Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually ok with all the ins this week, except for two rucks - I just hate two rucks.
So either have TDK in a solo ruck or don't have him in at all!

So one of TDK/ Pitto - replaced by either Cinc or Lord

I'm actually ok with all the ins this week, except for two rucks - I just hate two rucks.

I agree but think if TDK plays he will be majority forward with small part I ruck so Harry's or him are always in the 50 to make Harris Andrews accountable

Don't we suspect that TDK is going to take Charlies role and pinch hit in the ruck.

Funny - can't see Pitto playing at full forward:

"And Pittonet charges forward on the lead and takes the mark in front of Andrews on the 50"
" He plays on and wheels around on that dangerous right foot and .... goals !!!. "
" One of the great sights in football to see the big No. 27 wheel and go and score from 50".

Last edited:
Cincotta & Lord IN
Young & Fantasia OUT

Sub: Lord

Gov to Hipwood
Cinx to Zorko

I would have rather that, and bitten the bullet and gone one smaller than the Lions. Historically they seem to play with more speed than us.

Voss must be worried about height.

Last night Dixon and RatG combined for 0 goals and 9d. Big forwards aren't dominating finals.

McKay, Young, TDK & Pitto. 4 blokes over 200cm. Fortunately the Lions are running with a similar quartet.

Surely a late change is coming.

Those claiming MC being cagey with omission of cinc 😂😂

You really think lions are that silly to fall for childish tactics like that??

What are they going to do …not play Zorko 🤦
Might give Zorko a sigh of relief and think he’s not getting the hard tag. Only to find he’s in… and doubt starts to creep in.

The mind is a strange thing. It’s all above the shoulders.

But it’s also a moot point if it doesn’t occur.

Don't we suspect that TDK is going to take Charlies role and pinch hit in the ruck.

Funny - can't see Pitto playing at full forward:

"And Pittonet charges forward on the lead and takes the mark in front of Andrews on the 50"
" He plays on and wheels around on that dangerous right foot and .... goals !!!. "
" One of the great sights in football to see the big No. 27 kick wheel and go and score from 50".
Haven’t seen that since the Rhino wore the #27, he could wheel & go, could celebrate a goal too!

Not to mention he's one of our quickest in a team struggling for speed.

And a proven entity at clamping down on dangerous small forwards. Witness the Stengle masterclass last night.

And most importantly...fully deserving of his spot after playing a largely sacrificial role for the team all year. It's an abomination he's been dropped.
He may not be dropped at all.

Smoke & mirrors?

Cincotta & Lord IN
Young & Fantasia OUT

Sub: Lord

Gov to Hipwood
Cinx to Zorko

I would have rather that, and bitten the bullet and gone one smaller than the Lions. Historically they seem to play with more speed than us.

Voss must be worried about height.

Last night Dixon and RatG combined for 0 goals and 9d. Big forwards aren't dominating finals.

McKay, Young, TDK & Pitto. 4 blokes over 200cm. Fortunately the Lions are running with a similar quartet.

Surely a late change is coming.
Dixon and RatG are rubbish. Cameron and Neale kicked 6.5 between them and it should have been 8. Neal only had 9 possessions but had 9 marks.

Also wouldn't take anything out of a game that had so little pressure that teams rarely kicked down the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron and Neale kicked 6.5 between them and it should have been 8
Camerons goals didn't come from being a key. They were crumbing and the set shots had nothing to do with his size.

Neale took a couple good marks, but aside from maybe 2 of his marks key forwards had 0 impact as key forwards.

Might give Zorko a sigh of relief and think he’s not getting the hard tag. Only to find he’s in… and doubt starts to creep in.

The mind is a strange thing. It’s all above the shoulders.

But it’s also a moot point if it doesn’t occur.
Love it when someone uses "moot" in a post, I go all Gomez when Tish speaks French........Bubala

What's your evidence base for lord being built for finals?
Head over the ball
Been Clean with his skills (Not fumbling is key in finals)
Involved in scoring chains
Defends well at stoppage

Compare that to Durdin with 1 arm. If Lord goes on Ball he provides option of Walsh to go High Half Fwd if required.
Purely on Form you would play Lord over an injured Durdin

Fantasia isn’t a small crumbing forward, either is Williams - who else will play this role with Motlop & Durdin out?
Williams and Fantasia can adapt as needed. Don't need to be pure crumbing forwards. Apply pressure and hit the scoreboard.
Motlop isn't contributing anyway and Durdin might only last until someone grabs his arm and pulls the shoulder out.

Of the three selections that have the most potential to blow up in our faces (Durdin, Cerra, Motlop), it's actually the Motlop selection I'm most worried about.

Not only is he extremely slow for a small forward, but he also spends most of his time in jog mode and gives his opponent way too much room in the process.

You can pencil his opponent in for 25 touches.

Head over the ball
Been Clean with his skills (Not fumbling is key in finals)
Involved in scoring chains
Defends well at stoppage

Compare that to Durdin with 1 arm. If Lord goes on Ball he provides option of Walsh to go High Half Fwd if required.
Purely on Form you would play Lord over an injured Durdin
Lord has impressed me on his AFL debut for Carlton as you say clean quick hands in contested situations and puts his head over the ball. As he builds endurance he might be able to play for more than 60% game time - maybe that is his current drawback ( about 20% more endurance required to get him up to a 70% game time at least )

Personally I am surprised that Durdin has been (currently chosen) since he came off with what looks like a dislocated shoulder - however Durdin has Lord covered in leg speed and small forward experience if not runs on the board as such in 2024.

I suspect if Owies was available Durdin / Motlop may not be playing.

Another one who along with Durdin and McGovern and Cerra and TDK who are no doubt on fragile legs is Fanatasia- but unlike some posters on here I see him as a cut above all the smalls ( Durdin/Motlop and Owies ) as far as class , brains and impact goes in games - sadly his body hasn't improved from Port days - otherwise he would be picked in every game - same as Martin...(oh well) On Fantasia- he is exactly the type that can win you finals with far fewer touches than the usual grinder.

In my mind this game is as good as a Preliminary final in terms of who Brisbane are as far as an opponent goes - their home ground and they are fully fit. Much harder match up than Geelong or Hawforn or Doggies or Port - for the team that Carlton is putting up - on paper atm.

Win this one and at the margin the next game against Sydney or GWS is easier - that is how I read the tea leaves anyway.

No way we are a chance playing Lord/Moir/Binns instead of

Cerra TDK Fantasia Williams Docherty- totally different levels of class and proven ability.

Coincotta's absence is a bit of a hed scratcher but who do you drop to include him? Kennedy? E Hollands?

Voss's choices to me are pretty self-explanatory and referencing the good efforts by a few VFL players in a losing match against St Kilda is a pretty poor argument to make. and yet one I have read on here repeatedly delivered by the usual Voss haters.

Of the three selections that have the most potential to blow up in our faces (Durdin, Cerra, Motlop), it's actually the Motlop selection I'm most worried about.

Not only is he extremely slow for a small forward, but he also spends most of his time in jog mode and gives his opponent way too much room in the process.

You can pencil his opponent in for 25 touches.
I’m penciling in Motts for 2-3 goals now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back