• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 23 30.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd try to summarise info I'd seen over the past few months re. Swans/draft:

- We're only likely to have three ND picks - is this still the case with Parks and Konstanty gone?

- KB said on Gettable that he'd been to see the Whitlocks at Murray vs Sandy game

- According to The Age (back in May), we'd interviewed Noah Mraz

- We've also interviewed Harry Armstrong, but seems now out of our range

- Have interviewed Luke Kennedy

- Charlie McCartin - not sure where that situation sits?

- KB keen on Tom Murphy, but might not be available; KB also keen on Jack Henderson from Werribee

Does anyone else get the sense that we were a little too trigger happy locking away players to long-term contracts, possibly on slightly inflated salaries given we were flying at the time we were announcing our re-signings? Only for the players to ultimately get shown up in the GF.

Given we were inactive over the trade period and offloaded Parker and konstanty. We are either stacking salary cap to pay Chad a kings random at the end of next year or have a trade target in mind.

I just feel as though we FOMO'd when stocks were at their peak and may have overvalued the players we currently have.
I don't disagree (though I don't know that I agree whole-heartedly, either. It's hard to know without knowing what we gave the players to keep them.)

At the time a lot of people were saying that Florent, Hayward & McDonald were "essential" and "must-keeps" (to be fair, I was saying that about McDonald, if only because of his relative youth and our dearth of key forwards.) But if we are paying them anything beyond an average salary then we are massively overpaying.

I understand player retention has been an issue for us over the years and so it is now somewhat of a priority, but hopefully that does not distract us from the harsh reality that in some cases players aren't worth retaining.

Thought I'd try to summarise info I'd seen over the past few months re. Swans/draft:

- We're only likely to have three ND picks - is this still the case with Parks and Konstanty gone?

- KB said on Gettable that he'd been to see the Whitlocks at Murray vs Sandy game

- KB keen on Tom Murphy, but might not be available; KB also keen on Jack Henderson from Werribee
When KB went to watch the Whitlock's than when he discovered LK.
McCartin will probably go before we can get him according to his manager.
Henderson he only watched thanks to Paul Amy on the way into the VFL GF
I reckon , 2 talls and then a LK type and a McCartin/Henderson smokey

I find it interesting that Aaron Francis is apparently still without a contract for next season.

It may be we simply can't agree terms, but I wonder if we have our eye on a potential DFA and that is the hold up?

According to SEN players still uncontracted at other clubs;

Coll; Ned Long, Reef McInnes
Freo; Tom Emmett, Odin Jones, Max Knobel
Geel; Patrick Dangerfield, Mitch Duncan, Rhys Stanley (I assume all 3 will re-contracted).
GWS; Josh Fahey
Haw; Josh Bennetts
Melb; Marty Hore
North; Cooper Harvey, Charlie Lazzaro, Blake Drury
Port; Logan Evans
Rich; Kamdyn McIntosh, Mate Colina (to be re-listed after the draft), Thomson Dow
St K; Ben Paton, Jack Hayes, Tim Membrey, Olli Hotton
WCE; Luke Edwards

Hardly a stellar bunch (and obviously excludes players already delisted).

Full list (incl delisted players);

Ben Paton could be brought in as a lockdown small and Lazzaro has impressed me when I've seen him at AFL/VFL level.
(I'm not really expecting others to agree with me on the latter).

FWIW DFA period commences 1 November.

EDIT; And as I was typing Lazzaro has just been delisted.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that Aaron Francis is apparently still without a contract for next season.

It may be we simply can't agree terms, but I wonder if we have our eye on a potential DFA and that is the hold up?

Geel; Patrick Dangerfield, Mitch Duncan, Rhys Stanley (I assume all 3 will re-contracted).
GWS; Josh Fahey
Haw; Josh Bennetts
Melb; Marty Hore
Port; Logan Evans
Rich; Kamdyn McIntosh, Mate Colina (to be re-listed after the draft), Thomson Dow
WCE; Luke Edwards

Ben Paton could be brought in as a lockdown small and Lazzaro has impressed me when I've seen him at AFL/VFL level.

Am I going mad or was it not announced somewhere that Francis was staying next year?

You've never , but others might

Let’s just hope it’s not a certain disaster we swung for in the first round in 2017 lol

Not so concerned taking punts in the 40’s though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My draft update

As always, I look at things from a list perspective.

