List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

James Peatling’s purple patch of form in the past month has not gone unnoticed, with St Kilda showing interest in the out-of-contract Greater Western Sydney midfielder.

Peatling polled the maximum 10 votes in the AFL Coaches’ Association’s champion player of the year award for his role in the Giants’ come-from-behind upset win over Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday.

Copy and paste URL into 12ft.io to get around paywall

James Peatling’s purple patch of form in the past month has not gone unnoticed, with St Kilda showing interest in the out-of-contract Greater Western Sydney midfielder.

Peatling polled the maximum 10 votes in the AFL Coaches’ Association’s champion player of the year award for his role in the Giants’ come-from-behind upset win over Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday.

Copy and paste URL into 12ft.io to get around paywall
It's good leverage for him to get some bigger $ and years.

It's good leverage for him to get some bigger $ and years.
100% agree that his manager has likely leaked this and is doing his job. Given GWS' challenges with salary cap, stacked midfield and inability to off him huge cash, I actually think that St Kilda would be a great opportunity for him*.

Seb Ross and Brad Crouch are about to retire, they have a young list and he may be able to get better financial security and more midfield opportunities in the long run there. It really comes down to whether he thinks if he'll be pushed out of the team next year.

* I'm a member of both clubs.

100% agree that his manager has likely leaked this and is doing his job. Given GWS' challenges with salary cap, stacked midfield and inability to off him huge cash, I actually think that St Kilda would be a great opportunity for him*.

Seb Ross and Brad Crouch are about to retire, they have a young list and he may be able to get better financial security and more midfield opportunities in the long run there. It really comes down to whether he thinks if he'll be pushed out of the team next year.

* I'm a member of both clubs.
Problem is that we aren't stacked - that's why he's getting games and been able to show something.
Cogs at 30 has a few more years in him. Ward maybe 1 more if he stays on a wing.
Green is the main grunt player and he's been better with help from Peatling.
Kelly and Callaghan rotate inside and outside.
XOH is in and out. Leake and Rowston have been interrupted by injury.
However, I acknowledge there's opportunity at the Saints.

Perryman, Cummings, Ward, Haynes, Kennedy, Keefe, Peatling, Stone, Angwin, Hamilton, Preuss,
Probably our call on 4 or 5.
Ward will be with us or retired.
Haynes will probably move for opportunities
Cumming and Perryman the big question. That is probably impacting the likes of Stone, Angwin and Kennedy

Problem is that we aren't stacked - that's why he's getting games and been able to show something.
Cogs at 30 has a few more years in him. Ward maybe 1 more if he stays on a wing.
Green is the main grunt player and he's been better with help from Peatling.
Kelly and Callaghan rotate inside and outside.
XOH is in and out. Leake and Rowston have been interrupted by injury.
However, I acknowledge there's opportunity at the Saints.
I thought the end of Haynes’s back ended contract, would leave us with sufficient $ to sweeten the deal with Peatling? Unlikely Haynes will stay as he wants a 2 year extension

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably our call on 4 or 5.
Ward will be with us or retired.
Haynes will probably move for opportunities
Cumming and Perryman the big question. That is probably impacting the likes of Stone, Angwin and Kennedy
I am hopeful that Ward will re-sign for at least a year. If he was to retire, then the best time to announce would be before our last home game this weekend so that we could give him a fitting tribute? Unless our club knows that we should be hosting a final, so this won’t be our last home game this season 😛

So this is our re-signing preferences of those whose contracts expire this year?
1. Priorities: Perryman, Cumming, Peatling
2. 1 year extensions: Keefe, Ward
3. good if they re-sign with us but not fussed if they go elsewhere: Stone, Angwin, Haynes
4. No deal: Preuss, Kennedy, Hamilton

So this is our re-signing preferences of those whose contracts expire this year?
1. Priorities: Perryman, Cumming, Peatling
To be honest would have Cumming and Peatling first then Perryman.
2. 1 year extensions: Keefe, Ward
Yes, but think Keefe won’t get it and EH will be in Orange and Charcoal.
3. good if they re-sign with us but not fussed if they go elsewhere: Stone, Angwin, Haynes
Stone I want, Haynes I would love for him to be 1 club but understand, Angwin? Ummm all the best.
4. No deal: Preuss, Kennedy, Hamilton
Preuss? No thanks. Kenner’s? Yeah I think it’s time. Love his effort but…
Hamilton? Yeah no thanks.

