Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Who played well for the Blues in the Elimination final vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

TDK sub, game lost.

Then sub Kennedy? And not Pittonet, Motlop or Durdin.

Seriously, everyone with a brain has been saying don't pick Motlop and Durdin.

Let's go back to the old game plan that never works whilst we are at it.

Fair dinkum, this game has the club on notice. Pathetic leadership.

I blame the away room air conditioning.

Showtime Good Point GIF by Billions

In the presser after the game Voss was asked about Zorko. He said we had a plan but just didn't execute it. This is a small window into him.

Did he really think Hollands and Fantasia tag teaming Zorko was a better option than Cincotta? When have either of them played a great defensive forward half role? Cincotta has done it at both ends.

Very, very poor from the coach.

I couldn’t watch the game live, could only check scores on my phone.

Still can’t process how a Carlton team could serve up 0 vs 60 point scoreline in an elimination final with all the supposed talent we have.

I envy Hawthorn, they bring in youth and unearth some real talent and enthusiasm. Reminds me of Sheedy and the baby bombers era of early 90’s.

While we persist with bringing in experienced players whose bodies are letting them down - Martin, Cerra, Marchbank, Williams, McG etc - assumes we’re almost there and just need that one missing piece and we’ll be right, deluding ourselves.

Something needs to change, start playing the youth within the club, bring players back via seconds, reward form players in the VFL.

In the presser after the game Voss was asked about Zorko. He said we had a plan but just didn't execute it. This is a small window into him.

Did he really think Hollands and Fantasia tag teaming Zorko was a better option than Cincotta? When have either of them played a great defensive forward half role? Cincotta has done it at both ends.

Very, very poor from the coach.
Yeh said the same in my sunmary
Laughable

“My plan was for my team to kick more goals. They just didn’t execute it. We’ve got more chapters to write. We’ll get to work. We know we need to get better. Gee what a guy docherty is”

Please Dram, give it up. Hardwick was in his first few years as a coach. Voss has been a senior and assistant for 16 years. You want to wait another 16?
Not that it really matters much but Hardwick was in his 13th year of coaching when the Tigers won the Premiership in 2017, 5 years as an assistant with Hawthorn , 2017 was his 8th year as Richmond coach.

This is disingenuous Arr0w 'the kids' in this context are Lord, Binns and Moir, all of whom were dropped for bigger names returning from injury.

Impossible to say if they'd have made the difference but it's a clear marker of the MC philosophy of big name players over squad depth.
Not disingenuous at all and the Lions are testiment of such, also not playing "kids"

Sayers, Lloyd, Austin have failed and need to go by the time you add Cook to that it all adds up to a lost generation and a rebuild.
What a sham that 2021 review was.
Remember what I said about putting a consultant as head of a football club. Good at selling candy.

So back to sackings

All but disappeared for a year

Still angry so i just sat in the best carpark spot at my local shopping center with my reverse lights on for an hour and watched the carnage behind me for a while! 🧐🤭

**** everyone!

Why was Kennedy subbed of 10 minutes into the second? There were about 11 others who should have been subbed off, was that another stoke of genius from Voss the genius?
Kennedy Hewett and Owies work too hard for Vossy. Dropped or made sub at every opportunity.

Need the bone crushing power of Fantasias 65kg frame , the one armed pressure of Durdin (who I like by the way but he should not have played injured ) and whatever the **** Motlop has brought in the last few weeks.

You look at the teams that are left none of them have 2 ‘power’ forwards,it’s the smalls that the modern game has evolved into.

Hawks/Cats especially.

Swans main forwards hardly score.

Giants have Hogan surrounded by quality smalls whilst lions have Joe and the same.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I've been seriously thinking about this for the past few weeks and I know that it'd be very unpopular with most people but I'd now consider trading one of ours . We would get a decent return for one of them which would allow us to address areas of genuine need. If I had to choose one right now It'd be Charlie, as mercurial as he is I think that Harry can be relied on to perform at a more consistent level, hasn't been as affected by injury and is more versatile.

Yes, I know Charlie was in the running for another Coleman until injured but quite honestly I'm sick and tired of having nothing else to celebrate but Colemans, Brownlows, All Australians and B&Fs, it's all meaningless BS to me the only medallions I value is the Norm Smith and the Premiership medallions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But..

We played much better after he went off. We would have been too top heavy taking off a small forward for TDK.

As we all mostly agree, Cinc should have been playing for one of our vanilla small forwards
No criticism intended Ald, but what’s the point of leaving underperforming small forwards like Motlop, Durdin and Williams - sounds like we got nothing from them this game.

We might have been top heavy, but taking Kennedy out and leaving unfit / out of form small forwards in isn’t and wasn’t very productive.

My point is that the preparation by the coaches (with selection being a massive part of our preparation this week) filters down to the playing group, and effects their mentality.

The coaches prepared very poorly for last night’s game. I think that is a huge factor in the players not being switched on for a final.

Maybe, but we can never really know what affects the minds of players.

I'm more of the opinion that I mentioned earlier. Devastated after Saints loss, fell in thanks to Port, then had 4 days off. Player's minds went into "finished" mode and never got back out of it. Part of that can be attributed to coaches, although apparently Voss gave a great speech after Port had done us the favour.

If the players were not switched on because they were sooking about who was and wasn't picked, then we are a more mentally frail side than I thought.

Perhaps not back to sackings, but we need to be analytical and astute , there’s no time for procrastination, opposition teams will improve during upcoming trade and draft period.
No dawdling , some hard decisions need to made. A list refresh again? Absolutely , no doubt about it.
Coaching support and Recruiting too need scrutinizing and an overhaul .
May not solve all our problems, but we must from well grounded so it’s the fundamentals foremost.

If the players were not switched on because they were sooking about who was and wasn't picked, then we are a more mentally frail side than I thought.
I don’t think they were sooking, and I don’t think you’re getting my point.

The coaches did not prepare well for the game. They did not pick a team based on logic and form to give us the best possible chance to win.

That lack of good preparation, and the gambling aspect of selection, filters subtly into the mentality of the team.

Compare to the preparation (and team selection) that Geelong did for Port. Very well prepared, very defined plan, fit players, switched on.

Got 2 wins in Mighty Adelaide.

Got paid back in spades in Melbourne.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Thylacine was sacked.

Sun will rise tomorrow.

Hare goddamn Krishna.😎👍
Not sure how anyone can thumbs down this but hey it's the interwebs.

100% Agree 👍

Look at Hawks midfield. It’s not that quick. Newcombe MacKenzie Day Worpel Nash etc aren’t quick. However, the way they play is quick and full of run in numbers

Hawthorn's small half-back flankers and forward flankers - Moore, Watson, Hardwick, Morrison, etc, are quick though. Totally out-ran us (again) when we played against them.

We'll play finals again next year, but to go deeper, we need to make the right list changes, play the committed, tweak the gameplan based on the new composition of the list
I don't think Jordan Russell as a forward coach is working particularly well. Think we need someone with some fresh ideas as his haven't worked for a long time

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Elimination Final Blues blown away in first half. Never looked likely.

Back