List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

if they get through the draft, you can take any of the academy kids as a Cat B rookie.
Of course, but aren't we already fully between Irish rookies Joyce and McKenna and Queenslanders Reville and Brain who are also rookies to then go with Lester, McLachlan, Beecken and Craven who are all signed up.

Others might be able to correct me, but I thought you'd could only have a minimum of 36 primary list players and therefore a maximum of 8 rookies inlcuding however Cat B rookies you like?

Why are you attacking Will and Levi, Thomas.

Every time I watch the post grand final presser I can see the fear in Fagans eyes as will speaks about getting back to work 10min after winning a flag.

1730079391338.png

What sort of person talks like this lmao.

God I am going to miss Joe farting around on the field taking the piss and sitting on fences. Most relatable player ever - he didn't really like his job, just like me.

View attachment 2153040

What sort of person talks like this lmao.

God I am going to miss Joe farting around on the field taking the piss and sitting on fences. Most relatable player ever - he didn't really like his job, just like me.

Sounds like something from a Jason Statham movie. Average Joe who has his family murdered by mobsters but it turns out he is a former navy seal and hunts the mobsters down. Coming for it all.

I suppose he did win a flag and norm smith 2 months off an ACL, so you do you Will. Seems to be working out.

Of course, but aren't we already fully between Irish rookies Joyce and McKenna and Queenslanders Reville and Brain who are also rookies to then go with Lester, McLachlan, Beecken and Craven who are all signed up.

Others might be able to correct me, but I thought you'd could only have a minimum of 36 primary list players and therefore a maximum of 8 rookies inlcuding however Cat B rookies you like?
McKenna and Joyce aren't Cat B because they'd played AFL before, but Reville and Brain are currently.

You can have a maximum of two Cat B slots, but you can put guys who qualify for Cat B in Cat A spots, and we've done this before.

However the big problem is that currently we have all eight rookie spots (six Cat A and two Cat B) signed up going into next year - Lester, Joyce, McKenna, McLachlan, Beecken, Craven, Reville, and Brain - so we have a spot for at most one prospect (after LAshcroft, Marshall and Day) via the ND.

God Levi and Will are massive high performance nerds lol.

DO NOT READ THIS POST AS AN ATTACK ON EITHER PLAYER - I'M VERY GLAD FOR US THAT THEY ARE LIKE THIS. But it is a bit funny!

I get what you are saying. Obsessives. The world needs them in every field, but they do look very different to us in the mass majority of mediocrity.

Last edited:
I was thinking Kennedy was possibly a rookie selection (at best) so I don't think points would really come into play, but I see what you're saying. You're committed to Ashcroft + Marshall this year and if anyone else is going to get a look in then it's going to be a player like Gillett. List spots are at a premium when you're the premiers and you can't really afford to waste picks.

Just on Marshall, do you guys think the AFL will continue to allow Queensland/New South Wales draft prospects to board at Victorian schools and the associated northern club retains their academy bidding rights? It looks like Marshall is a Sunshine Coast product from Kawana who accepted a scholarship to board at Melbourne Grammar at the age of 15 in 2022 and subsequently joined the Sandringham Dragons for his club footy. My club did this as well with Caleb Nancarrow when he moved from Cairns at the age of 14 to board at Scotch College and continued to retain his place in our academy.

My understanding is that a boarder technically retains the physical address as their parents while they're interstate. So as long as the parent/s don't move with the junior, the northern academy will fulfil the residence criteria and retain drafting rights. I think it's great for the development of these juniors from the northern states, but I get the feeling people down south will eventually make the argument that it's a loophole that should be closed. What do you guys think?
I think because it is better for the game, this 'loophole' will stay open.
It's good for the schools who get to say that we have had x number of AFL players come through our program including X, Y and Z. I can't see the schools themselves, which are an important part of the recruitment pathway for a lot of young players, being OK with it being removed.

I was thinking Kennedy was possibly a rookie selection (at best) so I don't think points would really come into play, but I see what you're saying. You're committed to Ashcroft + Marshall this year and if anyone else is going to get a look in then it's going to be a player like Gillett. List spots are at a premium when you're the premiers and you can't really afford to waste picks.

Just on Marshall, do you guys think the AFL will continue to allow Queensland/New South Wales draft prospects to board at Victorian schools and the associated northern club retains their academy bidding rights? It looks like Marshall is a Sunshine Coast product from Kawana who accepted a scholarship to board at Melbourne Grammar at the age of 15 in 2022 and subsequently joined the Sandringham Dragons for his club footy. My club did this as well with Caleb Nancarrow when he moved from Cairns at the age of 14 to board at Scotch College and continued to retain his place in our academy.

My understanding is that a boarder technically retains the physical address as their parents while they're interstate. So as long as the parent/s don't move with the junior, the northern academy will fulfil the residence criteria and retain drafting rights. I think it's great for the development of these juniors from the northern states, but I get the feeling people down south will eventually make the argument that it's a loophole that should be closed. What do you guys think?

It's a ridiculous loophole.

