• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I see the frustration in your post. Every year some teams come from nowhere and surprise you. This could still be us too.

I will answer your questions and then make comment. I know your questions are not exhaustive. I also know you are still angry and I understand that too. Like I said in my previous post. I am a glass half full person at the worst of times.
McCartin can indeed be our number 1 defender.
Amartey did kick 9 goals in one game this year. I know our three KPFs had an average year as a unit. Amartey apparently had his first full preseason at the start of this year. Hopefully he has another and can improve again.
McDonald has the ability to get up the ground. He is a KPF who can cover a lot of distance and take those chop out marks.
How do we replace Rampe? Impossible. But sometimes you can't. He may play every game next year so it may not be an issue next year. When he does leave he will create a hole in the team. I agree. Fox is a very very very poor man's Rampe. That is all I can think of.

My glass half full stuff. I know you are still raw so I hope my hopefulness does not offend.
The mids are still improving.
We have contested mids like Mills, Adams, Sheldrick and Cleary that did not play in the GF. All will feature I hope more prominently next year.
We were good enough to make a GF. You don't lose talent.
We did not bring in established players because we endeavored to sign up the majority of players we have. I know this grates on supporters like you who would want to see more change after the GF debacle. List spots are pretty tight.

I am still hopeful. Sometimes a few subtle changes can dramatically change a side. We were not totally disgraceful through the home and away finishing first.

I do not have the answers for our GF performance except to say I think we needed to play more contested players to get more first use of the ball. The Swans may uncover other reasons. I think they will be stung into action to rectify things as they see it.

I know a lot on here are not as positive as I am. But that is just the way I am. I always try to see the positive way forward.

Love it Rusty

Not too angry about the result if I'm honest. Little bit liberating in some ways. Will continue to watch less.

Important to realise it's entertainment

But I think there's some list realities people don't want to admit and just love the boys and the highlight clips

Fingers crossed

Since the improvement has to come from within, who out of the players we have currently will be able to go up another level next year?

Only ones I can see going on natural trajectory are McDonald, Roberts and maybe Mcinerney.
Hanily from VFL to fringe 22
Cleary from fringe 22 into the best 22
Campbell from fringe 22 into best 22
Sheldrick from fring 22 into best 22
Roberts from best 22 into best 10 (like his last 5 of the regular season)
James Jordon returning to the form of first 10 weeks
Snell or Edwards to get some games in the AFL

If you think this list profile is bad then i can tell you would hate to be fans of pretty much any other list than probably North or Hawks thats how well balanced age wise and experience wise it is.

Love it Rusty

Not too angry about the result if I'm honest. Little bit liberating in some ways. Will continue to watch less.

Important to realise it's entertainment

But I think there's some list realities people don't want to admit and just love the boys and the highlight clips

Fingers crossed
I know it is frustrating that after such a pathetic performance in the GF, the Swans did little to change the side.
People want coaches sacked, players like Warner traded to maximise picks. How can this even be contemplated let alone done amazes me.
Captain sacked even though hedid not play in the GF.

But I understand the anger.

List spots and salary are tight. You can't just sign up Stringer and Barrass. Some don't want to come. Some we cannot afford. Some are clowns etc.

The Swans have a long term view of staying relevant in the Sydney market. To obtain the sponsorships we have we need to be successful. EVERY YEAR. We need a long term approach for this. Signing Stringers and winning trade periods like Essendon id not the recipe for long term sustainable success.

Yes we stuffed up another GF. It is so disappointing.

But I would rather be a Swans supporter than Essendon, St Kilda, North, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Fremantle, Port, etc. These clubs would love to just make the eight occasionally.

Swans fans can be spoilt little bitches the way they want to throw all the toys out of the cot after making another GF.

First world problems.

Be happy your team made another GF. 16 other teams didn't.

Yes we have work to do to fix whatever it is that makes us shit the bed in the most important game of the year.

Being positive and knowing we are still close is my way of thinking.

Since the improvement has to come from within, who out of the players we have currently will be able to go up another level next year?

Only ones I can see going on natural trajectory are McDonald, Roberts and maybe Mcinerney.
Amartey has improvement in him with another preseason. I reckon JJ can play a more positive role.
Youngsters not in the team will almost certainly improve though to what level we can't know.

