Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard Chris Scott talk about Cam Guthrie & Tom Hawkins being fit to play this week but aren’t “finals ready”. As such they will play in VFL this weekend

Wonder what Voss’s thinking is?
Going to be tough for Scott. Guthrie has been fragile and under done, absolutely a best 22 when fit, but team going past him.

Hawkins is not best 22 any more, Neale has gone past him and the team has developed synergy in Hawk’s absence. The call is absolutely to leave a club legend out.

It's the question for which there is no perfect answer.

Issue is we aren't talking niggles or little injuries that many play with. It's also not just 1 or 2 players.

Charlie TDK have serious injuries that will restrict them. McGovern Williams Cerra are recurring injuries so there must be doubts. Martin is fraglie

This is not to mention Saad Durdin Fantasia who have just come back and don't look 100%

Docherty is coming back from an ACL in under 6 months and simply hasn't played

Messing around with the sub is a sure fire way to make a big mistake.

The two most pertinent issues IMO is that:
1. we have had a horrendous run with injury - it’s not unlikely a sub plays 3 quarters.
2. We don’t use it tactically- when do we ever pull the trigger early (say half time) to bring in a change, even the first 5-10min of Q3 if we are struggling.
We don’t - the impact sub comes in when it’s to late, it’s a last ditch effort not an early proactive change.

Bringing is so many injured players is a massive risk. So many questions re selection this week and there are no easy answers
yes and no.

Harry's injury wasn't significant, nor was Williams'...

Charlie has been playing hobbled all year most likely. He can do it again and have an impact - he's now had a good rest/time for rehab for...

They haven't played since 11 August, so best part of 4 weeks rest.... Martin's last game too.

Guv too - minor injury?

I don't think any of those four (not Martin) are significant risks.

Harry, Charlie - match winners. No brainers to play.

Guv, Williams - important, but not critical. Play them too.

Cerra - huge risk - big no. Didn't perform at all on his return earlier. Lord has been performing...

TDK - huge risk. Big no - too long off the field. Pitto has to step up.

Martin - a risk, but I'd play him, gives so much in the F50 - transforms us!!

100%. Martin is tough and a damn good player. Has a real crack. Issue is purely we can't trust his body
None of us will likely know but I sometimes wonder how much of his injuries are due to inadequate preparation…

simmo was one of our long serving and robust players ….there was some write ups on the blues website iirc on his extra recovery after games and preparation before a game.

We’ve also heard about how Cripps does extra work over preseason.

I have heard nothing about how Martin goes about his recoveries/preps or anything like that.

yes and no.

Charlie has been playing hobbled all year most likely. He can do it again and have an impact - he's now had a good rest/time for rehab for...

They haven't played since 11 August, so best part of 4 weeks rest.... Martin's last game too.

Guv too - minor injury?

Cerra - huge risk - big no. Didn't perform at all on his return earlier. Lord has been performing...

I see it very differently

Messing around with the sub is a sure fire way to make a big mistake.

The two most pertinent issues IMO is that:
1. we have had a horrendous run with injury - it’s not unlikely a sub plays 3 quarters.
2. We don’t use it tactically- when do we ever pull the trigger early (say half time) to bring in a change, even the first 5-10min of Q3 if we are struggling.
We don’t - the impact sub comes in when it’s to late, it’s a last ditch effort not an early proactive change.

Hate the sub rule. Just stupid

OK four more sleeps......... :straining:

We know we fell into the finals and for once fortune smiled upon us.

We can take full advantage of this slice of luck IMO.

We know our best is a GOOD as ANYONES!

7 or 8 eight weeks ago we were equal flag favorites and then we hit a wall.

IMO a combination of fatigue, hunger, a shocking run of injuries and just plain back luck ensued up until
the Eagles game.

The young ones came in and reenergized the group and that spread through the team like a wildfire. You could feel it.
I know it was only the Eagles but gee we were good.
Was the same feeling V the Saints.

I know we lost, but that effort was so much better than most are giving us credit for. Saints beat a pretty well full-strength Geelong the previous week and were mighty impressive doing it. Geelong came out next week and franked what I am saying. And again it was on the back of the young ones(and of course Crippa) inspiring the likes of Newy, Acres and Walsh to play to their best IMO.

If we can keep and even improve on that same energy and passion we have played with the last two weeks,
combined with the influx of some of our big guns then we are every chance.

I feel at the very least Lord and Moir need to be retained, and Binns would be very stiff if dropped.

We have to have trust in the match committee to get it right.

Charlie , Harry, Gov, Willo, etc.etc., we all know the story.

