List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m hearing JP is heading to the VFL
If it happens I understand it.
I think for us he is more depth player with the potential to be a bit better.
Someone may have him first string and be able to pay him accordingly.
Sometimes it is painful to have to let these guys, but its more painful to match dollars in the long term.
I hope he stays, but won't be super devastated if he goes.
He has had some really good games, but has limitations.

If it happens I understand it.
I think for us he is more depth player with the potential to be a bit better.
Someone may have him first string and be able to pay him accordingly.
Sometimes it is painful to have to let these guys, but its more painful to match dollars in the long term.
I hope he stays, but won't be super devastated if he goes.
He has had some really good games, but has limitations.
And we have guys like Rowston and Leake.

And we have guys like Rowston and Leake.
Yeah, he got some games this year with injuries to Cogs & Kelly, but with Rowston out injured and Leake a late starter due to injury. So, he'll be looking at next year thinking that he'll go backwards in the pecking order. A club that "guarantees" him more time on field (and $$ to match) will get his attention.

He’s a good player and has had some great moments within games this year, but it’s unlikely he will ever be elite. If another club is offering him big money then he may as well take it.

So on Sen trade update: Haynes gone, and our money offer to both Pez and Cunming isn't even close to the $$ being offered by other clubs. But on the positive side Brent Daniels close to a new deal.

So on Sen trade update: Haynes gone, and our money offer to both Pez and Cunming isn't even close to the $$ being offered by other clubs. But on the positive side Brent Daniels close to a new deal.
I hate losing them but they are not must keep players …. Crom and Paer have money to burn do should see good compo picks

I'm not sure that Haynes will get too many offers. On the positive side, he's cheap. But his performance against Dogs was noticed by fans ... see if the clubs who were interested keep their interest.

I'm not sure that Haynes will get too many offers. On the positive side, he's cheap. But his performance against Dogs was noticed by fans ... see if the clubs who were interested keep their interest.
Someone will pick him up on the cheap …. But you’d think for his own future self-image just one last season at the giants before retirement should be the move

Haynes has been a wonderful and brave player for the GIANTs. Playing in atrocious windy conditions would have been tough for a player whose strength is his marking. He could be useful playing at Marvel for the blues. Good luck to him.

Haynes has been a wonderful and brave player for the GIANTs. Playing in atrocious windy conditions would have been tough for a player whose strength is his marking. He could be useful playing at Marvel for the blues. Good luck to him.
His strength was intercept marking and is now long bombs down the line.

Played 8 games this year of which 2 were against dogs and they just got soo many repeat inside 50’s due to his kicking.

Great player at his best but the game plan has changed now

By the sounds of what St Kilda are going to get 2nd round compo for Battle. If that is the case we will get the same for Perryman and Cumming. Those two are close so if they are both going to Adelaide and Port at kind of makes sense.

Apparently it now takes 900kPA to trigger a 1st round compensation. This appears unlikely. Means their losses would be hard to replace.

By the sounds of what St Kilda are going to get 2nd round compo for Battle. If that is the case we will get the same for Perryman and Cumming. Those two are close so if they are both going to Adelaide and Port at kind of makes sense.

Apparently it now takes 900kPA to trigger a 1st round compensation. This appears unlikely. Means their losses would be hard to replace.
Thats probably spot on and a big concern

We seem to have a gulf of a gap between the kids (jones etc) and the dads (cogs etc)

Not a good thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll be band two at least, which will be end of first round. Not too different to band 1 for us.

If we do lose JP, and possibly Wardy as well, I would like the club to have a dash at Alex Davies from Suns. Not getting much of a look in there, but I think he would perform better than his current stats show with a consistent run. Can get clearances, tackles well. Not the greatest speedster, but if he's effectively filling Wardy or Peatling's inside mid spot, I don't think he's any slower than either, and has some agility. I shouldn't think he'd cost the earth to steal away for better opportunity.

If we do lose JP, and possibly Wardy as well, I would like the club to have a dash at Alex Davies from Suns. Not getting much of a look in there, but I think he would perform better than his current stats show with a consistent run. Can get clearances, tackles well. Not the greatest speedster, but if he's effectively filling Wardy or Peatling's inside mid spot, I don't think he's any slower than either, and has some agility. I shouldn't think he'd cost the earth to steal away for better opportunity.
He brings all the Japanese fans as well

Brent Daniels re-signs! :D

Important Giant locks in long-term contract extension

Brent Daniels signs a six-year contract extension, keeping him at the Giants until the end of 2031

GREATER Western Sydney star Brent Daniels has turned his back on free agency early to sign a monster six-year contract extension on the eve of the finals.

The 25-year-old was poised to enter 2025 as one of the biggest free agents in the League but has put pen to paper on a new deal in recent days, which will see him contracted at the Giants until at least the end of 2031.

Daniels' signature arrives just two months after Kevin Sheedy Medallist Sam Taylor moved early to sign a mega seven-year extension, removing any speculation heading into his free agency year.

The pair were selected one pick apart in the 2017 AFL Draft – Daniel at pick No.27 and Taylor at No.28 – and have proven to be two of the best value selections of that draft class.

Daniels was included in the 44-man All-Australian squad for the first time on Monday, following the most complete season of his career to date.

The Swan Hill product has established himself as one of the premier high forwards in the AFL across the past 18 months to be rated elite by Champion Data for disposals (18.1), score involvements (6.2), inside 50s (4.1) and goal assists (1.5).

Story continues in link.

If he leaves it will add weight to reintroducing COLA. We should have no worries retaining one of only a couple local western Sydney products we have produced.

Surely he stays
I agree.

I also feel that he would have connections to Sydney/Western Sydney that are valuable to support our growth as he would have local connections to the community.

I mean, same with Briggs.

Fully understand that it's a list management decision and we won't keep him at all costs but I do wonder what the push and pull factors are, should he leave. Cost of living here being easily one of the biggest.

Last edited:
I agree.

I also feel that he would have connections to Sydney/Western Sydney that are valuable to support our growth as he would have local connections to the community.

I mean, same with Briggs.

Fully understand that it's a list management decision and we won't keep him at all costs but I do wonder what the push and pull factors are should he leave. Cost of living here being easily one of the biggest.
He should be getting ambassador money to stay and promote footy in the region

Given what Matt de Boer did, would we consider Will Brodie, especially if Peatling goes to Collingwood, I don't think many other clubs would go for Brodie.
We could offer say a 2 year deal, probably only $250k a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back