Campbell and McDonald are the worries for me

Both were very high picks and are treading water

Inconsistent and really just a fact don’t do enough for top 5 picks
Sadly for us it wasn’t a great vintage which is just the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately.

Campbell got top 10 billing because of his day out in the futures game before COVID wiped out most of the next season.

Campbell was probably more in the teens range which can be very hit and miss at the best of times. Although, you could argue the Swans have stifled his development somewhat by throwing him around so much.

Logan was one of the best talls in a draft that didn’t boast many. It was the right choice at the time.

I still think both can develop into quality players but they’re definitely not generational talents in the slightest.

DGB just got delisted from Hawthorn and most of our posters were big fans of him leading into that year’s draft before North surprised everyone by taking Phillips - another who has yet to set the world on fire.

Last edited:
Some very big Debbie downers in this thread. Just because we lost the GF doesn't mean we are shot. You would be surprised how much a 1% difference in something can have a massive flow on effect. I personally have said countless time that 1% change is a forward line restructure and the involvement of Cleary and Sheldrick in 2025. Thats pretty much it

I know it is frustrating that after such a pathetic performance in the GF, the Swans did little to change the side.
People want coaches sacked, players like Warner traded to maximise picks. How can this even be contemplated let alone done amazes me.
Captain sacked even though hedid not play in the GF.

But I understand the anger.

List spots and salary are tight. You can't just sign up Stringer and Barrass. Some don't want to come. Some we cannot afford. Some are clowns etc.

The Swans have a long term view of staying relevant in the Sydney market. To obtain the sponsorships we have we need to be successful. EVERY YEAR. We need a long term approach for this. Signing Stringers and winning trade periods like Essendon id not the recipe for long term sustainable success.

Yes we stuffed up another GF. It is so disappointing.

But I would rather be a Swans supporter than Essendon, St Kilda, North, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Fremantle, Port, etc. These clubs would love to just make the eight occasionally.

Swans fans can be spoilt little bitches the way they want to throw all the toys out of the cot after making another GF.

First world problems.

Be happy your team made another GF. 16 other teams didn't.

Yes we have work to do to fix whatever it is that makes us shit the bed in the most important game of the year.

Being positive and knowing we are still close is my way of thinking.

Yes, it's a fine club

But we are in a cluster f of being remembered as a generation of almost lol

Is being built to just play finals the right approach? Where actually is the list at? Do we actually trust our list approach?

Much more relevant than saying we have the talent sack the coaches or we have the talent smile

Yes, it's a fine club

But we are in a cluster f of being remembered as a generation of almost lol

Is being built to just play finals the right approach? Where actually is the list at? Do we actually trust our list approach?

Much more relevant than saying we have the talent sack the coaches or we have the talent smile
Yep.

This is the most talented Swans list I have ever seen. Making it successful and justifying that talent by winning GFs is the goal. Losing 4 GFs out of 5 is ...........I have no words.

The solution or solutions I'm not sure of. But I think it starts in the mids.

I am a solution man by trade. Most jobs in my career have been in business critical systems before I moved into education. Imagine working in the biggest stockbrking firm in Australia and the computer system crashes. Then everyone looks at me to fix it. They want to know when, what, how long. Millionaire traders can't see stuff. They have clients on the phone. This is the environment I grew up in. I learnt to tell even senior people in the organisation to quietly f**k off. I was so intent on getting the system back working that I had no time for meetings and briefings. That can come later. I remained calm in the storm.

This Swans team to me is similar. It should work. But it crashes at critical moments and you can't put your finger on why.
We need to remain calm. There are quality people at the Swans. You can't see what they are doing so it seems they are not doing anything. But I reckon that is not the case.

Getting angry uses up energy and is counterproductive. Remaining calm in the storm and thinking about solutions and implementing them is the way forward. I am sure the Swans are leaving no stone unturned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably what a lot of Lions fans thought after last year's defeat to Collingwood. Brisbane had been in the mix for a number of years but couldn't get over the hump. Now it's our turn to overcome the same narrative.

We have the talent to be premiers but we have to get our mindset right to reach the next threshold. Our GF performance was symptomatic of our first quarter debacles this year so until we fix that, it's gonna keep happening.

