• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ultimately, we have to make North’s pick count to alleviate any of the concern. We spent $350K of cap space for a second round pick so clearly Kinnear values the depth in this draft or has plans to keep dealing on draft night, potentially for next year’s draft?
Or just maybe we've alleviated some cap space for a completely different reason. Presuming that we've spent that purely because of the draft pick it is linked to is basic af thinking.

And still seeing it as 350k spent is braindead. That 350k is just the leftover unpaid sum of his actual value across the last couple of seasons.

Or just maybe we've alleviated some cap space for a completely different reason. Presuming that we've spent that purely because of the draft pick it is linked to is basic af thinking.

And still seeing it as 350k spent is braindead. That 350k is just the leftover unpaid sum of his actual value across the last couple of seasons.
No need to be overly polite, tell him what you really think. :tearsofjoy:

There may not be with the multiple picks teams have a week ago I’d have agreed.
If you're only looking at the top 20-25 picks in various media rankings maybe, but there's KPFs, medium forwards etc that will still be around at ours.

GWS, Saints, Dogs aren't likely to be grabbing KPFs for example. Maybe 1 for the Saints. Sure Richmond might grab 2. There's at least 5 or 6 in the top 30. Several more in the next 10 or so.

If you're only looking at the top 20-25 picks in various media rankings maybe, but there's KPFs, medium forwards etc that will still be around at ours.

GWS, Saints, Dogs aren't likely to be grabbing KPFs for example. Maybe 1 for the Saints. Sure Richmond might grab 2. There's at least 5 or 6 in the top 30. Several more in the next 10 or so.

See I don’t really want a medium forward so not really wanting one of those. There are some key forwards and if one is there at our first I’d keep it very annoying we are out often range for Armstrong though. If there’s a key available at pick 20/21 whatever it ends up take the key forward then get the small forward at the next.

Best needs based at 44 maybe a lockdown defender or an inside

See I don’t really want a medium forward so not really wanting one of those. There are some key forwards and if one is there at our first I’d keep it very annoying we are out often range for Armstrong though. If there’s a key available at pick 20/21 whatever it ends up take the key forward then get the small forward at the next.

Best needs based at 44 maybe a lockdown defender or an inside
We have 1 medium forward in Hayward unless we move Heeney back to the fwd line.

We have about 7 or 8 players that are or can play as small forwards.

If we want the coaches to move away from 3 KPFs, we need another medium imo.

Inside mid at our 3rd sure, there's a bunch that might be available or we could try and move up a few e.g. Luke Kennedy, Jack Ough, Cody Anderson, Kade Herbert, Hugh Boxshall, mature agers like Murphy, Brew.

Inside mid at our 3rd sure, there's a bunch that might be available or we could try and move up a few e.g. Luke Kennedy, Jack Ough, Cody Anderson, Kade Herbert, Hugh Boxshall, mature agers like Murphy, Brew.

Name the small forwards and don’t say Campbell or Wicks please. We played ONE in a grand final you need double that at least just traded one too. Would be one of my number 1 target areas happy enough to take our first straight up on one.

Name the small forwards and don’t say Campbell or Wicks please. We played ONE in a grand final you need double that at least just traded one too. Would be one of my number 1 target areas happy enough to take our first straight up on one.
Campbell
Wicks
Papley
Cleary
Florent
Corey W
Hanily
Chad should move to half forward

People will compare to Lions but of their 4 small forwards, 1 of them was an inside mid (Bailey) and 1 was a wing/HF (Ah Chee).

Campbell
Wicks
Papley
Cleary
Florent
Corey W
Hanily
Chad should move to half forward

People will compare to Lions but of their 4 small forwards, 1 of them was an inside mid (Bailey) and 1 was a wing/HF (Ah Chee).

You have named a grand total of 2 and that includes Hanily who hasn't played a game (don't get me started he should have last year). Cleary might start forward but he's a mid. Corey and Wicks won't cut it, maybe one for absolute depth but that's it, the rest aren't true small forwards.

That’s why I believe we should move Blakey forward in exchange for amartey .

It means Logan can play his more natural role as a lead up ff

We still have plenty of height with Blakey and he also provides elite speed. No reason he couldn’t play a Jeremy Cameron type role of pushing up then rolling back.

