List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO, Kemp should either be trialled as a third tall fwd which is a long shot but still worth trying or be groomed to replace Newman. Potentially an understudy to Mcgovern but im not overly excited by that due to his lack of body/leg strength in defending.

Kemp needs to be bigger than his opponent physically. Not smaller. Cant hold his feet in those scenarios. Great when he can get free run and jump only. As a Newman replacement he can run off his opponent in high ball situations and leap at the pack. His best strength. I'm guessing he could replace Newmans metres gained and possession count. Would have to be faster than Newman over 5-30 metres.

Kemp is almost being destroyed by the club's lack of a second defensive player. Mcgovern is our preferred interceptor and rebounder so Kemp is being forced into lock down.
Nothing wrong with Kemp in defence. The issue is he is not a KPD to be playing on a Hogan or Hawkins type. He's simply not big enough. Pretty straight forward I would've thought. They are throwing him under the bus if they continue to play him on the number one key forward.

Ed langdon still hasn't signed with Melbourne. I know it's a dream and we couldn't afford it but imagine acres on one wing and langdon on the other

Imagine how good our ball use would be! Great runner and a good player but damn, him and Acres kicking would give me a heart attack.

Imagine how good our ball use would be! Great runner and a good player but damn, him and Acres kicking would give me a heart attack.
To be fair Ollie's hasn't been much chop this year and we're still putting teams to the sword most weeks. Langdon is a fair bit better in the contest at this stage of their careers. Think the club will just back in Ollie to improve over the off season.

To be fair Ollie's hasn't been much chop this year and we're still putting teams to the sword most weeks. Langdon is a fair bit better in the contest at this stage of their careers. Think the club will just back in Ollie to improve over the off season.
+1

Add to that the Camporeale boys coming with wing one of the positional options.

It's literally be a 1 year play to bring in Langdon; otherwise killing Ollie and the Campo boys options.

Won't happen with Langdon.

May be delusional or playing favourites …

However still think Marchbank has a role to play this year…

Agree, I’d bring him back this week. Unfortunate for Kemp, don’t blame him, but he needed to be much better than he was and will learn and come back better for the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He sure does, depth.
In my opinion a fully fit Marchbank gets the nod over Kemp if it's season on the line stuff. I just think he's a more trustworthy competitor.

Love what Kempy brings and I want to see him keep playing games for experience but he needs to build his strength over the off season considerably if he's going to stay as a KPD down back. Marchbank is much harder for opponents to shake off in the contest.

I like the graphs on this website - provides a bit of context on development over time (albeit using AFL fantasy points):

Lemmey just building nicely. If we start to win a few more games he'll get more looks at it and the output will pick up as a result.

Jack's progression is very consistent. Love how he's building into a bonafide full time mid. How far he goes who knows? But he's getting better bit by bit.

Good to see the VFL guys have reached out to Hayes to help solidify things. Losing Dow, etc. out of the guts has hurt. Once the overall team performance improves the Motlops / Lemmeys / Moirs / etc. will start to look a million times better.

Nothing wrong with Kemp in defence. The issue is he is not a KPD to be playing on a Hogan or Hawkins type. He's simply not big enough. Pretty straight forward I would've thought. They are throwing him under the bus if they continue to play him on the number one key forward.
What was his position as a junior?
I’d like to see how he goes in another position.
I really hope we can find a young quality key defender in the next year or two, it’s a major worry if Weiters goes down

In my opinion a fully fit Marchbank gets the nod over Kemp if it's season on the line stuff. I just think he's a more trustworthy competitor.

Love what Kempy brings and I want to see him keep playing games for experience but he needs to build his strength over the off season considerably if he's going to stay as a KPD down back. Marchbank is much harder for opponents to shake off in the contest.

Time will tell. Kemp holds the spot because he is available more than once in a blue moon. I hope he stays there but if Marchy gets a crack and plays well then Kemp's spot is up in the air.

Weitering may need a week off with his 8 millionth corky of the season so Marchy may get a look-in.

You may think it's rubbish, I don't. The fact that you chose to use the word 'foreseeable' is telling.

We should have got more out of the draft in the last four years, plain and simple, the Saad and Cera trades notwithstanding. If that meant taking an extra kid here or there or even trading out a player with a bit more currency, then so be it. It's not the end of the world in the short to medium term but it isn't ideal.

We traded out Dow and Fisher for a slightly upgraded draft hand.

Cowan and Ollie were great gets but I count picks like Elijah as a pseudo draft pick (unproven youngster) and we've done very well on all fronts.

I like Lemmey's progression but I'd also like us to have a few more developing talls coming through. Which is why the FS rule is a bit of a double-edged sword. If we've identified a gap in the young talls it's a bit of a bummer having to use all your draft capital on 2 skinny young mids.

Having said that I think Ben in particular is going to be a star mid capable of playing AFL quite early in his career and will be a big win. Walker another gun mid the year after.

Time will tell. Kemp holds the spot because he is available more than once in a blue moon. I hope he stays there but if Marchy gets a crack and plays well then Kemp's spot is up in the air.

