List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It was age + yearly salary (as long as the contract was two years or longer). They changed it this year to be age + yearly salary + length of contract, to differentiate between a three year and a six year or longer contract where the yearly salary tends to be lower.
Let’s be honest… they change the formula whenever they like.

Let’s be honest… they change the formula whenever they like.
FWIW it's been pretty easy to estimate compensation picks every time based off the player's reported salary, so while it's a nice conspiracy theory I haven't seen any evidence of fingers on the scale. The only year that seemed funky was the Rockliff/Motlop year given the reported difference in their salaries and only a year between their ages, and that's not usually what people refer to when they complain about the compensation (usually it's the first round picks).

Losing Pez and Cumming would suck, Perryman has been uber consistent for us...is he a top ten players in our team though?
Green, Greene, Whitfield, Callaghan, Kelly, Taylor, Buckley, Hogan, Briggs, Daniels, Cogs....I could go on

It's pretty tough when clubs come knocking for these guys at those prices and years.

I wonder what depth we will go after in the trade period to replace them. We are supposedly 'in the window' but we keep getting younger 😂

Free agency compensation is Age + Contract length + Salary right? How likely is it that we do get band one compensation for either of Pez and Cheese? I've heard quite varying opinions on whether they should be band one, band two, or even band three FA comp
If Perryman goes it will be band 1.
He wont go for anything less than what would get band 1 compensation, in that case he just stays.

Cumming, if he goes, it is much less clear.

Summary:

For 2024, the main changes will be:
  • Clubs having access from pick No.1 onwards for NGA prospects in a return to previous rules to align with northern Academy and the father-son bidding system. The AFL has prioritised this change, revealed by AFL.com.au last month, because it does not want to further see a decline in diverse and Indigenous talent.
  • The AFL will also continue to run its review on changing the NGA zones ahead of Tasmania's entrance into the game and the required eligibility and sign-up process for NGA draftees.
  • Free agency compensation picks will from now take into account contract length as a determining factor, however contracts less than two years, or more than five, will not be given any weight. The League will be more transparent with its free agency compensation formula using the year lengths of deals.
  • Clubs will be able to retain rookies for up to a maximum of five years, up from the current three years. This is to help give clubs more time to develop key position and taller talents as well as players from different backgrounds. Stipulations will mean the player cannot have played more than 10 games at the end of his fourth or fifth season to retain rookie status.
  • More flexibility in the drafting of father-son prospects as primary-listed players or rookie-listed players. Current rules mean clubs have to nominate before the national draft if a player will be a national or rookie father-son, with the tweak giving more scope to make decisions during the live draft.
For 2025, the main changes will be:
  • The revised draft value index and bidding system will be introduced. The new DVI will make it harder for clubs to stockpile draft selections to match multiple bids on Academy and father-son selections.
  • As part of this, the 20 per cent points discount applied to matched bids will be reduced to 10 per cent. However, the AFL will continue to review this and assess whether it should apply to all or some of father-son, NGA and northern Academy players.
  • The new DVI will see points attached to only the first 54 picks (down from the current system of the first 73 picks). There will be more than 10,000 points shaved off the value of the next DVI.
  • Future trading of picks will be extended to two years in advance.
1722583492884.png
For 2026, the main change will be:
  • Live trading will be introduced for the 2026 mid-season rookie draft, allowing clubs to move up and down in the order or trade into the draft using end of year selections.
Also,

ST KILDA and Greater Western Sydney will not receive better compensation picks should free agents like Josh Battle or Harry Perryman take up lengthy deals from rival teams that stretch beyond five seasons, under new trade and draft rules detailed to clubs.

The AFL Commission ratified a raft of changes to the trade and draft landscape on Friday following the League's competitive balance review, headlined by the length of a contract now being a consideration in free agency compensation packages. However, that compensation will not be impacted by deals shorter than two years or greater than five seasons, with the League hopeful of reducing the amount of hefty long-term deals offered by teams.

