List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Comes back to that old axiom, you can’t teach height.

I still strongly believe height as a metric is way overrated in draft circles. Well amateur draft circles anyway. Any one or more of Footy IQ, speed, workrate, long arms, vertical leap and technique can overcome a perceived lack of height. If you measure 3cm between your thumb and forefinger, you can't tell me that makes a huge amount of difference. True, if you're taller you're more likely to have longer arms, but too often I see young kids written off because they have a height between 192-194cm.

Would take on Will Green with our first but I doubt he gets through. Best ruck in the draft in my opinion. Very slim pickings this year. Don’t even rate the back end of the first round.

I don’t think Lane and Smith will make it as rucks. Smith seems to play the second ruck role a lot in the vfl. For his size he really needs to start rucking the majority of the game. That’s where he will make it if he’s good enough. But from what I’ve seen from both Lane and Smith in the ruck I’m not that confident.

Sizeable fall for Roberts, who Rookie Me Central have in their top 20. Even though we don't need a half back flanker he looks talented. As does Moir, I'm perfectly happy taking the risk on him. Don't know much about Patton but I suppose we'll need a Lester/Gardiner replacement eventually.
That's why we picked up Doedee do like the Moir pick but he's probably gone before our first

I still strongly believe height as a metric is way overrated in draft circles. Well amateur draft circles anyway. Any one or more of Footy IQ, speed, workrate, long arms, vertical leap and technique can overcome a perceived lack of height. If you measure 3cm between your thumb and forefinger, you can't tell me that makes a huge amount of difference. True, if you're taller you're more likely to have longer arms, but too often I see young kids written off because they have a height between 192-194cm.
All fair points, and is the very reason why Nate Caddy is viewed as a top 10 draftee and not amongst the list of players I listed as potentially available at our picks.

Some of the players listed lack speed and vertical leap, which is what i was pointing out in previous posts in this discussion.

Gunston has tremendous footy IQ and work rate, but it couldn’t make up for his loss of speed, athleticism and agility.

That’s the point I was making in regards to Luke Lloyd, where the article was talking up his footy IQ and suggesting he could be a late draftee candidate, but didn’t discuss what was missing from his game.

That 192cm kid will be going up against 204cm KPDs in the AFL like Harris Andrews he will have no chance.

Charlie Curnow was 191cm when he was drafted wasn't he? Listed at 194cm these days. Makes up for his lack of height with his athleticism.
Lloyd doesn’t have that type of athleticism.

Nate Caddy does, and very long arms, but he’s viewed as a top 10 draftee.

That 192cm kid will be going up against 204cm KPDs in the AFL like Harris Andrews he will have no chance.
More likely Lloyd is matched up against third tall defenders. Gardiner or Lester.

All fair points, and is the very reason why Nate Caddy is viewed as a top 10 draftee and not amongst the list of players I listed as potentially available at our picks.

Some of the players listed lack speed and vertical leap, which is what i was pointing out in previous posts in this discussion.
Yeah, and it sounds like some of the reasons someone like Logan Morris might struggle - perhaps he's got by on his physicality against lighter opposition (although I thought I read he played some footy with Werribee this year and did OK), but his supposed lack of athleticism probably won't cut it unless he can improve in that regard..

The fun of being a part-time (and the definition of that can vary too) draft watcher is imagining how these kids might fit into your club, or more holistically trying to predict how they might develop over time in the AFL system. But there is a tendency to those same watchers to think they know more than they do. They generally don't get the opportunity to talk to those kids, their families and often their coaches to get to know some of those intangibles.

Would take on Will Green with our first but I doubt he gets through. Best ruck in the draft in my opinion. Very slim pickings this year. Don’t even rate the back end of the first round.

I don’t think Lane and Smith will make it as rucks. Smith seems to play the second ruck role a lot in the vfl. For his size he really needs to start rucking the majority of the game. That’s where he will make it if he’s good enough. But from what I’ve seen from both Lane and Smith in the ruck I’m not that confident.
Pretty sure the club intends Smith to be our next KPF/part-time ruck at this stage rather than a full time ruck. Lane is more a pure ruck - he looked promising at stages last year but was fairly anonymous in the games I saw this year unfortunately. Still early days for him though.

Yeah, and it sounds like some of the reasons someone like Logan Morris might struggle - perhaps he's got by on his physicality against lighter opposition (although I thought I read he played some footy with Werribee this year and did OK), but his supposed lack of athleticism probably won't cut it unless he can improve in that regard..

The fun of being a part-time (and the definition of that can vary too) draft watcher is imagining how these kids might fit into your club, or more holistically trying to predict how they might develop over time in the AFL system. But there is a tendency to those same watchers to think they know more than they do. They generally don't get the opportunity to talk to those kids, their families and often their coaches to get to know some of those intangibles.
I don’t know anything about these kids.

I’m looking purely at how they have performed on the field in the last 12 to 24 months, and projecting that to AFL level.

NamePositionAgeHeightMassArmHandRunVJ_L
Edwards, MitchellRuck18.4206.289.092.026.894
Goad, TaylorRuck18.5206.296.692.824.082
Green, WillRuck18.1204.192.595.625.487
Reid, ArcherTall Forward18.1203.193.593.724.481
Dawson, WilTall Defender17.8200.386.292.320.981
Murphy, OllieTall Defender18.1199.884.690.62572
O'Sullivan, ConnorTall Defender18.4198.491.591.125.282
Schoenmaker, ArieTall Defender18.8193.590.887.222.969
Caddy, NateTall Forward18.2192.988.389.5248

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are trading up with GC, we are trading up 4 spots only.

So we better be getting something else back from GC, along with pick 24.

They currently hold our future second round pick, I’d like that back.
Are we allowed to get it back? Doesn't it have had to have gone somewhere else first?

It has gone somewhere else. We sent it to Hawthorn for Ryan and they sent it Gold Coast for Chol.
Oh good.

So F2 and 24 for 30 and 39. Suns would probably think this is overs even tho they would expect to play finals this year? I guess it depends on how many more points they need/want for the draft.

Oh good.

So F2 and 24 for 30 and 39. Suns would probably think this is overs even tho they would expect to play finals this year? I guess it depends on how many more points they need/want for the draft.
I would do that. I wasn’t happy with the trade in the first place in regards to what we gave up.

Oh good.

Guarantees the Suns don’t take a deficit on their future first round pick.

Interesting I don't think there has been a single pick trade during this post-player-trade period. I seem to recall there were quite a few during this period last year.
I can see it being a pretty crazy first night of the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back