Weitering may need a week off with his 8 millionth corky of the season so Marchy may get a look-in.
I hope we give him an extra rest vs North or WCE or even the Stains without King. He's looked a bit proppy this season after the calf, the corkies etc. Need him at his best for finals.

I like the graphs on this website - provides a bit of context on development over time (albeit using AFL fantasy points):
look graph GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiggies won 3 flags by injecting more pace and a game style based on surging the ball forward

Filth did similar and so far won a flag.

Gws smashed us at our best with pace

Crows smashed us last year and also this year in melb with pace and speed of ball movement

I think we’ve taken huge steps to add layers to our game style - we are good with stoppage and turnover scoring.

I think our final tweak is to bring in some real zip into the side.

See how Motlop goes but we may need to keep one eye out for a speedy small and a speedy mid.

The KPD is a certain deficiency we need to fill.

Tiggies won 3 flags by injecting more pace and a game style based on surging the ball forward

Crows smashed us last year and also this year in melb with pace and speed of ball movement

I think we’ve taken huge steps to add layers to our game style - we are good with stoppage and turnover scoring.

See how Motlop goes but we may need to keep one eye out for a speedy small and a speedy mid.

Motlop is not speedy. He's a meatball who has the same turn of speed as 2024 Cripps just about

I really thought the Giants out ran us last night, out of defence, through the middle, so many players looked quick and so many of them were kids I didn’t know.

I haven’t seen Lord or Wilson but regardless of the Campo boys, we need to bring in more pace wherever we can

^ This 100%

When we do get taken apart, Giants Pies Crows Swans it’s the spread / overlap run / take-game-on making us look a bit one paced.

Want to see ‘Pacy mid’ and ‘KPD 2’ as top list priorities this year, and then, only after that, look to fit in Campos who are widely reported as not solving these key needs.

IMO premierships rest upon getting this right

This is not a Kemp or Marchbank problem guys, it's an Austin & Young/Durdin problem. The sooner we move on from Young & S.Durdin, the better IMO. You're expecting Kemp &/or Marchbank to be Darcy Moore or Harris Andrews. That's Young & Durdin's job. Nor are they built like Kevin "Cowboy" Neale or May where extra bulk helps them retain their position under the ball or in contested situations. Neither are big enough for the role you're expecting them to play.

Billy Wilson ?

Ed langdon still hasn't signed with Melbourne. I know it's a dream and we couldn't afford it but imagine acres on one wing and langdon on the other 😍
With the Campo boys about to come in we don't need anymore wingers on the list.

Still think our priorities are (in order):

1, Effective, tall key defender (not interceptor) - last weekend showed we're a little vulnerable in this space.
2, Outside, speedy ball user - Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra etc...not exactly 'break the lines' speed
3, Goalkicking, medium forward - Hayward was the ideal candidate, alas the search continues...

The optimist in me says Bill Wilson & Ashton Moir are for points 2 & 3 but it's too early to tell.

Last edited:

I consider the Tiger’s “dynasty” was predicated on pressure on the ball from midfield to high half forward being manic and precluding the opposition from clean connection to their forwards. They played a very tall backline Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin and others, with a couple of distributing rebounders. Players weren’t necessarily high possession, but blocked and tackled effectively. The constant criticism of Ollie H annoys me. He could certainly be better, but other than Acres, no one else on our list covers the ground “effectively” to break up oppo moves. He can improve, and our match committee needs to allow for his body to develop rather than running him ragged week after week. Voss has too much reliance on some of his role players to cover for offensively leaning stars.

We have the forwards, the stars and the workers (Castagna was no better player than any of our options for example). We have the extraction team and the connectors. We are vulnerable to a combination of manic movement and effective ball movement usually predicated on pace.

The zip you speak of, is more about intent and work rate than personnel. Our midfield is a quandary, all are quality, but defensive intent is low, and a couple go missing a bit when trying to run EFFECTIVELY behind the ball. They are not inclined or educated that way. Hewett is a huge question for mine structurally. I have him behind the other mids offensively, and he is nit a great defensive runner. Where he is priceless is closing down space around the contest. He nullifies more contests than he actually wins, but that in itself can be integral. We need to either deploy Elijah more defensively or drop a forward and allow Hewett a spot. (Thinking Cotts return was premature)

We have a quality defence, BUT they are vulnerable when oppo ball movement isolates some of our defenders. Kemp is nit a genuine KPD, he is better suited to 3rd tall, but the unaccountable McGovern has that spot tied up. Boyd is the “girl with the curl” defensively, great with ball in hand, excellent with a “job”, but gets lost structurally too often. Cowan is developing, and is absolutely worth persevering with, but is not (yet) infallible. I have mixed feelings on the possibility of Marchbank being added. He is a shadow of what he fleetingly showed us and has always promised to be. I am unsure what he will add. For mine, if he comes in, Boyd is the out, not Cowan on recent output. Anyone who thinks Kemp is an option to go out in the modern game is kidding themself. What we should not forget is that Marchy has been playing high, even wing in the twos, while Durdin, Young and Akuei are playing deeper. If Marchy was being considered to replace Kemp, surely he would be working as a key in the twos.

