• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just looking at our first rounders for the last twenty years (drafts where we had a pick only). I guess we'd have to agree onwhat we consider a hit or miss. Is it picking a good player or is them staying at your club the measure of success? I'm not including Academy picks for better or worse in this.

• 2006:
    • Pick 15: Dylan O'Keefe. Miss
  • 2007:
    • Pick 11: Daniel Veszpremi - 23 games - Miss
  • 2008:
    • Pick 12: Lewis Johnston - 10 games - Miss
  • 2009:
    • Pick 6: Gary Rohan 204 games (106 for us) Hit
    • Pick 14 Lewis Jetta 216 games (127 for us) Hit
  • 2010:
    • Pick 21 Jed Lamb - 66 Games (12 for us) Miss
    • Pick 22: Dean Towers 57 Games Miss I guess but not a lot was going on in that section of this draft.
    • Pick 15: Zac Jones - 150 games (90 for us) Hit
    • Pick 11: Ollie Florent - 168 games and counting. Hit
    • Pick 21: Will Hayward - 163 games and counting. Hit
    • Pick 14: Matthew Ling - O games. Miss
    • Pick 5 Dylan Stephens - 59 Games (43 for us) Miss
    • Pick 4: Logan McDonald - 68 Games - Jury out
    • Pick 19: Angus Sheldrick - 9 Games - Jury out
    • Pick 20: Jacob Konstanty - 0 Games - Miss
    • Pick 16: Will Green - 0 Games - Jury out.
If you look through the rankings on Draftguru, there are very few of our first round picks that are judged to have been much poorer than those around them. Another thing to consider is that most of our live first rounders have been at the tail end of the first round. Five of them in the last twenty years were outside what would be the first round in a pure draft. Of our live picks inside the top ten, we've had a bad miss (Stephens), a 200 gamer, and McDonald, who looks to be on track for 150 games or more.

I guess my question is, what does a good record with these picks over this period look like? Would definitely have been great to have nailed 2019, but who's doing a great deal better when they're starting their draft in the late teens / early 20s?

When talking about first round picks lets not forget the Go Home factor when its clear they'd rather be any where else but home.

I'm sure there are some we haven't selected because of this.
Legend has it Rioli was our choice in 2007 but didn't want to shift again after he'd already moved down to Melbourne.

Just looking at our first rounders for the last twenty years (drafts where we had a pick only). I guess we'd have to agree onwhat we consider a hit or miss. Is it picking a good player or is them staying at your club the measure of success? I'm not including Academy picks for better or worse in this.

• 2006:
    • Pick 15: Dylan O'Keefe. Miss
  • 2007:
    • Pick 11: Daniel Veszpremi - 23 games - Miss
  • 2008:
    • Pick 12: Lewis Johnston - 10 games - Miss
  • 2009:
    • Pick 6: Gary Rohan 204 games (106 for us) Hit
    • Pick 14 Lewis Jetta 216 games (127 for us) Hit
  • 2010:
    • Pick 21 Jed Lamb - 66 Games (12 for us) Miss
    • Pick 22: Dean Towers 57 Games Miss I guess but not a lot was going on in that section of this draft.
    • Pick 15: Zac Jones - 150 games (90 for us) Hit
    • Pick 11: Ollie Florent - 168 games and counting. Hit
    • Pick 21: Will Hayward - 163 games and counting. Hit
    • Pick 14: Matthew Ling - O games. Miss
    • Pick 5 Dylan Stephens - 59 Games (43 for us) Miss
    • Pick 4: Logan McDonald - 68 Games - Jury out
    • Pick 19: Angus Sheldrick - 9 Games - Jury out
    • Pick 20: Jacob Konstanty - 0 Games - Miss
    • Pick 16: Will Green - 0 Games - Jury out.
If you look through the rankings on Draftguru, there are very few of our first round picks that are judged to have been much poorer than those around them. Another thing to consider is that most of our live first rounders have been at the tail end of the first round. Five of them in the last twenty years were outside what would be the first round in a pure draft. Of our live picks inside the top ten, we've had a bad miss (Stephens), a 200 gamer, and McDonald, who looks to be on track for 150 games or more.

