List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of this years cohort is closer to 'ready to go' than last years, unless we're picking 100% talls or Tauru I'd say we'll see quite a few come in and have a decent level of impact
I'd love to pick up a player that could slot straight into a wing role like the Saints got with Wilson.
I feel like we have pretty well stocked in most areas.

While he's probably too big does Buckley have the versatility to play on smalls to try and slot Aleer in the back line or does it make us way too tall?
His pace and work up the ground was fantastic this year.

I think if Rowston gets through a preseason he will be primed to lock in a spot.

Gothard will be interesting too. Found his feet late in the year and looks dangerous.
With
Jones
McMullin
Thomas
Daniels
All playing that position you'd think it's gonna be tough to break in

In relation to the earlier discussion about list spots, I am assuming that Stone stays because he sees an opportunity here, and we'll keep XOH but allow Derksen to leave. I just can't fathom that we'd hold a guy who hasn't debuted and is on the rookie list, looking for assistance with his home life - even though it hurts our depth.

That would leave us with 33 main list players and 1 rookie A listed player. i.e. 3 to 5 open spots on the main list, with a matching 5 to 3 rookie spots available. If we do get Dylan Shiel in as a backfill, then there's one less spot on the main list.

Starting with picks 15, 16, 21, 37, 52, 55, 73. There's still picks for Peatling and Derksen to come. Derksen could be quite late ... perhaps at best the #53 that Melbourne has. Peatling I'd expect a pick in the second round; could be next year's pick if Adelaide want to use their second round this year for ANB. Whether we push for this year or accept next year's probably depends on whether we have any specific player(s) targeted, because that pick would primarily need to be used on moving a pick earlier. And of course a pick needs to come out for Shiel, but I would expect a later pick to be used.

#37 is in a dangerous position. There would be decent players around there to choose, but it could also prompt another club to call Logan Smith's name out slightly early and wipe it out (IMHO he's a pick after 40). If we got #28 from Adelaide, we could either package it with #37 (e.g. for Brisbane's #18; they would then be able to further sell those two picks), or indeed use both #28 and #37 to creep a little earlier in the draft with those first round picks that we have. (e.g. #21 + #37 for Gold Coast's #13, Suns would then be able to on-sell #21 for more points; #15 + #28 to Freo for example, so that they can but Bolton etc but still have decent picks to go to the draft). Or just trade #37 into next year's draft.

Personally, I wouldn't be bundling two or more first round picks to try to move up. I think the first block of talent goes to about #7 or #8, so it would take a lot to jump into those spots, and after that there's a bunch of guys around the same level. Trying to move up for one specific kid is fraught with danger. But I'd happily use the couple of second round picks (especially #37 in that danger zone) to get some more quality ... or at least, a higher chance of getting guys we want.

I'm targeting guys like Xavier Lindsay, Oliver Hannaford, Harrison Oliver, Taj Hotton.

Notably, if we get Shiel, at most we can take 4 guys in the national draft, and we'll need to go to the rookie draft to choose 3 others. So, from our priority list of needs, we'd have to determine which could be best filled from the RD rather than the ND. I would expect a defender, and an inside mid would be a couple of those (e.g. Riley Bice from VFL, perhaps Joey Delana our GWS Academy kid).

A very interesting draft from various perspectives, not least of which is how we decide to approach it.

In relation to the earlier discussion about list spots, I am assuming that Stone stays because he sees an opportunity here, and we'll keep XOH but allow Derksen to leave. I just can't fathom that we'd hold a guy who hasn't debuted and is on the rookie list, looking for assistance with his home life - even though it hurts our depth.

That would leave us with 33 main list players and 1 rookie A listed player. i.e. 3 to 5 open spots on the main list, with a matching 5 to 3 rookie spots available. If we do get Dylan Shiel in as a backfill, then there's one less spot on the main list.

Starting with picks 15, 16, 21, 37, 52, 55, 73. There's still picks for Peatling and Derksen to come. Derksen could be quite late ... perhaps at best the #53 that Melbourne has. Peatling I'd expect a pick in the second round; could be next year's pick if Adelaide want to use their second round this year for ANB. Whether we push for this year or accept next year's probably depends on whether we have any specific player(s) targeted, because that pick would primarily need to be used on moving a pick earlier. And of course a pick needs to come out for Shiel, but I would expect a later pick to be used.

