List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

So we offered Perryman ,Peatling and Cummings contracts .Say total 1.9 million for 2025.Stringer comes in on 500.Stone extends on 500 if we were desperate he stayed .Leaves close to a million in capspace possibly .

So we should be looking to extend Callaghans and Snoozes contracts and upgrade there contract for next year as part of enticing them to extend .Clubs will already be into Callaghan inparticular big time..Am i missing something here? ..This is the positive news i want before midde of next year
We also lost Preuss, Kennedy, Haynes so another 800k?

So we offered Perryman ,Peatling and Cummings contracts .Say total 1.9 million for 2025.Stringer comes in on 500.Stone extends on 500 if we were desperate he stayed .Leaves close to a million in capspace possibly .

So we should be looking to extend Callaghans and Snoozes contracts and upgrade there contract for next year as part of enticing them to extend .Clubs will already be into Callaghan inparticular big time..Am i missing something here? ..This is the positive news i want before midde of next year
Also under the new agreement with the AFLPA, the salary cap for all clubs also increase by about $2 million

The total player payments will jump from $15,022,778 in 2023 to $15,788,222 this year, before rising to $17.76m in 2025, $18.29m in 2026 and $18.44m in 2027.

Players split an additional $1.267 million per club in additional services (marketing) across the life of the new CBA which runs until 2027.

Tommo delisted by Melbourne, 31 so maybe done from a playing perspective but an inaugural Giant with great character and education.

Would really love to see the club bring him back particularly if he can’t get on a list.

Perhaps in a dual role, runner/coach and long term to get on Board. These guys like him know the club and struggles, have genuine love and good intentions.

I'm willing to bet 3 Melb based clubs will be after him to play. Saints, Dogs and Pies all need KP and would have known they can get him for free.

PMBangers , I suspect unless further players come off the list (which may now happen!) we may be looking to trade and perhaps turn two of those early selections into a pick for a targeted guy.

I haven’t followed this year very closely but from my limited trawling and comments I’ve seen here and around Xavier Lindsay seems the most suitable player from a needs perspective. Would you agree and who else should you potentially move up a little for?

I think we need someone who is effective at clearance as that has been such a weak point for us even though we’ve seemingly overcome it most games.

I think Leake shows some signs in the twos and we also have Rowston if he can get on the park.

I don’t have much time for Angwin, to me he is so vanilla, lacks agility, and has no hurt factor. I’d like to upgrade him with a winger with quick feet and a good user.

Josh Fahey has also been a disappointment, he looks like he has some specs but not a lot between the ears. His body has not developed at all and I reckon he will be one of those guys you see killing it in the twos and you wonder why he doesn’t get a game but when he plays firsts he never does it!

They seem to like Gruz but I don’t know he looked like an undersized lost puppy to me in the few games he played. Clearly a key position player needs years, size and development but he is 2 years away for mine. Is a Jack Whitlock or his brother an option?

The thing I hate about our current roster is that we have so many fumblers. Guys that have traits but lack composure at key moments, XO is a fumbler, Ricca is a fumbler, Ash, Himmelberg and Brown are fumblers. I adore Daniels and Bedford but they too can mess up when under pressure.

I want some good users of the pill that can kick into zones like a Hayden Young type, some fast feet that can pressurise and create opportunities and two way runners that can get up and down the ground.

If we bring that in to compliment what we have it might be the difference. Oh and we also need another mature ruck from the lower leagues as coverage for Briggs!

What would be your dream draft outcome for us given our selections?
There's no bigger fan of Xavier Lindsay than me, he's a player that does a lot well without any clear weaknesses that'll stop him being a good player at AFL level, he is in my view the ultimate pick for us this year given his ability to play as either a mid or defender to a high level. Personally if we got him, I'd love to see his inclusion release Whitfield up to the Wing again because I think that fixes two of our biggest issues in the Attacking phase (Quality of F50 entries in general and reliability of our Wingers). Whilst there's obviously differences, Lindsay's ball use out of the defensive half is very much Whitfield like as well which means we're not copping a massive hit in our ability to hurt on the rebound, and Lindsay is far more capable defensively as well. I'd happily trade two of our picks into the 5-10 region to secure Lindsay, that's how much I rate him.

Clearance players around where our picks are situated aren't great to be honest, I'm a fan of Tom Gross despite the fact most have jumped off him, and I think he's got a lot of Toby Greene traits in his game so who better to help unlock that than the man himself, but hard as a cats head at the contest and able to take some ridiculous marks up forward for a smaller player, I'd be bringing him in and just plopping him in the midfield group. Has some real power as well so is able to clear congestion post clearance pretty well.

