Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So this is a thing they are discussing now.

Can see it now, AFL 2026 Premiership Season Participation Medal.
Unfortunately not something we've had to worry about for a while, or are likely to be too concerned with in the near future. :sadv1:

Unfortunately not something we've had to worry about for a while, or are likely to be too concerned with in the near future. :sadv1:

But surely losing teams players should also get a medal.
The premiership team would look pretty stupid if they had no-one to beat.

Give medals to those Premiership playing players on the ground after the suren .... then give medals to the players who have played in 6 or 8 (?) senior matches during the year behind the scenes .... they contributed a fair whack during the season so why not ..... they can present the medals to them at a Club Premiership celebration function in front of the fans ..... sorted

Give medals to those Premiership playing players on the ground after the suren .... then give medals to the players who have played in 6 or 8 (?) senior matches during the year behind the scenes .... they contributed a fair whack during the season so why not ..... they can present the medals to them at a Club Premiership celebration function in front of the fans ..... sorted
They aren’t premiership players, so why give them a premiership medal?

Do we pretend the injured captain who didn’t play is now a premiership captain, as well?

The Robert Murphy Bulldogs premiership thing was one of the cringiest things I've seen in my time watching footy.

How the hell anyone with any self respect could carry on like that is beyond me.

Joke Lewis with the hot take;

You either have good memories of a GF or bad memories.
You either win a premiership, or you don't.

Mind Blown GIF

The Brownlow is as much about popularity of players amongst the umpires as it players abilities. Cripps is a huge presence in the midfield and is under the umpires eyes permanently and everything he does is dynamic. I think they got the winner of the award correct, but its the lack of recognising the other non glamour players games where the umpires get it very wrong.

The quick fix would be take the voting away from the umpires and have other match officials who are removed from any biaises do the voting. It has been raised after every Brownlow for the past 20 years and the AFL havent changed it, so nothing is going to be altered. Everyone knows its a flawed system but the AFL arent motivated to change it.

He stands out because of his height and does seem to carry their side more than most players do.

Do we pretend the injured captain who didn’t play is now a premiership captain, as well?
Swimmers who do heats of relays but are not selected for finals get medals if the team finishes 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The season isn't just one game ... it takes the efforts of a multitude of players for a club to make a GF and win a Premiership

Does a Club win a Premeirship or do individual players win it? .... I don't see any players names etched onto the AFL Premeirship Cup .... only Club names

I am all for awarding players who played a significant role in helping the team get to a GF even if they themselves don't make that Final 22 ..... I am sure if you had a player vote ..... a vast majority would all agree

Swimmers who do heats of relays but are not selected for finals get medals if the team finishes 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

Correct ... those that swim in the Heats/Semis but get replaced for the Final ... they did their part to help the relay team qualify .... they don't get to stand on the podium but they get their medals later

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Robert Murphy Bulldogs premiership thing was one of the cringiest things I've seen in my time watching footy.

How the hell anyone with any self respect could carry on like that is beyond me.
He is a legend of their club ....his team mates loved it ..... and the Bulldog fans loved it ..... everyone else can do as they please

He is a legend of their club ....his team mates loved it ..... and the Bulldog fans loved it ..... everyone else can do as they please
They hadn't won a flag in 62 years, he had played for them since 2001, they can do what they like.
If we win a flag, they can have Riewoldt and Harvey on the podium getting a medal AFAIAC.

The players that don't play in a premiership team can get a premiership medal but they still wouldn't feel they are a part of it.

Even Bob Murphy wouldn't feel like he was a part of the 2016 Bulldogs premiership win, the umpires played a bigger part in it.

I just remembered all that controversy with the Brisbane Lions at the start of the season with the reported wags finding out about several players getting up to no good in Vegas. I think the journos were saying that divorce papers had been served in a couple of cases iirc

Pretty impressive that the team was able to put that and their rocky start to the season behind them and go on to peak at exactly the right time.

They were so irredeemably rubbish a few years ago too, they've come a long way really.

He didn't win. The thing to do would be to step aside and be happy for those that did..... not make it all about himself.

Showed a complete lack of class mixed with a healthy dose of narcissism.

He didn't win. The thing to do would be to step aside and be happy for those that did..... not make it all about himself.

He was called up onto the podium by Bevo. Was he meant to say "nah mate don't worry about it". It was a legendary moment in AFL history, nothing cringe about it, they were just acknowledging everything he'd done for the club to win that flag.

You're kidding. That guy was the spiritual leader of the club and they flamed out after he left. One of the most genuine and heart-warming moments in modern footy and you're calling it narcissism? I don't think so.

You're kidding. That guy was the spiritual leader of the club and they flamed out after he left. One of the most genuine and heart-warming moments in modern footy and you're calling it narcissism? I don't think so.

I'm not the only one who saw it that way. Plenty of people did. It wasn't just the moment... it was interviews after too. Barf city.

Regardless... Let's leave the premiership medals for those that play in a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back