Teams 2024 Fantasy Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

First draft done. Sorry on phone so would need 28 screenshots 🥴

DEF: Sheezel, NWM, Young, Himmelberg, Coffield, Hore (Leake, Schoenmaker)
MID: Brayshaw, Laird, Butters, Steele, Guthrie, Simpkin, McKercher, Sanders (Jhye Clark, Hardie)
R: Gawndy (Read)
FWD: Macrae, Moore, Reid, Duursma, Wilson, Mannagh (Caddy, George)
I: Fahey

Think I need one less mid (Guthrie) and one more forward (who the * knows)

Any thoughts appreciated.

$97k remaining
Those early byes are doing my head in and I notice that you only have 3 premos in the team with those byes, nicely spaced over rnds 3-5-6. Would the plan be to flick them for a game with the idea of getting them back in?

I'm trying to put together a team without any of those early byes and it's looking shizen.

Those early byes are doing my head in and I notice that you only have 3 premos in the team with those byes, nicely spaced over rnds 3-5-6. Would the plan be to flick them for a game with the idea of getting them back in?

I'm trying to put together a team without any of those early byes and it's looking shizen.
Yeah I’ve tried zero. Rucks were English/Soldo and defence I think I went someone more expensive than HH and Guthrie was someone cheaper from memory.

Thoughts are 2 of those 3 are mid pricers by $$ and should go up substantially before their bye.

HH think I’ll hold. Grundy probably look to turn into English unless he’s pumping out 120’s. Gawn probably the one I may sideways out and in but probably a week to upgrade instead given it’s round 6.

Surprised to see my initial team fell under the salary cap.

B: Daicos, Sinclair, Young, Ridley, Coffield, Curtin (Edwards, Busslinger)

C: Brayshaw, Butters, Steele, Walsh, Simpkin, Mckercher, Sanders, Clark (Stevens, Binns)

R: Marshall, Grundy (Barnett)

F: Macrae, Flanders, Moore, Reid, Duursma, Mannagh (Bauer, George)

U: Anyone

Slightly weaker than usual up forward but the top rookies are available forward for a change.

I've had a play around with my team and made a few changes. Firstly swapped English/Soldo to Gawn/Grundy and saved $230k.
Also after looking at Coffield's old numbers I think I would rather play a rookie at a cheaper price for the same average, this allowed me enough cash with all these savings to upgrade Taylor Adams to Bont. I think I will start light on the forward line there seems to be some good DPP rookies so will take a punt.
Here is version 2.0

AFL3.JPG
AFL4.JPG

My way too early draft, and very content to sit with this layout until the new year until the numbers sort of settle on the most popular picks.

Round 0 really is a pain, restricted myself to two players (Berg and Grundy)

Very Saints heavy but all have the potential to do well (underpriced Steele remembers how to play footy again, Sinc tears it up, Owens, Windy and NWM take that next step and Henry keeps thriving)

Rozee and English are in the "I can't go through another year of death riding them" category. Wanted Dawson as well but could only fit two. that could change come later in the pre season

Chapman and Coffield are my discounted injury picks. Chapman has been forecasted for a move to the wing and Coffield should get some game time in a Bevoland defence.

Have reluctantly gone Macrae over Flanders.

This is surely the year that the Duke finally becomes that consistent big scorer.

Have brought back in our lord and saviour Ginbey as I reckon without the pressure of being overworked, used as a tagger and thrown to the wolves each game, he could thrive and be let loose and increase his scoring.

FWD line for everyone is a crapshoot Reid, Durssma and Watson will all play R1 most likely so I'm settled with them. Fisher could be this year's Ziebell and be the cheapie merchant as the Sheeze is playing HF.

There will liekly be more changes as mentioned above as I want to sus out the popular picks changes through the preseason and do a popular picks + some PODs strategy, but happy to get a template going and build from there.

tooearly.JPG

I've had a play around with my team and made a few changes. Firstly swapped English/Soldo to Gawn/Grundy and saved $230k.
Also after looking at Coffield's old numbers I think I would rather play a rookie at a cheaper price for the same average, this allowed me enough cash with all these savings to upgrade Taylor Adams to Bont. I think I will start light on the forward line there seems to be some good DPP rookies so will take a punt.
Here is version 2.0

View attachment 1872619
View attachment 1872620
This is where I struggle, 9 of your premos/sub premos have the early bye.

2 in rnd 2
2 in rnd 3
4 in rnd 5
1 in rnd 6 as well as the 3 Tiger rookies

That's a lot of scores to miss out on if you hold, or a lot of trades if you move to non bye players. If you trade out those bye players then that's 5 rounds of forced trades without the consideration of bringing those players back in, it means that after rnd 6 you have virtually traded most of your premos out. 2 or 3 injuries in those 1st 6 rnds would cause a lot of havoc.

Don't get me wrong, the team looks fine, I'm very interested to know however as to what your strategy is regarding those early byes

Last edited:
This is where I struggle, 9 of your premos/sub premos have the early bye.