Part of the reason academies get the concessions is because of the work they put in to develop the local kids, and thats fair enough too.

However Marshall didn't even play for the Lions Academy this year. They have played precisely zero role in his development (which is probably why he is so good!). If you choose to go and board in Victoria, then you are entering that system - classic case of cake and eating it too.

Part of the reason academies get the concessions is because of the work they put in to develop the local kids, and thats fair enough too.

However Marshall didn't even play for the Lions Academy this year. They have played precisely zero role in his development (which is probably why he is so good!). If you choose to go and board in Victoria, then you are entering that system - classic case of cake and eating it too.
Without the academy he might not be good enough or be well known enough to get a scholarship to a footy school in Victoria. Those scholarships for football are not available in his home state, you're essentially denying a kid an elite education. You're conveniently forgetting that the elite schools have a huge say on what football these kids are allowed to take part in. They can and have stopped kids playing in WAFL development teams and/or colts.

Before worrying about what Lions academy players are or are not doing, maybe look into your own backyard for why your club is about to start year 152 of mediocrity. The Lions getting 1 or 2 kids through academies every couple of years who turns out to be AFL level has had no impact on St Kilda, as much as your leaders try to shift the blame from themselves.

let the rorts continue i say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is so funny coming from a St Kilda supporter, you guys have small club syndrome.

This is so funny coming from a St Kilda supporter, you guys have small club syndrome.
Nah he's cool, he's a local (Qld) footy devotee. Any resemblance to the Saints, living or dead, is purely coincidental. :p

Without the academy he might not be good enough or be well known enough to get a scholarship to a footy school in Victoria. Those scholarships for football are not available in his home state, you're essentially denying a kid an elite education. You're conveniently forgetting that the elite schools have a huge say on what football these kids are allowed to take part in. They can and have stopped kids playing in WAFL development teams and/or colts.

Before worrying about what Lions academy players are or are not doing, maybe look into your own backyard for why your club is about to start year 152 of mediocrity. The Lions getting 1 or 2 kids through academies every couple of years who turns out to be AFL level has had no impact on St Kilda, as much as your leaders try to shift the blame from themselves.
The bolded is out of line. No need to attack another poster about the club he supports, when it has absolutely zero to do with the conversation.

Miller1971 lives in Brisbane, and probably watches more QAFL colts, northern academy games, junior rep footy, and knows more about QLD kids than anyone else on BigFooty.

While I don't agree with everything he might say, I will listen to what he says.

In regards to Marshall, he's been in Victoria since at least year 10 under 16's.

Nor is he the first Lions kid to receive a scholarship offer.

It's perfectly reasonable to have the opinion that Melbourne Grammar and Sandringham have contributed more to Marshall's development, during his most important years, than the academy.

For all we know Marshall received his scholarship offer off the back of playing for the QLD team in the School Sports Australia U15 championships, which has nothing to do with the academy.

The bolded is out of line. No need to attack another poster about the club he supports, when it has absolutely zero to do with the conversation.

Miller1971 lives in Brisbane, and probably watches more QAFL colts, northern academy games, junior rep footy, and knows more about QLD kids than anyone else on BigFooty.

While I don't agree with everything he might say, I will listen to what he says.

In regards to Marshall, he's been in Victoria since at least year 10 under 16's.

Nor is he the first Lions kid to receive a scholarship offer.

It's perfectly reasonable to have the opinion that Melbourne Grammar and Sandringham have contributed more to Marshall's development, during his most important years, than the academy.

For all we know Marshall received his scholarship offer off the back of playing for the QLD team in the School Sports Australia U15 championships, which has nothing to do with the academy.
It was pretty mild, I don’t think it was out of line at all. I didn’t attack the poster personally, the club he supports yes. The club he supports has a lot to do with it when the club making the biggest noise about F/S and academy picks is St Kilda, at least as of late.
I have no doubt that the kid was talented before getting into the Lions academy.
The poster also attacked our academy and club by stating Marshall is probably so good because the Lions didn’t play a role in his development. Yet, I was over the line?
I’m sure he watches heaps of footy, I’m sure he is far more knowledgeable than I am on current Queensland football and future stars than I am. That has very little to do with the debate we are having about the so called loophole.
It is a reasonable opinion to have the Melbourne Grammer and Sandringham have contributed to Marshall’s development that the lions academy considering he is a border but that doesn’t change the fact he was in the academy which may have helped him earn a scholarship to the school and enhanced his ability in the short time he was there.
Should the elite Melbourne schools offer scholarships to the most promising academy kids from all states so that the clubs with academies lose all of their top talent and thus the access to their top talent?
If you remove the ‘loophole’ you remove any chance of NSW/QLD clubs having access to the most talented players in that state.
As I said, the elite private school system which I was a part of growing up dictates how much football you can play outside of school. It means kids represent their school instead of their state league club or local football club. The talent league likely works with the private school system to ensure both are well looked after for player availability. In theory Marshall could have gone home during the school holidays to play a game or two for the Lions academy but the way the two leagues he is taking part in are set up ensures that doesn’t happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back