List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Accumulating points will be difficult. it may be that they have to trade one or two out to build the points.

As much as I was pleased that Robertson and Lohmann re-signed, maybe their trade could have eased the situation for the 3 kids next year. I think the other one they could have traded for points currency was Gardiner. Reasonable finals series, but I can’t see him being in the 22 consistently.
Trading our future second round pick wasn’t ideal, but I don’t believe finding the points under the current system will be that difficult.

I’m more concerned about what possible changes the AFL plan to introduce to the bid matching system after their review.

So can anyone tell me why suns seems to have a steady feed of good talent through their academy but we have not had anyone since hipwood/ andrews
Are you not counting Coleman and Payne?

Meanwhile the list of Suns academy graduates boasts such names as Budarick, Davies and Uwland. Weller has probably the best career, but even he only spent 2 years with them.

Meanwhile the list of Suns academy graduates boasts such names as Budarick, Davies and Uwland. Weller has probably the best career, but even he only spent 2 years with them.
Fletcher more recently.

our academy has been fairly productive. just because we have not had 3 first round picks in one draft does not mean gold coast's is suddenly better. i would also suggest brisbane have been better at hiding how good their prospects are from other clubs than the other academies.

would you rather be drafting harris andrews in the third round or have a bid come at pick 2?

Yeah, people go overboard with Suns academy just because of 4 kids this year. Lions did better over the years.

For Suns, I can think of Weller, Budarick, Uwland, Davies and from recently added Darwin area Rosas, Jeffrey, Johnston, Brock.

IMO, Lions academy output beat that comfortable as all are best 22 (Andrews, Hipwood, Payne, Coleman, Fletcher) while most on Suns list are just potential.

Looking at future, it does look like more good kids are coming through both academies.

Yeah, people go overboard with Suns academy just because of 4 kids this year. Lions did better over the years.

For Suns, I can think of Weller, Budarick, Uwland, Davies and from recently added Darwin area Rosas, Jeffrey, Johnston, Brock.

IMO, Lions academy output beat that comfortable as all are best 22 (Andrews, Hipwood, Payne, Coleman, Fletcher) while most on Suns list are just potential.

Looking at future, it does look like more good kids are coming through both academies.
There is no doubt that the matching process for academy bids will be toughened up, wouldn't be surprised if the discount went altogether and/or you had to have a selection in the 1st round to match a 1st round bid.

our academy has been fairly productive. just because we have not had 3 first round picks in one draft does not mean gold coast's is suddenly better. i would also suggest brisbane have been better at hiding how good their prospects are from other clubs than the other academies.

would you rather be drafting harris andrews in the third round or have a bid come at pick 2?

To be fair, the Academy "hid" Harris only insomuch as they didn't really know about him until Aspley told them to when he was 17.

There is no doubt that the matching process for academy bids will be toughened up, wouldn't be surprised if the discount went altogether and/or you had to have a selection in the 1st round to match a 1st round bid.
Yeah, some changes most probably coming. I still think AFL will make only minor changes and preserve most of North academy advantages. AFL wants to keep them.

To be fair, if Lions were in Suns situation in this draft, they would be able to match only one first round bid. So Read, Rogers and even probably Graham would end up with other teams. I am sure VFL supporters would not complain about it as they don't complain about F/S.

Suns will have 5 drafted this year, not just the big 4.

Williams will get rookied somewhere as well.

Pretty good haul.

Lions in 2024 might see Gillett, Marshall and Gilder drafted. Though Gillett and Marshall are a bit overrated.

Suns have Lombard as a complete lock

2025 draft, both academies are very very well stocked.

Suns will have 5 drafted this year, not just the big 4.

Williams will get rookied somewhere as well.

Pretty good haul.

Lions in 2024 might see Gillett, Marshall and Gilder drafted. Though Gillett and Marshall are a bit overrated.

Suns have Lombard as a complete lock

2025 draft, both academies are very very well stocked.
Are you bullish on Gilder? You think he is a potential 1st round talent and what position do you see him playing early at AFL level if he gets a go?

I am very bullish on him, but he needs a big year next year as he didn't show enough in the talent league or QLD u17 team to get as high up on the radar as he probably should be.

End of the day, the kid can serously play - but he needs to show it when the right people are watching, which I don't think he has done yet.

On talent, I think he end of first round, maybe 2nd round.

