Resource 2024 Grand Final Ballot | Member Information... and Prelim Ticketing Information

Remove this Banner Ad

We all have choices about what we spend our money on.

AFL grand final ticket ballots are a discretionary spend. Why should a discretionary item linked to an entertainment product be free?

If you want to argue that health care, public transport, education should be free then I would agree with you. But a discretionary leisure item should be free? Sorry, that makes no sense.
It shouldn’t be free but the post raises a question as to the charge $6 which by itself is not much, but multiply it by the many thousands who will apply, is it a disproportionate profit? It is also annoying when buying some tickets, not just football, a ticket price is quoted but the handling charge isn’t included up front. Shouldn’t it be included in the ticket price?

I am not apologising for anyone.

Let’s not pretend that this is not a transaction for everyone involved. Purchasers included. The purchasers who want tickets can opt out at any time if they don’t believe they are getting fair value.

If you really want to blame anyone, blame the afl who outsource this process to a for-profit organisation. Why would ticketek do it for free? They are in it to make money.

The afl could control the process, set up an ecommerce website and run it themselves. But it would be an inefficient shitshow and you would likely complain about how difficult the process is, rather than complaining about the $6 fee.

Welcome to capitalism.

Grand of you to think of a solution rather than state the obvious, opt out or accept. It seems the AFL, for their kickback, can set charges as they wish: Sydney swans barcode charged at $3.95
Anyway there is a whole Reddit thread of outraged punters talking about this ticketing lurk, maybe those people can be the change.

Meanwhile
Its' nice to know the benevolent AFL have provided 1000 extra tickets between the competing clubs this year. The increase takes competing club members allocation to 35,000 (17,500 each club), with the extra 1,000 member tickets in 2024 coming from AFL corporate and premium hospitality allocations.

They will tell you it is for their IT system. The IT system that got hacked and all our personal details stolen. Ticketing agents the absolute worst.
The Swans email to members says each barcode will incur a non-refundable charge of $3.95. Ours is $6.00. It would be good for someone to explain what's going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Each member barcode will be charged a $6.00 non-refundable fee at time of registration to cover administration costs.

So 90k x $6 = $540 k or half a million dollars

Seems it’s very lucrative to get into a prelim and then press a few buttons. Ah, sorry - Admin.
Sydney Members non refundable fee is $3.95…no idea why the difference!

I need to enter the ballot for my mother in law who needs an accessible seat.

Apparently the club was going to send an email today with the accessible seating barcode.

We have not received that as yet. Is anyone else in this situation, and if so, have you received your email.

Thanks

Probably more than 90k…

4 x teams x 35k-40k members at each team registering? So could be up to say 150k registrations.

Much more. To be clear, Munich was replying to me suggesting their could be up to 90k GEELONG members registering. The $3.50 for Swans is most likely set on membership numbers? Or trying to grow the game in NSW?

Who knows- But that doesn't explain why GWS members also get slugged $6.00. Because it's a small amount, most people don't care, just pay or miss out they say, and I would suggest the profit is split 3 ways, Agency, AFL, Club.

Nothing is transparent though, I just find it laughable that the fee has surreptitiously increased this year, while the AFL is back patting itself for putting a freeze on finals tickets costs. And for the their millions in fees, the ticketing agencies couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Apparently the club was going to send an email today with the accessible seating barcode.

We have not received that as yet. Is anyone else in this situation, and if so, have you received your email.

Thanks

Your Club may be different, perhaps less staff or something, but I've received the following email yesterday:

Thank you for your email.

I’ve updated your account to reflect that you’ll be applying for accessible seating in our Grand Final ballot on Wednesday.

Tomorrow, you’ll receive an email with the barcodes and online guidelines to follow.

If you need anything further, please let us know.

Kind regards,

Much more. To be clear, Munich was replying to me suggesting their could be up to 90k GEELONG members registering. The $3.50 for Swans is most likely set on membership numbers? Or trying to grow the game in NSW?

Who knows- But that doesn't explain why GWS members also get slugged $6.00. Because it's a small amount, most people don't care, just pay or miss out they say, and I would suggest the profit is split 3 ways, Agency, AFL, Club.

Nothing is transparent though, I just find it laughable that the fee has surreptitiously increased this year, while the AFL is back patting itself for putting a freeze on finals tickets costs. And for the their millions in fees, the ticketing agencies couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Yes sorry I meant Geelong members.

This ballot rego was $5 for years and they prob thought people wouldn't notice an increase to $6.

Still a bit rough there is different pricing per club.

Thanks

I'm not after accessible but haven't received any email re: the ballot. Apparently there was one last Friday and another due today. I called them yesterday and they said a few accounts needed looking into but we'd get an email today.

Thanks

Have you emailed your Club to get a barcode? Our cut off date was 12.00 yesterday. This is new, email your club to be registered, then they send you your accessiblle code. It wasnt like that in 2022, you had to deal straight with ticketek. I suggest you call your Club.

Footnote:
Involving the Clubs first may allow them to justify the Admin charges we've been discussing.

Have you emailed your Club to get a barcode? Our cut off date was 12.00 yesterday. This is new, email your club to be registered, then they send you your accessiblle code. It wasnt like that in 2022, you had to deal straight with ticketek. I suggest you call your Club.

Footnote:
Involving the Clubs first may allow them to justify the Admin charges we've been discussing.

I think he means our club...

I think he means our club...

Haha. Okay. Sorry bulldogs supporter. But the advice still stands- you were meant to register before 12 Monday. If you did do that, we have no more info from GFC today, YET, or check your Junk folder. Patience, my friend.

On the whole registration fee thing:

My opinion is you should get that refunded if your team doesn't win the Prelim. Because in that case you aren't even getting a spot in the ballot - you are getting nothing. It's almost like a $6 losing bet on the Prelim Final. And all those years of lost Prelims it was money down the toilet for us.

If you make it to the Grand Final - yeah whatever, six bucks is probably reasonable enough.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 Grand Final Ballot | Member Information... and Prelim Ticketing Information

Remove this Banner Ad

Back