A year for Lachie and I’m not convinced with Angwin
I like Angwin's work rate and 2 way running. Think.je was important role player earlier in the year
I'd like to retain him as a fringe player who could end up better than that.
I thought the end of Haynes’s back ended contract, would leave us with sufficient $ to sweeten the deal with Peatling? Unlikely Haynes will stay as he wants a 2 year extension
I assume we have hard to increase the contracts of the emerging players.
McCarthy made a point of saying our cap was under control.
I think we'll be able to table a decent offer to Peatling, but he may be worth more to someone else, they might throw a stack at him.

Looks like Haynes may be off to Carlton.

GWS VETERAN ‘WILL LAND AT CARLTON’

Amid a season where its defensive credentials have continually been questioned, Carlton “will land” an established veteran defender.

GWS defender Nick Haynes, at 32 years of age and in his 13th season, is considered a highly likely chance to play for the Blues next season.

“This is what the (insiders) are saying at clubland; Nick Haynes will land at Carlton next year,” said Herald Sun journalist Jay Clark on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“(And I) think St Kilda, if they lose Josh Battle to Hawthorn — the Saints are still very confident of keeping Battle on a five-year deal — but if they do lose him, Nick Haynes could be the man there.

“But Carlton, I think, with these defensive issues ... we know how smart (Haynes) is aerially.”

Clark noted Haynes’ lucrative, back-ended contract that expires at the end of this year.

“He’s been paid massive bucks at GWS ... his last two years have been on more than a million dollars, so he’s been on a seven-figure salary over the past 24 months,” he continued.

“He’s been well-paid, he’s been looked-after, (but) now he wants the flag — and I think (about) GWS’ backline, they’re rock-solid ... he’s surplus to demands, he’s playing VFL ... at IKON Park, that makes a lot of sense to me.”

The former Dandenong Stingray is an unrestricted free agent this year, meaning he can walk to the club of his choice at season’s end.

I could see some Victorian clubs making enquiries about Wade Derksen. He is finding it hard to break into the Seniors. In the current squad he is behind Cadman, Riccardi and Keeffe for the Forward/Ruck-cut out role; and in defence behind Aleer for the next-in-line tall. He has had a good consistent year in the VFL; moved into defence but recently a return to the forward line. Contracted until the end of 2025.

Looks like Haynes may be off to Carlton.

GWS VETERAN ‘WILL LAND AT CARLTON’

Amid a season where its defensive credentials have continually been questioned, Carlton “will land” an established veteran defender.

GWS defender Nick Haynes, at 32 years of age and in his 13th season, is considered a highly likely chance to play for the Blues next season.

“This is what the (insiders) are saying at clubland; Nick Haynes will land at Carlton next year,” said Herald Sun journalist Jay Clark on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“(And I) think St Kilda, if they lose Josh Battle to Hawthorn — the Saints are still very confident of keeping Battle on a five-year deal — but if they do lose him, Nick Haynes could be the man there.

“But Carlton, I think, with these defensive issues ... we know how smart (Haynes) is aerially.”

Clark noted Haynes’ lucrative, back-ended contract that expires at the end of this year.

“He’s been paid massive bucks at GWS ... his last two years have been on more than a million dollars, so he’s been on a seven-figure salary over the past 24 months,” he continued.

“He’s been well-paid, he’s been looked-after, (but) now he wants the flag — and I think (about) GWS’ backline, they’re rock-solid ... he’s surplus to demands, he’s playing VFL ... at IKON Park, that makes a lot of sense to me.”

The former Dandenong Stingray is an unrestricted free agent this year, meaning he can walk to the club of his choice at season’s end.
Makes him sound like a dickhead, stayed for the cash and now wants out.

True - but from what I understand though, our club paid him unders in the initial years and then paid $ million+ in the last couple of years of his contract to balance it, so we could better manage our salary cap? Swans did something similar with Buddy as well.

It was a back ended deal that he had earned.
He had to wait to get the cash he would have got earlier.
I think he is going as he wants to play AFL, which is fair enough

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back