Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the Best case team for our Elimination Final Win.

In:
Charlie, Harry, Williams, McGovern, Boyd
Out: Carroll, Kennedy, Fantasia, Young, Binns

Risky: Dekoning for Pitto

FB - Cowan Weitering Boyd
HB- Newman McGovern Saad
C- Acres Cripps O Hollands
 HF- E.Hollands (m) Harry Williams
FF- Kemp Charlie Owies

FOL- Pitto/Dekoning Walsh Hewett

Int- Cincotta (d,m), Durdin (f), Motlop (f), Lord (m)
Sub - Moir

Emerg: Young, Kennedy, Binns, Carroll

Not Risking:
Cerra
- too risky, Hewitt in great form
Martin - Kemp as 3rd forward

Why?
Hewitt, Walsh, Cripps
head to head in middle, Cincotta to tag if we are getting dominated
Young out - Brisbane not tall forwards
Dekoning in if fit - would be difference
Kemp - forward, out of him and Kennedy, Kemp pressure acts needed
Durdin - him or Fantasia, Fogarty would be preferred, shoulder doesn’t help, this is an issue
Boyd - Brisbane small forwards need to be stopped
Lord - either him or Carroll, but hard to tell as Carroll playing forward lately, Carroll was subbed

Loads of driving and family time today. Missed our game and the Freo game. Heard we were shit and choked but here we are and I reckon this might actually be the hardest fixture of the finals series.

Win ? Play gws/Sydney. Reckon Brisbane is tougher.
Win again ? Prelim vs Geelong or port which id actually be bloody confident in.

Win again? Mcg against a Sydney team........

Just get through Brisbane and it's looking pretty handy.

Early message

Charlie Harry McGovern Williams Martin should be good to go

TDK Boyd Cerra 50/50 at best
If the bottom three are 50/50 at best they don’t play up here in Qld for mine. Most likely will be hard and fast and mid 20’s temp (at least). Can’t play both Zac and Corey D for mine, with ongoing “niggles”. Zac has the greatest impact so gets the nod. If Cez doesn’t get up, I think young Cooper Lord is retained.

Not in favour of Martin, perhaps as sub, but to be honest would consider retaining Ashton Moir in the role. If no TDK, we should seriously consider retaining Young.

Maybe
Cowan, Weitering, Young
Saad, McGovern, Newman
Acres, Crippa, Ollie
Pittonet, Hewett, Walsh
Fantasia, McKay, Elijah
Kennedy, Curnow, Williams
Int: Owies, Kemp, Cincotta, Lord
Sub: Martin/Moir

Unlucky: Durdin would be in before Owies for mine, if 100% or close, shoulder is play by play though, Binns has done nothing wrong, Motlop, just going, unless I am missing work off the ball is not doing enough.

Having Kempy and Cinc off the interchange gives coverage across the park and scope to change up if necessary. Chugga to do a bit of ruck relief and enter mid rotations. Ollie to revert to backline on occasion, has been huge back there. Carroll unlucky, but could have been deployed better and subbed, taking lead from MC.

Hope there are some VFL listed boys happy to provide some match sim work to TDK, Cez, Boyd and co.leading up to game day.

Durds is rooted.

Should not have played today. Shoulder is cactus. Good on him for toughing it out but it’s buggered.

A shame because for all his faults the bloke has a bit of heart. I guess that means it’s a choice between Motlop, Fantasia and Williams for the final forward spot which is a bit like “pick your poison”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure we will have all three of Weitering, Gov and Young

Brisbane forward line has
Talls: Daniher, Hipwood and Morris (last two only played 60% game time)
Mobile: Lohmann Cameron Rayner Bailey

I say no to Young, have Kemp swing back if Cowan cant cover 3rd talk on Morris, we need more defensive mobility

