List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The other thing with Peatling is that he’s a player of strong character and courage. The match winning defensive moments he’s had this year highlight that he’s a man for a crisis, and that intangible metric isn’t something they test for at draft combines.
And he can't hang his hat on being a top 5 lock like some players do, not really ours ( I am thinking more like some ex Carlton players)

Parker would be poison ..,, he’s a massive flog
I really dont like him either.
My very limited interactions with him left a bad impression (albeit a decade ago), his carry on on the field has always rubbed me the wrong way. A well remembered example is the scardy cat motion to Dylan Shiel.

I really dont like him either.
My very limited interactions with him left a bad impression
Fair enough. But on the flip side, I don’t think a well run and successful club like Sydney make captaincy appointments lightly. Although Mills’ off season tomfoolery might suggest otherwise.

GWS GIANTS

The Giants haven’t been linked to a ton of players this year, but there are a couple who could come and go once the player movement period is in full swing. A lot of discussion has revolved around defender Harry Perryman, who is attracting interest from Port Adelaide, Adelaide and Hawthorn. Isaac Cumming is also a free agent, while James Peatling is out of contract and has upped his next his impending payday. The 25-year-old has had a five-year offer from GWS on the table for some time, with AFL Media’s Cal Twomey reporting in early July that the Giants had made their play. The remaining uncertainty might suggest is likelier to depart. Adelaide swingman Elliott Himmelberg, an unrestricted free agent this year, was close to a move to Western Sydney last year but was held to the final year of his Adelaide contract. After expressing a keenness to join brother Harry at the Giants — and with unrestricted free agent rights this year — the 26-year-old can walk to the club of his choice in 2024 without any resistance, and with GWS still reportedly interested in the Redlands product, the move could come to fruition this October.

Seems Perryman and Cumming deals could/ be influenced by a possible Dan Houston deal to other clubs.

Seems the 2021 mid season draft was the best since it was (re)introduced in 2018, and our pick of Peatling was reflective of this. Hopefully Peatling who was chosen 8th in the draft by us, re-signs - a link in an article states that we have made a 5 year offer?

Seems the 2021 mid season draft was the best since it was (re)introduced in 2018, and our pick of Peatling was reflective of this. Hopefully Peatling who was chosen 8th in the draft by us, re-signs - a link in an article states that we have made a 5 year offer?

That article is wrong, Peatling isn't 25. I think they are referring to Pez but that offer is out of date now.

With our position in the top 4 locked in, we are now guaranteed to have a pick between 13 and 18 (preferably pick 18). If Pez leaves, assuming band one compo, we will have two picks in the mid to late teens in the draft (and as usual will probably be pushed back a few spots). I'm not much of a draft watcher especially this early in the season but I have heard that this draft is mostly midfielders. At what point is it estimated that the quality 'drops off' in the draft and is there any point in us trying to move up the list or is it fine to stay where we are and take best available/best match. Also, is there any chance we try and poach a player from another club? I know that's not what we're known for and that we like going to the draft, but a first rounder or two is more than enough to bring a decent player over.

With our position in the top 4 locked in, we are now guaranteed to have a pick between 13 and 18 (preferably pick 18). If Pez leaves, assuming band one compo, we will have two picks in the mid to late teens in the draft (and as usual will probably be pushed back a few spots). I'm not much of a draft watcher especially this early in the season but I have heard that this draft is mostly midfielders. At what point is it estimated that the quality 'drops off' in the draft and is there any point in us trying to move up the list or is it fine to stay where we are and take best available/best match. Also, is there any chance we try and poach a player from another club? I know that's not what we're known for and that we like going to the draft, but a first rounder or two is more than enough to bring a decent player over.
I actually think this is a pretty broad draft crop, with something for everyone - KPFs, KPDs, midfielders, small forwards and defenders. In fact, what is missing is probably the very top end midfielders - in the mid-draft there's probably good value on depth mids.

That said, there's probably guys around the #8 to mid-teens picks that we might want, and be prepared to pay to get, Personally, I wouldn't, I'd stick with the numbers that we get.

We may need to cover a number of departing players: Ward, Keeffe, Haynes, Preuss, and possibly Pez (plus some off the rookie list). Elliott Himmelberg as a FA, Logan Smith as a GWS academy kid would be low-cost replacements. So, two late-teens and a 30s pick would be adequate to replace the others with solid candidates.

I'd certainly be happy to trade in the right player - I'm just not seeing someone who might fit that bill (other than EH) at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's reported to be a very deep and even draft class .
If Perryman does leave, probably a good year to have a couple picks in the late teens.

Here's a few defenders that could be in the mix for us (as per an earlier post of mine). Their draft range is probably from early teens to mid-20s, and Artemis probably a later pick in the 40s. I probably like the look of Harrison Oliver as a late teens/early 20s pick.

Tobie Travaglia​

Bendigo Pioneers| Midfielder-Defender
height:187cm
D.O.B:26-10-2006

GUTSY UTILITY

Travaglia has all the makings of a promising draft prospect, and has pushed himself into first round considerations. Having plied his trade on the wing as a bottom-ager, he has thrived with a move to defence this season to average 25 disposals, five marks and five tackles in his eight Coates Talent League games. Travaglia’s versatility is boundless, having also spent time in midfield with a rotation to the forwardline. He featured in defence for Vic Country, showcasing his gutsy intercept marking and aerial range to go with a high work rate and terrific turn of speed on the rebound. At 187cm with dynamism and the ability to play several roles, Travaglia is one to keep an eye on.