2 in rnd 2
2 in rnd 3
4 in rnd 5
1 in rnd 6 as well as the 3 Tiger rookies

That's a lot of scores to miss out on if you hold, or a lot of trades if you move to non bye players. If you trade out those bye players then that's 5 rounds of forced trades without the consideration of bringing those players back in, it means that after rnd 6 you have virtually traded most of your premos out. 2 or 3 injuries in those 1st 6 rnds would cause a lot of havoc.

Don't get me wrong, the team looks fine, I'm very interested to know however as to what your strategy is regarding those early byes

Thanks mate at the moment I don't have a plan for the bye rounds.;) I will work that out later on and at the moment just trying see what the best team I can get.

Thought I'd put together a team without any early bye players and build from there.

The main worry if I went like this is missing out on those high scoring and value type picks that have those byes, Grundy and Gawn in particular as I've left my rucks pretty weak, Walsh is probably another, he's got the bye in rnd 2 but will have 2 games of price rises before that, he could be one that comes in if he has a good rnd 0 score.

This last season I had an injury or 2 every rnd for the 1st 10 or so, because of that I'm reluctant to lock in too many trades early on as those rnds are imperative to cash gen.

Fair bit to nut through yet

fantasy 2024 1st draft.png fantasy2 2024 1st draft.png

Tagging is always a guessing game but I think Merrett is potentially a big early risk.

Finn McGuiness
Ryan Clarke
Windhager
Willem Drew

Sydney may have moved past Clarke. He was sub 5 times in the last 9 rounds and didn't play in two of them, so maybe they won't tag anymore. I can't see any evidence of anyone else doing the job but then again, I didn't look that hard.

As attractive as Merrett seems there's a few names there will scare me off.

Tagging is always a guessing game but I think Merrett is potentially a big early risk.

Finn McGuiness
Ryan Clarke
Windhager
Willem Drew

Sydney may have moved past Clarke. He was sub 5 times in the last 9 rounds and didn't play in two of them, so maybe they won't tag anymore. I can't see any evidence of anyone doing the job but then again, I didn't look that hard.

Could be pretty cheap after a couple of ordinary early scores.

Surprised to see my initial team fell under the salary cap.

B: Daicos, Sinclair, Young, Ridley, Coffield, Curtin (Edwards, Busslinger)

C: Brayshaw, Butters, Steele, Walsh, Simpkin, Mckercher, Sanders, Clark (Stevens, Binns)

R: Marshall, Grundy (Barnett)

F: Macrae, Flanders, Moore, Reid, Duursma, Mannagh (Bauer, George)

U: Anyone

Slightly weaker than usual up forward but the top rookies are available forward for a change.
Ridley's an interesting one. Thanks to McKay, role looks likely to change. Can score massively if that's the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finn McGuiness
Ryan Clarke
Windhager
Willem Drew

Sydney may have moved past Clarke. He was sub 5 times in the last 9 rounds and didn't play in two of them, so maybe they won't tag anymore. I can't see any evidence of anyone else doing the job but then again, I didn't look that hard.

Ryan Clarke was delisted by Sydney, so no worry there. Can't tag from the N.T.F.L thankfully.
Daicos breathes a sigh of relief.

Ryan Clarke was delisted by Sydney, so no worry there. Can't tag from the N.T.F.L thankfully.
Daicos breathes a sigh of relief.
Cheers. I did say I didn't look at it closely. There's ya proof.

Wonder if Horse still like tagging? Anyway, still enough to scare me off in the early rounds.

Wonder if Horse still like tagging? Anyway, still enough to scare me off in the early rounds.
Yeh, I suspect he does. Cautious with what he'll do with Sheldrick this year.

Noticed a few people with Callum Mills in their side already. He is injured (shoulder surgery from Mad Monday mishap)
Was slated to miss a large chunk of 2024.

My general rules for round 0

Don’t go in heavy weighted with round 0 players as it’s basically going to cost a donut during the following bye rounds.

Choose best nominal team prior to round 1

Dump anyone not selected in round 0.

Then

Recruit anyone that over performs their average by 20 points.

Re > 10 points over average… is this a change that’s repeatable! Watch list maybe retain/add.

Dump < 0 points under average.

Anyone’s thoughts on Matt Flynn who joined eagles from GWS. He averaged 75 at gws and it prices in the 500s to 600s.

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 6.46.19 pm.png

Bit of a funny old year - tried to stay away from the $1mil guys to get value elsewhere. Rooks will change as time goes on and we get a better picture of who is debuting. 70k left in the bank as it stands.

Forward line bit of a mess but makes it interesting I guess. Last year every campaigner and his dog rocked with Taranto, Coniglio and Dunkley as F1-3. Fyfe probably won't stay in my team but he is interestingly priced for mine. Don't like Macrae tbh and he burned me a few times last year.

My look at going no premiums with an early bye.
Think this might be the strategy most go with to maximise best 18 scores in R2 & R3.

1702812837986.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams 2024 Fantasy Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back