Right now, I'd say he is 50/50 to be drafted at all, so 2024 needs to be big for him

I did post during the year some names/numbers of academy recruits over the years and counting the number of kids that played at least 1 AFL game from all four northern clubs we actually had done the best or second best.

We may not have had many absolute high draft picks like the other clubs (Mills, Heeney, Hopper, Green, Walter, etc) but we seem to pump out more mid to late general talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am very bullish on him, but he needs a big year next year as he didn't show enough in the talent league or QLD u17 team to get as high up on the radar as he probably should be.

End of the day, the kid can serously play - but he needs to show it when the right people are watching, which I don't think he has done yet.

On talent, I think he end of first round, maybe 2nd round.

Right now, I'd say he is 50/50 to be drafted at all, so 2024 needs to be big for him

Much better to show enough when only we are watching.

Thanks guys nothing to see here :)

Could it be a case of the Gold Coast's academy being better at identifying talent but Lions being better at developing players once on the senior list?

JMO, I believe a little bit of the “Suns academy is doing better than ours” type of discussion is based on a bit of recency bias.

They’re academy has produced a few more draftees in recent years, while ours appears to have slowed down a bit since Ben Keays came through in 2015.

Added to this are recent academy game results, where GC’s academy has had the wood over us, where they have looked far better coached and more talented across the field.

As for Jaspa Fletcher being an academy product, I definitely wouldn’t be claiming that, and would credit all the hard work Jaspa and his dad put in the 24 months before he was drafted.

Listening to Twomey on yesterday’s show, Phoenix Gothard might be a late first round, early second round selection.

So to Archer Reid, depending on what North do with their end of first round picks.

I mentioned it in the other thread. Finnbar Maley is the one I want at the club.

Link to the NFNL Grand Final Highlights.

Strong overhead. Agile. Presents well around the ground. Good in ruck. Dangerous up forward.

https://vfl.aflmstats.com/player/Finnbar_Maley

Just want to quote this post again. Someone could take him late in the draft but will be shocked if he isn't taken in the rookie draft. The Roos were looking at him back in August. Lets take him from their grasp

Listening to Twomey on yesterday’s show, Phoenix Gothard might be a late first round, early second round selection.

So to Archer Reid, depending on what North do with their end of first round picks.
Hopefully we are after the Suns pick 24(currently) which will be the 2nd selection on night 2 of the draft to move up and nab one of them.... or Ambrogio/Conole and co could have their eyes on a potential slider from the 1st round we haven't thought of eg. Harry De Mattia, Lance Collard.

Just want to quote this post again. Someone could take him late in the draft but will be shocked if he isn't taken in the rookie draft. The Roos were looking at him back in August. Lets take him from their grasp
Finnbar Maley inspired Eltham to a drought-breaking NFNL Division 2 premiership

For the first time in 21 years, Eltham is premier.
Saturday was redemption day as the Panthers erased last year’s grand final defeat with dominant 41-point win over Diamond Creek in the NFNL Division 2 decider at Preston City Oval.

VFL-listed young gun Finnbar Maley was inspiration, marking almost everything in sight and finishing with six goals in a standout best-on-ground display.

I assume your boy is the one on the right Bruce?
Screenshot-2023-10-08-00.55.50.png

Finnbar Maley inspired Eltham to a drought-breaking NFNL Division 2 premiership

For the first time in 21 years, Eltham is premier.
Saturday was redemption day as the Panthers erased last year’s grand final defeat with dominant 41-point win over Diamond Creek in the NFNL Division 2 decider at Preston City Oval.

VFL-listed young gun Finnbar Maley was inspiration, marking almost everything in sight and finishing with six goals in a standout best-on-ground display.

I assume your boy is the one on the right Bruce?
Screenshot-2023-10-08-00.55.50.png

Nah not in the photo. He is 197cm. Forward/Ruck with an insane leap on him. Comes from a Basketball family.

I wonder if the player we're looking to trade up for is Zane Zakostelsky. There are no real holes on the list and a draftee won't be expected to play immediately, so we may as well swing for the fences on whoever has the most potential in the second round. Can't teach a player the speed and size and leap that he has. Plus he's a December birthday, which we're known to like.

The counterpoint is, Gold Coast's pick 24 is immediately after West Coast's second pick, and West Coast may want to take a local lad, so maybe we're targeting someone else instead. Or maybe we'll attempt to leapfrog West Coast later on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back