Battle has a six-year deal on the table from the Hawks, while Perryman has been offered seven years by a rival club to leave the Giants, though under the new trade and draft rules such offers would not net their clubs more significant compensation packages if they decide to leave.

Speaking on AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable on Friday, the League's head of football performance Ned Guy revealed the weight placed on the length of the contract would instead be capped at five seasons. "Traditionally, the two determinants for free agency compensation have been guaranteed average earnings and age. They'll continue. What we're introducing is the term of the contract moving forward," Guy said. "It will be carrying a weight, and we'll distribute some information around the weight that the term of each contract will carry. It won't be any contribution of points for one or two-year deals, there will be a small contribution for three, up to a maximum capped contribution for five-year deals and nothing beyond that. It'll only take into consideration the five years. It'll cap out at the fifth year of that contract, that'll be the maximum contribution. Again, the key determination will be the average guaranteed earnings of that deal."

Last edited:
OK, there hasn't been much actual draft discussion to date. I guess we're all waiting for a better idea of where we'll finish (hence draft pick), and who might be leaving. Let's assume that we retain Pez & Cheese, but the likely retirements (Ward, Keeffe, Haynes) go ahead, plus we move Preuss on. Currently on ladder position picks would be #14, #34, #52 & #53.

Of course, if you want to append some thoughts on selections if Pez or Cheese leave ... you'll have to make an assumption of which band you think we would get in return.

So, discuss:
  • what's our highest priority need?
  • do we need another KPD?
  • do we need another KPF now that Derksen has moved back?
  • if you're looking at a mid with our first pick, who's your preference?
Yes, I'm unabashedly of the view that we need to get more quality mids into the team, and if Ward retires we certainly need to replace him for the longer run.

Here's some of the midfielder candidates, who do you like/dislike - what's your order of preference?
  • Bo Allan (WA, 191 cm, midfielder-defender)
  • Taj Hotton (Vic M, 182 cm, forward-midfielder)
  • Xavier Lindsay (Vic C, 183 cm, defender-midfielder)
  • (bid on) Sam Marshall (Lions Academy, 185cm, midfielder-defender)
  • Tom Gross (Vic M, 181 cm, midfielder-forward)
  • Harvey Langford (Vic C, 190 cm, midfielder-forward)
  • Murphy Reid (Vic M, 180 cm, midfielder-forward)
  • Hamish Davis (WA, 190 cm, forward-midfielder)
  • or whoever you think will be there at a teens pick or wherever you postulate a Pez/Cheese FA compo pick would be!

Just to help out, here's PMBangers draft list, but there's so much variability amongst the BF draftwatchers. I'd also invite you to check out Rookie Me Central's writeup on each, located here: https://central.rookieme.com/afl/power-rankings/afl-draft-power-rankings-july-2024/

1722590001124.png

OK, there hasn't been much actual draft discussion to date. I guess we're all waiting for a better idea of where we'll finish (hence draft pick), and who might be leaving. Let's assume that we retain Pez & Cheese, but the likely retirements (Ward, Keeffe, Haynes) go ahead, plus we move Preuss on. Currently on ladder position picks would be #14, #34, #52 & #53.

Of course, if you want to append some thoughts on selections if Pez or Cheese leave ... you'll have to make an assumption of which band you think we would get in return.

So, discuss:
Yes, I'm unabashedly of the view that we need to get more quality mids into the team, and if Ward retires we certainly need to replace him for the longer run.

Here's some of the midfielder candidates, who do you like/dislike - what's your order of preference?
  • or whoever you think will be there at a teens pick or wherever you postulate a Pez/Cheese FA compo pick would be!

Just to help out, here's PMBangers draft list, but there's so much variability amongst the BF draftwatchers. I'd also invite you to check out Rookie Me Central's writeup on each, located here: https://central.rookieme.com/afl/power-rankings/afl-draft-power-rankings-july-2024/

View attachment 2066470
I'd almost guarantee Hotton if he lasts, screams Caruso pick. Him, along with Gross, Reid and Berry would be fantastic additions to the Green/ Finn mix, although Reid's acceleration may make consistent stoppage impact difficult/ see him more as a winger long term

I'd almost guarantee Hotton if he lasts, screams Caruso pick. Him, along with Gross, Reid and Berry would be fantastic additions to the Green/ Finn mix, although Reid's acceleration may make consistent stoppage impact difficult/ see him more as a winger long term
No love for Langford? I know you have him lower than many, and I think your question mark is on his speed. But to me he's a bit like Pez, an instinctive footballer, so I wouldn't object to getting him into the midfield rotation.