LAST MONTH:

Travaglia’s representative campaign was nothing short of outstanding. The Vic Country co-captain provided dash and dare in a variety of roles, and bookended his carnival strongly. The utility was prolific in games one (24 disposals, seven marks) and four (25 disposals, nine marks), and is unlucky not to feature higher on this list given his array of traits.

Harrison Oliver​

Sandringham Dragons| Defender
height:181cm
D.O.B:15-06-2006

THE HEARTBEAT

Sandringham Dragons coach Rob Harding described Oliver as the “heartbeat” of his side during preseason, and he has lived up to that description this season. The tough rebound defender is incisive with ball in hand, boasting terrific foot skills and decision making. He’s constantly on the move and can mop up across the backline, before shifting tact to turn his focus into attack mode. Before heading off to school football, Oliver showed promising signs with averages of 15.3 disposals and 2.3 rebound 50s for the Dragons. His best may well be yet to come as clubs push him into top 20 calculations.

LAST MONTH:

Oliver boosted his stocks throughout the National Championships, but especially in game one against the Allies where he had 25 disposals, six marks and five rebound 50s in tough conditions. He’s a combative small defender who sets up the play, running at 83 per cent efficiency per his average 16.2 disposals. Above all, Oliver’s piercing left-foot kicking is his standout attribute. The sharp and incisive half-back remained a reliable figure behind the ball for Vic Metro despite leaner returns, and remains in contention to push into a very competitive top 20.

Lachie Jaques​

Geelong Falcons / Defender
Height: 184cm
D.O.B: 01-06-2006

A medium defender who shows great ability to read the cues and intercept mark then use the ball with precision on the rebound. He averaged 16.2 disposals at 78.5% efficiency and 4.8 marks to be a composed player down back for Victoria Country throughout the Championships.

Jaxon Artemis​

South Fremantle/WA / Defender, wing
Height: 180cm or 185cm (I've seen both)
D.O.B: 24-08-2006

Jaxon won the WA champs MVP. He is an excellent user of the ball, can run all day and takes the game on breaking lines and delivering the ball well. Took most of the kick outs for WA and hit targets long and short, when hitting the short target his teammates generally tried to give it back to him to run it out of defense and send it forward, plenty of upside with athletic traits and excellent ball use.

Not going to happen as Petracca will not come to us - but interesting comment about our funds being tied up and also positive acknowledgement about the brilliance of our social media, our premiership window and our culture

GWS GIANTS
Another team you can’t imagine would be in the sweepstakes. But where GWS could appeal is the culture its built virtually since entering the competition in 2012 — a culture that’s been revitalised under Adam Kingsley as one of the prime flag contenders. A super talented list that looks capable of contending for flags in the years to come, Petracca could also amplify his ever-growing social media brand with the Giants’ renowned social media content — widely seen as the AFL’s best. GWS is also reportedly hard capped with funds tied up to so many stars.
Current draft picks: 16, 36, 2025 first rounder, 2025 second rounder

Not going to happen as Petracca will not come to us - but interesting comment about our funds being tied up and also positive acknowledgement about the brilliance of our social media, our premiership window and our culture

GWS GIANTS
Another team you can’t imagine would be in the sweepstakes. But where GWS could appeal is the culture its built virtually since entering the competition in 2012 — a culture that’s been revitalised under Adam Kingsley as one of the prime flag contenders. A super talented list that looks capable of contending for flags in the years to come, Petracca could also amplify his ever-growing social media brand with the Giants’ renowned social media content — widely seen as the AFL’s best. GWS is also reportedly hard capped with funds tied up to so many stars.
Current draft picks: 16, 36, 2025 first rounder, 2025 second rounder

With Haynes Ward Pez coming either coming off the books or on reduced contracts (maybe one of Pez and cheese stays on more dollary doos) I can’t imagine how we are STILL struggling with cap.

With Haynes Ward Pez coming either coming off the books or on reduced contracts (maybe one of Pez and cheese stays on more dollary doos) I can’t imagine how we are STILL struggling with cap.
Always people to pay with who we've brought in. Gotta keep that spine.
Callaghan, Cadman, I'd also say Fonti is pretty important.
I'd like to see Stone and Peatling sign up soon on modest deals

Probably not enough for Petracca though

No closer to any re-signings for Peatling, Cumming and Perryman.

The form of James Peatling had added further depth to the Giants midfield, but Kingsley concedes that along with Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming, the club is no closer to tying him down to a new contract.

"You always have concerns. We're trying to encourage him to sign as quickly as possible. He's fielding offers from elsewhere, so we stay patient and keep our fingers crossed."

Last edited:
No closer to any resignings for Peatling, Cumming and Perryman.

The form of James Peatling had added further depth to the Giants midfield, but Kingsley concedes that along with Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming, the club is no closer to tying him down to a new contract.

"You always have concerns. We're trying to encourage him to sign as quickly as possible. He's fielding offers from elsewhere, so we stay patient and keep our fingers crossed."
I had thought at the beginning of the year that we would get all 3…then revised it a couple of months ago to 2 (either Perryman/Cumming and Peatling). With the delays in signing and the $ offered by other clubs, maybe we will now just get 1 of these 3? ☹️

I had thought at the beginning of the year that we would get all 3…then revised it a couple of months ago to 2 (either Perryman/Cumming and Peatling). With the delays in signing and the $ offered by other clubs, maybe we will now just get 1 of these 3? ☹️
Or none…

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back