Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They were 1 game away
2 absolute floggings away

I can’t see how they mentally come back from that

If they make it again imo they will be thinking hope it doesn’t happen again , which your have already mentally lost

By the sounds of it anyway they are happy coming 2nd so they might see it as a successful year and the GF doesn’t define the group

This group won’t win a flag unfortunately
Probably what a lot of Lions fans thought after last year's defeat to Collingwood. Brisbane had been in the mix for a number of years but couldn't get over the hump. Now it's our turn to overcome the same narrative.

We have the talent to be premiers but we have to get our mindset right to reach the next threshold. Our GF performance was symptomatic of our first quarter debacles this year so until we fix that, it's gonna keep happening.

Our forward line could use tinkering and I hope Buller and Hamling get a shot next year at least to give the current line up a good wake up call.

This year feels like a failure but our organisation is professional enough to review and reform where required.

Probably what a lot of Lions fans thought after last year's defeat to Collingwood. Brisbane had been in the mix for a number of years but couldn't get over the hump. Now it's our turn to overcome the same narrative.

We have the talent to be premiers but we have to get our mindset right to reach the next threshold. Our GF performance was symptomatic of our first quarter debacles this year so until we fix that, it's gonna keep happening.

Our forward line could use tinkering and I hope Buller and Hamling get a shot next year at least to give the current line up a good wake up call.

This year feels like a failure but our organisation is professional enough to review and reform where required.

They lost by a kick though last year so they were a shot the hole game

Are you sure the organisation is good enough to review and reform?

Are you sure the organisation is good enough to review and reform?
I think they'll look at the makeup of the midfield and forward line and move some magnets around to see if the team is better equipped to handle and respond to potential blow outs.

I hope the list management team is ruthless enough in their pursuit of a big forward that they'd be prepared to trade out some popular members of the team. Players like Florent, Papley, McDonald, Amartey all come to mind as trade bait or salary dump material.

I think there's young kids that offer a point of difference to our engine room worth promoting even if it's not in our short term interest.

I hope that Chad is utilised in a role next year that still benefits the team but prepares for potential life without him as well in the event that he asks for a trade back home. If it means he spends more minutes playing forward I'm happy with that so that Sheldrick, Cleary or Roberts have a chance to show their quality.

I think if the Swans have another down year we will shake hands with Longmire in earnest and hand the reigns to Dean Cox.

I also hope that the conversations with the AFL to increase our spending cap will allow the Swans to poach some outstanding coaching talent from some of the traditional markets over the next 18 months.

If the Swans aren't exploring some if not all of those options then we probably don't deserve a flag in the near future.

Shits me when fans say we're so talented of course we can win, like what a cop out from discussing facts. I think it's clear we were scouting KP talent for years but couldn't seal the deal.

We have three key forwards that are borderline, an undersized defence, our best player can't last the season, our captain's given everyone the shits, our talent reeks of figjam that hates the hard stuff and I don't think we have a player in the top 40 for contested marks.

Is everyone not on this page with me, what am I missing

Oh yeah, we're also a headcase now

Prove me wrong Swans

Does anyone know much about Jai Culley?

He was the the 1st pick in the mid season draft a couple of years ago.

A big bodied tall midfielder, who seems to have good hands.

West Coast dropping him is not a good endorsement, but there could be reasons other than talent perhaps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have certainly got to do something and in no small way in the off season. The stakes couldnt be higher surely for Longmire and co - the 22 and 24 swans have a smell of Greg Norman about them.

Shits me when fans say we're so talented of course we can win, like what a cop out from discussing facts. I think it's clear we were scouting KP talent for years but couldn't seal the deal.

We have three key forwards that are borderline, an undersized defence, our best player can't last the season, our captain's given everyone the shits, our talent reeks of figjam that hates the hard stuff and I don't think we have a player in the top 40 for contested marks.

Is everyone not on this page with me, what am I missing

Oh yeah, we're also a headcase now

Prove me wrong Swans
I prefer to think that we have the players to win the GF but we are not structured correctly. The selections are all wrong.
Leaving Adams out of the GF side. Contested player.
Playing Parker forward instead of at CBs and in the centre.
Mills hopefully fully fit and available in the mids if required.
We have Sheldrick. Hopefully injury free next year and gets a run at it.
We have Cleary who loves contested. Even if they just play him as a smal forward.
The harder contested players are there. Play them where they are needed.

I agree with 88. Too many outside bruise free players and not enough inside grunt played in the GF.

I think we have the players. They just need the players played in the right positions rather than trying to fit players in because they are favourites or whatever.

I'm a glass half full guy at the worst of times. If we play the ball winners where they are needed rather than favoured outside players then I still have hopes we can contend next year.

