List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like XOH is a no go for us
I wouldn't necessarily count it as entirely dead yet. Presumably we don't want to lose more experience from the squad, but if we got someone from elsewhere (Shiel or Robertson, for example) it might crack the door open a little.

Definitely not likely, but I wouldn't say "impossible" yet.

Just saw a video going through the likelihood of trades & the Ben Paton to GWS trade came up - never heard of him. Never heard of the possibility of this trade. Who is he? Why would we want him? Can’t possibly cost us much if we are interested. But why would we be interested?

Just saw a video going through the likelihood of trades & the Ben Paton to GWS trade came up - never heard of him. Never heard of the possibility of this trade. Who is he? Why would we want him? Can’t possibly cost us much if we are interested. But why would we be interested?
Small defender and we are interested in him as depth and only as a rookie draft selection. This sums it up:

AFL trade: Western Bulldogs want a top-10 pick for Bailey Smith as Jake Stringer ponders move north

The Western Bulldogs have refused Geelong’s offer of pick 17 for Bailey Smith. Now what they are really after can be revealed. Plus the latest on Jake Stringer’s move away from Essendon.

Scott Gullan

Herald-Sun

12 October 2024 - 8:20PM

STRINGER WEIGHS UP MOVE

Jake Stringer is spending the weekend weighing up his family situation ahead of an expected move to Greater Western Sydney.

Both clubs are happy to make a deal but Stringer, who has two children from a previous relationship, is getting his head around how a move north would work with his family set-up.

Stringer triggered a clause with the Bombers for a $400,000 deal for 2025, but his desire to ink a longer deal ultimately saw him seek a move.

The Giants only want to use pick 53 to get the deal done although it has been suggested the Bombers were open to the idea of paying a portion of Stringer’s wage if they could secure a higher selection.

GWS currently hold picks 15, 16, 21, 37, 53 and 56.

AFL trade: Western Bulldogs want a top-10 pick for Bailey Smith as Jake Stringer ponders move north

The Western Bulldogs have refused Geelong’s offer of pick 17 for Bailey Smith. Now what they are really after can be revealed. Plus the latest on Jake Stringer’s move away from Essendon.

Scott Gullan

Herald-Sun

12 October 2024 - 8:20PM

STRINGER WEIGHS UP MOVE

Jake Stringer is spending the weekend weighing up his family situation ahead of an expected move to Greater Western Sydney.

Both clubs are happy to make a deal but Stringer, who has two children from a previous relationship, is getting his head around how a move north would work with his family set-up.

Stringer triggered a clause with the Bombers for a $400,000 deal for 2025, but his desire to ink a longer deal ultimately saw him seek a move.

The Giants only want to use pick 53 to get the deal done although it has been suggested the Bombers were open to the idea of paying a portion of Stringer’s wage if they could secure a higher selection.

GWS currently hold picks 15, 16, 21, 37, 53 and 56.
Media are amusing, before it was Stringer was all in and the clubs were unsure, now the clubs are happy and it’s Stringer who is getting his head around it.

I still think that we're an experienced midfielder short ... I would like us to go after Shiel or Dev Robertson still. Dev is probably the easier to get.
I can see Daniels playing lots more midfield time in 2025. Plus think of Stringer pinch hitting in there as well. This would give us an on ball brigade of Tom Green, Callaghan, Kelly, Conigilio, Bedford, Daniels, Stringer, Ward. Look me in the eye and tell me that isn't competitive with the best teams in the league

I can see Daniels playing lots more midfield time in 2025. Plus think of Stringer pinch hitting in there as well. This would give us an on ball brigade of Tom Green, Callaghan, Kelly, Conigilio, Bedford, Daniels, Stringer, Ward. Look me in the eye and tell me that isn't competitive with the best teams in the league
Kung Fu Wtf GIF by A24

Agree .Add Rowston to the mix as well.Hopefully he takes a big leap forward..Would be handy if Cogs had some luck on the injury front as him as Cogs at his best makes us a lot better.Likewise with Kelly

Watching a few reserves games last year i was impressed with Nick Madden and while i was also impressed with Logan Smith for his age i think he will be the 3rd tall even when fully developed.Therefore are we guaranteed to bid on him if he is bid on as early as the 40s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leake to half back and Ash to midfield may be a positive move.
Personally hate that. Ash has been good at Half Back and should only get better.
Leake has been training as a midfielder in the VFL.
Kingsley is all about role clarity...can't see why you'd swing the magnets like this after losing two experienced smalls in the back line.

Kingsley is all about role clarity...can't see why you'd swing the magnets like this after losing two experienced smalls in the back line.
A few of us have identified a lack of explosiveness in the midfield as a bit of a weakness. Ash could add some ‘burst’ to the midfield mix in that respect, and he’s also pretty good on the defensive midfield side (lest we forget Leon using him as a tagger). Some have made the comparison between Ash and Ed Richards at the Dogs after his successful switch move to the midfield, which is a good way to look at it.

That shift then frees up a spot for Fonti to be used as an attacking, running half back.

There’s no harm in trying new things, especially when the midfield was outplayed a lot in 2024.

A few of us have identified a lack of explosiveness in the midfield as a bit of a weakness. Ash could add some ‘burst’ to the midfield mix in that respect, and he’s also pretty good on the defensive midfield side (lest we forget Leon using him as a tagger). Some have made the comparison between Ash and Ed Richards at the Dogs after his successful switch move to the midfield, which is a good way to look at it.

That shift then frees up a spot for Fonti to be used as an attacking, running half back.

There’s no harm in trying new things, especially when the midfield was outplayed a lot in 2024.
While adding Ash as a defensive mid might help us slightly in the midfield I think his line breaking ability is far more effective in the back line.

We also had lapses of giving up runs of goals in the final so losing experience and ability in the backline is not something I'd be after.
Fonti was flashy but clearly hasn't learnt to be a reliable defender yet. Ie: he can't defend.

Fun idea but I think our burst pace in the midfield will come from our small forwards like Daniels, Jones and maybe Stringer if we get him.
Ash stated at the start of last season that he thinks his best position is at half back..I wouldn't mess with it.

Who do you think could become effective in the wing positions...I feel like that's where we were scrambling most of last year.
Haynes, Angwin, Ward, XO all running through there at different stages of the year. I feel like there's a gap there.

Who do you think could become effective in the wing positions...I feel like that's where we were scrambling most of last year.
It might depend on where we have other strengths. For example, there might not be a forward line spot for both of Thomas and McMullin, yet they both could be best 23 players and able play to do a job on the wing.

Looking at our squad, I don’t see any natural replacements for someone like Cumming (good overhead mark, penetrating kick) other than Himmelberg. I did float the idea of him being tried on a wing if they were keen to bring Aleer in as an intercept defender.

Personally hate that. Ash has been good at Half Back and should only get better.
Leake has been training as a midfielder in the VFL.

Mills at Sydney, Young at Freo and even Daicos at the Pies are examples of blokes becoming excellent at halfback before increasing their contribution on ball. Don’t think Ash should be pigeonholed just yet.
Cumming hadn’t been playing much defense recently and Perryman’s lockdown role won’t suit Ash.
We might be surprised who ends up in the backline. Thomas could be an option to take on small forwards. He’s a brave little player.
As for the outside/wing role I think Kelly will spend more time out of the contest as the battering catches up with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back