I guess my question is, what does a good record with these picks over this period look like? Would definitely have been great to have nailed 2019, but who's doing a great deal better when they're starting their draft in the late teens / early 20s?
So looks to me that we have 2x 200 gamers coming to the club in the draft going by this record?

By my count, we haven't picked a player in the rookie draft who has played a game for us since 2018 (Wicks).

Poor drafting/development is going to catch up with us badly soon. We can't just rely on the Academy.
We've made only 4 live selections in the rookie draft in that time. The rest were senior listed players being rookied (or academy).

I'll take Grundy over persisting with a project ruck in Owens, when we already had Ladhams and McAndrew.

Magor played out of position in a time when we were on top of the ladder.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree

Especially if McDonald doesn’t make it to
Still got faith in him as a 2nd/3rd type KPF who can kick 40+ a year. He's been improving each year (only goalless five times in 2024), but we need to draft someone capable of being that number one target.

Since 2010, all Coleman Medalists have been selected in the top 13 of their respective drafts (ignoring the draft rort that Hawkins was in 2006) or have been a pre-selection/mini draft selection (Jeremy Cameron; Hogan).

Looking at our draft history, we've been risk-averse to taking talls with our first round picks - Green and McDonald are our only tall first round selections since Lewis Johnston in 2008.

I am sad Big Mac has gone. I thought him a better ruck than Ladhams. Sometimes I wonder about our coaches choices. I mean, there are a few list cloggers, like Francis & Ladhams who could be moved on. Yet we got rid of players who actually have an up side.

I hope Big Mac gets picked up & flogs our rucks first chance. I am really over our bad decision making in the draft & trade period. This depth problem should never have happened. We had opportunities to trade in good players, well within the salary cap but chose the worst option every time. Francis, Ladhams (I was never a fan & my brother is a Port man, he said he is a good ruck but is not too stacked in the top paddock), Taylor (he could have auditioned for the Michelin Man by the time we got him lol), Grey (couldn't kick a basic drop punt, missed goals from 10 metres out, in fact missed the lot on two occasions) there are more but ...

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think McAndrew was drafted about a decade too late. He had real talent in the ruck, but offered very little around the ground. I don't think you can get away with such a ruck in the modern game.

For all his faults, Ladhams is a much more dynamic player than McAndrew and I think 18 clubs would select him as a back-up ruck over McAndrew.

By my count, we haven't picked a player in the rookie draft who has played a game for us since 2018 (Wicks).

Poor drafting/development is going to catch up with us badly soon. We can't just rely on the Academy.
I think the players are not developing in the reserves. What's more we do not seem to play anywhere near the same game style. Maybe that is personnel, maybe coaching. But if you have a look at Vickery. He was pretty good initially, then last season he went backwards. Big Mac didn't develop, Green either. Konstanty was constantly injured. Sheldrick did not do as well when he came back from injury. Two great games then two ordinary. At one stage we had 3 ruck & Buller & yet Buller was rucking forward. That made no sense & we lost structure. Then he got injured.

At one stage, even though there were listed mids in the reserves, all the midfield was made up of Reserves only players. I was astounded. Several of the listed players started on the bench. How are they supposed to develop if they aren't played;

1. In position
2. Good game time.

Big Mac & Green spent lots of time bench sitting. Magor a small forward, spent his last 2 seasons at HB. Mitchell seems to play wherever there is a hole, not allowing him to get any continuity. Corey Warner was a bit player at times well. He is an outside mid generally but was playing inside.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Played most of the year (VFL or AFL), bit more versatile. You'd hope we only have Francis for 1 more year, so wouldn't be against it.

Imagine he stays in Vic, e.g. Collingwood though at this stage of his career and with only being depth.
I would hope we play younger players like Edwards this year if injury strikes and Francis is a true 'break glass' option only to be used if there are 3-4 KP injuries.
Even if he is better than the youngsters atm, playing Francis now is counter productive to getting us where we need to go.He's not going to be a solution in finals, so we need to prioritise the development over young players who might be.
If our selection committee don't understand that by now then they should all be sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back