In: Marchbank, Williams, McGovern, Cerra, Docherty, C.Curnow, Martin, McKay

Out: Young, Cowan, Lord, Binns, Cincotta, Carroll, Kemp, C.Durdin

B: Marchbank----------Weitering---------------Newman

H: Williams------------McGovern---------------Saad

C: Acres------------------Cripps-----------------Docherty

H: E.Hollands-----------C.Curnow---------------Martin

F: Owies-----------------McKay------------------Motlop

Foll: Pittonet, Cerra, Walsh

Bench: Hewett, O.Hollands, Kennedy, Fantasia

Sub:Kemp
Doc in and no TDK … DJ at his absolute best here

Not sure we will have all three of Weitering, Gov and Young

Brisbane forward line has
Talls: Daniher, Hipwood and Morris (last two only played 60% game time)
Mobile: Lohmann Cameron Rayner Bailey

I say no to Young, have Kemp swing back if Cowan cant cover 3rd talk on Morris, we need more defensive mobility

Kemp showed today why he should never play back - flying for marks, giving away free kicks for over zealous attack on the opposition - make those mistakes in the back line and it costs us a shot on goal.

Watching Young play can be form of torture at times but I genuinely think he should stay in the team for the Brisbane final.

Gonna need a lot of mental toughness to turn up and compete.
Supporters and players both feel like we're just making up the numbers, and 'didn't make finals' after today's lost.

Big test of character for the group and the leadership.

I don’t. I feel like we put in a bloody gutsy effort considering the injuries - I was proud of them. Most teams would have done a lot worse without their FF, CHF, Ruck, CHB etc.

Reckon we can do some damage if we get 6-8 players back.

Lions aren’t in hot form either.

I’m a believer.

I don’t. I feel like we put in a bloody gutsy effort considering the injuries - I was proud of them. Most teams would have done a lot worse without their FF, CHF, Ruck, CHB etc.

Reckon we can do some damage if we get 6-8 players back.

Lions aren’t in hot form either.

I’m a believer.
I agree with most of this - but the bolded - Lions have won 10 of 12 since the bye, even if they've lost 2 of the last 3 (to GWS and Collingwood). They are in far better nick than we are

I do think they're vulnerable though. They've been wasteful in front of goal and prone to giving away runs of goals all year - I think if we don't go back to blindly bombing long (to Andrews) with the return of H and Charlie we can give this a real shake

In: Curnow, McKay, McGovern. Will make a huge difference right there, we would have killed them today.

Not sure I'd be rushing back anyone else unless they're absolutely running through walls 10 days from now. Prefer to see most/all young guys who have come in and done well recently stay in. Could afford to chop at least one small forward.

Coaches have a massive opportunity to get the boys right up and about for this one. They should be proud of their efforts today, and we've been spared any consequence from a loss we simply did not deserve (thank you Port!).

Worst case, this will give our guys another taste of finals action and valuable experience for the years ahead. Best case, we win and start writing a new Carlton legend. Not to mention stick it right up the clackers of the supporters of those other clubs (notably filth, *, stains, shockers) that were gleefully dancing on our graves earlier today. A-B-C-D-E, F-U to them!

Lohmann is going to be a tough match up.

Then there's also Cameron.

I would put Cincotta on Lohmann... just shut the guy out, from what I've seen in Brisbane games recently, he always steps up and provides a spark for them when they need it.

Saad to take Cameron.

Weiters on Joe, Young on Hipwood.

With the twin towers returning, Kemp to remain forward as well. I just hope Kemp doesn't kamikaze leap into them...

Dare to dream, we can most definitely win this one... their form has tapered off a bit and we look like we've found something again.

At this stage I'd go:

FB: Newman Young Cincotta
HB: Saad Weiters McGovern
C: Ollie Cripps Acres
HF: Elijah McKay Owies
FF: Kemp Charlie Williams
FOL: Pitto/TDK Walsh Hewett
IC: Kennedy Cowan Lord Binns (sub - Moir)

IN: McGovern, Harry, Charlie, Williams, TDK (if fit else Pitto obv stays in)
OUT: Motlop, Fantasia, Durdin, Carroll

I really hope we don't drop Lord, Binns and Moir - reckon it'll be important to allow them to experience finals and they have really provided a point of difference for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back