Prediction 2024 Fixture Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

At scouts we played rustlers in the dark on an oval. Same game but at night. Had to stop it when one player left a full body imprint in the turf wicket in the middle of the oval. He tripped on the rope protecting the wicket area.
Yup, that’s how I broke my right shoulder blade when I was about 12. Red rover at night on a cattle paddock. A couple of hours drive from the nearest hospital. Ended up in a figure of 8 strapping for a couple of months.?

Yeah… I remember calling out “Red rover,red rover, can I come over.” And only one person ran first yeah? Then the rest of us? Gee I’m getting all my memories mixed up. 😂
They were similar, according to my increasingly crusty memory. British Bulldog was just a free for all - you decided when you ran into the middle. Red rover was when you were called. There was also variants that incorporated elements of Brandy and Dodgeball.

I played it under both names, it really depended on who was organising.

My kid has played it at Aussie Rules training, but I don't recall what they called it. :D
Update: it was played last night in the U9s training before my daughter's - bull rush was the name.

I am a reasonably Ole Codger and I have never heard of it.
Must have been out of the loop.🔁
Red Rover (Queensland name) and British Bulldog (Victorian name) are conceptually the same game as both require a player to travel across their opponents' space without being 'caught

Red Rover (Queensland name) and British Bulldog (Victorian name) are conceptually the same game as both require a player to travel across their opponents' space without being 'caught
Red Rover was what I knew it as in Sth Aus circa late 60's. Brandy was the go then as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R24 FIXTURE: Super Sunday sets up grandstand finals finish

ROUND 24 FIXTURE

Friday, August 23

Melbourne v Collingwood, MCG, 7.40pm AEST

Saturday, August 24
Geelong v West Coast, GMHBA Stadium, 1.45pm AEST
Richmond v Gold Coast, MCG, 2.10pm AEST
Hawthorn v North Melbourne, UTAS Stadium, 4.35pm AEST
Brisbane v Essendon, Gabba, 7.25pm AEST
Sydney v Adelaide, SCG, 7.40pm AEST

Sunday, August 25
Western Bulldogs v Greater Western Sydney, Mars Stadium, 12.30pm AEST
Carlton v St Kilda, Marvel Stadium, 3.20pm AEST
Fremantle v Port Adelaide, Optus Stadium, 4.10pm AWST

I think the AFL had done a reasonable job with the final round schedule.
It is a shame that Mars Stadium is being used in what will be a crucial game.
So glad we avoided playing on that ground this year.

Hopefully the Pie v Dees game is a dead rubber.
However, if the Pies are still a chance for the 8 they will get a decent crowd.
Someone has to play Friday evening at the MCG and only Blues v Saints was the other option.

Obviously at the start of the season, the fixture was pretty daunting, but its interesting when you look at who are double ups were as to where they sit in the various categories i.e 1-6 / 7 - 12 / 13 - 18.

From 2023 it worked out that our double ups were:

1-6 x 2 = Collingwood & GWS
7-12 x 3 = Melbourne & Adelaide & Saints
13-18 x 1 = Gold Coast

As its worked out in 2024 with two rounds to go:

1-6 x 1 = GWS
7-12 x 2 = Collingwood & Gold Coast
13-18 x 3 = Melbourne & Adelaide & Saints

Last edited:
Obviously at the start of the season, the fixture was pretty daunting, but its interesting when you look at who are double ups were as to where they sit in the various categories i.e 1-6 / 7 - 12 / 13 - 18.

From 2023 it worked out that our double ups were:

1-6 x 2 = Collingwood & GWS
7-12 x 2 = Melbourne & Adelaide
13-18 x 1 = Gold Coast

As its worked out in 2024 with two rounds to go:

1-6 x 1 = GWS
7-12 x 2 = Collingwood & Gold Coast
13-18 x 1 = Melbourne & Adelaide
23 games means 6 double ups does it not?

An annoyance that impacts season 25 which I’ve just realised is that the Saints win today now means they knock the Suns out of twelfth into thirteenth meaning that the Suns will occupy our double up in the bottom 13-18th bracket.

Had the Suns stayed in twelfth we obviously would have got one of the Suns and teams 13-18th.

Thanks Suns, you incompetent twats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2024 Fixture Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back