List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Noting that my suggestion regarding Taylor Adams was firmly tongue-in-cheek around the #11 jersey curse, nevertheless, the problem for GWS remains its inability to recruit mid-career players. Whatever the reason - and I think cost of living is the biggest contributing issue - we mainly get cast-offs. Even the guys who have been great for us (Mummy, Shaw, Stevie J, Griffen to a lesser extent) were generally in that position.

Looking around the competition, you're looking at guys like Daniels, Seb Ross and Riley Bonner as "maybe" recruits purely if they want to extend their career. Otherwise, GWS need to be in the ears of players - like other clubs are in the ears of ours - years in advance to persuade them to come to us. But money can't be the major attraction, making it difficult to persuade them.
I wonder if our loss affected Longmires decision to not select Adams.
Our loss was a reminder you just can't be sympathetic in selecting a finals team. Selecting an injured player cost us.
We ran alot in our final, but had 3 players not play 70 % gametime. No wonder the rest where stuffed.

Would Matthew Kennedy be looked at? I like what he’s done with his career. He wants to be played in the midfield rather than up forward. Could do with his contested ball winning.
Can't imagine we wouldn't, he's a local boy (Same junior club as Perryman). He'll probably get more attention and money from some of the vic clubs though.

Looking at the players who are out of contract this year, it's pretty slim pickings. No wonder Pez and Cheese are popular and being offered big $.

EH, Jarryd Lyons, Jaxon Prior, James Madden, Jack Martin, Reef McInnes, Will Setterfield, Nathan O'Driscoll, Mitch Hardie, James Willis, Ted Clohessy, Harry Morrison, Marty Hore, Curtis Taylor, Blake Drury, Francis Evans, Naoh Cumberland, Thomson Dow, Zak Jones, Riley Bonner, Seb Ross, Jacob Konstanty, Alex Witherden, Coby Burgiel, Josh Rotham, Alex Keath, Dominic Bendendo ...

Washed up, untried, or fringe players unless someone's seeing value that I'm not.

Of course, we could try to pull a contracted player ... but at greater cost generally.

I'd like to see us grab some experience to backfill Pez (presumably) and Cheese, but are we getting value, rather than trying our own players?

Can you think of any?

Getting Peatling and Finn's signatures would be top of my list. But I would stop short at being held to ransom by JP's manager which appears to be what is happening. I'm happy with the development of the list and what the coaching staff are able to get out of it. Midway through the season Snooze was really struggling and many wanted him dropped, a change of role and he relished it. I see no reason why we can't use what we have. Some slight tweaks to the structure could free up some guys. A few have suggested Ash goes on ball, it worked this year for Ed Richards. I think HH on Rayner showed he needs to play on smaller opponents, maybe gives a chance for Aleer to come in and pinch hit in the ruck. Another pre-season into Thomas, Leake, Gotthard, Jones, Fonti, Angwin, Wehr, Rowston, Fahey. I just can't see the value we are gonna get from the guys around 30 on decent contracts at other clubs. Unless it's a Snooze situation who wants to come to us, we are better off retaining who doesn't crave the bright lights and big crowds and keep hitting the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back