I want to see more of Sheldrick and Cleary and Mills and Adams on ball. Not McInerney and Campbell and Fox etc

I prefer to think that we have the players to win the GF but we are not structured correctly. The selections are all wrong.
Leaving Adams out of the GF side. Contested player.
Playing Parker forward instead of at CBs and in the centre.
Mills hopefully fully fit and available in the mids if required.
We have Sheldrick. Hopefully injury free next year and gets a run at it.
We have Cleary who loves contested. Even if they just play him as a smal forward.
The harder contested players are there. Play them where they are needed.

I agree with 88. Too many outside bruise free players and not enough inside grunt played in the GF.

I think we have the players. They just need the players played in the right positions rather than trying to fit players in because they are favourites or whatever.

I'm a glass half full guy at the worst of times. If we play the ball winners where they are needed rather than favoured outside players then I still have hopes we can contend next year.

I want to see more of Sheldrick and Cleary and Mills and Adams on ball. Not McInerney and Campbell and Fox etc

Why do you think we have the players? Home and away results? Do you think McCartin has the form to be our number one defender? Amartey the form to be our number one forward? Who's going to step up and intercept? Who will take chop out marks under pressure on the wing? How do we replace Rampe? Players have left and not been replaced and now this stuff goes to shit too often in big games and I just don't see the "talent".

How do they collectively stop shitting themselves?

Hope I'm wrong

Why do you think we have the players? Home and away results? Do you think McCartin has the form to be our number one defender? Amartey the form to be our number one forward? Who's going to step up and intercept? Who will take chop out marks under pressure on the wing? How do we replace Rampe? Players have left and not been replaced and now this stuff goes to shit too often in big games and I just don't see the "talent".

How do they collectively stop shitting themselves?

Hope I'm wrong
I see the frustration in your post. Every year some teams come from nowhere and surprise you. This could still be us too.

I will answer your questions and then make comment. I know your questions are not exhaustive. I also know you are still angry and I understand that too. Like I said in my previous post. I am a glass half full person at the worst of times.
McCartin can indeed be our number 1 defender.
Amartey did kick 9 goals in one game this year. I know our three KPFs had an average year as a unit. Amartey apparently had his first full preseason at the start of this year. Hopefully he has another and can improve again.
McDonald has the ability to get up the ground. He is a KPF who can cover a lot of distance and take those chop out marks.
How do we replace Rampe? Impossible. But sometimes you can't. He may play every game next year so it may not be an issue next year. When he does leave he will create a hole in the team. I agree. Fox is a very very very poor man's Rampe. That is all I can think of.

My glass half full stuff. I know you are still raw so I hope my hopefulness does not offend.
The mids are still improving.
We have contested mids like Mills, Adams, Sheldrick and Cleary that did not play in the GF. All will feature I hope more prominently next year.
We were good enough to make a GF. You don't lose talent.
We did not bring in established players because we endeavored to sign up the majority of players we have. I know this grates on supporters like you who would want to see more change after the GF debacle. List spots are pretty tight.

I am still hopeful. Sometimes a few subtle changes can dramatically change a side. We were not totally disgraceful through the home and away finishing first.

I do not have the answers for our GF performance except to say I think we needed to play more contested players to get more first use of the ball. The Swans may uncover other reasons. I think they will be stung into action to rectify things as they see it.

I know a lot on here are not as positive as I am. But that is just the way I am. I always try to see the positive way forward.

Since the improvement has to come from within, who out of the players we have currently will be able to go up another level next year?

Only ones I can see going on natural trajectory are McDonald, Roberts and maybe Mcinerney.

Since the improvement has to come from within, who out of the players we have currently will be able to go up another level next year?

Only ones I can see going on natural trajectory are McDonald, Roberts and maybe Mcinerney.
Sheldrick, Cleary, Amartey, Campbell, Snell, Warner, JJ, Gulden, Mills (on his limited 2024 form).

By my count, we haven't picked a player in the rookie draft who has played a game for us since 2018 (Wicks).

Poor drafting/development is going to catch up with us badly soon. We can't just rely on the Academy.
I've posted before but Daleymples time with us was actually very poor. He was rated so highly when he came in but overall I feel we went worse

I don't think Heeney becoming an A+ on baller was on the radar at the start of the season.

I can't really predict who that will be to make the big jump in 2025 but let's hope there are a few who will make a big improvement.

Does anyone know much about Jai Culley?

He was the the 1st pick in the mid season draft a couple of years ago.

A big bodied tall midfielder, who seems to have good hands.

West Coast dropping him is not a good endorsement, but there could be reasons other than talent perhaps?
His body is just made from tissue paper. Talented and falls apart is ultimately why they gave up

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back