Cerra and TDK played in the match sim, Martin putting his hand up and of course Doc.......

Selection will be so tough this week.

We are in this game all the way and YES, WE CAN WIN. GO BLUES!

Last edited:
yes and no.

Guv too - minor injury?

Agree with all this except Martin. Think if we are going to come in with some many critical pieces in one go, we can roll the dice and keep Martin out and see if Kemp can sufficiently play the role.

Though he was well beaten by Wilkie, loved his attitude to keep himself involved - tapping down to a player instead of trying to take a difficult pack mark, when the ball hit the ground he fought for it. I never expected him to beat a gun like Wilkie but being 3rd fiddle this week he could have a big impact

Funny how we all see different things in our player's. I really don't see the conditional part at all. Jack could well be a very

important piece to our structure this Sat night. With so many player's either almost fit enough to play or on the cusp of

selection. I think Martin is one that makes sense to roll the dice on. But, then again with so many borderline fit. It is also

fraught with danger. If Charlie is not selected, then maybe Jack could help our forward line and do some scoreboard

damage. I do love his attack on the footy, he is one of our hardest player's. Reckon this is one reason why he gets injured

so much.
I'd play Kemp as the third tall up front regardless. And play McGovern/Young as the second and third tall down back.

Id even rather play Ashton for a full game.
What if he was the sub - plays for 30 high impact, dynamic minutes…?
He'd play for 15, accidentally end one of his team mates years and pull a muscle doing so.
He won't be at the club next year. As far as I'm concerned he shouldn't represent us again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the talk of Moir not being ready for 4 quarters, I reckon you could make a case he's closer to it than Charlie
Well yes, if it's the same Charlie that at times this season can't move in anything but a straight line and has all the agility of the QE2 once the ball leaves his personal space, then yeah even a raw Moir probably is.

Way TOO much focus on whether players will be fit, underdone and selection as a whole

Any club that has quality players thereabouts, would pick best 22 even with some niggles

Suspect the main focus of Voss and co will be tactics for this game
I would agree with this.

Its finals fever, you cannot simply going into finals with caution and negativity in mind.

scrap them up and play the best 22.

How about we start with people's view of what the ideal 'perfect' team selection would be assuming every player on the list is available - apart from the obvious LT injured and suspended? Speculating on who is fit ( enough) and who isnt is a merry-go-round. The bolded players are the known injury question marks - which then sets up a structured discussion in my mind. The greyed players I reckon are playing injured/very sore anyway.

My best team to beat Brisbane would be:

Young Weitering Cowan
Saad McGovern Newman

Acres Cripps Ollie
Pittonet Walsh Hewett

Martin Harry E Hollands
Williams Charlie Kemp

IC: Kennedy Cincotta TDK Docherty
EM:
Lord/Carroll

The conundrum for selection is pretty obvious - people call it 'risk' - but the real risk ( assuming you want to win the game) is choosing players who aren't better than their opponents are likely to be - even if they are 100% fit.

We wont have enough information to make informed debate - but just looking at the number of bolded players makes me shake my head and laugh tbh.

There is no way Binns/Moir/Lord/Carroll ( who I reckon is showing great signs ) can match it with the Brisbane players. It will be be a battle for E Hollands and Ollie to do same - let alone Young and Cowan.

I rate Brisbane as one of the Top3 teams in the competition for balance and class all over the park - they are probably #1.
The reason no one expects Carlton to win this one - is obvious.
However - IF by some miracle the team above can be selected - you never know. The point I am making is the more of the bolded players who aren't in teh team - teh more pressure there is on the players who can actually win a contest more than not - that means Cripps especially.

Carlton seeds to spread the load realistically not in some imaginary fashion pretending 19 year old VFL players in a bottom 2 VFL team are not going to be lambs to the slaughter.

It is ok for 1-2 young ones to be thrown into the mix - but if you have 4-6 of them they will get absolutely obliterated and make it too easy for Brisbane to play free and easy uncontested fast football.

How about we start with people's view of what the ideal 'perfect' team selection would be assuming every player on the list is available - apart from the obvious LT injured and suspended? Speculating on who is fit ( enough) and who isnt is a merry-go-round.
My best team to beat Brisbane would be:

Young Weitering Cowan
Saad McGovern Newman

Acres Cripps Ollie
Pittonet Walsh Hewett

Martin Harry E Hollands
Williams Charlie Kemp

IC: Kennedy Cincotta TDK Docherty
EM:
Lord/Carroll
You wouldn't have Cerra?

Status