That is the now.

Our biggest priority has to be someone who can play genuine second banana KPD and effectively replace Weitering structurally if necessary. This has to be a draftee and we need the patience to develop that player. We will have our down days relying on Kemp as second KPD, but unless Young turns it around or Lemmey elevates quickly, we have to back it in with a support mechanism for a couple of years.

Looking at viable short term options around the league, I see only two and they are at the same club. If we can free up the list space I would chase Adam Tomlinson as a UFA at season’s end. He is athletic and plays taller than he is. Not getting a permanent gig in front of Lever and May, while they currently favour Tom McDonald (who is also UFA and out of contract and perhaps viable, despite being even older). The two names are simply because they are good enough and could come without draft capital.

Lewis Young remains a great disappointment, he has the skill set and has shown the capability, but for some reason, not the want to grab his career opportunity between his teeth. Contracted to the end of 2026 is concerning if he doesn’t maximise his talents as it limits our ability to develop the future. I loved his recruitment and was full of “I told you sos” when he initially stepped up. WTF Lewy?

I consider the Tiger’s “dynasty” was predicated on pressure on the ball from midfield to high half forward being manic and precluding the opposition from clean connection to their forwards. They played a very tall backline Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin and others, with a couple of distributing rebounders. Players weren’t necessarily high possession, but blocked and tackled effectively. The constant criticism of Ollie H annoys me. He could certainly be better, but other than Acres, no one else on our list covers the ground “effectively” to break up oppo moves. He can improve, and our match committee needs to allow for his body to develop rather than running him ragged week after week. Voss has too much reliance on some of his role players to cover for offensively leaning stars.

We have the forwards, the stars and the workers (Castagna was no better player than any of our options for example). We have the extraction team and the connectors. We are vulnerable to a combination of manic movement and effective ball movement usually predicated on pace.

The zip you speak of, is more about intent and work rate than personnel. Our midfield is a quandary, all are quality, but defensive intent is low, and a couple go missing a bit when trying to run EFFECTIVELY behind the ball. They are not inclined or educated that way. Hewett is a huge question for mine structurally. I have him behind the other mids offensively, and he is nit a great defensive runner. Where he is priceless is closing down space around the contest. He nullifies more contests than he actually wins, but that in itself can be integral. We need to either deploy Elijah more defensively or drop a forward and allow Hewett a spot. (Thinking Cotts return was premature)

We have a quality defence, BUT they are vulnerable when oppo ball movement isolates some of our defenders. Kemp is nit a genuine KPD, he is better suited to 3rd tall, but the unaccountable McGovern has that spot tied up. Boyd is the “girl with the curl” defensively, great with ball in hand, excellent with a “job”, but gets lost structurally too often. Cowan is developing, and is absolutely worth persevering with, but is not (yet) infallible. I have mixed feelings on the possibility of Marchbank being added. He is a shadow of what he fleetingly showed us and has always promised to be. I am unsure what he will add. For mine, if he comes in, Boyd is the out, not Cowan on recent output. Anyone who thinks Kemp is an option to go out in the modern game is kidding themself. What we should not forget is that Marchy has been playing high, even wing in the twos, while Durdin, Young and Akuei are playing deeper. If Marchy was being considered to replace Kemp, surely he would be working as a key in the twos.

That is the now.

Our biggest priority has to be someone who can play genuine second banana KPD and effectively replace Weitering structurally if necessary. This has to be a draftee and we need the patience to develop that player. We will have our down days relying on Kemp as second KPD, but unless Young turns it around or Lemmey elevates quickly, we have to back it in with a support mechanism for a couple of years.

Looking at viable short term options around the league, I see only two and they are at the same club. If we can free up the list space I would chase Adam Tomlinson as a UFA at season’s end. He is athletic and plays taller than he is. Not getting a permanent gig in front of Lever and May, while they currently favour Tom McDonald (who is also UFA and out of contract and perhaps viable, despite being even older). The two names are simply because they are good enough and could come without draft capital.

Lewis Young remains a great disappointment, he has the skill set and has shown the capability, but for some reason, not the want to grab his career opportunity between his teeth. Contracted to the end of 2026 is concerning if he doesn’t maximise his talents as it limits our ability to develop the future. I loved his recruitment and was full of “I told you sos” when he initially stepped up. WTF Lewy?

I always thought Tomlinson struggled to cement his spot because he is tall enough to be a key position o player but he plays more like a half back/half forward, he has really struggled to find a spot at Melb, so might want to move, I doubt see him as an upgrade on Kemp or Gov though, McDonald however is a lot stronger and has shown he can play at both ends, id really like him.

That is the now.

Good summary of where we are at.

We are certainly one of the power teams in the comp and feel most of the personnel and game style is there but need to continue tweaking here and there.

Having said that we are currently in a prime position to snag a flag this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back