Our forward line could use tinkering and I hope Buller and Hamling get a shot next year at least to give the current line up a good wake up call.

This year feels like a failure but our organisation is professional enough to review and reform where required.
Good post , but if we need Hambling we are stuffed

Shits me when fans say we're so talented of course we can win, like what a cop out from discussing facts. I think it's clear we were scouting KP talent for years but couldn't seal the deal.

We have three key forwards that are borderline, an undersized defence, our best player can't last the season, our captain's given everyone the shits, our talent reeks of figjam that hates the hard stuff and I don't think we have a player in the top 40 for contested marks.

Is everyone not on this page with me, what am I missing

Oh yeah, we're also a headcase now

Prove me wrong Swans
How is our defenCe undersized ?

Yep.

This is the most talented Swans list I have ever seen. Making it successful and justifying that talent by winning GFs is the goal. Losing 4 GFs out of 5 is ...........I have no words.

I am a solution man by trade. Most jobs in my career have been in business critical systems before I moved into education. Imagine working in the biggest stockbrking firm in Australia and the computer system crashes. Then everyone looks at me to fix it. They want to know when, what, how long. Millionaire traders can't see stuff. They have clients on the phone. This is the environment I grew up in. I learnt to tell even senior people in the organisation to quietly f**k off. I was so intent on getting the system back working that I had no time for meetings and briefings. That can come later. I remained calm in the storm.

This Swans team to me is similar. It should work. But it crashes at critical moments and you can't put your finger on why.
We need to remain calm. There are quality people at the Swans. You can't see what they are doing so it seems they are not doing anything. But I reckon that is not the case.

Getting angry uses up energy and is counterproductive. Remaining calm in the storm and thinking about solutions and implementing them is the way forward. I am sure the Swans are leaving no stone unturned.

Well, I'm convinced!

All the best, Rusty

I don't know why we always put such limitations on how and when a player can improve.

Heeney just went from good but incredibly frustrating player who didn't even finish top 10 in the B&F to winning the thing after the best season of his career and being one of the best players in the comp.... at age 28... with one simple coaching move.

As long as we are constantly looking to maximise our players potential, they can get better no matter where they are at in their careers.

Do I trust that our coaches will always do that, no I do not.

Well, I'm convinced!

All the best, Rusty
I have done my best Dan to answer, offer advice, offer hope. explain. etc etc. I think you are a high quality thoughtful, inciteful poster so I spent some time responding to your posts.

I don't have the answers. I am not at the coalface.

You could do worse and grow up as a St Kilda supporter. :p

There's really not enough time to pull off anything major in trade week as a dramatic response to a GF drubbing.

Any prospective recruit that the club might have in mind is probably already off overseas and unlikely to be interested in a last-minute offer to move interstate.

You could argue that the club should have been more prepared, but we also spent the vast majority of the season as the best team in the comp, and if we'd won the GF, this thread would have been all about making sure we keep the players we have rather than bringing in anyone new.

If the fallout from the GF was going to prompt a major response, it was always more likely to be next year than this year.

I have done my best Dan to answer, offer advice, offer hope. explain. etc etc. I think you are a high quality thoughtful, inciteful poster so I spent some time responding to your posts.

It was a genuine post mate.

Good to be reminded of the sunny side

Yep.

My sentiments exactly.

I don't know why we always put such limitations on how and when a player can improve.

Heeney just went from good but incredibly frustrating player who didn't even finish top 10 in the B&F to winning the thing after the best season of his career and being one of the best players in the comp.... at age 28... with one simple coaching move.

As long as we are constantly looking to maximise our players potential, they can get better no matter where they are at in their careers.

Do I trust that our coaches will always do that, no I do not.
I think Heeney's improvement came a fair bit from Grundy's presence too. From there his confidence grew but his best performance was in the first part, then late. Plus Rowbottom.

Please who would want that

I think Heeney's improvement came a fair bit from Grundy's presence too. From there his confidence grew but his best performance was in the first part, then late. Plus Rowbottom.
No doubt, but I think that's true of pretty much any player. Their performance will always depend on other players and variables to a degree.

But key to unlocking Heeney was the coaches, right at the beginning of the pre-season, asking the simple question of, "What if?"

They should try it more!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back