of hyperbole around some of our earlier picks and trading action/"inaction".

Nah not so much we dont make the GF without Grundy and Jordon.

So a "inaction" is viewed as a failure to improve and as you know in this comp you always have to improve every season or you get left behind.

I eagerly await us to pick players rated in the 50s and above with both our firsts

Can see us going early with a small forward, my gut is telling me we will as we went for Garcia (unsuccessful) so we have indicated that was a need. Maybe we actually go first up for a Small Forward, then take the best tall at 20 (maybe Shanahan lasts, Whitlock, etc). Don't know which way we go but my gut feel is we take at least one small forward, may even take 2 (one being a rookie)

We have a terrible coach, our drafting strategy is rubbish, and we are so weak when trading in and out players. It really is a wonder how we have managed to win so many games, make finals, be minor premiers.
........................and lose 4 Grand Finals!

This from Jude who know's what is required in big games.
If it's OK with everyone, I'll listen to what he has to say anytime.

"Since their 2012 premiership triumph, the Swans — under coach John Longmire — have now lost four-straight grand finals by an average margin of 57 points.
Sydney 325-game premiership player Jude Bolton was none too pleased with his former club’s efforts on the game’s biggest day, criticising their lack of intensity around the ball in comparison to the hungry Lions.
“Just 33 tackles from the Swans (to three-quarter-time),” Bolton said, taking to X to voice his frustrations.
Embarrassing to let it become such an uncontested game and not have any control of the footy.
Belted at stoppages. Terrific performance from the Lions.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our shitful first round selections have been nullified by our successful late and rookie picks.

tbh i think we've all been quite happy with our selections at the time. The club seems to have always targeted the types that the consensus agrees that we need. Even when we drafted Stephens we were all quite bullish and happy that we were brining in some outside speed. Rowbum was another bolter, and he turned out alright.

If you look at a given draft class list, a good 40% are no longer on a list, and another 40% become bog average campaigners. So it's not exactly a high hit rate.

Our shitful first round selections have been nullified by our successful late and rookie picks.

tbh i think we've all been quite happy with our selections at the time. The club seems to have always targeted the types that the consensus agrees that we need. Even when we drafted Stephens we were all quite bullish and happy that we were brining in some outside speed. Rowbum was another bolter, and he turned out alright.

If you look at a given draft class list, a good 40% are no longer on a list, and another 40% become bog average campaigners. So it's not exactly a high hit rate.

There’s some selections that have been beyond weird though not going there let’s not bring up the disaster again.

That said in the last 2-3 years been really happy with our selections. Konstanty may not work out but we all understood the thinking and his type we lacked on GF day

........................and lose 4 Grand Finals!

This from Jude who know's what is required in big games.
If it's OK with everyone, I'll listen to what he has to say anytime.

"Since their 2012 premiership triumph, the Swans — under coach John Longmire — have now lost four-straight grand finals by an average margin of 57 points.
Sydney 325-game premiership player Jude Bolton was none too pleased with his former club’s efforts on the game’s biggest day, criticising their lack of intensity around the ball in comparison to the hungry Lions.
“Just 33 tackles from the Swans (to three-quarter-time),” Bolton said, taking to X to voice his frustrations.
Embarrassing to let it become such an uncontested game and not have any control of the footy.
Belted at stoppages. Terrific performance from the Lions.”

I can’t argue that the GF loss was not embarrassing. It was. So was 2022. We have also won so many high pressure prelims. It doesn’t make sense. However, reading this thread, you would assume we have won several wooden spoons given how bad people think we are at drafting, trading, and coaching.

The difference between what a draftee salary is like 10k-20k a year, depending on where they get picked. So nothing really.

And they might be more than happy to sit out the championships and a couple of talent league games if it increases their chances of staying in Sydney.

I can’t argue that the GF loss was not embarrassing. It was. So was 2022. We have also won so many high pressure prelims. It doesn’t make sense. However, reading this thread, you would assume we have won several wooden spoons given how bad people think we are at drafting, trading, and coaching.

But it's not about wooden spoons etc. No doubt that's not in our repertoire.
We win finals at the SCG, no problem, but the next step away from home, in front of a hostile crowd, needs to be addressed& those who are in charge of the player's minds have consistently failed.
So thing can't & shouldn't stay the same. Some times you need split certain players from each other in order to send a different signal to the rest of the group.
Just playing in a GF doesn't inspire this group to be at their hardest & best any more & they've all had multiple goes at it.