SwansList.png

Just having a look at the list.
I have put in our prospective academy players in purple with a 25. Those we get next year as academy players.
I have put in what I think we will draft.
We are short in the forwards. KPF, small and mid sized. I reckon this is the key area we will target but we always take mids. Mids then go back and forward. The Swans way.

Bearing in mind the 3 prospective players coming in from the academy, what list spots are vacant.

So I reckon we go a small forward and KPF with our first two picks. I can see us going Datolli. We delisted Konstanty who was a pick in the first round so clearly an area we need to bolster. I know we brought in Hanily but both he and Wicks are sort of on notice to improve. Wicks on his day is great. On his day. Hanily has been here 5 minutes. We need a player now. So I reckon our first is Datolli.

KPF there are a few probably available at our pick. Faull the Whitlocks. I dunno. But we do need KPF depth going forward. Our Current 3 talls plus Buller are not tearing the house down.

We could do a medium forward too but I reckon we don't. Our excess mids can rest there.

If we miss out on a preferred small or KPF I reckon we go inside mid. Kennedy has been mentioned. Adams won't be around long. Some on the list who are inside have questions. So this is an option.

We probably pick up Cochrane late as a KPD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why we shit the bed update

Looking at the list from a Harry Hindsight view, looking in the rear view mirror. Having digested much of the brilliance of the forum, the disappointment of the grand final, the many views as to why we shit the bed in the GF. I take a sober look at the list. This will always be my primary source of objective opinion of what is missing and what we need to win a GF.

The problem is usually in the mids. They play everywhere. In the midfield, in defence and in the forwards.
I am not blaming Roberts. He has played well. But he forced Lloyd into the midfield because Lloyd is Lloyd. You can't drop Lloyd. Well Lloyd going into the midfield added another 'outside' mid along with McInerney, Campbell, Warner, JJ, Gulden.
Our Inside mids, truly inside mids were Rowy and Heeney.
We had Adams on the sideline, Mills not considered due to fitness/injury, Sheldrick probably no recent AFL experience and Cleary too inexperienced. We could have done with Adams first. Mills was rusty so I understnd them leaving him out. Sheldrick was sitting on the fence too long and had a bad case of splinters. Cleary clearly too inexperienced. Obviously.

Conclusion.

Our mix of mids had few ball winners. What did we do in the GF/ We did not win the ball. But we have ball winners in the team that can do the job.

I think the mids are there but the mix of mids is maybe the problem.

GWS; Josh Fahey
Haw; Josh Bennetts
Melb; Marty Hore
Port; Logan Evans
WCE; Luke Edwards

Full list (incl delisted players);

McIntosh staying , Membrey , Pies

Not so sure about the 3 ND picks. Maybe Cochran slips through to the rookie draft. I think he's still worth taking. I get a bit lost with how many spots we have available but robbieando shows 3 senior and 3 cat A, no cat B. If we delisted a senior and rerookied him we would have 4 and 2, enough to take 4 ND if we wanted to and have 2 cat A spots left. The only person that would work with would be Francis though some say he has been extended. Not according to robbieando . Alternatively, we could trade one pick into next year.

Does anyone else get the sense that we were a little too trigger happy locking away players to long-term contracts, possibly on slightly inflated salaries given we were flying at the time we were announcing our re-signings? Only for the players to ultimately get shown up in the GF.

Given we were inactive over the trade period and offloaded Parker and konstanty. We are either stacking salary cap to pay Chad a kings random at the end of next year or have a trade target in mind.

I just feel as though we FOMO'd when stocks were at their peak and may have overvalued the players we currently have.

Who in the trade period was worth chasing and possibly keen on coming to Sydney?

There was a lack of quality in this years trade period. Houston was Melbourne bound but open to which club. Outside of that WA players went home and Rioli to the Gold Coast.

If we let players leave it could have been for draft picks. Seems like a backwards move when near the top of the ladder.

Who in the trade period was worth chasing and possibly keen on coming to Sydney?

There was a lack of quality in this years trade period. Houston was Melbourne bound but open to which club. Outside of that WA players went home and Rioli to the Gold Coast.

If we let players leave it could have been for draft picks. Seems like a backwards move when near the top of the ladder.
Yep. Letting experienced players leave, when you are at the top, for draft picks is a smart move.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back