If Perryman were to leave and get us band 1, I'd be quite comfortable in going Langford & Hotton, as two forward-mids with distinctly different qualities.

So, discuss:

View attachment 2066470
I think a midfielder is probably best fit for our first pick
I don't think we are as thin there as others do though.
I think McMullen is looking more a midfielder as time goes on.
I like what I have seen from Rowsten and have confidence in Leake. Also see our small forwards running through there more often moving forward.

No love for Langford? I know you have him lower than many, and I think your question mark is on his speed. But to me he's a bit like Pez, an instinctive footballer, so I wouldn't object to getting him into the midfield rotation.

If Perryman were to leave and get us band 1, I'd be quite comfortable in going Langford & Hotton, as two forward-mids with distinctly different qualities.
I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a speed **** just because of how I've been seeing the draft space unfold, and how the top level has been trending. It's no coincidence that essentially every top midfielder nowadays is fast, and those that aren't have several elite attributes to make up for it, and for Langford I struggle to find what those are currently.

I remember there was similar commentary around George Stevens last year and look what ended up happening draft time, those sorts tend to slide unfortunately. If he was there in the 20s I'd be happy to take him as a potential defender/ winger, because, arguably like Pez, I think he'll get found out through the guts with a lack of speed.

I like what I have seen from Rowsten and have confidence in Leake. Also see our small forwards running through there more often moving forward.
McMullen just looks strong to me… through the hips… hard to tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ward is 34 and will retire if not this year then next year.
Cogs is 30, and seems to be copping more injuries.
Kelly is 29, with some troubling soft tissue injuries.

Apart from Green and Callaghan, our mids seems to be: XOH, Peatling, Angwin, McMullin, Rowston, Leake. A couple of others can pinch hit there (Bedford to tag, Jones on a wing, Fonti on a wing).

At the least, IMHO we need to be looking at quality mids to succeed Cogs & Chook when they retire (or degrade too much) in a few years - I'm not convinced we have the quality there on the list currently (to grow into those replacements). Perhaps Leake will be one, but I don't think anyone can be certain yet. And even if they do turn out to be good, IMHO, we need an ongoing line of mids developing at different stages and to cover injuries; it probably takes 4 years to get them to a stage of strongly contributing, depending on where they were drafted and their inherent skills and strengths.

We seem to have the KPF and KPD succession plan in place, although I would advocate for another young KPF (indeed ruck/forward if we can - I'm keen on Kayle Gerryn, who can possibly be picked up with a pick in the 20s), and I would think that we need one more KPD if both Keeffe and Haynes go, although that possibly depends on what happens with Elliott Himmelberg.

The bottom line to me though, is if we're picking in the mid-teens this year, with the variety and quality on offer in midfielders, that's where the best opportunity lies.

As I said, I'm a fan of Harvey Langford because of his ability to win clearances, plus he's a strong kick, and can go forward and take a mark and kick goals. But I acknowledge he's not quick. I reckon he could also play out of the backline, such as a Pez role (if we lose him). A lot will depend on his AFL Combine testing as to perceptions, although there's a belief he can start as a winger (he doesn't seem to have burst speed, but is OK on endurance). Taj Hotton is intriguing - he's missed the majority of this year due to an ACL so he'll slide down the order. But he was highly regarded before his injury, top 10 even top 3 potential. He might start more as a high half forward, and do we have too many of those types? As PMBangers has said, seems a likely Caruso pick. (He's selected Bruhn & Caldwell in the past; neither stayed but are turning into strong mids.) Xavier Lindsay is the other one I like; again, likely to start outside but seen to be able to develop an inside game. Good left footer - can he be Chook's heir?