We know Logan isn't as hard as Ted Richards was to do his role with an ankle injury. That's a black mark for him.
We know the showboating in front of the Sydney crowd doesn't transfer across to a big game on GF day at the G from the likes of Papley & Warner.

We know that the negating players on our list fail to negate their opponents to any level required in order to allow the more attacking players to do their thing.

We know we have some big tall guys who can't take a contested mark anywhere on the ground on GF day at the G.

But we also know that a person like Horse is also too sensitive to this group of players in order to take the brutal action needed.

I say all this on the Draft & Trading thread because it is perhaps the message that we must send to our list.
Confront the 1 or 2 players consistently guilty of the above in multiple GFs & tell them the brutal truth.
hey Logan, I know we signed you up but we need to address some needs that will take us to the next step.
We are going to see if we can get value from trading you to another club.

Hey Will.........................you too.

Hey Joel or Hayden, there's one spot in the team up for grabs between you two & Ladhams. Fight over it.
3 won't go into one.................but two back ups in the reserves are handy.

Hey Matt Owies? Do you want to play finals? Welcome!

Just F K N do something Horse & co.

The common denominator in all this is you Horse. You have one year to be brutal with the list & win yourself a GF.
One year.
As a long time supporter, I don't want nice guys anymore.
Strip Mills of the Captaincy like Clarko did at Hawks with Mitchell to Hodge & give it to Heeney.

So a "inaction" is viewed as a failure to improve and as you know in this comp you always have to improve every season or you get left behind.
There's a reason "inaction" was in quotes (think air quotes).

We've been attempting to bring in quality players before Grundy and Jordon, it just hasn't worked. Some prefer not to acknowledge our circumstances, rather take a crack at the club. And I certainly have some criticisms of the types of players we've gone for at the draft (though I think other board favourite targets like Ling are overblown).

Last edited:
But it's not about wooden spoons etc. No doubt that's not in our repertoire.
We win finals at the SCG, no problem, but the next step away from home, in front of a hostile crowd, needs to be addressed& those who are in charge of the player's minds have consistently failed.
So thing can't & shouldn't stay the same. Some times you need split certain players from each other in order to send a different signal to the rest of the group.
Just playing in a GF doesn't inspire this group to be at their hardest & best any more & they've all had multiple goes at it.

We know Logan isn't as hard as Ted Richards was to do his role with an ankle injury. That's a black mark for him.
We know the showboating in front of the Sydney crowd doesn't transfer across to a big game on GF day at the G from the likes of Papley & Warner.

We know that the negating players on our list fail to negate their opponents to any level required in order to allow the more attacking players to do their thing.

We know we have some big tall guys who can't take a contested mark anywhere on the ground on GF day at the G.

But we also know that a person like Horse is also too sensitive to this group of players in order to take the brutal action needed.

I say all this on the Draft & Trading thread because it is perhaps the message that we must send to our list.
Confront the 1 or 2 players consistently guilty of the above in multiple GFs & tell them the brutal truth.
hey Logan, I know we signed you up but we need to address some needs that will take us to the next step.
We are going to see if we can get value from trading you to another club.

Hey Will.........................you too.

Hey Joel or Hayden, there's one spot in the team up for grabs between you two & Ladhams. Fight over it.
3 won't go into one.................but two back ups in the reserves are handy.

Hey Matt Owies? Do you want to play finals? Welcome!

Just F K N do something Horse & co.

The common denominator in all this is you Horse. You have one year to be brutal with the list & win yourself a GF.
One year.
As a long time supporter, I don't want nice guys anymore.
Strip Mills of the Captaincy like Clarko did at Hawks with Mitchell to Hodge & give it to Heeney.
You and Harley need to have a chat over a coffee.

Look forward to the next Larkey and Neale joining us.
or the next Goodes, Dawson, Parker, Warner

Trading is largely dependent on Salary cap space, senior opportunity and chance of success.
senior opportunity mostly revolves around fringe players - so what ever..
Chance of success - Swans have been up there competing year in year out for 20 years.
Salary cap is equal amongst clubs - I say this is Bull sh*t

Swans and Cats are pretty equal as clubs in most regards.. well managed, stability, success etc etc
Swans trade Buddy. 8 years later they have to give up Allirr to trade in a journeyman ruckman in Hickey. I watched numerous games across 2022 & 23 where every Swans player was drafted (people writing our drafting is sh*t - this fact says you're wrong)
Geelong trade Dangerfield, then trade Jeremy Cameron, then take on Bowes + p7 as a GC salary dump, now trading Bailey Smith and would take on Olivers contract if they had the draft capital to get him.

Salary cap does not play out equally, hence Swans lack of action during trade periods.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back