List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

And they have Leo Lombard next draft, who is a Touk Miller clone.
Come on down Jake Rogers then to Brisvegas ;)

Seriously though, Gold Coast are gonna have a stacked lineup in the next 12-18 months but at least we will hopefully have some future academy and F/S players again next year and beyond.

Seriously though, Gold Coast are gonna have a stacked lineup in the next 12-18 months but at least we will hopefully have some future academy and F/S players again next year and beyond.
Just waiting to see what the academy/father son rule changes will be in the future.

Our luck, they’ll be introduced before next years draft.

It’s gonna sting if they win a GF before we do after this window we’re slowly squandering. Better get on in 24 because it’s just about done unless our list management team bring in some guns to replace our current ones.

It’s gonna sting if they win a GF before we do after this window we’re slowly squandering. Better get on in 24 because it’s just about done unless our list management team bring in some guns to replace our current ones.

shocked chicken little GIF

Ah so 'Plays golf off 4 or 5.' is that same as saying someone has a handicap of 4 or 5?

I have a bunch more newbie questions in my brain right now but will stop derailing the thread now (I am sure if I went to wiki and looked up golf handicap etc I would find more information than I wanted there :) )
As a golfer myself who played against a bloke yesterday who plays off 4, the kid can play. Something like 95% of golfers world wide don't beat 100, anybody the plays off less than 5 practices regularly and has skills and great concentration. 4 or 5 over par means they make just 1 or 2 small mistake each round, so out of the 76 shots a round they take, just 2 of those shots and the recovery is a bit wayward. If you take the PGA in America the very best drivers of the ball land on 72% of fairways, what makes those Pros great is their ability to concentrate and recover without getting flustered. A low handicap is about talent and practice but more so, given 18 hols off golf takes about 4 hours 20 minutes to play, a low handicap is the ability to switch on for around 26 seconds to line up and play a shot then switch off again while you walk to your next shot.

I'm not sure which skills are transferrable to the footy field, maybe discipline and focus and not getting flustered when things don't go right.

As a golfer myself who played against a bloke yesterday who plays off 4, the kid can play. Something like 95% of golfers world wide don't beat 100, anybody the plays off less than 5 practices regularly and has skills and great concentration. 4 or 5 over par means they make just 1 or 2 small mistake each round, so out of the 76 shots a round they take, just 2 of those shots and the recovery is a bit wayward. If you take the PGA in America the very best drivers of the ball land on 72% of fairways, what makes those Pros great is their ability to concentrate and recover without getting flustered. A low handicap is about talent and practice but more so, given 18 hols off golf takes about 4 hours 20 minutes to play, a low handicap is the ability to switch on for around 26 seconds to line up and play a shot then switch off again while you walk to your next shot.

I'm not sure which skills are transferrable to the footy field, maybe discipline and focus and not getting flustered when things don't go right.
Sounds a lot like cricket actually with regards to being able to switch off and on again when needed, and put past misdeeds aside.

I think the last time I played golf my score would have been closer to 200 than 100 😂

Sounds a lot like cricket actually with regards to being able to switch off and on again when needed, and put past misdeeds aside.

I think the last time I played golf my score would have been closer to 200 than 100 😂
Sounds like me. I swear my golf game especially driving is going backwards as I get older. On the other hand my short game and putting is probably better than ever. Might just stick to mini golf - its more my level

BRISBANE LIONS:

Picks: 30, 39, 51, 54, 67, 97

What they will need to accomplish:

Brisbane are one of those teams who have done a phenomenal job in constructing its list, so there’s not really much to comment on in terms of immediate need.

What the Lions will do instead is try to find the gems in the draft. Could they trade up in the top 20? It’s not impossible, and neither is the idea of trading out into the 2024 draft for Levi Ashcroft bid matching purposes. But Brisbane probably will just look for high upside in the draft with such a relatively weak draft.

They don’t have to draft players with the view of seeing them play in Round 1, so I would expect a good blend of players in terms of position. To that end, I’ve selected some later round prospects who I believe have some excellent upside and would be well suited to a team that bring them along slowly. I could see them taking three, possibly four players.

#30: Archie Roberts, Defender, Sandringham, 184cm/77kg
#39: Ashton Moir, Forward, Glenelg, 187cm/85kg
#51: Will Patton, Defender, West Adelaide, 192cm/79kg
#54: Pass
#67: Pass
#97: Pass

#30: Archie Roberts, Defender, Sandringham, 184cm/77kg
#39: Ashton Moir, Forward, Glenelg, 187cm/85kg
#51: Will Patton, Defender, West Adelaide, 192cm/79kg
#54: Pass
#67: Pass
#97: Pass
Sizeable fall for Roberts, who Rookie Me Central have in their top 20. Even though we don't need a half back flanker he looks talented. As does Moir, I'm perfectly happy taking the risk on him. Don't know much about Patton but I suppose we'll need a Lester/Gardiner replacement eventually.

Sizeable fall for Roberts, who Rookie Me Central have in their top 20. Even though we don't need a half back flanker he looks talented. As does Moir, I'm perfectly happy taking the risk on him. Don't know much about Patton but I suppose we'll need a Lester/Gardiner replacement eventually.
Moir is the ultimate high risk, high reward, low chance to succeed type player.

I’m somewhat conflicted on our current draft hand.