Depending on where we finish, some will likely be taken before we pick, possibly all of them. There are others who would be below them and more likely to make in through to late teens (if that's where we finish). There are also guys in the "depth" category who would be worth selection later, too. But I'll start with those 3.

Taj Hotton​

Sandringham Dragons| Forward-Midfielder
Height:182cm
D.O.B:17-06-2006

THE GREAT UNKNOWN

Hotton’s place in the rankings is largely out of his hands given he will take no further part in the season after suffering an ACL tear. The dynamic midfielder-forward made a magnificent start to the year, producing games like his 32-disposal, 10-mark and four-goal effort against Oakleigh in Round 2, along with a scintillating display for the National Academy as a top-up player. After injuring himself at training, those performances will be the measure of his talent. Hotton is ultra athletic, offering terrific agility and spring in his leap to compliment his ability to rack up possessions and hit the scoreboard. He’ll be well guided off-field as the son of former Blue and Pie, Trent, and brother of St Kilda’s Olli.

Xavier Lindsay​

Gippsland Power| Midfielder
Height: 183 cm
D.O.B. 3-08-2006 (Happy 18th birthday today!)

VERSATILE LEFT-FOOTER

Lindsay is criminally underrated at times, but has been in exceptional form this year despite a couple of injury setbacks. After copping a corkie late in his Round 3 Coates Talent League appearance, he missed the first National Academy game and Vic Country’s third outing. The Gippsland Power captain is versatile enough to play through midfield or on the wing, with his booming left-foot kicking a real weapon on the attack. He has also proven capable of doing the tough stuff with high clearance and tackle numbers.

Lindsay was arguably best afield in Sunday’s title decider with 30 disposals, 11 marks and eight tackles. He missed game three but spent the carnival playing either on the wing or through the middle, able to impact in both roles. The Gippsland product also turned out twice for the Power with returns of 20 disposals and two goals, and 19 disposals and one goal. He looks every bit a top 15 player with his array of traits and ability to impact going both ways.

Harvey Langford​

Dandenong Stingrays| Midfielder-Forward
Height:190cm
D.O.B:15-03-2006

ON-BALL BRUTE

One of the top performers at the year’s National Championships, Langford set the tone through midfield with his ability to both win the contested ball and spread forward. His penetrative left foot is used to launch attacks, while he has a handy point of difference in being able to go forward and provide strong marking presence at 190cm. Langford is a co-captain at Dandenong Stingrays and has been a mainstay in the side for two seasons, putting up big numbers across the board. He may split some recruiters given his lack of natural pace, but has all the right footballing attributes and a ravenous work ethic.

Langford’s stocks were already quite high heading into the National Championships, but he elevated himself to another level having taken out the Larke Medal and Vic Country MVP. He was a midfield mainstay, contributing consistent all-round averages of 25.5 disposals, 6.3 marks, 6.3 clearances, and 6.3 inside 50s in the four games. Langford was among his side’s best two players in each match, highlighting his dominance. Another who is knocking on the door for a big boost up the rankings.

Ward is 34 and will retire if not this year then next year.
Cogs is 30, and seems to be copping more injuries.
Kelly is 29, with some troubling soft tissue injuries.

Apart from Green and Callaghan, our mids seems to be: XOH, Peatling, Angwin, McMullin, Rowston, Leake. A couple of others can pinch hit there (Bedford to tag, Jones on a wing, Fonti on a wing).

At the least, IMHO we need to be looking at quality mids to succeed Cogs & Chook when they retire (or degrade too much) in a few years - I'm not convinced we have the quality there on the list currently (to grow into those replacements). Perhaps Leake will be one, but I don't think anyone can be certain yet. And even if they do turn out to be good, IMHO, we need an ongoing line of mids developing at different stages and to cover injuries; it probably takes 4 years to get them to a stage of strongly contributing, depending on where they were drafted and their inherent skills and strengths.

