List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

We've traded two midfielders who are best 22 at other clubs. Setterfield and Dow. We should never have traded for Hewett when we had Setterfield who plays a similar role and is a better kick. Now you want to trade Caroll. We have very little midfield depth.

lol. You’re seriously not suggesting Setterfield is better than Hewett?

Setterfield is the most overrated, ineffective, least damaging player to have donned the Carlton guernsey in years. Slow, untidy and uncompetitive.

Moving him on was exactly the right thing to do.

A ‘good kick’? Setterfield? Laughable. No penetration, loops his kicks when he gets it and simply doesn’t hurt the oppo.

I love where the list is at now. So many gaps have been filled and mostly internally from players I'd never have expected.

Small forwards have gone from worst in competition to performing really well, with Cottrell and Motlop to come back if they can even crack a game at this point.

Cincotta has changed the midfield mix to be better balanced between offense and defense and added more pace. Clearances feel a lot less boom or bust at the moment. De Koning's dominance in the ruck and at ground level is surely helping here too.

Now I just want more competition for wing spots which it seems like we're getting with the Camporeales, and another key defender.

Setterfield was on a best 22 wage and we wouldn't or couldn't offer it again but Essendon, his boyhood club could match the wage and offer first team footy.

We let him go for his career, didn't dump him.
yeah and he was actually pretty good until he got injured against us too. Seems to be struggling with the injury thing too. Maybe we sent him over there to spread our curse to them.

A couple of list spots and areas to fill but Austin and co have done a terrific job through trading and draft since his come on.
We are looking like a consistent and strong team now

Can someone explain why we overlooked Saad Al Houli?
It is a great question. My take is that we think Lord is better or Lord as that 5th or 6th midfielder is a more immediate need, given Carrol's form and development. However, I do question if Austin values contest and endurance over pace, class and disposal skills because after watching the VFL on Sunday, Houli is the precise type Carlton is missing

Even more strange after recruiting Hewett. I'm asking if chasing Hewett was necessary when we had Setterfield? Keep in mind Setterfield is only 26 years old. We need to target players with speed as this is a glaring issue. Trading Hewett for Setterfield isn't a great trade IMO
Setterfield is not in the same league as Hewett

Cowan and Kemp can both move into the midfield. I think the club knows this. McGovern a bit older and injury prone. Young and big durds not working out. Reckon there'll be a focus that end of the field. Options are good. If we find some gun 2nd talls and intercept types and can play and line up with even more flexibility.... That's a wet dream for the MC

DAmbrosio was traded after 16 games. Al-Hawli is yet to play an AFL game. Durham has played a dozen good games.
Let’s not get too carried away.
Exactly. Meanwhile, we also had Cincotta who totally shut down their best mid and kicked two clutch goals himself. I'd say we're doing all right with PSD/MSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield is too slow, but Dow or Setterfield were never going to fix that.

I was thinking about what some other clubs have done over the past few years… Collingwood dropping Mitchell, Crows leaving Crouch out for extended periods, Wines being shunted out of Port’s centre square… all clubs clearly have to find the right mix of pace, skill, defensive work in the midfield. Even highly accomplished players who can win the thing may not be in that right mix.

Our mix is too slow, and it’s not any one player’s fault, but good sides leave quality out and are ruthless. We need to keep tinkering and giving faster players bursts in the middle. An impactful fast player should be our trade target priority. I like what both Kennedy and Hewett bring, but if there was a faster more dynamic alternative on the list I suspect one of them would be missing out.

It’s almost our identity as a team, really, being strong contested inside players and it starts with the captain down. Nobody is saying we should move past Cripps as a primary midfield prime-mover, but the balance isn’t there today and we get exposed badly as slow when the ball isn’t in our hands.

Really hoping Wilson kicks on. Incredibly high ceiling and exactly what we need in the side. Probably still 18 months away from an AFL body but I'd play him as the sub at some point over the next 10 games to see what happens.

Really feel minimum changes will occur this off season. Thinking it’s all about youth tbh.

Cooper Lord already added and the Campo boys to come. That’s already a very good haul imo.
100% agree. I reckon we won't be terribly active in the trade period, but we'd likely be looking to trade in another younger player with an eye to the future.

I'm hoping we're having a good look at Konstanty and Stone....both young and not getting a good look in at their current clubs, with others currently in front of them. Konstansty I reckon could be very gettable - still only 19yo - former 1st round pick, but OOC the end of 2024.

The other is Eddie Ford if he's had a gutful of losing and looking to move on...also OOC the end of the year. Still only 21yo.

I've suggested it before but Haynes from GWS is still unsigned, quality player and dude, couldn't possibly think of better back up, free up two spots with Big Durds and Young gawn...be really cheap too, and give us a throw at the stumps for someone else (small forward like Liam Ryan for example, who is contracted but reckon gettable via Jack Carrol carrot)

100% agree. I reckon we won't be terribly active in the trade period, but we'd likely be looking to trade in another younger player with an eye to the future.

I'm hoping we're having a good look at Konstanty and Stone....both young and not getting a good look in at their current clubs, with others currently in front of them. Konstansty I reckon could be very gettable - still only 19yo - former 1st round pick, but OOC the end of 2024.

The other is Eddie Ford if he's had a gutful of losing and looking to move on...also OOC the end of the year. Still only 21yo.
Stone is the guy I want 🤞

So from a draft point of view you’d think we’d keep our first (17/18 ish) then take both Campo boys no need to take anymore after that if we go that way.

From a trade point of view would love to bring in a Zurhaar/LDU.Could also do with a CHB who’s not injury prone.

Not sure what we do with Carrol.

From a delist point of view I think most supporters agree on who they might be:
Marchbank/Martin/Cunners/SDurdin as a minimum.

Just spitballing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really feel minimum changes will occur this off season. Thinking it’s all about youth tbh.

Cooper Lord already added and the Campo boys to come. That’s already a very good haul imo.

There will be a contingency plan for if a big on Ben comes before our 1st pick and that may see us trading into the 2025 draft either a with a team we expect to finish middle to high (maybe a GWS/Sydney/Geelong type team with the hope they have a bad 2025.

The future already looks great for our club. Hopefully we can find some genuine pace and X factor through the midfield soon but I’m just not sure it’s in this offseason with us committed to both Campo boys.

I would be seriously pissed if we went in to trade period and didn’t seriously strengthen our best 22 for next season, we are in a position where we have access to two quality players at a discounted rate, which should allow us to be more aggressive come trade time.

We played in a prelim last season and had a trade period that didn’t reflect a club pushing hard to win a premiership, it was a trade period of a club who was still trying to balance a tight salary cap and i hope they succeeded.

Premiership windows dont stay open forever and the club who’s window has probably been open the longest has constantly given up 1st round picks and brought in mature players, we can’t just sit on our hands by just taking kids.

"Better" in context of longer term v immediate impact.

I'd be using the MSD for more immediate impact but understand the longer term strategy has merit too.

Austin said in the lead up to the MSD that they would use it as a chance to get ahead of the draft, as in the ND, i assuming they expected Lord to be popular in the ND and we got a 2nd or 3rd round player for a MSD pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back