Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Voss is an elite relationship builder, but he isn’t an elite tactical coach. That is fine, I don’t think anyone other than Chris Scott or Sam Mitchell are. We need to get some more support around him though, and the likes of Brad Lloyd aint it.

I would love to see Adam Simpson as head of footy, another development coach and Innes as the trade for Lloyd and Russell.

Voss:
"couldn't execute" (count: 4
happy with the 6 ins when asked about selections
"tried to manage tom's minutes a bit"
When asked if he wished he had him at the start he genuinely said "naah" committed to needing to keep mins low
What was the plan for zorko? "we didnt execute it, the plan was there" (REALLY?!?!?! was it fantasia or motlop the plan..?)
Now just waffling , just jargon and bs phrases now
"won't shy away" we had that on the bingo card
"we're clear on that" ugh
"winning behaviours"
"yeh wow. what a man" on doch ffs totally backing in the call to pick him. disgraceful. now spending 5 mins talking about doch to distract from everything else. terrible. oh back to doch
Back to catch phrases
"more chapters in this story"

not sure he ever actually says anything.
His media training is spot on, I reckon he practices those little smiles (which he throws in as much as possible) in front of the mirror multiple times each day.
Club selected him as he was “a big name” & uncompromising.
Nope, he’s just another super star footballer who can’t coach - just like Watson, Bucks & Hird before him. To be fair reckon Buck & Hird have him covered but at least he’s better than Timmy.

Last edited:
Only Richmond have a worse record during this period

Our only wins were against WCE & North.

Perspective

We have fallen away badly and questions need to be asked
How many first team players were out injured in the second half of the season? How many of them were rushed back into the side only to re-injure themselves during a game? How may soft tissue injuries did we have during the year that could have been avoided?

we havent had a good coach to really know if this behaviour is on valid grounds or not
Exactly. Our one coach in Ratts that we should’ve held the line for 1-2 more seasons we let go of. Then Mick, Bolton, Teague and Voss… reeks of used scraps or no other choice because we’re a poisoned chalice and no one would coach us except crazy Vossy who applied four times over the journey.

Embarrassed ourselves in ariel contests throughout the game, midfield spanked in the first half

That wasn't about selection, it was about poor intent from the first bounce

As soon as TDK came on, the midfield started working better, that’s a pretty big selection stuff up if you ask me

We've let our players sack coach after coach though, not sure I like then dictating another coach sacking - even if I'm not sold on Voss.
Agree. It isn't going to happen.

Having said that.
I'd take Chris Scott in a heartbeat just to see what can be done with our group.
Lost so much faith in our coaching staff's ability...MC whoever they are.

So much mediocrity including our game style. Obvious problems never fixed...bombing it in to forward 50.

It's tough. 30 years of hope.

Last edited:
Coaches seem to be making the same mistakes over and over.
TDK as sub is laughable, he's either good to go or he isn't, ****ing decide.
A forward line cannot carry both Durdin AND Motlop at one time. Together they are absolute liabilities.
Why tf was Cincotta not playing???

Confused.

Should be doing better with a core of Cripps, Walsh, TDK, McKay, Curnow and Weitering.

Recruit some genuine speed and some coaches with a clue.

I think he hid because of pride. He knows some of his decisions and ideas have pissed our season away again. Could it be the turning point for him… doubt it… don’t think he can let go micro managing everything.
Or far more realistically did he want to be calling the shots directly in the last without having to relay them?

Anyone suggesting Voss went to the box to avoid scrutiny is being obtuse or emotional...or both. And that's probably OK too given our night.

Anyway, Lee Van Cleef is doing his thing on Gem. If I ever start a band it will be called Lee Van Cleef.

And do Carlton get to write the presser questions? They were so soft!
How could you think Voss/the panel (I am not sure he is actually pulling that many strings on match day) are the right people for the job after listening to that!

The TDK sub couldn't even be credited with being 'half baked'
They did not have a plan for Zorko
The choice of Kennedy off was bizzare
The 3 small forwards combined were not worth Half a single Hawk forward from last night AND had no form to justify any of them being in the team
The Docherty selection was a ridiculous risk and like some of the above - shows favourites d. Logic

We will not make a GF with Voss as coach and he still has 2yrs = Cripps past his best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be a distinct lack of I didnt tell you so’s here tonight. 🤣
The people we want to say that to aren’t around 😂
They will be hiding for a few days at least given how vehemently they said we were wrong.
Good news is at least in here is pretty much united, that type of display made it clear that something is very very wrong

Again, our biggest flaw is lack of system in ball movement. We don't have any apparent system. It is TDK, Cripps and bust.

We have a very amatuer style of play. Contest, contest, gun player gets the ball and tries to do something. Only in the second half their were some actually attempted overlap run, quick switches, through handballs etc. this should be the norm of our play, not when all else fails.
EXACTLY.⏫

Voss needs to be put on the carpet and read the riot act for sure. But the club needs to get over the "always play the stars and don't rotate our youngsters" attitude. While we have made progress, we are still acting like the club is an old boys society where backroom movers and shakers are still making decisions. I agree on the mentor thing. Maybe we could get Neil Craig back in to help him out. Outside of that Roos might be a good mentor for him.
I’m sure he has Matthew’s in his contact list, and Walls, etc. he even has premiership mates in Scott, McRae he can chat too or those like Leppitsch. Even reach out to Figjam as a sounding board.

One other question on the coaching, what the **** have they done to Saad? Gone from a dynamic playmaker to a kind of solid back pocket who doesn't get much of the ball. Weird.
This 100%, so noticeable.
Saady has gone from an attacking run & carry half back, to an absolute defender. The guy is a weapon - use him!!

Embarrassed ourselves in ariel contests throughout the game, midfield spanked in the first half

That wasn't about selection, it was about poor intent from the first bounce
The intent of the team is kind of related to the team that you select.

His media training has a spot on, I reckon he practices those little smiles (which he throws in as much as possible) in front of the mirror multiple times each day.
Club selected him as he was “a big name” & uncompromising.
Nope, he’s just another super star footballer who can’t coach - just like Watson, Bucks & Hird before him. To be fair reckon Buck & Hird have him covered but at least he’s better than Timmy.

One of the reasons we passed on Kingsley is because he wasn’t as marketable as Voss apparently. That’s all this club cares about. Big names.

If people blame Lewis Young, I suggest you leave.

He was far from our worst player tonight.

He was fantastic, been very good since coming back and honestly the MC have clearly got that one wrong also pretty much all year.

There is a severe lack of selection integrity with this coaching group, players can go out of form and find it in the magoos. There’s nothing wrong going back and playing in the twos to find form and fitness, it’s been going on for 150 years and proven level to actually make you a better footballer.

For some reason, this MC don’t want to have a bar of it, it’s so infuriating

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back