List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Peatling contact been increased to 2 years.
Cumming has a 4 year offer.
Hopefully both sign
Riley Beveridge's feel is that Perryman is a lean towards leaving.
Can’t blame him. Though hopefully we can give him a flag on his way out.

Makes him sound like a dickhead, stayed for the cash and now wants out.
He pushed back money to help the club keep other players, the money still needed to be paid so the fact that it made the last two years higher is not an indictment on him.

He’s still playing at a high level and is entitled to find a home where he can continue to play.

He should be one of the first guys put in the Giants Hall of Fame, an absolute legend of the club and I wish him well whatever he decides to do.

Why are we only offering Peatling 2 years? Dont we want him for a longer period 🤔
Tbf he has only just become top 22. I think 2 years makes sense.

Depends if we see Peatling as a long term option in our midfield.
Leake is coming up and looking pretty likely in the 2s. Rowston struggling with Injury but a chance. And then you've got Darcy potentially popping in there (drafted as a mid).
Is Peatling a guy you want to jump at as he's had a good month. I love him, don't get me wrong.

The dilemma for the club is, that they want him for what he's been doing. Playing a lot of VFL, but able to step up and play a specific role in the first team when needed. He's a NSW lad, basically "at home", so they want to be able to pay cheaper $ to retain him. And even the years of contract are a balancing act - he's not seen as truly "best 22" nor likely to get there ... so don't want to overcommit. That's just the facts of business in this game.

GIANTS UP OFFER FOR MIDFIELDER

GREATER Western Sydney has upped its offer to keep in-form midfielder James Peatling, but a rush of clubs remain keen on the mid-season success story.

St Kilda, Melbourne and West Coast are among the long list of clubs with interest in the 23-year-old, who now has a two-year offer in front of him to remain at the Giants.

Peatling has played 15 games this season in his best year at AFL level and on Saturday was given the full 10 votes judged best on ground by both Adam Kingsley and Chris Fagan in the Giants' come-from-behind win over Brisbane.

He had 20 disposals, nine clearances, six tackles and six inside-50s against the Lions, having bounced back from being the Giants' substitute for three games between round 15-18.

Peatling joined the club at the 2021 mid-season draft intake after being overlooked for two drafts then joining the Giants' VFL program. – Callum Twomey

GIANTS UP OFFER FOR MIDFIELDER

GREATER Western Sydney has upped its offer to keep in-form midfielder James Peatling, but a rush of clubs remain keen on the mid-season success story.

St Kilda, Melbourne and West Coast are among the long list of clubs with interest in the 23-year-old, who now has a two-year offer in front of him to remain at the Giants.

Peatling has played 15 games this season in his best year at AFL level and on Saturday was given the full 10 votes judged best on ground by both Adam Kingsley and Chris Fagan in the Giants' come-from-behind win over Brisbane.

He had 20 disposals, nine clearances, six tackles and six inside-50s against the Lions, having bounced back from being the Giants' substitute for three games between round 15-18.

Peatling joined the club at the 2021 mid-season draft intake after being overlooked for two drafts then joining the Giants' VFL program. – Callum Twomey
Fingers crossed

The dilemma for the club is, that they want him for what he's been doing. Playing a lot of VFL, but able to step up and play a specific role in the first team when needed. He's a NSW lad, basically "at home", so they want to be able to pay cheaper $ to retain him. And even the years of contract are a balancing act - he's not seen as truly "best 22" nor likely to get there ... so don't want to overcommit. That's just the facts of business in this game.
Maybe 2 is better than 3 for the club, but if he leaves 0 is worse than 2? In the end, have to trust the club knows what it’s doing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends if we see Peatling as a long term option in our midfield.
Leake is coming up and looking pretty likely in the 2s. Rowston struggling with Injury but a chance. And then you've got Darcy potentially popping in there (drafted as a mid).
Is Peatling a guy you want to jump at as he's had a good month. I love him, don't get me wrong.
at this stage it is unclear.
He has very clear strengths and very clear weaknesses.
On the balance I want him at the club most definitely, but I see him as a player either just in or just out of our best side.
If someone is prepared to offer him a lot, we may not be able to match.
I suspect we offer him a reasonable 2 year deal and he stays.

how I see it too

Wrote at the start of the year that I thought we are a pure mid short and i still believe this.Peatling stepping up in the last few weeks has been great and Rowston getting injured when showing some form in the reserves was disappointing. However even with Leake coming through I think we could do with another experienced mid .

Ideally we bring in a mid for next year especially if there is money freed up from Cummings and Perryman leaving and (Fonti and Stone etc are being groomed as there replacements) and Ward retires(dont want or think so).We are in the Premiership window and while we have a fairly young list with lots of promising youngsters we need to win a premiership while Toby ,Cogs,Kelly and Whitfield have a year or two in there prime still..To me Parker or somebody similar on a shorter contract so we can accommodate Callaghan and Daniels contract from 2026 onwards makes sense.He is a free agent next year so as stated he could be gettable this year.

Swans are stacked in there mids and and bit skint for small forwards and tall and intercepting defenders.So basically opposite to us.A trade could easily be done He is still in good form too.To me he makes sense to improve us around clearances and contested ball but yeah I get the genuine rivalry could make it difficult.

Wrote at the start of the year that I thought we are a pure mid short and i still believe this.Peatling stepping up in the last few weeks has been great and Rowston getting injured when showing some form in the reserves was disappointing. However even with Leake coming through I think we could do with another experienced mid .

Ideally we bring in a mid for next year especially if there is money freed up from Cummings and Perryman leaving and (Fonti and Stone etc are being groomed as there replacements) and Ward retires(dont want or think so).We are in the Premiership window and while we have a fairly young list with lots of promising youngsters we need to win a premiership while Toby ,Cogs,Kelly and Whitfield have a year or two in there prime still..To me Parker or somebody similar on a shorter contract so we can accommodate Callaghan and Daniels contract from 2026 onwards makes sense.He is a free agent next year so as stated he could be gettable this year.

Swans are stacked in there mids and and bit skint for small forwards and tall and intercepting defenders.So basically opposite to us.A trade could easily be done He is still in good form too.To me he makes sense to improve us around clearances and contested ball but yeah I get the genuine rivalry could make it difficult.
Not a good fit. He is just too slow

Not a good fit. He is just too slow
In some ways I agree and thought Shiel is more suitable for that reason but i dont think Bombers will let him go..We need another quality contest type player especially if Ward retires/Peatling leaves etc.Lions kick straight we lose that game.Probably same as Gold Coast game ..Good test against Freo and Bulldogs mids in next few weeks which will provide a better guide.

He is a developing player rather than a depth player. He was dropped to work on a few things like a few others and has come back and been a better player. That is terrific coaching and he hopefully recognizes that and continues to buy in and improve further. Our improvement in defending stoppages is largely due to him, I think he would now be a big part of the future midfield if he keeps it up.

To me Parker or somebody similar on a shorter contract so we can accommodate Callaghan and Daniels contract from 2026 onwards makes sense.
I don’t hate the idea, but it might depend on whether Ward wants to play on in 2025.

Interestingly, there have been very few trades between GWS and Sydney. I can only think of Mumford? There might have been a couple of others, but they definitely weren’t high profile.

I don’t hate the idea, but it might depend on whether Ward wants to play on in 2025.

Interestingly, there have been very few trades between GWS and Sydney. I can only think of Mumford? There might have been a couple of others, but they definitely weren’t high profile.
Parker would be poison ..,, he’s a massive flog

We nicked Jed Lamb off Swans through DFA because we couldn't reach a trade agreement.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back