The setup could be

Hayward Blakey Cleary

Papley McDonald McLean

Clearys long term future is that of a mid but right now he can probably provide the most defensive pressure up forward.

Right now Blakey’s height and speed is used to plug any holes . He can play on any sized forward, it suits us but doesn’t give the oppo much to think about . Playing him forward forces the opposition to change their structures and find a match up for him. When he takes off up ground it will cause chaos for teams as they try to make handovers for him. I know he played forward before but he was a kid, he’s now an all Australian footballer with a mature * body and 100 games of experience under his belt

Parker was best 22 and we haven't replaced him. Unless we bring anyone in we will be worse off next season than we were this year.

If we are to improve it needs to be from the likes of Campbell, Sheldrick, Corey Warner, Mitchell. Someone just on the cusp
If we're being honest Paker wasn't best 22. He kicked 3 in the GF, but I think it became clear he was going to keep playing no matter what form he was in. Love the guy, but his relationship with Horse and past performance got him a gig.

You have named a grand total of 2 and that includes Hanily who hasn't played a game (don't get me started he should have last year). Cleary might start forward but he's a mid. Corey and Wicks won't cut it, maybe one for absolute depth but that's it, the rest aren't true small forwards.
I named 7 or 8.

I mean I pre-answered your point in my post that you replied to, but you've ignored it.

People are flustered about small forwards, rightly so, but particularly in light of the grand final.

As I have said, of the 4 "small forwards" that Brisbane had, only 2 were small forwards originally and Lohmann is all of 1cm shorter than Hayward. Bailey was a mid like Cleary, Ah Chee was an outside mid/wing/half forward like Campbell.

You can say they won't cut it, but it's not based on anything, because we've barely tried them (Wicks aside).

Corey and Cleary were stiff to be dropped from our forward line this year.

So in a debate over priorities, I'm going with positions/roles where we have few options that are ready for senior footy or will definitely be needed in a few years, as opposed to a position/role where we have options that are playing or ready for senior footy, but just haven't been tried there much or at all.

I named 7 or 8.

I mean I pre-answered your point in my post that you replied to, but you've ignored it.

People are flustered about small forwards, rightly so, but particularly in light of the grand final.

As I have said, of the 4 "small forwards" that Brisbane had, only 2 were small forwards originally and Lohmann is all of 1cm shorter than Hayward. Bailey was a mid like Cleary, Ah Chee was an outside mid/wing/half forward like Campbell.

You can say they won't cut it, but it's not based on anything, because we've barely tried them (Wicks aside).

So in a debate over priorities, I'm going with positions/roles where we have few options that are ready for senior footy or will definitely be needed in a few years, as opposed to a position/role where we have options that are playing or ready for senior footy, but just haven't been tried there much or at all.

You named 2 and a bunch of players that don't even play in the forward line, small forwards are critical. We literally have seen Lohmann be second best on ground this year after Bobby Hill won the NS medal the year prior, they are becoming so crucial, and we have ONE small in our lineup, it's not enough even 2 isn't enough.

Cleary shouldn't have been dropped I agree there but we had to fit in the injured blokes for Horse, that is on the coach. Corey is depth we all know that.

I named 7 or 8.

We have to go with a medium forward sometime soon whether that be a more marking taller medium to move away from the 3 KPFs or a smaller Hayward type just to get some depth there, just will be interesting where we grab one at. Just because we don't have quality at the small forward position yet but we have alot of quantity of players imo means we shouldn't be looking there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ESPN mock draft has us taking Jack Whitlock & Hamish Davis

Obviously we expect some pick movement like North's 2 for 6 and 11 or something along those lines

I named 7 or 8.

Some of it is the Lions players have the talent, but a lot of what we're missing out on here is that the Lions' structure and coaching plays a massive part. The likes of Ah Chee is a major plus as a forward because a) the plan is there for his role and b) he plays the role well.

Maybe the Swans have a) so b) isn't relevant any way. Could, as you mention, Campbell, Cleary, Wicks and co form the forward line that isn't just part of a terrific scoring team, but they add something to the midfield power and thus impacting more on the scoreboard.

Baileys dad BTW was a ripping talent everywhere on the ground, but particularly forward. Just smart as hell. Zac could play anywhere on the ground right now. Just a beast of a talent.

