Teams 2024 Fantasy Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I’ll carry Williams assuming he plays and looks good R0. Walsh I’ll have a few guys priced higher so will just sideways one to him if he looks must have. I’m sure I’ll pick a lemon that I can switch to him.

Coleman is super awkward price to be holding that early bye.
Coleman's 2nd bye is early too in Rnd12 - that adds to the trickiness!

Those players that need upgrading but play in the first main bye round are hardest to deal with, you can't really hold them for their bye but you have to upgrade to someone who still has a bye coming.
Yep, the Crows, Hawks, Saints and Doggies who all have the Rnd 15 bye carry that little more cushion and may serve to protect a trade

Ignoring byes as we sit here now until closer to season start, as pre-season will definitely change it all up.

Tanking the FWD line with the thinking that I’d rather nail the other lines focus upgrades on FWD premos later on. FWD seems to be solid for rookies so using that line for cash gen.

First draft in price order:

DEF: N.Daicos, NWM, Young, Coleman, Z.Williams, Curtin (Gibcus, Leake)

MID: Viney, Butters, Steele, Miller, Walsh, Newcombe, Sanders, McKercher (G.Stevens, Binns)

RUC: English, Xerri ($200k R/F)

FWD: Flanders, Rachele, Reid, Z.Duursma, N.Watson, D.Wilson (Mannagh, Gruzewski)

Currently looking at:

DEF: Stewart, NWM, Young, Z. Williams, Coffield, Curtin (Gibcus, Burgiel)

MID: Merrett, Butters, LDU, Newcombe, M. Crouch, Reid, McKercher, Sanders (J. Clark, Binns)

RUC: Gawn, Grundy (Conway)

FWD: Macrae, Flanders, Adams, Billings, Duursma, Watson (Caddy, Mannagh)

(Tholstrup)

$69K bank.

Williams and Billings present great value despite their injury histories and allow for a great deal of structural flexibility around them - we'll get a look at them in R0 and they can be held through their early byes assuming they make it through unscathed, or easily sideways-ed to whoever emerges as 2024's Will Day or Jayden Hunt.

Adams and Flanders are must-picks despite the R0 nonsense as the FWD line is so thin (Hopefully I can make an upgrade by R5 to cover Adams' bye). Same with Macrae - I think he's on the decline scoring-wise but who else are you going to pick at F1?

I've spent up on bench rookies but if cheaper options present in R1, then I could use the cash to get Gawn to English or Newcombe to Brayshaw, but I tend to prefer to take the value picks where possible. Rookie options look great across all lines which is a refreshing change. Bring on the free hit round in March!

1703823725898.png

This is what I've got at the moment. While its too early settle on rookies, there's a reasonable chance we need to pay up for a few if named R1 - Curtin, Gibcus, M.Roberts, Lazzaro, F.Macrae, Hore to name a few.

If I can find a way to switch Sinclair to Daicos I will. Not owning that pig will prevent me from enjoying this game. Sheezel I like, talk is mid/def for him this year. I can see him modelling his game on Daicos and Gulden. Stew has injury game priced into him and Young more mid time. Reluctantly picked that fraud Williams, he's not far off Elliot Yeo territory for durability.

Mids are hard to pick this year. Merrett/Brayshaw as they've hardly missed a game in their career, should spit out similar output and have no bye. If Finmag is named R1 might need to swap him for someone. Butters said he wants to tackle more. Amon is training HB where he did 110+ and Crouch did 98 and will play. 3 rookies everyone will have and happy to play Sharp on field. Considering Wines at 700k, they needed an in form Wines in the final vs GWS as their midfield got annihilated. Just watching his preseason and waiting for a puff piece article.

Gone Gawndy but considering Xerri over Gawn. Trust Gawn a lot more though.

Forwards are hard but gone JM/Flanders. Flanders should be F1 imo. Billing numbers at HF are pretty decent at the Saints so hoping he can just do 80s. Then just gone rookies. Considering Fisher but he can't defend and is an inconsistent kick so not certain how long that experiment lasts. Not interest in Adams, he scored 50 in a game with 60%+ cbas last year. Entering washed territory and terrible durability. Just playing rookies as it will be B18 so 4/6 rounds 4 rookie scores drop off.