I like Jack Whitlock and think he's a perfect Keefe replacement, albeit a fair way off consistently impacting at AFL level, but I'm not a fan of Matt

To me, the perfect draft would be;
15 - Xavier Lindsay, starts as a defender then moves into the midfield over time
16 - Joe Berry, excellent dual sided user with speed and endurance, mostly played as a small forward but has a lot of traits I like for a wing role as well
21 - Harrison Oliver, similar to Lindsay he's a really good user of the footy whilst balancing his defensive responsibility's with his rebound game well, I'd see him as our Pez like-for-like
Bid - Match Logan Smith, will be our Keeffe replacement long term

With the evenness from 8 onwards there's bound to be some sliders if any of these guys went earlier, so this is 'perfect' within what I think is realistic, but Bo Allan, Ollie Hannaford, Murphy Reid and Jesse Dattoli are others that could be in that range that suit us, I'd also not be surprised if we make a move up for Alix Tauru because he's a Caruso pick to a tee.
I'd also say that Floyd Burmeister and Jack Ough are two for fans to look out for or read up on, there's supposedly early interest in both and I wouldn't be surprised if we're the club leading that, they're two of the many I'd love for us to take if available later on, with Will Hayes, Gabriel Stumpf and Lennox Hofman (Saints NGA) others that fit the bracket

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no bigger fan of Xavier Lindsay than me, he's a player that does a lot well without any clear weaknesses that'll stop him being a good player at AFL level, he is in my view the ultimate pick for us this year given his ability to play as either a mid or defender to a high level. Personally if we got him, I'd love to see his inclusion release Whitfield up to the Wing again because I think that fixes two of our biggest issues in the Attacking phase (Quality of F50 entries in general and reliability of our Wingers). Whilst there's obviously differences, Lindsay's ball use out of the defensive half is very much Whitfield like as well which means we're not copping a massive hit in our ability to hurt on the rebound, and Lindsay is far more capable defensively as well. I'd happily trade two of our picks into the 5-10 region to secure Lindsay, that's how much I rate him.

Clearance players around where our picks are situated aren't great to be honest, I'm a fan of Tom Gross despite the fact most have jumped off him, and I think he's got a lot of Toby Greene traits in his game so who better to help unlock that than the man himself, but hard as a cats head at the contest and able to take some ridiculous marks up forward for a smaller player, I'd be bringing him in and just plopping him in the midfield group. Has some real power as well so is able to clear congestion post clearance pretty well.

I like Jack Whitlock and think he's a perfect Keefe replacement, albeit a fair way off consistently impacting at AFL level, but I'm not a fan of Matt

To me, the perfect draft would be;
15 - Xavier Lindsay, starts as a defender then moves into the midfield over time
16 - Joe Berry, excellent dual sided user with speed and endurance, mostly played as a small forward but has a lot of traits I like for a wing role as well
21 - Harrison Oliver, similar to Lindsay he's a really good user of the footy whilst balancing his defensive responsibility's with his rebound game well, I'd see him as our Pez like-for-like
Bid - Match Logan Smith, will be our Keeffe replacement long term

With the evenness from 8 onwards there's bound to be some sliders if any of these guys went earlier, so this is 'perfect' within what I think is realistic, but Bo Allan, Ollie Hannaford, Murphy Reid and Jesse Dattoli are others that could be in that range that suit us, I'd also not be surprised if we make a move up for Alix Tauru because he's a Caruso pick to a tee.
I'd also say that Floyd Burmeister and Jack Ough are two for fans to look out for or read up on, there's supposedly early interest in both and I wouldn't be surprised if we're the club leading that, they're two of the many I'd love for us to take if available later on, with Will Hayes, Gabriel Stumpf and Lennox Hofman (Saints NGA) others that fit the bracket
Fantastic write up and gives us fans plenty to look at and research. Appreciate it mate.
Ryan Daniels said on a podcast that WCE had shopped around pick 3 during the trade period and that they'd offered it for 15/16. I'm not sure I believe that as I think we probably take that deal and run for hills.

However if it is true, it may be that Caruso is pretty confident that we are gonna get 3 players he really likes at 15/16/21.
I love Lindsay and wouldn't be against a move up especially if we believe that player is Plug and Play like Wilson was.

Fantastic write up and gives us fans plenty to look at and research. Appreciate it mate.
Ryan Daniels said on a podcast that WCE had shopped around pick 3 during the trade period and that they'd offered it for 15/16. I'm not sure I believe that as I think we probably take that deal and run for hills.

However if it is true, it may be that Caruso is pretty confident that we are gonna get 3 players he really likes at 15/16/21.
I love Lindsay and wouldn't be against a move up especially if we believe that player is Plug and Play like Wilson was.