You named 2 and a bunch of players that don't even play in the forward line, small forwards are critical. We literally have seen Lohmann be second best on ground this year after Bobby Hill won the NS medal the year prior, they are becoming so crucial, and we have ONE small in our lineup, it's not enough even 2 isn't enough.

Cleary shouldn't have been dropped I agree there but we had to fit in the injured blokes for Horse, that is on the coach. Corey is depth we all know that.
Ok, keep ignoring my points and re-stating the same stuff. No point continuing.

I'm not claiming that we shouldn't play an additional small, so not sure what your point is.

Our coach just needs to play some of the options we already have, having dropped or re-positioning a couple of promising options this year already, rather than spending a first rounder on yet another option that could well sit in the VFL for 2 years before delisting, while we fail to address other areas we don't have ANY depth in.

Ok, keep ignoring my points and re-stating the same stuff. No point continuing.

I'm not claiming that we shouldn't play an additional small, so not sure what your point is.

Our coach just needs to play some of the options we already have, having dropped or re-positioning a couple of promising options this year already, rather than spending a first rounder on yet another option that could well sit in the VFL for 2 years before delisting, while we fail to address other areas we don't have ANY depth in.

Rather draft a better one who is likely much better than Wicks or Corey Warner at least. Campbell has some traits there sure but he needs a right foot to play there!

Hanily and Cleary straight in next year. Then the draftee is first in line all things being equal, if Carlton can play Moir in games in his first year we can too. Horse is way too conservative in this area always has been

It would not surprise me if we went that way.

Young key forward with one of our early picks. We have only got 4 tall forwards on our list. And we were willing to draft Green/Snell last year so still willing to look to long term needs.

Small/medium forward with the other early pick. There seems a lot of that type of player in our range. In the finals series, it felt like it was not just lacking smaller pressure forwards. But we relied a lot on Papley/Hayward for attacking creativity in our forward line. In the short term I can see us pushing Campbell or Florent upfield.

If we are talking to guys like Luke Kennedy or other inside mids. Maybe we are looking at picking up a contested inside mid with a later pick or in the rookie draft. Even with Sheldrick and Cleary as young mids. It is always good to have midfield depth. And we still have issues in that area.
100% this. Only a question of who is best (for us) of those left on the board at our picks.

Rather draft a better one who is likely much better than Wicks or Corey Warner at least. Campbell has some traits there sure but he needs a right foot to play there!

Hanily and Cleary straight in next year. Then the draftee is first in line all things being equal, if Carlton can play Moir in games in his first year we can too. Horse is way too conservative in this area always has been
I'd rather us actually see if any of our options can play there for more than a couple of weeks, before spending a first rounder.

Anyway, yes, we agree, get some additional small forward(s) into the 22 somehow.

Personally I'm hoping for 2 KPFs, 2 mediums (Hayward and Chad) and 3 smalls (Papley, Campbell, Cleary at this point) in our 22 for next year, with another taller medium drafted. If the smalls don't work out, give Corey another go or play Hanily if in form. This is all assuming Wicks doesn't find some consistency. Then look at drafting another next year, or just use a rookie/3rd pick.

I'd rather us actually see if any of our options can play there for more than a couple of weeks, before spending a first rounder.

Anyway, yes, we agree, get some additional small forward(s) into the 22 somehow.

Personally I'm hoping for 2 KPFs, 2 mediums (Hayward and Chad) and 3 smalls (Papley, Campbell, Cleary at this point) in our 22 for next year, with another taller medium drafted. If the smalls don't work out, give Corey another go or play Hanily if in form. This is all assuming Wicks doesn't find some consistency. Then look at drafting another next year, or just use a rookie/3rd pick.

Each other own we won’t agree on this I am taking the small forward this year and getting rid of at least one of Corey/Wicks after next year hopefully whoever performs best we keep as backup.

Logan as the centrepiece forward then one of Amartey/McClean. The rest smalls/mediums, Paps/Hayward are two of those. We are way too slow and tall

ESPN Tauru at pick 2!

Far out can't have nice things

North are mad keen on him. They don’t need another mid either and the trade everyone is saying with Rich (6 and 10/18) they may miss him. It may be fractionally early but let’s be real here North can

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back