We seem to have the KPF and KPD succession plan in place, although I would advocate for another young KPF (indeed ruck/forward if we can - I'm keen on Kayle Gerryn, who can possibly be picked up with a pick in the 20s), and I would think that we need one more KPD if both Keeffe and Haynes go, although that possibly depends on what happens with Elliott Himmelberg.

The bottom line to me though, is if we're picking in the mid-teens this year, with the variety and quality on offer in midfielders, that's where the best opportunity lies.

As I said, I'm a fan of Harvey Langford because of his ability to win clearances, plus he's a strong kick, and can go forward and take a mark and kick goals. But I acknowledge he's not quick. I reckon he could also play out of the backline, such as a Pez role (if we lose him). A lot will depend on his AFL Combine testing as to perceptions, although there's a belief he can start as a winger (he doesn't seem to have burst speed, but is OK on endurance). Taj Hotton is intriguing - he's missed the majority of this year due to an ACL so he'll slide down the order. But he was highly regarded before his injury, top 10 even top 3 potential. He might start more as a high half forward, and do we have too many of those types? As PMBangers has said, seems a likely Caruso pick. (He's selected Bruhn & Caldwell in the past; neither stayed but are turning into strong mids.) Xavier Lindsay is the other one I like; again, likely to start outside but seen to be able to develop an inside game. Good left footer - can he be Chook's heir?

Depending on where we finish, some will likely be taken before we pick, possibly all of them. There are others who would be below them and more likely to make in through to late teens (if that's where we finish). There are also guys in the "depth" category who would be worth selection later, too. But I'll start with those 3.

Taj Hotton​

Sandringham Dragons| Forward-Midfielder
Height:182cm
D.O.B:17-06-2006

THE GREAT UNKNOWN

Hotton’s place in the rankings is largely out of his hands given he will take no further part in the season after suffering an ACL tear. The dynamic midfielder-forward made a magnificent start to the year, producing games like his 32-disposal, 10-mark and four-goal effort against Oakleigh in Round 2, along with a scintillating display for the National Academy as a top-up player. After injuring himself at training, those performances will be the measure of his talent. Hotton is ultra athletic, offering terrific agility and spring in his leap to compliment his ability to rack up possessions and hit the scoreboard. He’ll be well guided off-field as the son of former Blue and Pie, Trent, and brother of St Kilda’s Olli.

Xavier Lindsay​

Gippsland Power| Midfielder
Height: 183 cm
D.O.B. 3-08-2006 (Happy 18th birthday today!)

VERSATILE LEFT-FOOTER

Lindsay is criminally underrated at times, but has been in exceptional form this year despite a couple of injury setbacks. After copping a corkie late in his Round 3 Coates Talent League appearance, he missed the first National Academy game and Vic Country’s third outing. The Gippsland Power captain is versatile enough to play through midfield or on the wing, with his booming left-foot kicking a real weapon on the attack. He has also proven capable of doing the tough stuff with high clearance and tackle numbers.

Lindsay was arguably best afield in Sunday’s title decider with 30 disposals, 11 marks and eight tackles. He missed game three but spent the carnival playing either on the wing or through the middle, able to impact in both roles. The Gippsland product also turned out twice for the Power with returns of 20 disposals and two goals, and 19 disposals and one goal. He looks every bit a top 15 player with his array of traits and ability to impact going both ways.

Harvey Langford​

Dandenong Stingrays| Midfielder-Forward
Height:190cm
D.O.B:15-03-2006

ON-BALL BRUTE

One of the top performers at the year’s National Championships, Langford set the tone through midfield with his ability to both win the contested ball and spread forward. His penetrative left foot is used to launch attacks, while he has a handy point of difference in being able to go forward and provide strong marking presence at 190cm. Langford is a co-captain at Dandenong Stingrays and has been a mainstay in the side for two seasons, putting up big numbers across the board. He may split some recruiters given his lack of natural pace, but has all the right footballing attributes and a ravenous work ethic.