#37 is in a dangerous position. There would be decent players around there to choose, but it could also prompt another club to call Logan Smith's name out slightly early and wipe it out (IMHO he's a pick after 40). If we got #28 from Adelaide, we could either package it with #37 (e.g. for Brisbane's #18; they would then be able to further sell those two picks), or indeed use both #28 and #37 to creep a little earlier in the draft with those first round picks that we have. (e.g. #21 + #37 for Gold Coast's #13, Suns would then be able to on-sell #21 for more points; #15 + #28 to Freo for example, so that they can but Bolton etc but still have decent picks to go to the draft). Or just trade #37 into next year's draft.

Personally, I wouldn't be bundling two or more first round picks to try to move up. I think the first block of talent goes to about #7 or #8, so it would take a lot to jump into those spots, and after that there's a bunch of guys around the same level. Trying to move up for one specific kid is fraught with danger. But I'd happily use the couple of second round picks (especially #37 in that danger zone) to get some more quality ... or at least, a higher chance of getting guys we want.

I'm targeting guys like Xavier Lindsay, Oliver Hannaford, Harrison Oliver, Taj Hotton.

Notably, if we get Shiel, at most we can take 4 guys in the national draft, and we'll need to go to the rookie draft to choose 3 others. So, from our priority list of needs, we'd have to determine which could be best filled from the RD rather than the ND. I would expect a defender, and an inside mid would be a couple of those (e.g. Riley Bice from VFL, perhaps Joey Delana our GWS Academy kid).

A very interesting draft from various perspectives, not least of which is how we decide to approach it.
Great evaluation.
Lindsay looks like a good inclusion to me for immediate impact.
Great idea to try and creep ahead of the academy bid for the big man.

Hannaford the pick of those four easily for mine.

Is there any chance we trade up for North's pick 2?
15, 16, 21 for pick 2 and 25?
No way would North want to drop that far back.

Generally the clubs with the top picks only want to drop back if they rate the next X players all about the same, but then that's as far as they'll go back - e.g. if they rate the top 8 players, they'll trade back to 8 at most, if they rate the top 5 players, they'll only trade back to 5.

No way would they rate the 15th player in the same tier as #2.

No way would North want to drop that far back.

Generally the clubs with the top picks only want to drop back if they rate the next X players all about the same, but then that's as far as they'll go back - e.g. if they rate the top 8 players, they'll trade back to 8 at most, if they rate the top 5 players, they'll only trade back to 5.

No way would they rate the 15th player in the same tier as #2.
Fair point. Would we be able to push up the draft order twice? Go after Saints Pick 8 then use that to push up to third?

Fair point. Would we be able to push up the draft order twice? Go after Saints Pick 8 then use that to push up to third?
I hope that doesn't happen. I think some clubs have list managers that do things to in part bring attention to themself ( like Dodoro used to), but we aren't stupid/ attention seeking like that.

I hope that doesn't happen. I think some clubs have list managers that do things to in part bring attention to themself ( like Dodoro used to), but we aren't stupid/ attention seeking like that.
Surely we can't trade say 3-4 picks for just 1 pick as we need 6+ players to come in. Hold 15,16,21. There should be solid talent at that area. Would love for us to take a Ruck / Forward with one of those picks to pair with Cadmania once Hoges retires in say 4-5 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the price apparently needing to be paid to get 13, 20 off gold coast and Brisbane, could we look to trade one of 16,21 for a future 1st?
North or eagles might be prepared to offer there 2025r1,r3 for say 16, 37, 2025r2. I realise a strong possibility neither us or them want anything like that.

Similar view from me. The cost to get really early is too high. If there's someone we really covet who might be at risk of going early, then look to move up one of 15, 16 or 21 (depending on how far up the order we need to get) with #37 since it's expendable.
Yeah I agree. When there is a clear need like with Cadman it makes sense. But I think Caruso has been good at trading back when he feels like he can get the talent he wants.
Trading up could be too expensive for what we get this year I reckon. We have 3 great picks....I'd just go for best talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back