View attachment 1879283

This is what I've got at the moment. While its too early settle on rookies, there's a reasonable chance we need to pay up for a few if named R1 - Curtin, Gibcus, M.Roberts, Lazzaro, F.Macrae, Hore to name a few.

If I can find a way to switch Sinclair to Daicos I will. Not owning that pig will prevent me from enjoying this game. Sheezel I like, talk is mid/def for him this year. I can see him modelling his game on Daicos and Gulden. Stew has injury game priced into him and Young more mid time. Reluctantly picked that fraud Williams, he's not far off Elliot Yeo territory for durability.

Mids are hard to pick this year. Merrett/Brayshaw as they've hardly missed a game in their career, should spit out similar output and have no bye. If Finmag is named R1 might need to swap him for someone. Butters said he wants to tackle more. Amon is training HB where he did 110+ and Crouch did 98 and will play. 3 rookies everyone will have and happy to play Sharp on field. Considering Wines at 700k, they needed an in form Wines in the final vs GWS as their midfield got annihilated. Just watching his preseason and waiting for a puff piece article.

Gone Gawndy but considering Xerri over Gawn. Trust Gawn a lot more though.

Forwards are hard but gone JM/Flanders. Flanders should be F1 imo. Billing numbers at HF are pretty decent at the Saints so hoping he can just do 80s. Then just gone rookies. Considering Fisher but he can't defend and is an inconsistent kick so not certain how long that experiment lasts. Not interest in Adams, he scored 50 in a game with 60%+ cbas last year. Entering washed territory and terrible durability. Just playing rookies as it will be B18 so 4/6 rounds 4 rookie scores drop off.
Not far off my own side except I have young instead of sheezel and Simpkin instead of crouch. Merrett seems like such a vanilla pick but when you dive into the top mids and who hasn’t got a bye then it doesn’t leave many

Reckon Matt Crouch comes in at just a fair price. Christ he has to work hard to score - that K:HB ratio is the stuff of nightmares. Doesn't help that it feels like he's on the knifes edge of that best 22.

Reckon Matt Crouch comes in at just a fair price. Christ he has to work hard to score - that K:HB ratio is the stuff of nightmares. Doesn't help that it feels like he's on the knifes edge of that best 22.

That's Crouch though, he's a hard worker and hustles all game. Been doing this since juniors when averaged 37 disposals a game, more than Ashcroft and Daicos. I don't think he will be an amazing pick but no reason he can't do 98 like he did in his last 6 games.

I’m currently leaning towards Wines over Crouch due to the ceiling of Wines.

Wines was heavily impacted by knee surgery and out of action for 3 months last pre season and was therefor unfit all season following that. He also would have gone at 101 in 2022 if it wasn’t for his subbed game against Melb.

May score similar to Crouch in the end but I think Wines certainly has the greater ceiling and if he’s fit again, he’s 25 pts under priced.

All signs are currently pointing towards him being back to full flight so fingers crossed as a POD.

Wines was heavily impacted by knee surgery and out of action for 3 months last pre season and was therefor unfit all season following that. He also would have gone at 101 in 2022 if it wasn’t for his subbed game against Melb.

May score similar to Crouch in the end but I think Wines certainly has the greater ceiling and if he’s fit again, he’s 25 pts under priced.

All signs are currently pointing towards him being back to full flight so fingers crossed as a POD.
I like the look of either Crouch, Wines or Simpkin at M5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers for the info. The thing that makes me hesitant is that Rozee and Butters have taken the car keys in the Port midfield over the last year, and they've also heavily invested in Horne-Francis, so the balance of power in their midfield has really shifted. Hard to say what effect that has on a fully fit Wines.