There will be some decent kids available at our first couple of picks, but just no KPP’s I’m high on in that range, unless we want to grab a ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moir is the ultimate high risk, high reward, low chance to succeed type player.

I’m somewhat conflicted on our current draft hand.

There will be some decent kids available at our first couple of picks, but just no KPP’s I’m high on in that range, unless we want to grab a ruck.
Do we absolutely need a KPP this year? Can it wait a couple of years?

I believe we need at least a genuine KPF to start developing.
Don’t think our club will draft that with their first pick in Pick 30 (unless he is still best available) but will probably draft a KPF with Pick 39 or 51, as been mentioned frequently on here.

Obviously there has been so many names thrown around with our draft picks, but found this QLD player that we could draft with our final pick especially if Patrick Snell got picked up elsewhere.

Could be a long-term defender for us in mould of the Doedee / Gardiner but is part of the Gold Coast academy, which could require bidding on him sooner rather than later (if we want him badly).

But given there is no talk of Gold Coast taking him at the draft given the talk of those other players, wouldn’t be the worst option to draft him as defence depth for us and given he’s a local, wouldn’t be homesick as such.

Luke Lloyd !!
Big fan !! :D
My concerns with Lloyd, at AFL level, are the same as I have with Logan Morris and Will Brown.

Third tall height, but slow.

We were frustrated with Gunston, because he had lost any semblance of speed, and lacked any ability to apply defensive pressure if the ball was turned over in our forward 50.

I’m a fan of all three, and have given all three genuine consideration, but wouldn’t draft them purely on my concerns about their ability to genuinely impact at senior level, when the game is so focused on speed and locking the ball in your forward 50.

Don’t think our club will draft that with their first pick in Pick 30 (unless he is still best available) but will probably draft a KPF with Pick 39 or 51, as been mentioned frequently on here.

Obviously there has been so many names thrown around with our draft picks, but found this QLD player that we could draft with our final pick especially if Patrick Snell got picked up elsewhere.

Could be a long-term defender for us in mould of the Doedee / Gardiner but is part of the Gold Coast academy, which could require bidding on him sooner rather than later (if we want him badly).

But given there is no talk of Gold Coast taking him at the draft given the talk of those other players, wouldn’t be the worst option to draft him as defence depth for us and given he’s a local, wouldn’t be homesick as such.

30 and 39, I would be going best available, and most likely a small forward, flanker or a wing. Unless the club have questions on Lane’s and Smith’s likelihood of making the grade, then I might consider one of the rucks if they slide a little (particularly like Mitch Edwards).

I just don’t see Snell being drafted. If we wanted him, we should be able to get him in the rookie draft as an academy or QLD zone selection, which ever applies to him.
I do agree we really would like a young one about now. But the timing/picks just seems off this year. Im not sure if we have just lucked out in the year between the Ashcrofts or not positioned ourselves optimally
I’m still a fan of Riley Weatherill with our third pick.

Interesting watching the BigFooty draft board Phantom Draft.

There’s no pick trades allowed, so it’s not as realistic as the real thing, however…

So far, Gold Coasts top three kids have been bid on, as well as the Bulldogs and Hawthorns father son boys, and our picks currently stand at 31, 37, 47 & 48.

The second round has just started, so depending where a bid comes in for Will Graham, Gold Coast will only carry a deficit in to 2024 on their future second round pick (they hold two, theirs and ours).

My concerns with Lloyd, at AFL level, are the same as I have with Logan Morris and Will Brown.

Third tall height, but slow.

We were frustrated with Gunston, because he had lost any semblance of speed, and lacked any ability to apply defensive pressure if the ball was turned over in our forward 50.

I’m a fan of all three, and have given all three genuine consideration, but wouldn’t draft them purely on my concerns about their ability to genuinely impact at senior level, when the game is so focused on speed and locking the ball in your forward 50.
Guess we'd want a big man with speed then, like Zakostelsky. Problem is plenty of others will want him too, surely he's gone before our first pick. Can coaching improve Archer Reid's disposal enough to make him a starting forward?

Guess we'd want a big man with speed then, like Zakostelsky. Problem is plenty of others will want him too, surely he's gone before our first pick. Can coaching improve Archer Reid's disposal enough to make him a starting forward?
I believe most/all view Zokostelsky as a defender.

There’s a few fast/athletic big men in this draft.

All the good ones are penciled in as first round prospects, obviously.

The project ones are mostly talked about as defenders.

There’s been a fair bit of discussion for much of the season, that in a “normal” draft, the likes of Zokostelsky, Patton, Schoenmaker and Wil Dawson would be viewed as late draftees, while the likes of Lloyd, Morris, Walsh, Will Brown, Sam Van Rooyen, and Weatherill would be very late or rookie prospects.

But due to the shallowness of this draft, many are being looked at as second round prospects.

There’s already been speculation that the first round, due to the priority picks, compensation picks, and matched bids, might be longer than the rest of the draft combined.

For me, there’s not much separating Logan Morris from Riley Weatherill, except for the extra 6cm in height and extra reach of Weatherill, and his ability to play as a genuine KPP at AFL level, while Morris (and Lloyd) find themselves being penciled in as third talls due to their lack of height, speed and athleticism.

Comes back to that old axiom, you can’t teach height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back