I think for us to move up we have to be pretty confident the player is committed to life in Sydney and playing in a small venue with small crowds. I think WCE are in a similar boat to us about who is worth drafting. Given what we saw with Carlton going all in to move up and us not even being mentioned for the GC pick, it says a bit about the draft interviews up to this point.

I would believe 3 for 15,16,future 1st.
Eagles this year and in 2022 could have done a fair bit better trading down than they have, by trading down a couple of times in small increments rather than 1 go.
Eg we in 2022 would have done 3,12 for 2,20 to get either Sheazel or Cadman for certain.

Last edited:
A bit of revisionism here but 2 years ago at the draft a bit of talk here about taking Konstanty or Clarke and 1 delisted and the other a trade packet of chips (empty) and Caruso picking up The kid with the lid so well done for that decision. Not sure on the exact order they were picked
We wanted to take Konstanty but those " cats", I.e. the Swans bid on Rowston, Caruso thought we should pass on him but McCartney overruled and we ended up taking Rowston with pick 16.
We thankfully ended up with Jones instead.
And in live trading, Swans traded out the pick to Hawthorn they used to get Josh Weddle.

Last edited:
We wanted to take Konstanty but those " cats", I.e. the Swans bid on Rowston, Caruso thought we should pass on him but McCartney overruled and we ended up taking Rowston with pick 16.
And in live trading, Swans traded out the pick to Hawthorn they used to get Josh Weddle.
Yep, Beatson outsmarted himself completely in that draft. 2 gone and a grand total of 2 games played by the surviving player picked. Karma!

Great discussion of the options for us, thanks PMBangers.

It's probably worthwhile just to remind everyone of our list spot situation.

We are currently sitting on 34 players on the main list, with a target requirement of between 36 and 38. We need to take a minimum of 3 in the national draft. I can't see we'll be able to pull our usual trick of delisting someone to pick up later in the rookie draft. So, we currently have 5 picks, and will lose one (#53 as it stands), thus I can see us trading something: either to get earlier into the draft, out to 2025, or some consolidation of picks simply not to lose #53.

We have 2 players on the rookie A list, so between 2 and 4 players able to added there (total list spots ML + RL "A" = 42). Our rookie B list is full (2 players), so any academy kids will go to the rookie A list. Along with any delisted players we might pick up later.

I would assume that we'll either choose 3 ML + 3 RL, or 4 ML + 2 RL.

Best chance to move up would presumably be St Kilda, with their two adjacent picks. If they take their No 1 target, and want some extra quantity and prepared to sacrifice a little quality, then maybe our picks 15 & 16 for their #8 might work out. Otherwise, I can't see too many clubs wanting to swap after that ... and if we swap in the early teens, we're probably trading a pick for very little (or zero) benefit.

If we ended up with picks 8, 21, 37 & 53, then I can see us ending up with Lindsay (#8), Oliver (#21), Smith (bid match with #53) and someone at #37 - which could be where one of those options such as Jack Ough and Floyd Burmeister might come in,

Alternatively, I could see us trade #16 into 2025, and take at #15 whoever is available that we like: Lindsay perhaps but probably unlikely to still be there, perhaps Oliver there and Tom Gross at #21.

Yeah. I was p*ssed off with the Swans at the time, but history favours us.

Hi giants

Would norths future 1 be an attractive trade target for you?

It’s been either pick 1 or pick 2 the last 4 years.
To us BF posters, I'm sure it would. In reality, I think the issue will be the price. If it's 15, 16 & future 1st (or more) for Norths future first - while I think that's a fair price - I doubt we do it because we do need to regenerate through the draft, and it would largely rub us out this year.

I suspect we would aim for only trading 15 & 16 (perhaps 37 as well) which probably gets us only to Saints pick 8, or around there; or, a simple swap of one of those for a future first, which would likely limit us to teams around the likely pointy end (Geelong, Bulldogs, Sydney).

Of course, in an even draft this year, they might be prepared to just take #21 & #37 and hope Logan Smith lasts past that pick - Caruso and the team have made bold trades in the past.

To us BF posters, I'm sure it would. In reality, I think the issue will be the price. If it's 15, 16 & future 1st (or more) for Norths future first - while I think that's a fair price - I doubt we do it because we do need to regenerate through the draft, and it would largely rub us out this year.

I suspect we would aim for only trading 15 & 16 (perhaps 37 as well) which probably gets us only to Saints pick 8, or around there; or, a simple swap of one of those for a future first, which would likely limit us to teams around the likely pointy end (Geelong, Bulldogs, Sydney).

Of course, in an even draft this year, they might be prepared to just take #21 & #37 and hope Logan Smith lasts past that pick - Caruso and the team have made bold trades in the past.

I was thinking simple F1 for 15 & 16

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back