Cheers for the info. The thing that makes me hesitant is that Rozee and Butters have taken the car keys in the Port midfield over the last year, and they've also heavily invested in Horne-Francis, so the balance of power in their midfield has really shifted. Hard to say what effect that has on a fully fit Wines.

Wines still had 50% CBA last season which should be enough to post a good score as long as he’s fit again. He just couldn’t move last year and really shouldn’t have been playing at all.

I think he will get just as much of the pie as those others as they all rotate between themselves. The main question though is where is his secondary position? Butters, Rozee and JHF can all be dangerous forward. Wines less so so I don’t really know where that secondary position for him will be.

But that’s the issue with all these 3 guys at this price. All of them have somewhat uncertainty around their position as they drop down the pecking order.

Same 3 I’ve been trying to split. Odds are I’ll end up with the worst of the lot anyway.
Let us know which way you go then, so the rest of us choose between the other two;)

There are some big, even specular drops in price from last year's starting price. Walsh, Miller, Macrae, Dunkley, T.Mitchell, Neale, Steele, JKelly, Short, Parker. Even Taranto is a big drop if you compare to what he reached last season.

Wine's drop looks persistent:

1703982318369.png
Simpkin on the other hand could be a one off:
1703982442997.png

Granted he is a year old than Wines, but Tom Mitchell (former pig) looks better for the same money:
1703982675488.png
At 26 years, Simpkin looks the most likely to have the best return on $$$$

Last edited:
Wines still had 50% CBA last season which should be enough to post a good score as long as he’s fit again. He just couldn’t move last year and really shouldn’t have been playing at all.

I think he will get just as much of the pie as those others as they all rotate between themselves. The main question though is where is his secondary position? Butters, Rozee and JHF can all be dangerous forward. Wines less so so I don’t really know where that secondary position for him will be.

But that’s the issue with all these 3 guys at this price. All of them have somewhat uncertainty around their position as they drop down the pecking order.
Wines was going to the bench on the games I saw. I guess look at his TOG to see if that is dropping too.

The main thing working in Wines' favour is that Port are in 'win now' mode but he fell out of the midfield rotation with Horne-Francis the primary beneficiary. I've been looking at JHF as a value option this year as I would expect that trend to continue rather than Port looking back to Wines.

This is also why I don't understand the Crouch love at Adelaide. Aging former elite level mid finds form at the pointy end of the season but the Crows are further away from a flag than Port are. They need to be prioritising Rachele and Rankine over Crouch more than Port need to be prioritising Rozee, Butters and Horne-Francis over Wines. If numbers are anything to go by, I'd expect to see more of Harry Schoenberg than Crouch.

This is also why I don't understand the Crouch love at Adelaide. Aging former elite level mid finds form at the pointy end of the season but the Crows are further away from a flag than Port are. They need to be prioritising Rachele and Rankine over Crouch more than Port need to be prioritising Rozee, Butters and Horne-Francis over Wines. If numbers are anything to go by, I'd expect to see more of Harry Schoenberg than Crouch.
You are echoing the thoughts of the ADEL Board

All hell will break loose if Pedlar, Rachelle, and Rankine don’t get significant more Mid minutes

That said, there’s still a ???? on Rachele’s aerobic capacity to play significant mid time

You are echoing the thoughts of the ADEL Board

All hell will break loose if Pedlar, Rachelle, and Rankine don’t get significant more Mid minutes

That said, there’s still a ???? on Rachele’s aerobic capacity to play significant mid time
I forgot about Pedlar. Also, what happened to Sam Berry?

I forgot about Pedlar. Also, what happened to Sam Berry?
Berry is trading really well, however he’s a K-Mart version of Pedlar …. who the club primarily sees as a Mid

Berry will have to wait for injury opportunities IMO ….. Nankervis looking at a potential Wing role, has it all to be a good AFL Player

it’ll be a battle between Rachel’s and Rankine over mid minutes

2022 = 19 games on/over 74% TOG, 10 games on/over 82% TOG
2023 = 10 games on/over 74% TOG, 0 games on/over 82% TOG
OK, what I thought. Thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams 2024 Fantasy Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back