Langford’s stocks were already quite high heading into the National Championships, but he elevated himself to another level having taken out the Larke Medal and Vic Country MVP. He was a midfield mainstay, contributing consistent all-round averages of 25.5 disposals, 6.3 marks, 6.3 clearances, and 6.3 inside 50s in the four games. Langford was among his side’s best two players in each match, highlighting his dominance. Another who is knocking on the door for a big boost up the rankings.
I think we will take a mid as well ( and should)
Im a just a little more confident on what we have.
I think Cogs and Kelly have a little more footy ahead of them.tjan others.
Perhaps I'm overly optimistic.

I think we will take a mid as well ( and should)
Im a just a little more confident on what we have.
I think Cogs and Kelly have a little more footy ahead of them.tjan others.
Perhaps I'm overly optimistic.
Happy to be optimistic, but we also need to have fallback plans. As we can see right now, we're missing Cogs, Kelly & Rowston, and we're struggling to win clearances. We're probably missing a quality winger, too, but that might be OK if Kingers doesn't really use them in a standard role.

I've also explained my "rule of thumb of 7" before, which translates to 14 mids in the squad. I think we're 1 or 2 down on that desired total, with a couple of weaker guys in Angwin and Stone (the latter might be reclassified as a defender after this season), so that's a reason for my focus on the mids.

Have you been looking at the midfield talent in the draft - any preferences, and reasons why?

Happy to be optimistic, but we also need to have fallback plans. As we can see right now, we're missing Cogs, Kelly & Rowston, and we're struggling to win clearances. We're probably missing a quality winger, too, but that might be OK if Kingers doesn't really use them in a standard role.

I've also explained my "rule of thumb of 7" before, which translates to 14 mids in the squad. I think we're 1 or 2 down on that desired total, with a couple of weaker guys in Angwin and Stone (the latter might be reclassified as a defender after this season), so that's a reason for my focus on the mids.

Have you been looking at the midfield talent in the draft - any preferences, and reasons why?
Most see our midfield position as you do. Im the outlier.
Haven't seen enough yet. I normally deep dive once the season is over.
Lucky for me the Caruso style player is the type I like too.
Fast, agile, clean hands.
Early reports are that is Taj Hotton, but that is purely me following the views of others at this stage.

The potential issue with WillPhill is that he's a one-paced inside mid with no real second string to his bow. Hence why he's struggling to get a game in the Norths midfield, and why they'd push him out cheaply. If we were looking to get a replacement for Cal Ward, as in a slightly more experienced inside mid, then provided he's cheap (and by that, I'd probably say third round pick) I'd be OK. It's a case of probably a limited ceiling versus cheap/experienced backfill.

The question would be whether he'd leave Melbourne, but you'd hope if it was a case of getting a second shot he'd be happy to.

The potential issue with WillPhill is that he's a one-paced inside mid with no real second string to his bow. Hence why he's struggling to get a game in the Norths midfield, and why they'd push him out cheaply. If we were looking to get a replacement for Cal Ward, as in a slightly more experienced inside mid, then provided he's cheap (and by that, I'd probably say third round pick) I'd be OK. It's a case of probably a limited ceiling versus cheap/experienced backfill.

The question would be whether he'd leave Melbourne, but you'd hope if it was a case of getting a second shot he'd be happy to.
I’d stick with Bedford or Peatling over Phillips

I’d stick with Bedford or Peatling over Phillips
It's all in the balance of the list plus rating of potential. If Phillips were rated to improve our midfield set-up and could be obtained cheaply, then our team would be negligent to not try to make it happen. Of course, if they don't rate him in our set-up and think a better value would come from the draft, then they won't even enquire.

If we are looking for a value player for right now with an nod to the future as well.
Will Phillips could be very handy.
Cost in both salary cap and trade value would of course play a role.

I prefer Bailey Scott, he’s not fast but very composed and a good link man. A better version of X. Wouldn’t cost much either.

Bo Allan is another big bodied mid in that early teens range that could appeal, does everything Langford does with more speed. Moraes from 20 onwards would represent decent value but I'm not a massive fan, think a lot needs to go right for him to succeed

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back